Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:30   #1
BHPian

A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT

******Teaser******
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-teaser.jpg

Introduction

Here goes my first blog on team-bhp.
A quick intro about myself - It’s been 17 years since I started driving cars. I’ve driven as well as experienced cars from the good old ambassador to BMW. On the ownership side, it started with Maruti 800, then Hyundai Santro, Hyundai i10, Ford Figo (1st gen), Toyota Etios, Maruti Celerio AMT and finally the purple cheetah – XUV500. The two cars that inspired me to write something about them are Ford Figo and XUV500. Unfortunately, I could not write anything about Figo as I was not a member of TBHP at that time. Anyway, let me pen down a one-liner about each of the cars I/family own(ed) so far.

1. A 1999 Maruti 800 (don't remember the variant). The first car in our family. A lot of good memories associated with it. Fuss-free ownership.

2. A 2006 Hyundai Santro Xing. The car that replaced M800. Again fuss-free ownership and sporty to drive.

3. A 2009 Hyundai i10 - My in-law's car. It actually replaced a M800 he owned earlier (almost similar specs as the one owned by my dad). I drove both his M800 as well as i10 during the respective times.

4. A 2011 Ford Figo Titanium Diesel variant - A car with many first's - the first car fully funded by me, the first car registered in my name, the first diesel car in the family, the first car in the family with ABS and air-bags. The car gave superb driving pleasure and confidence inspiring handling. And I miss 'her' even today.

5. A 2013 Toyota Etios GD variant - This was my upgrade from Figo. The was primarily due to the growing family (2nd kid was born in 2012), as well as the need for bigger boot space due to frequent Chennai-Kochi trips (my work town used to be Chennai at that time)

6. A 2015 Maruti Celerio VXi AMT variant - This is primarily my wife's car. It's a perfect city car with reasonable interior as well as boot space. My wife love it and takes it all around the city and our nearby town.

7. And finally, a 2016 XUV500 AWD AT - I just started loving this car, or rather SUV. It's simply awesome !
Let me elaborate in the coming paragraphs.

The M800s (both my dad's as well as father in-law's), Santro, Figo and i10 are no more with us. My dad/brother drive the Etios, my wife drive the Celerio, and I drive XUV these days. Just to add on - my brother run a travel business and has Innova and Force Traveller in his stable.
As you might have noticed, I/my family has/had been associated with the major auto players in India over these years - Maruti, Hyundai, Ford, Toyota, Mahindra and Force. Will share the sale and service experiences with each of them later here.

Here comes the first shot!
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-best-shot.jpg

Summary
- the commanding view from front seats
- respect from other road users
- Sufficient power available on tap
- Front and middle row head and leg room
- VFM - super cool features like navigation system, detailed vehicle informatics, ACC, Cruise control, auto head lamp, auto wipers, keyless entry, engine start stop button, sun-roof, 8-way electrically adjustable driver seat, sporty aluminium A and B pedals, auto-closing ORVMs etc., the list is extremely long and am yet to explore some of these features.

Dislikes
- Almost non-existent boot space with all 3 seat rows up. But then, I don't usually travel with 7 members and their luggage. So, not a major concern for me.
- Non-sliding 2nd row seats, hence, 3rd row is best suited for kids only due to limited leg room.
-MMI Navigation is very good but does not have as many POIs as Google Maps

Since XUV has been reviewed by many bhpian's, I shall limit review to very important aspects and personal experiences alone.

Alternatives considered and the reason for choosing XUV500
When I started the search for a SUV type of vehicle almost a year ago, I (including my wife) was initially bowled over by Fortuner. This was primarily due to the butch-like looks as well as Toyota's legendary fame on quality and reliability. This was also fortified by the fact that we continue to own a 3 year old Etios (73 K odo) which has a history of zero issues/niggles. However, the budget was a major constraint. I could stretch and obtain a loan, however, on extensive research I realized that the cost doesn't justify what you get IMO. So the options boiled down to XUV500 as it satisfied all our below listed primary requirements -
- Butch looks
- 7 seater (for accommodating parents ; occasional though)
- AWD - Though i'm not into off-roading, I share the same opinion as other bhpian's that an SUV has to be a 4 wheel drive.
- Automatic - This was primarily a request from my wife as she wanted to share the driving load during our long trips (a lot concerned about my health ). And she is comfortable only with an AT (driving license too is for AT only).
- Budget of 20 lakh plus or minus 2 lakh.

Complete booking & delivery experience with the dealership
There are only 2 Mahindra dealerships for XUV at Kochi. One is TVS Mahindra and the other is KTC Mahindra. I went with TVS Mahindra, located near Kundanoor junction, Maradu, Kochi. The relationship started with a cold call to the dealership and they immediately connected me with a sales executive. During this time (sometime in May 2016), I was working outside India and the plan was to return to India on 1st July 2016. We used to communicate often via whatsapp and couple of direct calls. This was primarily to share the price as well as to clarify my doubts, which he responded very well.

After me return to India, I took a test drive along with family and decided to pay the booking amount of INR 50,000 on 13th July. Though the dealer anticipated delivery in 20~22 days from booking, the vehicle was delivered to the dealership within 12 days (on 25th July). That was pretty fast and I was delighted. However, there were 2 hurdles before I could keep hands on the car - 1. The current Malayalam month being in-auspicious, my wife was against any delivery date before 17th August. 2. The finance (though self funded) won't be ready by 12th August as I was waiting for a fixed-deposit to mature.

Once the hurdles were crossed, we took the delivery on 17th August.
My wife and I went to take delivery as my kids had gone to school being a week-day.

I would rate the dealer 9/10 for the overall experience. Interestingly, even though all the communication and PDI processes were done meticulously by dealer as well as re-checked by me, we had some interesting surprises on the day of delivery - 1. the dealer forgot to hand-over the original insurance certificate and I too missed it while checking the documents, 2. Missing detailed itemized bill from dealer especially on accessory and extended warranty cost as well as extended warranty certificate.

The picture says it all - Husband(I) and wife during the key hand-over ceremony @ TVS Mahindra, Kochi.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-key-delivery.jpg

On-road price & discounts
Ex showroom - 1,863,946
Zero dep, bumper to bumper insurance - 50,951
Road Tax - 279,992
Accessories (rain visor, side step, door beads, floor mat) - 19,561
Underbody coating - 7,339
Extended warranty - 15,950
Tax (to be refunded by IT during filing process) - 18,639
Total = 22,56,378

Discounts
1. Corporate discount - 10,000
2. Exchange bonus for i10 - 15,000
3. Old i10 - 205,000 (2009 Nov model with 33 K on ODO)

Net Paid Amount - INR 20,26,378

Engine type & variant
mHawk 140 Diesel Engine, 5th Generation Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)
2179 cc ; 103 kW (140 bhp) @ 3750 rpm ; 330 Nm @1600-2800 rpm
6-Speed Automatic Transmission

Safety & related equipment
- 6 air bags ; Front, side and curtain
- ESP 9 with roll-over mitigation
- Hill descent and hill-hold control (Extremely useful feature especially hill-hold control ; came handy many a times)
- ABS with EBD
- Disc brakes on all wheels

Experience so far
XUV is all about looks. The design just grows on you. I remember long back, when the XUV was initially introduced, I never had any interest for such looks at that time. However, these days, I simply drool at the looks. Having driven only sedans or hatches so far, the upgrade to XUV is a completely new feeling.

On the day of delivery, the ODO read 35 kms. And as on this date, it read 7900 kms (6+ months). My usage pattern would be around Zero kms daily (as I use my bike for office commute), around 60 kms on week-ends to our home town, and a long trip once in 2~3 months.

Overall build quality, fit & finish, paint quality and panel gaps
Build quality is good, fit and finish is decent, paint quality is normal. Some simple scratches have started coming these days and I think I need to given her a 3M coating.
By the way, panel gaps are glaringly visible at some places (for e.g. on bonnet lid). I can almost see the top portion of bonnet through this gap. I hope it doesn't give me trouble from rain, insects etc.

Wheels & tyres
Retained the factory fitted Bridgestone Duelers HT. So far, they are performing good without any annoying noise. I somehow didn't like the alloy design as am more inclined to a sporty design for SUVs and this one is a let down. During the long trip done so far on highways, I would say the tyres performed well. It even took some hits on some un-expected pot-holes and never failed. Btw, I always ensure that the tyre pressure is checked once a month and always maintain the manufacturer recommended value.

Interior design & quality (plastics, upholstery, fit & finish etc.)
The interior design is ergonomic especially all the control switches and stalks are at the right distance. The 8 way adjustable seat is really handy to find a comfortable driving position. The leather seats does catch dirt pretty easily. In my case, I have 2 toddlers and they add to the woes. One of them even bit the faux wood panel on the left window pane

The plastics look and feel is better compared to earlier version of XUV.
However, the control stalks felt very weak.

There is no rattling noise from the dashboard so far, however, I hear a tak-tak noise from 2nd row seats while traversing bad patches on the road at reasonable speeds. Though I reported this issue during first service, it doesn't seem to be fixed.

There is a sun-glass holder attached to the roof, and is lined with a soft material so that it doesn't scratch the glass.

The cockpit.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-cockpit.jpg

The neatly laid out centre console and a closer look at the special switches.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-center-console.jpg

Interior space and Comfort
Front - The interior space is phenomenal for front and mid row passengers, especially legroom, thigh support, headroom and width. There are no floor humps to annoy the middle person in the second row. This is the USP of XUV. Interior storage space too is decent with a lot of practicality built into it (for e.g. there is an umbrella holder on the door). However, I find it difficult to store parking cards or toll receipts quickly after collecting them. There is no storage cubicle on the right-side of steering. This is there in the Maruti Celerio and it is pretty functional. Hence, in XUV, I need to open up the centre flap-box to keep them.
Back - The 3rd row seats are best suited for kids. Minimal leg room and head room being the reason.

Every door pad gets a bottle holder. Even the third row passengers have a slot to keep bottle.

There is an ambient blue themed lighting and it really spruce up the interior at night. There are red alert lights on all doors that automatically switch on at night. This warns other motorists that the door is either open/is opening.

The phenomenal mid-row leg space.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-mid-row-new.jpg

Engine performance & driveability
City - Engine revs well in slow speed and offers decent driveability.
Highways - The engine revs happily on faster speeds especially on butter smooth highways.
By the way, two laudable points regarding engine are the absence of turbo lag and the presence of raw power to tackle any kind of situation at any point in time. There is sufficient power on demand that makes overtaking a breeze. No more doubts whether to overtake or not in tricky situations.

Overall, I feel it is 'gem of an engine' with a legendary track record.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-engine-bay.jpg

Performance of auto gear box
Being automatic, there are no gear shifts or clutch to worry about. It is boon in bumper-to-bumper traffic. However, I felt that the gear shifting is a bit slow. There seems to be some lag, however, am not sure, as I haven't driven any other automatic car earler to compare (except Celerio AMT, which is not a similar technology).

There is a manual mode available, which I haven't tried yet.

AWD
I haven't got a chance to use this system to its full-potential. There is my relatives house which is located on the slopes of a mountainous terrain. It is always a nightmare to take any car there as we always experienced wheel spin and sliding common there. On rainy days, the situation gets worst. I took XUV there once and the journey was completely smooth (it wasn't rainy though). Didn't switched-on AWD and still the car traversed the trail without any wheelspin or slide. And I was delighted.

Overall NVH levels
Engine sound is audible inside cabin with all windows up, however, nothing to complaint here for my expectation.
Wind noise is nil during highway rides, however, I do hear a feeble road noise during those long drives.

Comments on the exterior styling & design
As mentioned many times, it has commanding looks from the front. The side profile too is beefy especially with the when arches. However, for me, the rear design is not upto my taste. Fortuner is my bench-mark for the rear.

One more super cool exterior shot.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-right-side-view.jpg

Fuel efficiency
City - Until the first service, it returned 9km/l. Afterward, it is 11km/l average.
Highway - 13 km/l.

Suspension & ride quality
Low speeds - IMO decent, however, on speed breaker / pot holes, it is really bumpy.
High speeds - Superb ride quality in high speeds especially on even roads.

Handling, on-road behaviour, grip levels, stability, body roll & turning radius
XUV feels well planted on the road, and posses very good handling characteristics. You will definitely feel confident at high-speeds. Body roll felt minimal. Turning radius is decent even though the car looks massive. No nervous moments around the corner even at decent speeds. Feels solid and planted even at high speeds. XUV 500 behaves like a car in handling due to its monocoque design.

Steering and Driving position
Size - Felt bigger than a sedan/hatch. Feels awesome.
Feedback - Decent.
Weight - It does weigh reasonable.
Looks - Gorgeous. It has a nice feel to touch as well as to hold with thumb contours. The steering wheel comes with tilt and telescopic adjustments. Combined with the 8 way adjustable seat, you can spot-on your comfortable driving position.
However, I definitely miss the kind of feel I experienced in my first-gen Figo on its hydraulic power steering.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-steering-wheel.jpg

Ergonomics, controls & MID
All the dashboard controls are easy within reach and no concerns there. MID being integrated with audio system displays fuel economy, temperature statistics, Tyre Pressure Monitoring system etc. All of these features are very useful and you don't have to invest separately.

Cruise control - I tried it few times on long highways, but the opportunity to stay on 'cruise' mode is not that high on India roads.

Visibility & size of mirrors
The drivers visibility is reasonable, though there are some blind spots especially due to thick A pillars. I felt the IRVM is very small, and the ORVMs are of reasonable size.

Audio system & sound quality
It is basic with almost no bass. Being an audiophile, an upgrade is very much needed for me. However, am a bit concerned about opening up dash-board and door panels while performing upgradation. Need to figure out a good place in Kochi whom I can trust this job. BHPians, please let me know some recommended place at Kochi.

Interior storage, practicality & boot space
There are ample storage spaces inside the cabin. Only concern is on the almost nil boot space with all 3 rows up. Again, if you do not intend to carry 7 adults with their luggage 5 days a week, this limitation need not be a concern.

Boot-space OR the lack of it.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-boot-space.jpg

Brakes
Braking is confidence inspiring though I haven't tried hard-braking so far.
The 'feel' is reasonable as well as the 'effectiveness'. I felt the 'range' also spot-on.

Ground clearance
195mm as per specs and haven't had any issues so far. However, it is a bit early to comment as I haven't taken it on soft-roads.

Quality of after-sales service
Got preferential treatment on the day of first service. I guess all XUV owners were given first-attendance compared to other cars. Btw, I tried to book the service appointment using the app, however, the app threw some errors. So went the traditional way of booking over phone call to the service center. Car was delivered as per the committed time on the same day itself and no concerns here.

Cost of upkeep & maintenance - So far, incurred the first service cost alone which came to approx. Rs 3200/-.

And finally, the much awaited part - niggles
Yes, I too faced few minor issues -
1. The valve of one of the tyres was protruding than normal and hence could not top-up air from a fuel-station. Finally, ended up taking the SUV to service center. It only took 5 minutes to resolve it and I was out of the service centre in no time.
2. Noise from a loosely fitted plastic part near the gear area. Nothing irritating here. It got fixed during the first service.
3. Reduced air flow from mid-row ac vent. It too got fixed during the first service.
4. A whining sound while rotating the steering to the right-hand side. Again, nothing annoying here. It too got fixed during the first service.

That's it on the niggles so far

Did 2 long trips until now-
1. Kochi -> Munnar -> Valparai -> Chalakkudi -> Kochi
2. Kochi -> Mangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore -> Chennai -> Kochi (around 2500 kms)

Absolutely no issues or concerns faced during the above rides.

Family's observation - Though my kids love XUV, my wife says that the mid-row seat comfort is better in a sedan. Parents too like the car a lot except for the slightly difficult ingress and egress compared to a sedan/hatch.

Note - Some photographs were taken using DSLR, while others were taken using iPhone6. Kindly excuse me for the quality of images taken on phone.
[Contd. in next thread]

Last edited by SteeringStar : 19th March 2017 at 22:28.
SteeringStar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 22:37   #2
BHPian

A dream come true! 2016 XUV500 AWD AT [Contd.]

Now let me talk about the not-so-critical but significant features and equipment.

1.Tool-kit - It consists of Assembly screw jack, jack operating lever, wheel spanner, tow bar, deo spanner and screw driver. It is conveniently located behind the third row seats on the floor. However, the warning triangle is located on the rear door trim below the camping lamp.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-01-tool-kit.jpg

2. Spare wheel - It is located below the floor at the rear end of the vehicle. It is held in place by a securing nut underneath the rear luggage compartment floor carpet. I haven/t had a chance to use the spare wheel yet. So, not sure how easy or difficult is to secure/un-secure the spare wheel.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-02-spare-wheel.jpg

3. Warning lamps - There are a multitude of warning lamps on the instrument cluster namely, parking lamp, seat belt warning lamp, AWD lamp, turn-indicators, air-bag warning, front and rear fog lamp, glow-plug, vehicle armed status, fuel and 'water in fuel' warning, cruise control indicator, temperature, low engine oil warning, ESP system warning, ABS, warning, ESP off lamp, tiretronics, check-engine lamp, parking lamp, OBD check, headlamp indicator, AT malfunction indicator, charging system and door ajar warning lamps.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-03-inst-cluster.jpg

4. Lock and keys - This model comes with PKE or Passive Keyless Entry. You touch the small rectangular button on the door handle with the keys in your pocket and voila, the doors are opened. The key fob looks beautiful, at the same time sturdy. Now, while locking the door, even after pressing the outside door handle button, if the doors do not lock, a chime is hard along with hazard blinking for 3 times, then one of the following situations are true-
-A smart key is kept inside the vehicle
-the vehicle ignition ON position
-one of the doors not closed properly

If the smart key does not operate normally, you can lock or unlock the doors by using the mechanical key. In order to remove the mechanical key, press and hold the release button in the side of the key fob and pull the mechanical key head.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-04-key11.jpg
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-04-key22.jpg
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-04-key3.jpg

5. Engine Immobilizer system - This system prevents the engine from being started unless it recognizes signals from the correct coded key.

6. Quadruple switch - This one controls the below functions
-Both LH and RH ORVM folding
-ORVM selector
-ORVM adjustment
-power window function of all windows in the vehicle
-power window safety switch.
Please note that the driver-side window alone is auto-express up or down.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-06-quad-switch.jpg

7. Sunvisor - They come with an extension as well as small ticket holder as well.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-07-sun-visor.jpg

[Contd.]

Last edited by SteeringStar : 19th March 2017 at 22:02.
SteeringStar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 22:06   #3
BHPian

[Contd.]

8. Utility holders
8.1 Upper console tray
8.2 Centre console storage with cooler
8.3 Multi-box storage - above infotainment system ; for storing mobiles, wallets, tickets etc.
8.4 Centre Box - a convenient place to keep your mobile for charging
8.5 Upper glove box and lower glove box
8.6 Second-row seat arm rest cum cup holder
8.7 Third row cup holder
8.8 Magazine pocket
8.9 Bottle and umbrella holder
8.10 Grip handle with coat hook
8.11 Sun glass holder
Attached Thumbnails
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-util1.jpg  

A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-util2.jpg  

A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-util3.jpg  

A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-util4.jpg  

A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-util5.jpg  

A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-util6.jpg  

A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-util7.jpg  

A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-util8.jpg  

A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-util9.jpg  

SteeringStar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 22:14   #4
BHPian

[Contd.]

9. Interior lamps - this one is a high-light. They comprise of front and rear roof lamps, map reading lamps, ambience lamps (icy blue) and start/stop button illumination. Please note that the roof/map reading lamps are very powerful and hence not recommended to keep it on for a long time.

The ambience lamps are spread across front roof, under the seats, foot-well on driver side, below door handle and above bottle holder in the inner door trim.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-09-int-lamps.jpg

10. Power outlets - 3 of them. In the compartment below the centre bezel switch bank, second row behind the centre storage console, third row below the manual fuel lid open knob.

11. Auto head-lamp - This feature works on the outside ambient light intensity input by the RLS (Rain Light sensor).Based on this input, the head lamps are turned on/off. For no particular reason, am not using this feature as I want to continue the traditional way.

The head-lamps are equipped with Follow-me Home feature as well as Lead Me to Vehicle as well.

12. Puddle lamps - They are located at the bottom of the front and rear doors.

13. Entry assist lamp with logo projection - they are located on the bottom of left and right ORVM.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-13-logo-lamp.jpg

14. Auto-rear wiping - With the front wipers ON and rear wipers OFF, engaging the reverse gear activates the rear wiper.

15. Electric sunroof - This makes the driving experience more enjoyable by bringing light and sun shine into the vehicle. It provides a real open air feeling with pure driving fun. The sun roof can be tilted up/down as well as slided back/front.

16. Steering controls - The layout is simple and controls basic audio functions as well as mobile via Bluetooth. The cruise control switch is also kept here.

17. Automatic climate control - It controls blower fan speeds, air intake mode, temperature and modes based on the set temperature. The infotainment displays various status while you operate the ACC knobs. The 3rd row ac can be switched on/off separately based on need.

18. Both the front and rear wind shields can be de-fogged or de-misted with the click of a button located on the blower speed control and temperature control dials respectively.

19. Hill Descent Control - This assists the driver to descend a steep hill by means of brake intervention limiting the vehicle speed without driver's input. Am yet to try this feature.

20. Hill Hold Control - HHC will prevent the vehicle from rolling to the opposite direction of the driver intended direction. This is a very good feature especially on hilly terrains or roads.

21. Cruise control override function - this enable the driver to ramp up the cruising speed to overtake front vehicle. Accelerator pedal can be used, however, should complete the manoeuvre within 30 seconds.

22. Fuel lid opening and closing - the remote fuel lid can be opened by gently pressing the fuel lid button on the instrument panel driver side. In the unlikely event of remote switch not opening, a mechanical override is provided in the LH area behind 3rd row seats.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-22-fuel-opener.jpg

23. TPMS - Though the instrument cluster warn for low tyre-pressure (I guess the cut off is less than 24 psi), to know the exact pressure, you will need to use the mobile app.

24. Towing - There are 2 tow hooks, one at the front and the other at the rear.

25. Infotainment system - It consists of
- 18 cm/7" touch screen color display (resistive feather touch)-reasonably responsive
-12 AM/6 FM tuner
-Usb audio/video and ipod
-aux audio input
-Bluetooth - hands free, phone book, music and sms read out
-audio adjustments
-remote control
-Voice recognition
-gps navigation
-reverse park assist system and camera
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-infotain1.jpg
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-infotain2.jpg
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-infotain3.jpg
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-infotain4.jpg

26. Tow hooks are located at the front as well as rear.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-tow-hook-front.jpg
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-tow-hook-rear.jpg

27. All seats are leather with partial perforation.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-perforated-seat.jpg

[Contd.]
SteeringStar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 22:21   #5
BHPian

re: A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT

Adding few more pics for your viewing pleasure.

The rear exhaust area. Isn't it sporty?
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-exhaust.jpg

This one is a much needed accessory especially if you travel with senior citizens.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-foot-step.jpg

Neatly designed head-lamps. There are really powerful with stock bulbs. You can also notice the static bending lights. They are really useful especially on dimly lit curved areas in your path.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-head-lamp.jpg

A closer look at the grill design in front of intercooler.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-intercooler.jpg

A closer look at the gear lever area. You can notice the start-stop button.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-gar-lever-area.jpg

The mid-row air-con. They are placed on the B-pillar.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-side-aircon.jpg

The Mahindra logo. Btw, the XUV being completely designed and built in India, I feel patriotic while riding it.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-logo-copy.jpg

Btw, I haven't named the car yet. Soliciting suggestions from bhp'ians.
That's it for now. Will keep adding photos and updates to this post in the coming days.

A parting shot!
Yours truly.
A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT-parting-shot.jpg
SteeringStar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 08:18   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A dream come true! 2016 Mahindra XUV500 AWD AT

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 11:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeringStar View Post
Here goes my first blog on team-bhp.
Congratulations. If one needs AWD & Proper Automatic, this is the only option in the 20 Lakh budget.

Quote:
- AWD - Though i'm not into off-roading, I share the same opinion as other bhpian's that an SUV has to be a 4 wheel drive.
- Automatic - This was primarily a request from my wife as she wanted to share the driving load during our long trips (a lot concerned about my health ). And she is comfortable only with an AT (driving license too is for AT only).
- Budget of 20 lakh plus or minus 2 lakh.
XUV 500 Automatic AWD is the only vehicle that fits the above requirements.

Quote:
Didn't switched-on AWD and still the car traversed the trail without any wheelspin or slide. And I was delighted.
The XUV500 has automatic 4WD. i.e You don't need to turn it on. By default the front wheel are powered. When the front wheels slip, the rear wheels are engaged. The AWD Lock button is required only if you are stuck in some place or know that you are going to get into a tricky situation like cross a stream or patch of ice/snow etc. and need the AWD manually locked.
I have rarely had the opportunity to lock the AWD in the duster. The auto mode meets our needs most of the time.
One more super cool exterior shot.

Quote:
City - Until the first service, it returned 9km/l. Afterward, it is 11km/l average. Highway - 13 km/l.
This is pretty respectable for Automatic with AWD

Quote:
XUV feels well planted on the road, and posses very good handling characteristics.
Initially when XUV500 was launched, the ride and handling was average. But over the years, they have made many improvements to the suspension. Glad that the current versions are much better.

Good luck with your new ride ..

Last edited by 4x4addict : 21st March 2017 at 11:41. Reason: wrong quote.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 12:53   #8
BHPian

@SteeringStar,

Congratulations on your purchase and wish you millions of miles and smiles with this beast!

I loved the way you have articulated the details with attention to detail and at the same time in simple language as well. Request you to keep updating this thread regularly.

I currently drive a 2009 Honda City AT and I am sitting on the fence with respect to my next car (SUV it will be). XUV 500 is my first preference considering the Value For Money tag. The way I see it, there is no other vehicle in that price bracket which offers these many features combined with the form factor. Niggles are the only thing which are keeping me away!
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Moderators for the detailed review comments, without which this post wouldn't have seen the light. Much appreciated!
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
@SteeringStar,

......I currently drive a 2009 Honda City AT and I am sitting on the fence with respect to my next car (SUV it will be). XUV 500 is my first preference considering the Value For Money tag. The way I see it, there is no other vehicle in that price bracket which offers these many features combined with the form factor. Niggles are the only thing which are keeping me away!
XUV500 is a good upgrade option from Honda city, but I recommend you to consider all angles.

If you are mostly confined to city roads, daily short-rides (~50+km city ride daily), then I would recommend a more comfortable sedan. The size of XUV can also be a challenge in city parking spaces. I use my wife's celerio for such rides. Again, this is just my perspective and you may be better good with XUV in city too.

Regarding niggles, I too was totally put-off by the stories in TBHP, especially the ones during its early years. However, I checked with couple of my friends who own a recent XUV before buying it last year. And their experience was encouraging. And that is the reason I decided to go with it. Btw, things have definitely improved, but, please do not expect Toyota level quality here.
Old 5th April 2017, 17:06   #11
BHPian

Well written and totally relate to the emotional experience of an upgrade!! An SUV is an SUV..The market is filled with a lot of SUVish cars that do not even come close to the driving experience of a full blown SUV.

The Mahindra's tend to have a soft / boat like bouncy suspension. Did you notice that evidently after having driven "Figo". I know the Figo ride is more planted and feels good. Also the service experience in Mahindra?
Sabrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 18:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrish View Post
-----
The Mahindra's tend to have a soft / boat like bouncy suspension. Did you notice that evidently after having driven "Figo". I know the Figo ride is more planted and feels good...
That boat like bouncy suspension is very evident in Scorpio, but not in XUV. However, if you ride at a very slow speed on speed-breaker or bad patches, you may feel a bit of bounciness. However, it is definitely not similar to Scorpio.
What I usually do in normal speed-breakers is slow down little bit only and push through. Actually, you won't feel the hit at all unlike sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrish View Post
Also the service experience in Mahindra?
So far good. Am being cautious here as I heard mixed responses from different owners.

Visited thrice so far-
1. A niggle on the tyre valve. It was fixed in less than 5 minutes and I didn't even had to fill any service forms. Much appreciated.
2. First paid service - Was given first priority in the queue, in fact all XUV owners got it that day. Not sure if it is a Mahindra mandated requirement on Service center. All jobs done to my satisfaction. Prompt delivery as well.
3. A free water wash offer - This was also done to my satisfaction.
SteeringStar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 19:18   #13
BHPian

HI All,

Completed the 10K service couple of weeks back. No major issues. Only concern I had was the reduced 2nd row ac blower speed. It has been fixed during the service.

The vehicle was delivered after service as per the committed time. Only the water wash quality need to be improved (TVS Mahindra, Maradu, Kochi). Would rate them 8/10.

Btw, engine oil was not replaced. They said it would be replaced during the 20K service. I was surprised. Is that so? (to fellow BHP'ians).

Btw, went for a Kochi-Ooty trip just before the service. A total of 650+ Km. The ride was smooth and no issues encountered.
Old 10th June 2017, 00:20   #14
Team-BHP Support

10k is the max that I would run on any mineral oil in our driving conditions. Suggest you get it changed immediately.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
HI All,

Completed the 10K service couple of weeks back. No major issues. Only concern I had was the reduced 2nd row ac blower speed. It has been fixed during the service.

The vehicle was delivered after service as per the committed time. Only the water wash quality need to be improved (TVS Mahindra, Maradu, Kochi). Would rate them 8/10.

Btw, engine oil was not replaced. They said it would be replaced during the 20K service. I was surprised. Is that so? (to fellow BHP'ians).

Btw, went for a Kochi-Ooty trip just before the service. A total of 650+ Km. The ride was smooth and no issues encountered.
waiting for more updates from you on the auto version, i have heard horror stories from people on mahindra auto boxes leaving them stuck on road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks