Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2016, 00:58   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Power and Performance aren't weak points of Honda's diesel.
Nopes. It sure is!

As per AutocarIndia tests, diesel BR-V takes 14.5 seconds to 100 from its 100bhp diesel engine, as compared to earlier tests of the Creta that gives 10.84 seconds for the 126hp 1.6 diesel and 13 seconds for the 90hp 1.4 diesel motors. That makes the BR-V 1.5 diesel significantly slower than the 90hp Creta as well.

We've seen it earlier as well with the 1.5 iDTec. In track tests like this (Overdrive's hatchback track test - Figo 1.5 diesel quickest!), Jazz diesel was the slowest (and significantly so!) compared to i20 and Baleno diesels even with more than 15ps /ton power to weight advantage on paper.

And even the 90hp Ciaz outruns the 100hp City by a good margin. Source. So on-paper figures apart (I hope someone does a dyno test!), power and performance (not to mention refinement!) are not its strong points. Driveability sure is, as there is minimal turbo lag and good low end torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by do-od-do View Post
I believe both products cater to different market segments and they would definitely not cannibalize each other's sales.
I do partially agree with you. However, if you look around all the Innova cars in your friends circle, how many use it for 7 people more than 5% of the total usage? The numbers would be very less.

Similarly, in this age of nuclear families, people looking at the BRV do so thinking of the occasional seven seater use and even more - the Honda badge upfront. They are bound to get confused with the Creta. On the other hand, those looking at Creta (specially the elderly) might move on to the BRV simply for the Honda trust as we have seen examples in the BRV threads earlier (pointed out in the BRV official review as well!).

In an ideal world though - the best competition would have been Lodgy Stepway. But thats not how the market works!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th July 2016 at 01:07.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 01:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

^^
Power and performance aren't weak points of Honda's diesel. They aren't strong points either.

For most part, 0-100 timings aren't the best indicators of performance. What really matters is that Honda's diesel has good low-end torque and razor sharp throttle response. These factors aid drivability in the city.

I know a close friend that the City is better than the Ciaz in the city. He has driven both cars extensively.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 11:13   #48
BHPian

Excellent Review. Kudos! Appreciate the efforts you guys have put in.

In an Indian market, looks win. It contributes to some portion of sales directly.
Creta having more SUV looks will surpass BRV anyday. In terms of sales I don't think BRV will give any tough times for Creta.
BRV has an excellent package for a middle aged family group. What Honda gives you is excellent engine and loads of space. But still the effort goes waste since mass market is more of looks oriented and one more important thing BRV faces is parking space.

It's a smart thinking by Honda. We should appreciate the way they transformed Mobilio to BRV. But this thinking was more of utilizing the existing platforms, basically a cost reduction.
I would like to know from you guys or anyone how much Honda has invested in developing BRV. Do you guys any numbers on that?

GRAND23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 20:38   #49
BHPian

Gentlemen,
what are we doing here, we are comparing a 7 seater with a 5 seater.

I have bought a manual VX BRV and for only one reason I needed a car that can fit family (kids and parents) in one vehicle. If that was not the case I would have gone for Creta.

I don't mean to offend/hurt sentiments of the people and their efforts in comparison. Photos are amazing though kudos to the photographer!
But this is a wrong comparison. Please compare it against other seven seaters!

Last edited by jimmyjagga : 29th July 2016 at 20:39. Reason: spell check
jimmyjagga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 11:44   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
Gentlemen,
what are we doing here, we are comparing a 7 seater with a 5 seater.
I don't mean to offend/hurt sentiments of the people and their efforts in comparison. Photos are amazing though kudos to the photographer!
But this is a wrong comparison. Please compare it against other seven seaters!
I think what they are comparing is value for money. Well, this is not first comparison. Many other websites have also compared Creta vs BRV.
This review will help many who are sitting in a fence to decide BRV vs Creta. I personally know few of my friends are in same mode.
So basically this review clears confusion and gives you more clarity on car selection.
GRAND23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 12:05   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
I think what they are comparing is value for money. Well, this is not first comparison. Many other websites have also compared Creta vs BRV.
This review will help many who are sitting in a fence to decide BRV vs Creta. I personally know few of my friends are in same mode.
So basically this review clears confusion and gives you more clarity on car selection.
May be you are right, but I just wish to focus on the fact that if you are looking for a family car ( to move 6 to 7 people) in this price bracket there is no other choice.

If you are want a people mover for 4 to 5 people, then yes Choices are multifold.

Anyways to those who are confused best solution is to TD all and see where your heart takes you
jimmyjagga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 01:12   #52
BHPian

Brilliant comparo! It captures the entire evaluation that I did when I was choosing a car last month. These exact three contenders - BRV, Creta and Duster (all in their automatic avtar though). It was a close battle and they are all three wonderful cars in their own right. The BRV is a beautiful city drive with Honda's refined petrol motor. The Duster's a superb no nonsense car that has kind of discounted form and focused largely in function. While a paper comparo will show a tick in the boxes for all 3 you need to actually get into them to feel the difference.

The duster AMT diesel is pretty good and it's always been my belief having driven auto boxes for a bit now that it's only a matter of getting a hang of the character of the auto. In fact throw in a little more space management to carve out some rear seat space, better seats and rectify some of the crazy ergonomics (the seat height adjust, the power window buttons location, the way the door panels jut into passenger space) and viola the Duster would be a very difficult to beat choice.Though it appeared overpriced in the beginning with other more expensive options place to compare it does look like that bad a deal now.

The BRV is a claimed seven seater but as politely as I can put it it's a 6 seater. I absolutely loved the petrol CVT. A little Spartan but then honda's have always been about form follows function. Honda's grow on you. I've come to love our City's plain jane interiors for the clean uncompromising functionality it provides without making it look cheap. Love 'em Japs. They do these little thoughtful things in their cars that you realize only when you own one and use regularly. You cannot cannot cannot go wrong with a Honda. (Erm.... Except maybe the mobilio)

The Creta charges a fair bit of premium and yet skimps on things that should've been there. Yet within the limited context of my needs the Creta was the best balance and therefor my eventual choice. Took delivery last week. 😊

@smartcat - do share some real world FE data when possible of the BRV

Once again Crazydriver great stuff. Would have helped my solve my dilemma quicker. Though I would have reached the same conclusion as now.
vineshpikale is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 08:09   #53
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your Creta AT! Petrol or diesel? Was XUV 500 W6 AT a contender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineshpikale View Post
@smartcat - do share some real world FE data when possible of the BRV
- Within town, 8 to 10 kmpl based on the traffic, roads and duration of the drive.
- On drives to weekend destinations (which is a mix of city traffic, village roads and highways), I get 10 to 12 kmpl.

I haven't yet done a long highway drive, but looking at FE figures so far (which is roughly 1 kmpl less than our 3rd gen Honda City), I'd expect it to give 15 kmpl (at cruising speed of 80 to 100 kmph).
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 08:40   #54
BHPian

^^ Looks like the FE figures are pretty similar for both then...
@vineshpikale : could you confirm your FE?

Last edited by BUXX : 1st August 2016 at 08:41.
Old 1st August 2016, 17:51   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Congrats on your Creta AT! Petrol or diesel? Was XUV 500 W6 AT a contender?

- Within town, 8 to 10 kmpl based on the traffic, roads and duration of the drive.
- On drives to weekend destinations (which is a mix of city traffic, village roads and highways), I get 10 to 12 kmpl.

I haven't yet done a long highway drive, but looking at FE figures so far (which is roughly 1 kmpl less than our 3rd gen Honda City), I'd expect it to give 15 kmpl (at cruising speed of 80 to 100 kmph).
Thanks! Congrats to you too. The front looks really cool with the bullbar.
Thats pretty amazing FE. I thought it'll land up at 10-12 best case.
No did not consider the XUV 5oo. Though it was tempting after the Aisin autobox was put in. I just thought it was a little two high and was a little apprehensive of constant niggles. It's primarily for my Dad. For me I might have been a little more adventurous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
^^ Looks like the FE figures are pretty similar for both then...
@vineshpikale : could you confirm your FE?
Buxx, will update in a few days, she's all of a week old right now, havent run through the first full tank yet. and Hyundai is pig headed and stubborn about providing FE figures on the MID (Volkswagen effect anybody )
vineshpikale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 10:38   #56
BHPian

Was finally able to take a long 20Km+ TD of the Creta Petrol AT . Absolutely smitten !

Its really the perfect modern replacement for the Duster though its one size lower than it in all departments- Front seats, 2nd Row, Boot space, Ride quality.. Just goes on to show how well engineered the Duster is- its just begging for a good Petrol motor and a decent AT option.

Creta AT offers seamless shifts, only rarely gets confused at low speeds in the 1-2 gears and also responds fairly quickly to throttle. Suits my style of leisurely driving perfectly. Compared to the short comparo of the BR-V ride, its way better. I may need a better TD of the BRV CVT to firmly make up my mind.

Does anyone know what could be the actual impact of the GST on cars? By the looks of it, once could save upto a Lac on a 15L Car like the Creta AT. is it worth the wait till Apr'17 to buy a new one? I am poised to take atleast one pragmatic decision with my car purchasing!
BUXX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 14:17   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Creta AT offers seamless shifts, only rarely gets confused at low speeds in the 1-2 gears and also responds fairly quickly to throttle. Suits my style of leisurely driving perfectly. Compared to the short comparo of the BR-V ride, its way better. I may need a better TD of the BRV CVT to firmly make up my mind.
How about the refinement of Creta AT against BRV AT? Any differences to be noted, or both are pretty similar in this department?
Old 5th August 2016, 14:47   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How about the refinement of Creta AT against BRV AT? Any differences to be noted, or both are pretty similar in this department?
Dear CrAzY dRiVeR,

I have driven the Creta AT. I have not driven the BRV CVT. However, I have Jazz V CVT. I have also driven the City CVT. I am assuming that the CVT performance will be similar in the Honda stable.
The Creta AT has a surge type pickup - but the gear changes are perceptible.
The Honda CVT has a soft and smooth pickup - and there are no gear changes.

For thrills, Creta AT is better. For smooth driving experience, Honda would be better.
It all depends on what you are looking for.

If you cannot decide, then (maybe even otherwise !) you should do TDs of both vehicles and decide.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 14:54   #59
BHPian

I would say that they are both very similar , only that the BRV does not suffer from any confusion in the lower gears. Its smooth sailing all the way in it . BUT, this was only over a short 1-2km TD. There are no CVT on TD in NCR till now.

But, in the instance where you need to step on the A-pedal expecting a linear response, the Creta does better.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 15:00   #60
Team-BHP Support

I've mentioned in my review that noise levels of BR-V CVT at highways speeds are much higher than Honda City. But when I switched off the music system, I realized that noise levels even at city speeds are a lot higher than what you'd generally expect. That's why I've been doing some pseudo-scientific experiments -

I downloaded an app called SOUND METER by ABC Apps from Google Playstore. This app has a reset button to start/stop measuring dB levels, so I can measure noise levels inside the car for a particular duration. Another advantage of this app is that I can measure AVERAGE dB levels - this gives a more accurate picture of refinement of a car (rather than measuring dB levels at a particular speed)

I tested the sound levels over a distance of 6 kms on 3 separate occasions. This gives one an idea about -

- Engine noise inside cabin
- Engine noise induced by transmission (CVT keeps the engine at 2000 RPM for something like 5 seconds while accelerating)
- Tyre noise
- Wind noise (I reached speeds of 60 kmph)
- Noisiness of the suspension setup
- Thickness of windows/windscreen (traffic noise)

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-screenshot_20160802084850.jpg

The app recorded an AVERAGE sound levels of 66 decibels during the 6 km drive. Note that maximum dB was 87, but its probably because somebody honked closeby. That does not affect the experiment much as we are looking at averages only.

The accuracy of measurement depends on -

- How good the app is in recording the sound levels
- How good my phone's microphone is in recording sound levels of different frequencies.

Basically, I don't know if 66 dB is good or bad. So, in comes my Rs. 3.4 Lacs Suzuki A-Star AT. Same route, same procedure - the A-star recorded an average of just 64 decibels.

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-astar.jpg

So, there you go - my Rs. 3.4 Lac A-Star AT sounds slightly MORE refined than my Rs. 15 Lac BR-V CVT. Please take the results of my experiment with this - a pinch of salt:

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta - SUV comparison & shootout!-salt.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 5th August 2016 at 15:02.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks