Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2016, 01:48   #61
BHPian

Re: Cheap Thrills: My pre-owned '03 Maruti Zen VXi

Brought back vivid memories of my 2006 Zen which was my first car as well! sigh! miss her terribly!
Old 1st October 2016, 03:06   #62
BHPian

loved reading your ownership exp! brought back adrenaline backed memories of driving my jelly bean Zen at insane speeds (i owned one 5 years ago). Still remember racing Honda Civic Vtec on Pune Expressway and winning. The car is an absolute gem and will forever spoil your high speed cornering abilities. Took the car to its max speedo limit (160kmph) once on Pune Mumbai expressway, the car was shaking but I managed to make a video also!

Take care of your zen and it will last forever! Safe driving.
Old 4th October 2016, 11:32   #63
BHPian

A wonderful written article - P G Wodehouse would agree

My Zen completed 15 years one month back with 1 lakh km on the ODO. Managed to renew the registration for another 5 years till 2021 as the car was immaculately maintained. Drives like a dream. My family uses it more than Honda City.

Wish you many happy trips with Sally.
Old 16th December 2017, 12:21   #64
BHPian

Brilliant review Samar117, you do have special writing skills. Your ZEN looks to be in good condition considering the fact that it has done over 190k kilometers that too in NCR traffic. It seems that your car will run out of registration next year, please don't scrap her, get a NOC or something & her sell her outside NCR. Lastly how is your car doing now?

My story is also somewhat similar, I too was on the lookout for a cheap used car for my college runs. My search ended in Feb 2016 with a 2001 ZEN Vxi deluxe which had done around 90000km at that time (though I didn't get it for free like you ). Now as I type this post her odometer reading is nearing 109000km, with only periodic servicing being done in this period (expect for one battery replacement). The ZEN even today doesn't seem outdated specially for city use, it has good power to weight ratio, decent low end torque, smooth shifting gearbox, super light EPS & brilliant all round visibility.

Sharing a few photos of my 2001 ZEN Vxi deluxe.

Cheap Thrills: My pre-owned '03 Maruti Zen VXi-p_20161031_103216.jpg

Cheap Thrills: My pre-owned '03 Maruti Zen VXi-zen-interior.jpg

Cheap Thrills: My pre-owned '03 Maruti Zen VXi-zen-rear.jpg
chiranjitp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 19:04   #65
BHPian

Ah! Just what I love another nostalgic Maruti Zen thread! This is an awesome thread Samar117! I love the way you have humorously given a review of your Zen, your photography too is really great!
Cheers mate and I wish you many more happy miles with your Pre Owned Zen
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 00:05   #66
BHPian

I have an exam in two days.
Might even get the virus amidst all this chaos, who knows.
Lockdown hasn't been the kindest to all of us maniacs for whom the good things in life are outside the sphere of what normal people even think of.
Been so long since I'd been on a good long trip riding shotgun staring out of the window
and smiling at the beauty of what went past.
There's was a lot on my mind.

I needed something to take my mind off of this mess, and I found this ABSOLUTE gem of a thread! Can't thank you enough for this thread. It really made me laugh several times.

Sir, hats off to you! What a beautiful beautiful write-up!
As much a write-up about life and humility as much on a beautiful little angel you call Sally.

If I understood you correctly after the Maserati episode, I think I can relate to you quite a bit.
One always finds the good things in life enticing,
yet there is an ultimate satisfaction to be living within your means.

Also the reason that has me excited about buying an old esteem off my neighbor,
or taking from my grandfather, his Maruti 800 carb than the Honda City iDTEC standing in the garage downstairs, when I am in a position to.

Yes, there will be someone telling you that you made a mistake opting for an old car and all but I'd just smile back and tell them how I love this little one more than I could ever, something else.

At the risk of just having rambled pointlessly till now, I ask this after saying all that.

I have a pair of nice (relatively) expensive shoes, but I feel very weird and extremely conscious while sporting them, but feel extremely different and comfortable while I wear my sandals that tore and got stitched back.
Because I don't want to send the wrong image.

Is this the feeling that you were referring to with this..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samar117 View Post
After spending one whole day with the car, and after I had kiddishly sent pictures of myself with the car to all my friends, after all of that had happened, when I came home, there was one and only one question that was continuously hitting away inside of my head like a sledgehammer-

Why do I feel so terrible about it?
This also reminds me of a beautiful line penned down by Distinguished BHPian V.Narayan..
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Budget: Rs 25 to 60 lakhs. I could dream of a bigger budget but ....... Above Rs 60L will queer the delicate balance with the extended family and give my young adults funny notions of their place in life.
Man, I love this forum.

EDIT: What's the emblem on the wheel you steer now? I assume the Zen isn't permitted in Delhi anymore?

Last edited by viXit : 1st September 2020 at 00:08.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed