Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2016, 12:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cheap Thrills: My pre-owned '03 Maruti Zen VXi

It is something else to read a review of a car that one grew up with, but never owned. The zen was everywhere but I never could drive one.
It feels awesome to go through the review of a car more than decade old and close to 2L on the ODO.

Very well written. Really enjoyed.
Thank You.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 12:32   #17
BHPian

A beautifully written review! Offers a modern perspective on what was once considered a cult car! Made for a nostalgic read, especially for an old timer like myself
Babuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 12:57   #18
BHPian

A great write up!!

I too have a 2002 zen which is very dear to me, i have swapped a 1.3 motor in it and it makes me smile every-time i have a drive in it.
Just about everyone who sits in the car comments on the cuteness quotient of this lovely car and in my humble opinion the zen still looks good today.

wish you loads of happiness with your jelly bean.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 13:36   #19
BHPian

Reading your report brought back memories my days with the Zen D. It was a 2003 model which i picked up in 2007. I had Pirelli 185 section tyres put on it and it came with 13 inch wheels from the factory. Your part about the non PS is correct but is a pain in the city. At speed I always had a lot of fun.

Everything was good until 2009 when it had done a little over 1 lac kms and started leaking oil like crazy. Sold it after that but the memories still stay.

Cheers and happy motoring to you.
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 14:05   #20
BHPian

You have a flair for writing, mate. And the photos too compliment very well. A simple ownership report penned down to the "zen"ith. Wishing you and Sally tons of happily-ever-after moments. Cheers!
Old 20th September 2016, 14:50   #21
Team-BHP Support

We had one in the family, the LX 'go kart'. This car is best enjoyed without power-steering
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 16:34   #22

It was fun reading your post, I can tell that you have a knack for writing.

I completely agree with your observations about Zen, it's a cute little city car which is so much fun to drive. My dad purchased the rare 2 door version Zen Steel, back in 2003 and that car is still with us today with over 1.6 lac kilometres on the odo. We have since purchased a Honda City but whenever I'm home, I still grab the keys to the old timer. My dad has kept it around for the sheer convenience it offers. It's much easier to drive on the streets of Lucknow and the yearly maintenance costs are lower than a fancy dinner!

I hope you have fun with Sally while Delhi still allows it. Keep writing!
razer2911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 17:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samar117 View Post
And that is what Sally is to me.
You know when you go to a coffee shop with your really close friend and spend hours there, not utter a single word, and yet feel completely at peace and ease with the others company. Likewise when I park Sally everyday and look back, there really isn't much to say.

I simply nod. And so does She.
Congratulations on getting a Zen.
I believe the Zen was also the first car in India to have an aluminium engine block. Although Zen stands for Zero Engine Noise (which was surprising, since Iron damps noise better), it a very unique engine sound.
1.91 Lakh kilometers is not a small distance to be covered, especially in stop and go city traffic. The fact that it withstood this and still charms you should be a certificate for the durability of Maruti products.
I grew up admiring this car. The rotary air-con knob, the rear wiper, the cute tail-lamps were so refreshing to look at back then. This car really had a lot of character (probably still has it-it does not feel out of place in a modern mall parking lot). Enjoy it till the NGT takes it away. I still cannot fathom why a well maintained Euro-2 compliant MPFI car should be taken off the road. But that's not a discussion for this thread.
Maintain her well. Drive safe.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 17:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Amazing write up Dude
I really enjoyed your First few posts, the one's describing life before buying Zen.

Looking forward to some tasty mods in this one.
A honest car has found a Honest chap, cheers!

Last edited by silverado : 20th September 2016 at 18:00.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 17:59   #25
BHPian

I liked your style of writing. It attracted me to complete it in one go. You post is a honest story about a car. Recently I was looking for a used car for my brother and came across a 2003 Zen lxi model. The deal could not go through but it was a nice car having power windows and rear wiper which even my alto lxi does not have. I was surprised to see such features on a budget car. It was pleasant to drive without AC.
Keep writing...
findviru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 19:01   #26
BHPian

@Samar117 Just one word. 'brilliant'. Beautifully written. About Sally, its 'the world car'. Cant go wrong with that one. Congratulations! Please write more!
cunnuvila is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 22:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
It is something else to read a review of a car that one grew up with, but never owned. The zen was everywhere but I never could drive one.
It feels awesome to go through the review of a car more than decade old and close to 2L on the ODO.

Very well written. Really enjoyed.
Thank You.
My thoughts exactly!! Although I drove quite a few kms in zens of my friends and family.
To be honest, I remember that the zen used to be quite premium in its heydays, (power windows and rear wash and wipe were top end features in those days) Also the car used to do very decent 3 digit speeds, given good roads.

An excellent write up Samar. You really have the gift of the gab!!
I have read a lot of the threads on team-bhp, where people describe new cars, or even talk about restoration/modification projects. Your thread really ranks among the best of them. Really brought back lots of fond memories....
Ravi Parwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 23:08   #28
BHPian

Beautifully written!!

Brought back lot of old memories. My first ‘own’ car was a zen. A little blue one. I think the color was called sky blue back then or may be beam blue. It was ’98 model.

Great pics too, honestly, I had no idea words could light up a car buying experience so very well. Simply superb!
Your background graffiti has given me a lot of idea for my ride's photo-shoot... I just have to locate places with such nice walls, colorful ones.
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 23:11   #29
BHPian

Oh the Zen! Brings back so many memories. Shame I had to let go of it due to the 15 year rule. Would love to buy it back if the new owner has renewed the fitness certificate Enjoy the pocket rocket till it lasts!
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Thrills: My pre-owned '03 Maruti Zen VXi-imag0649.jpg  

tweaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 23:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Very well written! And definitely a good choice of cars. We had a 96 esteem vx which was in our family till this year. Was our moms club car off late but both me and my brother took it to college and our first dates were in it, was the car which used to drop us off to school etc. But recently we reduced the time spent in it due to the other jeeps and suvs in our family and finally decided it was a good idea to sell it to someone who would love it. Got 60k for it but i repent selling it as the memory goes away.

Take a look at the tires and just do regular maintenance and it will be bullet proof. If you plan on keeping her for a long time, then go for upgrades. Else love her the way she is.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks