Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2016, 15:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home

Great input there Swanilrules. Thanks a lot.
I have asked for a PDI and will ensure that I ask how the VIN needs to be decoded if there is a change.
And we can catch up for sure as long as it is a weekend :-)
Old 27th July 2016, 15:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Is 12 kmpl the mileage you are getting on the highway runs or regular city runs?
Yes with city run, the last fill of 21 liters yielded close to 255 kms inside Bangalore city on more or less peak timings, 1 thing I remember which was done on my car in the 3rd free service was a reset of the ECU. The service guy informed he had done a reset, I am not sure what he did but I would take his statement on face value since its yielding positive results

The resetting is not mandatory but I had complained about irregular idling and vibrations, he informed that they reset the ecu and then checked for errors and found nothing.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
Great input there Swanilrules. Thanks a lot.
I have asked for a PDI and will ensure that I ask how the VIN needs to be decoded if there is a change.
And we can catch up for sure as long as it is a weekend :-)
Sure thing, will PM you my number, and we can take if forward from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Yes with city run, the last fill of 21 liters yielded close to 255 kms inside Bangalore city on more or less peak timings, 1 thing I remember which was done on my car in the 3rd free service was a reset of the ECU. The service guy informed he had done a reset, I am not sure what he did but I would take his statement on face value since its yielding positive results

The resetting is not mandatory but I had complained about irregular idling and vibrations, he informed that they reset the ecu and then checked for errors and found nothing.
This is something that is on my to do list also for resetting the ECU. One of our bhpian LatentPotential has done it on his i10 AT, and since then has been getting decent fuel economy numbers, albeit negligible drop in acceleration.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:56   #34
BHPian

Meanwhile, the MID resetting issue has popped up again. This happened last Friday while driving down to home from office & occurred again on subsequent Monday while driving back to office. Haven't noticed it though ever since Monday. Will have to get it checked.

The rear wiper motor noise has glaringly increased and is kind of distracting for the rear passengers. Something got to be sorted there. Planning a quick dash to the service station this weekend to get both the issues rectified. Also in last 3 months of ownership now, till date the swing arm has come off at-least 7 times. So whenever I have gone down in the morning to the parking, I have seen the swing arm off the lock position. It is a real pain to put it back in the position as it has a double locking system. It is kind of frustrating as it takes some effort to fit it back. Not able to figure out who is messing with the rear wiper.

Another thing that I have been noticing ever since last two times that I have fueled up is that for good one or two hours, the smell of petrol lingers inside the cabin. And the smell is strong enough for not to be ignored. On both the occasions I got down thinking that probably the fuel cap is not fitted properly. But that is not the case. With AC in re-circulation mode, it sometimes get suffocating.

Is any one facing a similar issue? I have never faced this issue in any of my past cars.

Anything to worry about here? Anything not done properly at fuel pumps? Any heads up here?
Old 28th July 2016, 16:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, the MID resetting issue has popped up again. This happened last Friday while driving down to home from office & occurred again on subsequent Monday while driving back to office. Haven't noticed it though ever since Monday. Will have to get it checked.

The rear wiper motor noise has glaringly increased and is kind of distracting for the rear passengers....
This concerns me even before the car has arrived. More so because someone else got this issue too!
Not sure whether I should continue being petrified or its a one off thing.
Rear wiper noise, I believe Swanilrules, is only for you. Try persuading the works manager to replace the motor for you.

About the fuel smell inside the cabin, I experienced this on my Fiesta and it turned out to be the fuel quality and nothing else. I promptly switched to Shell and have never had the problem since.
Old 28th July 2016, 16:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is something that is on my to do list also for resetting the ECU. One of our bhpian LatentPotential has done it on his i10 AT, and since then has been getting decent fuel economy numbers, albeit negligible drop in acceleration.
Ok this is interesting I didn't know that someone else has also benefited and I did this process accidentally. I am not able to check about acceleration drop because I hardly get space to move the car in Bangalore traffic

Quote:
The above issue I also have been noticing and probably need to get it checked. All the trip meters are getting reset randomly. Today it happened for the 2nd time after the service.

Last edited by motomaverick : 28th July 2016 at 16:43.
Old 28th July 2016, 17:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sawnil,

First of all, apologies for the late reply. Was a bit tied up so I couldn't get time to go through the complete review. Went through it over the last couple of days. You have done a fantastic job with the review. Every minute detail has been covered. A great thread.

Now my comments on a couple of issues you faced:

1, Trip meter resetting: We faced this a couple of times on our Xcent. It hasn't re occurred in the last one month, though. We'll keep a watch.

2. Smell of fuel: Never had this issue in our car.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 09:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
This concerns me even before the car has arrived. More so because someone else got this issue too!
Not sure whether I should continue being petrified or its a one off thing.
Rear wiper noise, I believe Swanilrules, is only for you. Try persuading the works manager to replace the motor for you.

About the fuel smell inside the cabin, I experienced this on my Fiesta and it turned out to be the fuel quality and nothing else. I promptly switched to Shell and have never had the problem since.
I am planning to take the car tomorrow to the service station to rectify the issue. Will try and persuade to change the motor. Hopefully, that should resolve the matter

I doubt whether quality of fuel is an issue here, as on both these occasions, I had fueled up from two different fuel pumps. However, on my earlier occasions, this smell never came. So it is quite surprising & beyond my reasoning as to what has changed in last 2 occasions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Ok this is interesting I didn't know that someone else has also benefited and I did this process accidentally. I am not able to check about acceleration drop because I hardly get space to move the car in Bangalore traffic

The above issue I also have been noticing and probably need to get it checked. All the trip meters are getting reset randomly. Today it happened for the 2nd time after the service.

I am very much aware of the famed Bangalore traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Hey Sawnil,

First of all, apologies for the late reply. Was a bit tied up so I couldn't get time to go through the complete review. Went through it over the last couple of days. You have done a fantastic job with the review. Every minute detail has been covered. A great thread.

Now my comments on a couple of issues you faced:

1, Trip meter resetting: We faced this a couple of times on our Xcent. It hasn't re occurred in the last one month, though. We'll keep a watch.

2. Smell of fuel: Never had this issue in our car.

No worries mate; Job is Job, how much ever we love it or not

Meanwhile, the trip meter resetting issue is linked to the connectors in the car. However, what I fail to understand is, what is making the connectors to loosen up so often. & if many of us are facing the same issue, then it definitely is a design issue & nothing to do with any particular person's driving style.
Old 29th July 2016, 16:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
if many of us are facing the same issue, then it definitely is a design issue & nothing to do with any particular person's driving style.
Exactly! The Hyundai Grand i10 official review thread is filled with the same issue reported by at least 5-6 fellow BHPians. Check somewhere around page 50 ish..
Since it does not have a DTE or average fuel consumption reading on the MID, the trip meters are your best bet to understand how you car is guzzling. Resetting it is not a good thing. Hyundai should come up with a fix soon. Its so lame to be continuing with a known bug.
Old 30th July 2016, 20:27   #40
BHPian

Saturday morning; awesome weather, camera & car at your disposal, what you do is this...

One of the best things of living towards North Mumbai is your proximity to the nature (read as Sanjay Gandhi National Park) famously known SNGP. Monsoon season, and SNGP turns into heaven for nature lovers. A perfect place to chill out over the weekends. Once, inside you simply forget that you are in Mumbai. The best time to enjoy this nature trail is early morning, much before the sun rises to its whole glory

However, after hectic 5 days, it is mostly impossible to be up early, especially on the weekends. However, last Saturday was different. What I did last Saturday was this

7:00 hrs

I get up from bed to do casually glance out of the window through curtains; its gloomy out, can rain any time kind of a situation. I make a random call to a friend of mine to check whether he is awake to. The phone rings, and he picks up the call in the 5th ring

Me: Hi Morning bro

Friend: Morning

Me: What plans

Friend: Just got up

Me: Let's go to SNGP, weather out is just perfect for a photo-shoot, what say

Friend: Hmm, sounds good, lets start by 8

Me: Naah, that would be too late, 7:30 I did say

Friend: Alright, sounds good, lets meet up at 7:30

Me: Cool, see you at 7:30

7:35 hrs

I Pick up the phone, car keys, and meet up with this friend. Pick him up, pack the equipment, check the battery levels and we leave for the park for the photo shoot. We reach the park at 7:45 hrs at the entrance, get the formalities of entering the park done and then down we go deep inside the nature trail to find that perfect place to shoot the car. After almost 15 minutes of the drive inside, just off shoulder towards the road which goes towards the famous Kanheri caves, we found our spot. We park the car, out comes the cameras & we begin clicking. Many by-standers and other tourists in thought we must be mad as instead of clicking the nature, these two guys are clicking the car.

Nevertheless, now let the pictures do some talking

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7053.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7056.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7057.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7064.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7067.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7070.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7098.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7100.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7101.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7102.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7104.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7105.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7107.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7109.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7111.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7112.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7114.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7116.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7122.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7120.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7126.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7130.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7128.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7131.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7132.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7133.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7134.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7136.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7140.jpg

Equipment used: iPhone 6 & Canon DSLR 550D

Time Taken: just shade close to 03:00 hrs

After clicking more than some 100 odd photos, have tried to choose the best 30 and upload them here.

Do let me know how you liked them

A big shout out to friend, and anything on wheels lover Balaji Iyer for accompanying me and clicking along side.
sawnilrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 14:58   #41
BHPian

Update post the Service Station visit for solving the niggles

I visited the service center on this Saturday, as last weekend due to heavy rains, did not venture out on the roads. I wanted to get the wiper motor checked, ECU remapping (for better fuel economy) & check the audio system for not re-playing the songs via Bluetooth.

Reached the service station at 10:00 & since I had already called up Bhavin, was not required to wait. The car was taken in inventory & Shishir from Telematics, Parag from Mobis India Ltd (A Subsidiary of Hyundai India) who supplies the AV & electronics support to Hyundai & Bhavin started looking at solving the issues.

For Wiper Motor Issue

Bhavin and I heard the sound wiper motor made while sitting inside the car. Then we sat in another Grand i10 which had come for servicing to notice the difference in sound. There was marginal difference in the sound that the motor made. The sound of the motor fitted in my car had sound one note higher than what actually it should make. Bhavin suggested to replace the motor and as the motor was not in stock, order was placed at plant. I should be getting the motor replaced by coming Saturday.

For ECU Remapping

Shishir & I sat in the car and connected the scanner to the OBD Port of car. Now apparently, the scanner did not throw any maps available for this version of the car. Possibly the software update was required for the scanner.

For Audio System

The issue faced with audio system was, if the songs are playing from the phone, and if I receive a call or make a call, once disconnecting the call, the music doesn’t restart. Either the mode has to be changed or the system has to be restarted. It gets quite irritating when you are driving. Parag from Mobis India, & I paired the phone in another grand i10 to see, if the same issue happens in other car. Surprisingly in another grand i10, the songs started replaying from the moment the call got disconnected. Later on we realized that it can be an issue with the phone platform as well, as the phone we tested was android. We paired the same phone in my car and then played the music, answered a call, disconnected the call & voila the song started playing. So now it was clear that iPhone was the culprit here. As we were testing this, Shishir entered the scene, being a technology guy, he said, why not pair the iPhone in the other car and check whether it works the same way as in my car.

We paired my iPhone in another grand i10, played the music, attended the call, disconnected the call & voila the song continued playing. Did this activity multiple times to just be sure. But every time that we disconnected the call, the songs used to play. So that means, the phone was not a problem here but the audio system was.

However, we also realized that the Grand i10 in which we were testing the phone, had a different audio player as that system came with CD player, however the Grand which I have, does not have a CD player. So on this, Parag is going to check with Mobis whether they have altered any module in the audio system, if not and if Mobis says that even after pairing the system with iPhone, songs should start playing immediately after disconnecting the call, then they are going to change the audio system too.

Meanwhile, I had ordered a pair of Silicon Key Cover for Grand via Amazon, & they have come. The quality is really nice & costed me INR 370/- (inclusive of delivery charges). The texture on the silicon cover is nice, and feels good to hold in hand

The link is below; who wants to buy the key is below. (Same cover can be used for i20 & Creta)

http://www.amazon.in/Keyzone-Silicon...ilpage_o01_s00

Attaching the pictures of Keys

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_5784.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_5785.jpg

Attaching the pictures of Service Station

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_5748.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_5749.jpg

Anyone interested in knowing more about Mobis, below is the link. They apparently are the OEM suppliers for Hyundai globally.

http://www.mobistc-india.com/company/india
Old 11th January 2017, 13:31   #42

Amazing thread this is Sawnirules. Love your passion for the car and the way you have showcased. Could you please let us know what all they cover in interior detailing and the price for the same?

Also, my mother keeps complaining that it feels like she is sitting in a ditch and not able to see anything much outside from the rear seat of my grand i10. She is used sitting in a santro.

Is that the case with others also?
trichy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 14:28   #43
BHPian

Hey mate,

Sorry for the delayed response. Got stuck in work, and just could not update the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichy View Post
Amazing thread this is Sawnirules. Love your passion for the car and the way you have showcased. Could you please let us know what all they cover in interior detailing and the price for the same?
Well, the cost of interior detailing really varies depending on the amount of work needed. The pricing starts for a hatchback for as low as INR 400 and goes right upto INR 1200. Again as I said, it depends on level of detailing needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichy View Post
Also, my mother keeps complaining that it feels like she is sitting in a ditch and not able to see anything much outside from the rear seat of my grand i10. She is used sitting in a santro.

Is that the case with others also?
Well that can be attributed to the low sung nature of the car. Remember, the original i10 was a tall boy design, but this one is not really a tall boy design. That can be the reason that you mother could be feeling like sitting in the ditch. Also, what adds is a high window line at the rear for that kind of feeling IMO.

I am sure it would have felt claustrophobic at the rear had that rear quarter panel glass been absent as in the international versions.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 15:51   #44
BHPian

8000 kms and 11 months up- An Update

11 months have passed by and so far the car has performed flawlessly. In the month of October the car met with a minor accident. Happened in the evening as wifey was leaving from office to home. She was taking a right-hander turn outside her office building, when an auto fellow who had seen the car taking a turn, inside of slowing down tried to show his heroism and ended up brushing on the front bumper. Because of his angle of departure, he ended up tearing up the bumper corner. He was so petrified probably after hitting the car that he didn’t even bother to get down and check and fled away.

Thankfully wifey was unhurt, while the car was hurt. She bought the car home, as next day we had a flight for Goa to catch, I left the car as it is parked in the garage and decided to send it for insurance claim once we were back from Goa.

Dent and torn front bumper

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_7185.jpg

We returned in a weeks’ time and on the subsequent Monday morning I handed over the car to the service station under insurance claim for repairs. The service guys took 4 days to get the car back on the road. The quality of job done was top notch.

I now don’t get to drive the car much. I end up driving it rarely that too when there is some grocery work to be undertaken. The car has already clocked 8000+ kms on the ODO and it still does what it is supposed to do very well. That is ferry my wife to and fro from work to home. The fuel efficiency figures have not really improved. They still hover at 8 kmpl. As it gets driven only in the city and mostly in bumper to bumper traffic everyday, I don’t expect the FE to go upwards even after the second service which is due next month.

Meanwhile, new chain of events, I ended up selling the Honda City in December 2016 and up picking the Skoda Octavia 1.8 Tsi for myself after lot of deliberation and delays. The detailed review is already up on the forum. Do read and let me know how you liked the review. The link for that is here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-disorder.html

With the advent of Octavia, now Grand i10 accompanies us for the monthly grocery shopping as I am not really comfortable handing over the Octavia to the wallet guys. Initially I was skeptical with her ability to absorb all the shopping bags. But I was pleasantly surprised when that tiny looking boot of the car was able to swallow 3 large size and 2 medium size and 3 small size bags without any fuss. Since then, it has become a regular affair to take the Grand i10 for monthly shopping. That is the only time I really get to drive the car.

Few things which I have really started appreciating about the car
  • It is an extremely convenient car to drive around in bumper to bumper traffic
  • Comes with an ease where it can be parked anywhere without being fussy about the size of the car
  • AC chills the cabin in no time, which is a positive thing as well as negative thing. Positive during those hot summer days and negative as during winters’ car gets really chilly inside. One gets distracted while driving as he/she has to keep fiddling with the manual temperature controller rotary knob
  • The quality of interiors overall is holding up well with no rattling or squeaking noises from anywhere. If this would have been a Maruti, for sure I would have to sit up and make a note of all those noises so that the same can be rectified during service.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with the car till date no issues whatsoever. I am posting the photos of the car with my new beauty alongside for viewing pleasure. Enjoy!!!

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_9059.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-17308700_10154506804418284_1691143620700082791_n.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-14717144_10154506804413284_8350473500271807366_n.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-17308726_10154506804423284_7416291343068747301_n.jpg
sawnilrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 13:03   #45
BHPian

14000 KMS update.

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) AT comes home-img_3304.jpg

Just to update,14000 km came up on the ODO just yesterday. So far the car has been performing well. As the car gets driven only in the city, the fuel efficiency has settled to around 7-8 kmpl in dense traffic both ways. There is one particular problem that I am facing, and I am speculating it to the throttle position sensor and the air intake manifold sensor. Even on the idle, the engine rpm keeps going up and down. Just as if in old-school Ambassador of Padmini's with carburettors. Hope you get what I mean here. Have uploaded a video of the same below.

The car

I think, throttle body cleaning could solve the problem or else I may have to look somewhere else for the diagnostic if that doesn't solve the problem.

Guys, do let me know what are your thoughts, and if you are facing similar problems.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed