Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2016, 18:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport

Congratulations on your new X1 and you have drafted a brilliant 5 star review. The new X1 looks fabulous and i really like the interiors in this new M sport trim, the m sport steering and this new leather stitching on the gearbox console do stand out. This new X1 is indeed the best in segment now, the GLA and Q3 are too cramped in comparison and look a size smaller.

Being a BMW, it drives very well and with BSI + extended warranty, it gives complete peace of mind. I have clocked 7k kms on my 320D and i assure you that you would not be able to wipe the grin off your face when you mash the throttle in sports mode after run in.

Drive safe and have loads of fun, how is the new Aisin gearbox compared to the 8 speed ZF if you driven the 3 series as well?
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 09:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post

Thanks. Yes the gear lever is different from the usual Joy stick that you find in other BMWs since the transmission is AISIN and not the ZF unit that you find in the other Bimmers. It looks a little long for my liking and I would have preferred the joy stick, though mechanically it is quite easy to operate

You did test drive the X3, that comes with the ZF Unit, how do you find the performance of this unit as compared to the AISIN that you have in X1? Are you also intending to upgrade the tires set-up as I always found the stock run-flats on harder side.
Old 26th July 2016, 09:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride, nurni76. New Gen X1 looks much better than the old gen and it looks absolutely swell in white!

Wish you thousands of happy miles on your Beemer.
Old 26th July 2016, 10:34   #19
BHPian

Congrats Hari! Looks great though I agree tan leather interiors would look swell. No option to change the leather seats within BMW?

Btw, repeating a question asked by someone else too - did you buy BSI or only the assure insurance (or whatever it is called) in your 50L OTR price?
Hells Bells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 11:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Thanks! The gear box in terms of operation is slick, I did not find a significant difference between this and the X3 which I drove (has the ZF unit). I haven't driven the old X1 and hence wouldn't be able to compare the two.

Yes these floor mats are BMW ones. I am yet to get the complimentary ones from the dealer. Should be getting them in a week's time. Yes mods are something on my mind, but not any time soon. Would love to have Bimmer meet in Bangalore
Yes! Indeed we should have a meet soon
I still haven't gotten around buying those mats yet!
Have a look at the M Performance Mats.
How's the ride on the M Performance suspension given its lower by 10mm than the Standard Suspension.

Last edited by #enzowho : 26th July 2016 at 11:27.
Old 26th July 2016, 11:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Congrats Hari! Looks great though I agree tan leather interiors would look swell. No option to change the leather seats within BMW?

Btw, repeating a question asked by someone else too - did you buy BSI or only the assure insurance (or whatever it is called) in your 50L OTR price?
Thanks Hells Bells, Yes Tan leather is going to be a pain to maintain. Need to get a 3M Car care kit asap. I tried a lot to get the Mocha interiors but couldn't manage. Not sure if there are options now.

No, I haven't opted for the BSI, just the basic Insurance that comes as part of the package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Congratulations on your new ride, nurni76. New Gen X1 looks much better than the old gen and it looks absolutely swell in white!
Wish you thousands of happy miles on your Beemer.

Thanks! Agree Mineral White looks very good. In fact as per the latest brochure on bmw.in, mineral white is available only on M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
You did test drive the X3, that comes with the ZF Unit, how do you find the performance of this unit as compared to the AISIN that you have in X1? Are you also intending to upgrade the tires set-up as I always found the stock run-flats on harder side.
Yes, I TD the X3 for about 15KMs. I couldn't find a major difference between the 2 in terms of performance. No intentions of upgrading the tire. Dealer urged me against replacing the RFT with tubeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Congratulations on your new X1 and you have drafted a brilliant 5 star review. The new X1 looks fabulous and i really like the interiors in this new M sport trim, the m sport steering and this new leather stitching on the gearbox console do stand out. This new X1 is indeed the best in segment now, the GLA and Q3 are too cramped in comparison and look a size smaller.

Drive safe and have loads of fun, how is the new Aisin gearbox compared to the 8 speed ZF if you driven the 3 series as well?
The new gearbox is good and I couldn't find a major difference between the 2 though I only drove the X3 for around 15Kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Congratulations! Great Review! I wish you many safe and enjoyable miles of motoring in your new car.

I saw the new X1 in a brilliant blue shade next to HSR vehicles and the new model has really grown up compared to the older version. Looks a lot more 'butch' now! I wish BMW would start putting larger diameter exhaust tips. The ones on the X1 and the 3-series look way too puny.
Thanks mate. Agreed this new X1 looks a lot more butch. I liked the dual exhaust tips and not really a fan of very large diameter pipes!
Old 26th July 2016, 13:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the car! The new X1 is definitely a looker. Especially in the MSport variant!

To use launch control follow these steps.
  • Put the car in Sport or Sports+ Mode
  • Push the Gearbox lever to the left side, so it's in M/S mode.
  • Press the brake completely (push it all the way in) with your left foot
  • Press the accelerator with your right foot till you see a Launch Active on the console
  • Leave the brake and keep the accelerator pressed when you want to launch the car

Just make sure you don't do this too often since it will cause wear on the engine/gearbox. It's addictive
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 22:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #enzowho View Post
Yes! Indeed we should have a meet soon
I still haven't gotten around buying those mats yet!
Have a look at the M Performance Mats.
How's the ride on the M Performance suspension given its lower by 10mm than the Standard Suspension.

Ok will look at those. The ride on the X1 is on the firm side especially over sharp edges at low to medium speeds. As you gain speeds you don't feel the sharp edges as much. But the stiffer suspension is a boon for the handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Congratulations on the car! The new X1 is definitely a looker. Especially in the MSport variant!

To use launch control follow these steps.
  • Put the car in Sport or Sports+ Mode
  • Push the Gearbox lever to the left side, so it's in M/S mode.
  • Press the brake completely (push it all the way in) with your left foot
  • Press the accelerator with your right foot till you see a Launch Active on the console
  • Leave the brake and keep the accelerator pressed when you want to launch the car

Just make sure you don't do this too often since it will cause wear on the engine/gearbox. It's addictive

Thanks. I have seen YouTube videos on the launch control but was not sure it was there on X1 since the sales executive at the dealer mentioned it may not be there on X1. I have seen these instructions now in the vehicle user manual. Will try it after the engine run in provided I get an empty and long stretch of road.
Old 28th July 2016, 00:09   #24
BHPian

congratulations on the new buy. I've been driving the previous gen X1 for a year and a half now and I think that was the best decision I made. It does has a few downers like the not so good ride on patchy roads but from the reviews online the present gen has that sorted.

As for the noisy bridgestone run flats, I would suggest you look at Yoko when you change your tyres because the Yoko runflats are very quiet. Mine came with Conti runflats and they were absolutely horrid. I got it changed at 24k kms out of sheer frustration even though the SA said they were good for another 7-8k kms
Old 28th July 2016, 18:44   #25
BHPian

Many congratulations on your new buy. If I am not wrong, then yours is the first 2016 X1 on the forum.
Wise you safe and happy motoring.
Old 28th July 2016, 22:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
congratulations on the new buy.

As for the noisy bridgestone run flats, I would suggest you look at Yoko when you change your tyres because the Yoko runflats are very quiet. Mine came with Conti runflats and they were absolutely horrid. I got it changed at 24k kms out of sheer frustration even though the SA said they were good for another 7-8k kms

Thanks Zombiedriver. Yes the tire noise is something that is bothering me. I thought Bridgestones were less noisy compared to Pirellis. Will have to wait for a long time to replace the tires though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Many congratulations on your new buy. If I am not wrong, then yours is the first 2016 X1 on the forum.

Wise you safe and happy motoring.

Thanks a lot. Yes probably the first 2nd generation X1 MSport and the first new X1 review, but there was someone else who got car before me.
Old 1st August 2016, 07:51   #27
BHPian

Took my M Sport for a longish drive yesterday (150kms). The drive on the highway was sheer bliss. The car in Eco pro mode is super silent. Up shifts happen at around 1400 RPM and are very quiet. I managed to improve my average from 11.6Kmpl to 12.5 kmpl during this stint. If one wants to get a great fuel efficiency figure, think nothing beyond Eco pro mode. Also managed short bursts of Sports mode and used the paddle shifters occasionally. Again for spirited driving using paddles really works. I however switched back to eco pro mode as there were hardly roads to continue on Sports mode. Really enjoyed the drive yesterday.
nurni76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 20:34   #28
BHPian

A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport

Went on a 4 day trip with my "sheer driving Pleasure" to Hyderabad. Covered over 1500 Kms. The overall drive was fantastic. The car is supremely stable at highway speeds. When the road is smooth, one hardly hears any noise, except for a slight wind noise and tyre noise. The engine is extremely smooth and refined. I did some short bursts of acceleration, but never exceeded 2.5k RPM. What was even more amazing was the mileage. The entire trip gave me a mileage of 17kmpl. That was not expected from a 2 Ltr engine. Waiting for the run in period to end to test the engine to its limits. However I am yet to find the optimal driving position. I had a lot of knee and hip pain after the drive. Guess I need to get used to the different height and angles compared to my Ertiga. A tryst with Sheer Driving Pleasure - My BMW X1 xDrive 20d M-Sport-imageuploadedbyteambhp1471273399.821760.jpg

That's my MSport next to its elder sibling.

Last edited by nurni76 : 15th August 2016 at 20:38.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 13:39   #29
BHPian

Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience nurni76!

I am planning to buy the X1 next month and am divided between the sDrive xLine and the M Sport variant. The on road price difference between the two is around 7 lakhs (in Gurgaon) and I am not sure which one I want to buy.

My original budget was 40 lakhs on road but I can stretch it to 45 lakhs and I think I can get the M Sport variant on road for 46 lakhs on road. Whereas the sDrive xLine would be 39 lakhs on road.

Since you've owned the car for some time now, do you think the M Sport is worth the extra you paid? And do you think AWD makes more sense than FWD since on normal roads, even the AWD runs as a FWD (from what I know).

I don't really care so much for the AWD as I won't be offroading, but would appreciate your input on AWD vs FWD. Thanks!
mohittater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 08:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohittater View Post
Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience nurni76!

I am planning to buy the X1 next month and am divided between the sDrive xLine and the M Sport variant. The on road price difference between the two is around 7 lakhs (in Gurgaon) and I am not sure which one I want to buy.

My original budget was 40 lakhs on road but I can stretch it to 45 lakhs and I think I can get the M Sport variant on road for 46 lakhs on road. Whereas the sDrive xLine would be 39 lakhs on road.

I don't really care so much for the AWD as I won't be offroading, but would appreciate your input on AWD vs FWD. Thanks!
Mohit, I am assuming that in your case budget is really not a constraint since you can stretch upto 45L. I went in for the MSport over the Xdrive X line for the following features: Navigation Maps, Head Up display, Pure Leather seats with the added thigh support and of course the cool looking alloys and steering wheel. Based on my experience, the Head Up display is really cool and worth having. It is not only informative, but keeps your eyes on the road as well. I haven't really had an opportunity to go on an off-road (besides GC is just 165mm and it is no off-roader), but the AWD is really helpful in normal conditions as well. I haven't driven the S drive, but AWD makes the drive feel as close to a traditional rear wheel drive Bimmer. So in case of driving pleasure as well the Xdrive would be better than the S drive. IMHO, if you can you should stretch and get the MSport. You will not regret the experience
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks