Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2017, 15:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
10k Service update

Total Cost 4314.
Good to know that 10K service cost was reasonable. Can you post the invoice or the cost break-up over here please?.

Quote:
They did not make any specific claim on the mileage but said with replaced oil & cleaned air filter, it should improve. Again, will wait & watch. (did not know air filter was only replaced every 40k km).
The cleaning of air filter should definitely help the engine breathe easy and prevent the black smoke (which is mostly the unburnt fuel). 40K is too long a duration for air filter replacement. It should be 20K, especially given our dusty environment.

Quote:
BTW, got the interiors done in leather at Stanley. Cost 80k.The rest will happen over the next couple of weeks.
Sir pictures please. No words would ever be able to describe your Stanley upholstery. So please post a lot of pictures. Can't wait to see those.
Old 7th January 2017, 17:56   #62
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, got the interiors done in leather at Stanley.
Can you please post the pictures of the interiors in leather?
Old 7th January 2017, 19:02   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They kept the car for 2 days as the black smoke was a warranty claim.
So did they found out the reasons, has the problem sorted now?

Quote:
got the interiors done in leather at Stanley.
Do share more details like what are the options and your recommendations. Pictures will be nice
Old 8th January 2017, 21:55   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
So did they found out the reasons, has the problem sorted now?
No. Basically they have said that it is working as designed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Good to know that 10K service cost was reasonable. Can you post the invoice or the cost break-up over here please?.

The cleaning of air filter should definitely help the engine breathe easy and prevent the black smoke (which is mostly the unburnt fuel). 40K is too long a duration for air filter replacement. It should be 20K, especially given our dusty environment.
Attached the relevant portion of the invoice.
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-img_20170108_212838160.jpg

They tried to charge me for the wheel rotation & the usual windshield wiper. Talked them out of it.

And yeah, they figured out how to make the number of blinks for lane change 5 (instead of the default 3)!

Quote:
Do share more details like what are the options and your recommendations. Pictures will be nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
Can you please post the pictures of the interiors in leather?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

Sir pictures please. No words would ever be able to describe your Stanley upholstery. So please post a lot of pictures. Can't wait to see those.
By popular demand, the interiors! ...

I rejected the base version of the leather & the Auto version. Both were about 60 - 65k, if I remember. The Napa was about 125k. Did not think it was worth it.

Went with Scandinavian - Fading Light & Forest. (I cannot get rid of the feeling that they did not actually put in Fading light! I thought Fading light was more grey based. SO, please do take good quality photos of whatever colour you choose.)

The overall look - the green follows the OE fabric cutouts
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_124306242.jpg

Front Seats: Mild gathering in the back rest
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_dsc1439.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_dsc1440.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_dsc1477.jpg

They did a very nice job on the console as well

Detail on the stitching
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_dsc1441.jpg

The door pads were replaced too. The front & the back pad had different approaches to getting the required shape. I thought this was top quality work.

Front:
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_dsc1444.jpg

Back:
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_dsc1446.jpg

The rear seats. (Ignore the neck rests. Those are legacy from the Innova)
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_dsc1448.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_dsc1449.jpg

The last row - They also provided pockets in the back of the 2nd row seats:
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_dsc1466.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_dsc1467.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-sp_20170108_crysta_dsc1450.jpg

For some reason, they are reluctant to do the handbrake boot, Handbrake handle, the gear knob, the gear lever boot & the steering wheel. All these have been done by default in all other cars that I have owned.
sridhu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 22:13   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They tried to charge me for the wheel rotation
even though you paid them for Wheel Balancing, so they were asking money for the hard work in instructing someone to put the wheels the other ways after balancing

Quote:
& the usual windshield wiper.
You mean wiper fluid, that's mostly extra

Quote:
They did a very nice job on the console as well
Agree, this looks very neatly done. Worth the money surely. So do they have fixed rates or you have to haggle and are these company owned showrooms?
Old 9th January 2017, 05:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean wiper fluid, that's mostly extra
Of course! My bad.

Quote:
Agree, this looks very neatly done. Worth the money surely. So do they have fixed rates or you have to haggle and are these company owned showrooms?
This was done at Stanley directly. At Ecity showroom. Prices are sort of fixed but you always get a 7-10% discount.

Last edited by sridhu : 9th January 2017 at 05:46.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 11:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

Just thought I would share - noticed that the odo had hit 11,111 today when I left for work. Droll enough to share here, I think.

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-crysta-11111.jpg

Hopefully, I will notice & record it when the odo touches 12,345!
sridhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 14:30   #68
Senior - BHPian

20K Service Update

Got the 20k service done.

The service bill attached. Cost was 12.7k (Actually 10k for the service and 2.5k for taxes. GULP!):

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-1.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-2.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-3.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-4.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-5.jpg

No major issues. Most of the cost is basically due to the shift to synthetic. The car seems a little bit less noisy but that could be the 'wallet effect'!

Observations

AC Filter
I had replaced the AC filter at 14.5k. Now, it was really dirty and they replaced it. I normally drive in the city with the re-circulation on.
I think the scheduled interval of 20k is nonsense. At least I would replace it every 5 k and consider it 1.5k spent well.
Current Mileage
The current mileage setting seems to vary wildly despite no major change in engine rpm or speed. I saw single digit numbers all the way up to 99.9 kmpl.
I do not remember this being the case earlier. Told the service call person about it & she said somebody will call back. Did not happen.

Nothing else seems to be affected so have not pursued it.

The Video:

Everything else seems OK. The mileage seems to have picked up marginally. Getting around 11.5

The 10-20k overall mileage as measured by the car was around 10.8 kmpl (I reset the trip meter on the ICE every major service of 10k. So, this is average over all the 10k kms.)

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2017 at 17:55. Reason: Correcting pic orientation :)
sridhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 18:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
20K Service Update

Got the 20k service done.

The service bill attached. Cost was 12.7k (Actually 10k for the service and 2.5k for taxes. GULP!)
Did you ask for the synthetic oil or is it that with the crysta, Toyota recommends synthetic over mineral?

12k service cost seems reasonable since, 6000 INR is spent on the synthetic oil alone.

And I'm happy that the diesel fuel filter is not changed. Toyota seems to be using the same filter technology of the old Innova and etios diesels where you don't need to replace it unless when it gets clogged.

Since, you seem to be doing alignment and balancing regularly along with service, it would be a good idea to opt for the Toyota smiles pack. You'll get around 10 to 15% discount when you pay for 2 services. There are other surprise freebies as well like interior cleaning. I got it with my second service after opting for smiles on my Etios.

Quote:
Current Mileage
The current mileage setting seems to vary wildly despite no major change in engine rpm or speed. I saw single digit numbers all the way up to 99.9 kmpl.
I do not remember this being the case earlier. Told the service call person about it & she said somebody will call back. Did not happen.

Nothing else seems to be affected so have not pursued it.
Logically, instantaneous mileage should vary from infinity to single digit figures. This is applicable even on constant speed. for example, if you are travelling at 40 kmph on an even surface, and there is a slight downward slope, the ecu detects that the load on the engine has come down drastically and might even cut off the fuel completely. This is called DFCO or deceleration fuel cut off. Based on the load, it can be a complete cut off or a marginal one. If it's completely cut off, the instantaneous mileage should be at infinity because fuel usage is zero and the vehicle is still moving at a speed.

Even in your video, I have noticed that the speedometer slightly is on the way up when the instantaneous mileage comes down and when it decelerates, the mileage goes sky rocketing which is the expected behavior. When you give throttle, regardless of the speed you are in, the instantaneous mileage will come down drastically and once you are in a cruising speed and that speed is maintained, the same accelerator input will give a much better mileage. That's because regardless of your accelerator input, the ecu intelligently does a lot of things in the background.

I've tested a lot of scenarios in which the instantaneous mileage varies wildly on my Etios ( using a combination of the OBD2 bluetooth adapter and Torque pro android app ). The response of the ECU to real world situations is close to instantaneous! For eg:-, when you take a small dip, the instantaneous mileage will first decrease and then increase at the moment you enter the dip and then the moment you start coming out of it . This is because the ecu responds really fast to the variations in engine load and adjusts the fuel flow accordingly.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th August 2017 at 08:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged, YouTube URL removed from quoted post.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 20:40   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Did you ask for the synthetic oil or is it that with the crysta, Toyota recommends synthetic over mineral?
I asked for it.

Quote:

Since, you seem to be doing alignment and balancing regularly along with service, it would be a good idea to opt for the Toyota smiles pack. You'll get around 10 to 15% discount when you pay for 2 services. There are other surprise freebies as well like interior cleaning. I got it with my second service after opting for smiles on my Etios.
I remember doing it for my earlier Innova in 2006 or something. Nobody has sold this to me until now. Thought it had been scrapped.

I am very regular in service & oil change; so it makes sense to take it.

Quote:

Logically, instantaneous mileage should vary from infinity to single digit figures. T...
I thought as much; I saw this when I tried out my friend's OBD reader. However, I did not remember my setting varying so wildly in the first 20k. Maybe I had average after refueling set up and just mis-remembered.

The funny thing is, Toyota does not seem to have much clue about this. To be fair, they are trying. But the technician tried to tell me that I need to reset the MID every time. Told him that only affects the average after reset and not the current mileage. They went silent. This morning they have sent an sms saying that I should setup an appointment so that they can clarify what I should do. I am baffled as I had only asked for information - "Is this normal?"
Old 24th August 2017, 14:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

I have bought a Crysta 2.4 recently and notice that gearbox is quite notchy. Shifting to 3,4,5 and R are quite ok, but 1st and 2nd are very notchy. Did you notice this during initial days? Should I expect any improvement post 1st oil change?
Old 6th September 2017, 12:01   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I have bought a Crysta 2.4 recently and notice that gearbox is quite notchy. Shifting to 3,4,5 and R are quite ok, but 1st and 2nd are very notchy. Did you notice this during initial days? Should I expect any improvement post 1st oil change?
Sorry - did not see this. Not really, PrideRed. You should get it checked. All gears are reasonably smooth in my car.

Came here to post a couple of updates:

TL/DR: Happy with the dealer experience. Still to figure out if steering wobble happens. Questioning the upholstering idea itself.

- The Stanley leather issue got resolved.
Caveats:
- Seat rail warranty is voided if you do your leather outside the dealership. This was explicitly told to me by Toyota. I had an issue with the seat back & height adjustment collapsing when it hit a very mild pothole. When I complained during the 20k service, they identified it as being caused by the upholsterer and fixed it. Told me it was a goodwill gesture.

- If you cover the steering wheel in leather, the airbag & Controls go out of warranty.

Leaves me to wonder if this whole leather upholstery thing is worth it. Anyway you cant do it if there are side airbags concealed in the seat.
- The other issue that I wanted to report on is the presence of a significant wobble in the steering wheel after the 20k service. Started at around 100 kmph and was present thru 135 kmph. I thought it was a wheel balancing thing (still think so) but Nandi toyota took a serious approach and skimmed the rotor, rebalanced wheels & rotated the just rotated wheels. Took 2 visits to the service centre.

video (Around 0:20 mark):

Have not been able to test out if all that fixed it!

I like the thoroughness of Nandi Toyota in fixing customer issues but I am mildly irritated by the idea that every time, I have had to be without a car for 2-3 days. Think I have budget a couple of days for service!

Nandi Toyota has also been sweet & cleaned the car interior & exterior (with buffing & coating) free a couple of times to, I guess, make up for the delay.

So, happy with the dealer experience. Still to figure out if steering wobble happens. Questioning the upholstering idea itself.

Last edited by sridhu : 6th September 2017 at 12:02.
Old 6th September 2017, 16:46   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry - did not see this. Not really, PrideRed. You should get it checked. All gears are reasonably smooth in my car.

I like the thoroughness of Nandi Toyota in fixing customer issues but I am mildly irritated by the idea that every time, I have had to be without a car for 2-3 days. Think I have budget a couple of days for service!

Nandi Toyota has also been sweet & cleaned the car interior & exterior (with buffing & coating) free a couple of times to, I guess, make up for the delay.

So, happy with the dealer experience. Still to figure out if steering wobble happens. Questioning the upholstering idea itself.
Thanks Sridhu. The shifts seem to be smoother now. I think I was shifting at wrong RPM.
Which Nandi Toyota are you referring to? I recently had been to Graphite Nandi Toyota and their service was top notch. The customer waiting area is one of the best I have seen so far.
Old 6th September 2017, 17:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sridhu. The shifts seem to be smoother now. I think I was shifting at wrong RPM.
Which Nandi Toyota are you referring to? I recently had been to Graphite Nandi Toyota and their service was top notch. The customer waiting area is one of the best I have seen so far.
I visited the Nandi Toyota at Kudlu gate, PrideRed. Interacted with a guy called Omkar.
Old 7th September 2017, 06:29   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got me wondering - the Crysta makes you completely depress the clutch to start (I had even cribbed about it in my ownership report). There is almost no play; if you are even a millimeter off, it will not start.

In that scenario, if you are 'shifting at the wrong RPM' then perhaps you have set up your seat wrong?

Ideally, the seat has to be moved so that you are able to completely push the clutch in without any strain on your thigh/ calf. There should still be a slight bend in the leg. Then you adjust the steering rake & reach so that you are able to comfortably rest the wrist on top of the steering wheel. When you do this, your back should be resting on the seat rest comfortably. I dont have the seat back inclined too much - maybe one-two notches away from vertical.

I personally do not use the height adjustment much but i guess you have be at a comfortable height so that your under-thigh support is optimal. I dont adjust it so that I can see the top of the bonnet; never felt the need and, secretly, I think it is a sign of an immature driver!

Just thought I would put it out there.

A video to help: (I have outlined what I do. The video may instruct you otherwise!)

Mods: please merge both posts, if objectionable.

Last edited by sridhu : 7th September 2017 at 06:32.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed