Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2016, 19:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
They made a video of us and it was screened at Sathyam cinemas during the audio launch. That was one of a kind experience for us. Here is that video :
Soooper Vandi h14 Sir! Just for the FIAT enthusiast in you, this Padmini (not the actress ) deserves a place in your garage. Kudos to the earlier owner who kept this vehicle in mint condition. Thank you for sharing the such a nice video, just a little proof of how much love and sentiment people carry with these trusted beauties. Its very tempting to meet you and the car while you are in Kovai.
Keynote is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 20:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on welcoming a new member to your Fiat family, looks like a very clean car with most original bits still intact (as rightly pointed out by you) especially that bulb type windshield washer system sans the rubber bulb.

I wish you many miles with it.

Do keep us updated on the latest happenings & please do share some more pics of the car.

Last edited by samsag12 : 28th July 2016 at 20:30.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 10:42   #18
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
Its very tempting to meet you and the car while you are in Kovai.
Thanks Keynote! Watch this thread for updates once it reaches Coimbatore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Do keep us updated on the latest happenings & please do share some more pics of the car.
Thanks samsag12 Will definitely get some good pics in the upcoming drive.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 22:00   #19
h14
BHPian

Thought of sharing the Padmini song to go along with the title

h14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 12:31   #20
BHPian

HI H14, real nice to see that you at last got hooked up with the Padmini. I really like to drive Padmini for its simplicity, no nonsense mechanicals and ease of driving when compared with Amby those days. The left front end would be easily visible to navigate in any traffic congestion with comfort.

From the bills you uploaded it looks like you did the minor repairs near my home only at Mandaveli. Any chances of meeting you and the car by any chance ?
7heaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 13:07   #21
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heaven View Post
Looks like you did the minor repairs near my home only at Mandaveli. Any chances of meeting you and the car by any chance ?
Thanks 7heaven! Unfortunately I'm very far away from mandaveli else we could have met sometime. I'm put up at Bollineni Hillside
Old 8th August 2016, 13:03   #22
h14
BHPian

PP comes home to Coimbatore!

So as planned, we (me and Dhans in his Punto) started off from Chennai on Saturday (Aug 6). It was 2 guys in 2 cars, I had requested him to be the backup car since I wasn't 100% confident on the PP for the below reasons:

• Hardly done 500 kms in the last 2 years.
  • Longest run was Kalpakkam-Chennai.
  • FR brake was jamming occasionally.
  • Gear selector was cranky, first gear would hardly slot and 2nd slots 90% of the time.
  • Non working fuel & temp gauge.
  • Average condition retreaded tyres.

I had driven my '62 SuperSelect extensively on long runs (CBE-CHE, CHE-BLR, CBE-Ooty etc) and so this drive was not new for me. Somehow never had that confidence in the PP as I have with SS (it has changed now). So thought a backup car was a must and hence we started off prepared for the worst. Carried some very basic tools and in the end never had to use any

5:55 am on Saturday, I started off from my apartment. Stopped at the Parveen IOCL in Semmanjerry to tank up. Since the gauge wasn't working I was not sure how much fuel was there (I used to fill for Rs.200 whenever I take the car out). So apparently there was lot more in the tank than I anticipated and hence at the pump wasn't sure if it was really full or any blocks in the line causing to overflow. So got some 5 litres of additional fuel in my jerrycan as backup.

Dhans joined me at Kelambakkam and we set off in our usual route (Thiruporur-Chengalpet-Ulundurpet-Salem-Coimbatore). I was maintaining a steady 60 with occasional 70 while overtaking.

First stop was the the 99kms coffee stop. We decided to have early breakfast and hence it was an extended break. Car was perfectly fine, a quick peek into the engine bay revealed minor traces of oil from the valve door, but wasn't alarming. So with that in mind, set off after breakfast.

Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-1.jpg

Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-2.jpg

Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-3.jpg

Speeds were 60-70 and no pushing. The challenge was in the toll plazas and surprisingly, the gears slotted without complaints. Of course I did find the perfect pattern of pausing in the neutral with the lever pulled towards me and in few seconds it was moving into the appropriate position for me to shift smoothly. I was extremely relieved and felt that the car started enjoying the highway and was co-operating despite the worn out selectors

Next stop was at Ulundurpet Reliance pump. Tanked up there and it took only 9.5 litres. Earlier in the morning it did not take more than 4litres which gave me the doubt on whether it was really full, so now I was happy that it was indeed full as it took close to 10 litres now. Quick calculations yielded a figure of 19.xx kmpl which was hard to believe. Maybe it could have taken few more litres.

Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-4.jpg

Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-5.jpg

Diverted off in Ulundurpet towards Salem and traffic reduced further. Stopped few kms before Kallakurichi at the customary photo spot for some clicks and proceeded further where another friend Manoj was waiting for us. He was travelling to Chennai and we decided to catch up enroute. So the 4th stop of the drive was at a bakery near the Kallakurichi toll plaza. This too was an extended stop, it was around 11am and the mercury was rising. The heat was really getting onto us. Another quick peek on the engine bay and things were fine except that the oil traces was sort of consistent from the valve door, but I was sure it will hold up.

Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-6.jpg

Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-7.jpg

Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-8.jpg

We then took off and reached the toll where the toll collector requested for a ride in the Padmini. He had completed his shift and requested to be dropped off the next plaza (Thalaivasal). I agreed and he was super excited to hitch a ride in a car 3 years older than him. The climate was getting hotter and we dropped him and proceeded towards Salem without further stops. Reached Salem around 12:30.

Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-9.jpg

Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-10.jpg

Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-11.jpg

The 5th stop was at the KPN petrol pump in Salem. Decided to tank up and check the FE, this time it took a little over 10 litres and the average worked out to 16.xx this time which was more realistic. So I believe we can safely assume an average efficiency of 16kmpl which is far superior than what my SS delivers. We decided on postponing the lunch and hence proceeded further. Since the PP was perfectly fine, requested Dhans to proceed to his place in Kumarapalayam. Initial plan was for him to come to my place in Coimbatore, so changed that plan and he diverted off at Kumarapalayam. I had another 100 odd kms to cover and this time alone.

I stopped for a break at the Aavin outlet in Bhavani for some refreshments which was the 6th stop of the drive. After some mild refreshments, set of to CBE without any issues and reached the KMCH/Airport signal at 16:00 hrs. From there another 20 odd minutes and I was home around 16:25.

At home, alongside my Select.
Enga ooru vandi: The story of how a 1985 Premier Padmini got me-12.jpg

So it ended up to be a very comfortable and reasonably quick drive than we planned. Except an incident where a stray dog decided to jump onto my lane resulting in panic braking (car did sway left and right ), it was a very comfortable drive!

I'm back to Chennai now and planning to fix the niggles once my SS is back home from the garage!

Quick Stats:
Trip Start Time: 05:55
Trip End Time: 16:25
No of stops: 6 (2 fuel, 1 breakfast, 1 photoshoot, 2 tea/refreshments)
Total Kms: 493
Approx Avg FE: 16kmpl.
Max Speed reached: 80 kmph.

Timings:

05:55 - Semmanjerry
07:50 - 99 kms coffee stop
09:51 - Ulundurpet
10:35 - Kallakurichi
12:35 - Salem
14:01 - Bhavani
15:49 - KMCH/Airpot Signal

Last edited by h14 : 8th August 2016 at 13:13.
h14 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks