Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 23:48   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!

Looks like you spun out due to lift off oversteer. But you could have counter steered it and regained control. It'll probably come with practise.

Also in the video I saw you cutting through 1-2 sections just before the parabola, why??
Old 1st August 2017, 00:23   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Hey! I actually travel back and forth between Jaipur and Delhi a fair bit and if you're in Jaipur we should definitely meet since I am here for a week and a half. I alternate in bringing my Laura and my Innova when I come depending on how adventurous I'm feeling in exposing those low profile tires (and myself) to abuse. Currently the only thing bothering me about the car is the obnoxious wheel gap but the car has already scraped in a few deep potholes so will wait until I can buy another daily driver and then lower the car with coilovers.
I was in Jaipur for a vacation and am now back in Frankfurt. Would have loved to meet you back then. In hindsight, should have quoted your post or sent you a message to catch up. By the way, just figured we used study at the same tuition in 2011 (Periwal ma'am)

Lowering the car would certainly make it look nicer. But like you said, would be a pain to drive around with unscientific speed-breakers everywhere
Old 1st August 2017, 12:35   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Looks like you spun out due to lift off oversteer. But you could have counter steered it and regained control. It'll probably come with practise.

Also in the video I saw you cutting through 1-2 sections just before the parabola, why??
I did try to counter steer but that did not work out in my favor. I did receive some feedback from the veteran trackday participants (prithwi-81) and one is supposed to keep on the throttle and let the car straighten out with a little bit of steering input. I instead hit the brake pedal which was instinctive but as it turns out, not the right way to deal with oversteer. This is the first time I was really pushing the car since the last track day and all the modifications and wasn't really expecting to encounter oversteer since that is not the usual problem faced by FWD cars but hopefully with more track time I will learn more about the behavior of the car at the limit.

I've got no real explanation for that one huge corner cut other than I was tired and decided to be lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I was in Jaipur for a vacation and am now back in Frankfurt. Would have loved to meet you back then. In hindsight, should have quoted your post or sent you a message to catch up. By the way, just figured we used study at the same tuition in 2011 (Periwal ma'am)

Lowering the car would certainly make it look nicer. But like you said, would be a pain to drive around with unscientific speed-breakers everywhere
Haha. I apologize for my bad memory but your name didn't ring a bell although I did study with Periwal Ma'am. Are you somehow related to the publication MotorBeam?

Thinking about getting a new Rapid TDI DSG as a daily or maybe another used Laura/Jetta TDI DSG as a daily driver and then will slam this thing as low as it will go. The car being lowered is a definite. The time line is currently up in the air.
Old 10th August 2017, 15:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Staying glued as I gifted myself a pre-worshipped 2012 Laura 1.8 TSI MT Black color with 37000KMs on odo. Though she is still a virgin with no remap or engine mods, there are some cosmetic and performance mods.
  • vRS body kit along with global honey comb grill, bumpers and spoiler
  • 18" BBS First quality replica alloy wheels with 225/40 section tires
  • Lowered suspension coils on stock Bilsteins
  • Remus exhaust
Since mile munching is less, she underwent annual service in roughly 7000KMs interval in last 5 years while minor service every 6 months for top ups. Last service bills from Skoda shows VBelts, tensioners etc were replaced. Any clue if that is part of the 5 year service for 1.8TSIs?

Last edited by jacs : 10th August 2017 at 16:06.
jacs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 22:02   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Staying glued as I gifted myself a pre-worshipped 2012 Laura 1.8 TSI MT Black color with 37000KMs on odo. Though she is still a virgin with no remap or engine mods, there are some cosmetic and performance mods.
  • vRS body kit along with global honey comb grill, bumpers and spoiler
  • 18" BBS First quality replica alloy wheels with 225/40 section tires
  • Lowered suspension coils on stock Bilsteins
  • Remus exhaust
Since mile munching is less, she underwent annual service in roughly 7000KMs interval in last 5 years while minor service every 6 months for top ups. Last service bills from Skoda shows VBelts, tensioners etc were replaced. Any clue if that is part of the 5 year service for 1.8TSIs?
Congrats! Look at http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/service-cost-calculator for service guidance, it can tell you exactly what parts need to be replaced according to time or distance that the car has covered. My car will also see the vRS kit sometime in the future, but taking a small break from the modifications right now while I get settled back in India and find what I want to do. Do share your own ownership thread or some photos of your car!
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 10:56   #51
BHPian

10000 km Update (since purchase)

Car is doing well! Had a CEL scare which turned out to be the charcoal filter (something I knew would need to be replaced when I bought the car), took the car to Skoda Workshop in Jaipur and had them check and clear the error. The charcoal filter is there to capture fumes from the petrol tank and is not super important but will still get it replaced by the end of this month.

Also just to show how well the car can do when I am able to hold back the urge to go quick, here's a screenshot from today! This was in mild traffic with red lights and all on the way to work today! (No highway)

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5214.jpg

Cheers!
Jalaj

Last edited by jalajprakash : 23rd September 2017 at 11:00.
jalajprakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 18:05   #52
BHPian

Quote:
10000 km Update (since purchase)

Car is doing well! Had a CEL scare which turned out to be the charcoal filter (something I knew would need to be replaced when I bought the car), took the car to Skoda Workshop in Jaipur and had them check and clear the error. The charcoal filter is there to capture fumes from the petrol tank and is not super important but will still get it replaced by the end of this month.

Also just to show how well the car can do when I am able to hold back the urge to go quick, here's a screenshot from today! This was in mild traffic with red lights and all on the way to work today! (No highway)

Attachment 1678811

Cheers!
Jalaj
Your MID shows the fuel efficiency in km/l instead of L/100km, did you change it using VAGCOM?
I have recently bought a 2011 Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI and L/100km is really irritating.
Old 18th January 2018, 19:51   #53
BHPian

Hey Guys. I have very recently got myself a Skoda Laura 1.8TSI 2012 and I have a little bit of an issue with it.

Under slightly hard accelerations, my car sometimes does not accelerate smoothly. It feels like the power delivery stops for a bit before it regains the power and accelerates again.

Last night under slightly hard accelerations, the car's 'check engine light' started blinking. I stopped by to check and the engine light went off like nothing happened!! It was constantly blinking before I could come to a complete halt.

I connected my car to the Bluetooth OBDII port and scanned the car for faults in the engine.
The app on my phone showed two unknown errors when I scanned the engine and there was no way to search them online as they were unknown. I cleared the faults but I have not driven the car since it was parked and was too lazy to drive again.

However, can someone help me with the possible reasons why this should happen under acceleration? I should be taking the car for a drive again tonight to see if the jerkiness continue.
My logic tells me spark plugs or maybe the coils. But other diagnosis are welcome too!

Thank you in advance!

DM99
Old 18th January 2018, 20:48   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the mileage and when were the spark plugs changed, when was the last service done and what all was changed at that time? I think the best option is to visit the service center and let them take a look (if the jerky power delivery problem is easy to reproduce).
Old 19th January 2018, 20:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvdangi View Post
Your MID shows the fuel efficiency in km/l instead of L/100km, did you change it using VAGCOM?
I have recently bought a 2011 Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI and L/100km is really irritating.
Yes, using VAGCOM, you need to change the region to Japan and it will show km/L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawalmakwana99 View Post
Hey Guys. I have very recently got myself a Skoda Laura 1.8TSI 2012 and I have a little bit of an issue with it.

Under slightly hard accelerations, my car sometimes does not accelerate smoothly. It feels like the power delivery stops for a bit before it regains the power and accelerates again.

Last night under slightly hard accelerations, the car's 'check engine light' started blinking. I stopped by to check and the engine light went off like nothing happened!! It was constantly blinking before I could come to a complete halt.

I connected my car to the Bluetooth OBDII port and scanned the car for faults in the engine.
The app on my phone showed two unknown errors when I scanned the engine and there was no way to search them online as they were unknown. I cleared the faults but I have not driven the car since it was parked and was too lazy to drive again.

However, can someone help me with the possible reasons why this should happen under acceleration? I should be taking the car for a drive again tonight to see if the jerkiness continue.
My logic tells me spark plugs or maybe the coils. But other diagnosis are welcome too!

Thank you in advance!

DM99
Would recommend taking the car to a FNG or service center, depending on how much it has run and when it was last serviced, it could be a lot of different issues. If you are unable to go to a FNG as soon as possible, would recommend recording the issue on a Dashcam, so that you are able to explain the problem even if it doesn't repeat in front of the mechanic.
Old 20th January 2018, 00:30   #56
BHPian

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_4913.jpg

Update

Lots of little updates, but I want to be thorough, so bear with me.

--
Fitted the car with HIDs in September last year because the low beam light was quite unsatisfactory. Ordered CnLight HIDs via a friend of a friend who is a dealer for the same and they came out quite bright.

I faced issues with the install since I was not able to coordinate a time with the dealer and had to have them installed at AutoMarc. First time around, I wasn't able to go myself, so I sent out my driver. I had confidence in AutoMarc since they handle Porsches and Bentleys daily but alas the low beam ended up being pointed to the sky. I was able to fix that with some guidance from RohanDheman as well as a personal visit to AutoMarc.

Soon after, each time it rained, the driver side headlight would fog up, something that did not happen before the install. This warranted another visit to AutoMarc where they took out of the condensation using a heat gun and the put some extra silicone sealer to make sure there were no gaps.

What I learned from all this, is that, the owner being there next to the car makes a world of difference in the quality of the work done compared to if you send anyone else.

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20170627-6.50.04-pm.jpeg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_4990.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5088.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5092.jpg

More recently, as a New Year's gift to me from the Laura, the driver side ballast went out, leaving the car blind in one eye. But took the car to the dealer who I bought them from and he promptly gave me a working unit while he got my unit replaced under warranty. Still need to go and get my new unit installed. The dealer also offered to upgrade my projectors to the unit from the Audi A4/A6 so that I can use the HIDs for low, as well as high beam.

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5454.jpg

--
Had the Charcoal filter changed to a new unit as it used to keep throwing up a CEL. My FNG charged me a reasonable INR 3500 including labor compared to the INR 15500 that the Skoda ASS was demanding. Faced some trouble with the light still coming on even after the replacement but my FNG replaced it with yet another new unit for free and the light hasn't come back yet.

--
Also sent the car for some denting, painting and polishing to a TBHPian owned garage in Noida. There were some dents in the passenger side running board and some side swipe scratches as well, all from the previous owner. Thought it was appropriate to give it some love on its 1st anniversary with me. The car came back unsatisfactory with a few new scratches, fender lining not bolted up properly as well as some white marks from the polish not being cleaned up properly, but the garage accepted everything and fixed everything in another week. Lesson learned was to take pictures of every little blemish on the car before sending it in, so that there is no confusion afterwards.

--
After the TeamBHPian Delhi - Jodhpur - Delhi drive, in the last few kms, my car threw a low oil warning so later that day I had to top up the car with another 1L of oil. I guess the rumors of the TSI engine consuming engine oil aren't unwarranted. The car has just crossed 30,000 kms so I will be sending it for another oil change and brake service at my FNG as soon as possible.

--
Recently, I've been really annoyed by the little kids scratching, putting chalk on and rubbing their noses on the car while it's in my Jaipur apartment's parking. Not much can be done about the kids since they are living in the servant quarters which have their stairs right next to my parking spot. So decided it was wiser to buy a nice cover instead of trying to giving these kids a peace of my mind. After some proper TeamBHP Research, decided to buy the Pilot373 cover from TPH Covers. My cover doesn't have the UnderArmour inner lining that Nikhilb2008's Civic's cover got, but I got it for quite a bit cheaper than he did, so it's alright. Both I and the car now rest peacefully without fear.

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5478.jpg

Modification Update

Got a few new parts on the car which are worth mentioning,
  • Magnetic Drain Plug - Good change to make sure no abrasive particles are floating around in the drivetrain fluid

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-drain-plug.jpg

• Conical Tuner Spline Bolt Set - Found out late last year that the Lenso Conquista wheels that I'm running have a Conical seat for the bolts while the bolts that come with the stock wheels have a Ball seat, which means the connection between the bolts and wheels is not as perfect as can be, which can lead to a wheel popping off especially if I'm pushing the car hard on track days. Did my due research and ordered these. I was also unable to put the locking caps on the OEM bolts since there wasn't enough space in the aftermarket wheel. These bolts feature a unique pattern that can be opened with the common tool so it provides some safety towards theft.

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-lug-nuts.jpg

• Integrated Engineering Cold Air Intake - This intake improves upon the OEM design in a lot of ways. The piping is wider, smoother and made of aluminium instead of the flimsy plastic OEM unit and there is also a heat shield that separates the air filter from hot under-hood air, allowing only cold air to be drawn in from the front of the car. The car now makes a lot of fun turbo whistle sounds but only when driven hard. Under partial throttle and easy driving, it can't really be heard. The car now also pulls away easier from idle.

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-ie-intake.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5430.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5431.jpg

• APR Pendulum Mount - Replaces the factory mount with a thick, billet-aluminum two-piece design. The mount stiffens the connection between the gearbox and the engine to improve shift quality.

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-pendulum-mount.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5420.jpg

• BBK Varitune Valve Muffler - This muffler is the definition of work by day, party by night. Bought this since my dad too enjoys taking the car for a drive from time to time and he might not a like a straight through exhaust. Still need to get the actual exhaust fabricated to the install the muffler. Will provide impressions after install.

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-bbk-varitune.jpg

• EBC Yellowstuff Front and Rear Brake Pads - I've had these installed before and was really impressed with their stopping power using the OEM brake discs. So until I do a remap, these pads will serve me well. Have covered them in a previous post.

Last edited by jalajprakash : 20th January 2018 at 00:37.
jalajprakash is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 22:35   #57
BHPian

31,000kms Update

Last Service was done at 20,000 kms so it was time for another one.

I ordered all the service items beforehand so that I could make sure they were top quality. I tried to accomplish as much as I could at my FNG. The service carried out at my friendly neighbourhood garage included,
  • Engine Oil change - Motul XCess 8100 5w40 5L - ₹3800
  • All brake pads changed - EBC Yellowstuff - $200
  • All brake rotors changed - Brembo OEM Replacement - ₹14200
  • Fuel Filter changed - febi Bilstein - ₹1250
  • Oil Filter changed - Vaico - ₹1100
  • Cabin Filter changed - febi Bilstein - ₹850
  • Magnetic Oil Drain Plug installed - ECS Tuning - $8
  • Labor - ₹2500

Now, the brake pads and brake rotors weren’t required since the pads still had some life but I put my brake pads through hell at the last track day and they got burnt so wanted to do new brake pads to ensure the best performance. New pads require new or skimmed discs and opted to go for new Brembo replacements. Now after the break in period, I would rate them 12/10.

There was some equipment such as the Pressure Brake Bleeder and the G13 Coolant which was unavailable with my FNG, so for the same I took my car to the Skoda Service Center in Noida.
  • Brake fluid changed - Skoda OEM - ₹500
  • Coolant changed - G13 Skoda OEM 9L - ₹2700
  • Labor - ₹1200

Again, the Coolant still had some life left in it but since I was already at the Skoda Service Center and the car was already up on the lift, so decided to go ahead with it.

Overall the car has been running great but will probably need new tires by the next service. Attaching some pictures I took during the service.
  • 5Ltrs of Oil
Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5502.jpg

• Brembo Rotors
Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5503.jpg

• Opening the Caliper
Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5505.jpg

• New Pads are in!
Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5506.jpg

• Old Fuel Filter, Discs and Pads
Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5508.jpg

• New Brembo and EBC Combo
Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_5509.jpg

Last edited by jalajprakash : 17th February 2018 at 22:38.
jalajprakash is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 10:08   #58
BHPian

Was standing in traffic the other day when a WagonR who wanted to make it through the red light drove fast through the light but then forgot to put his brakes on for the stationary traffic ahead. He crashed into an Auto-rickshaw which was standing behind me, and the auto rickshaw ended up hitting the Laura.

The WagonR peeled out of there (with its front completely smashed) and I was about to write down the number of the auto-rickshaw but he just claimed that its not his fault and took a U-turn and drove away as well.

The left taillight is broken and the boot is dented a little too, so these 2 things will need fixing. Will get it done on my next visit to Delhi, since I am not aware of any competent garages in Jaipur. If anyone here knows of a garage in Jaipur who is good with VAG cars and can deliver the same quality please do send me a PM.

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_20180312_171519.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_20180312_171525.jpg

But the Laura is taking a nice rest for now since I have brought home the little brother to the Laura!

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile EDIT: Sold!-img_20180321_074347.jpg

Don't know if I will make a separate thread for the Polo since I plan on keeping it mostly stock as the daily runner. Maybe a Flip Reverse Camera and OEM Armrest?
jalajprakash is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 21:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Had the Charcoal filter changed to a new unit as it used to keep throwing up a CEL. My FNG charged me a reasonable INR 3500 including labor compared to the INR 15500 that the Skoda ASS was demanding. Faced some trouble with the light still coming on even after the replacement but my FNG replaced it with yet another new unit for free and the light hasn't come back yet.
Can you share the details of your FNG? Was looking for one in Gurgaon for my Laura 1.8 TSI
Old 18th August 2018, 22:59   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvdangi View Post
Can you share the details of your FNG? Was looking for one in Gurgaon for my Laura 1.8 TSI
Have sent you a PM! It may be a little far since it's in Noida but worth spending a Sunday to get your car serviced.
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks