Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2016, 12:23   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Hyundai Creta Petrol Automatic (1st-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Fuel efficiency :
100% city usage, moderate ac, not taken above 3k rpm

8.72kmpl (tankful to tankful method)

Hope it touches touches 10, considering car has only done 650km right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaymore19 View Post
Its 6-7 kmpl in city (Mumbai) with decent traffic and 10 kmpl on highways not exceeding 70 kmph mark . Not sure if this will really improve with more kms as the service guy dint have any inputs. If any of you had similar experience please do share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
City mileage will remain in single digits mostly with moderate traffic conditions. You may stretch it to 8-9 kmpl with good balanced driving. Highways will also give around 12-13 kmpl. Hyundai claimed fuel efficiency under ideal conditions itself is not more than 13 kmpl if i'm not mistaken.
The Creta's is a textbook slushbox which loves to churn its fluids before delivering any real go. Slow and laxy. Such a transmission is never going to give good mileage or an engaging driving experience.

From what I make from all the posts here is that it is only the competence of the diesel engine which makes the drive acceptable. The petrol AT is well and truly a laggard on our far from ideal roads and traffic.
Old 12th December 2016, 12:52   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
From what I make from all the posts here is that it is only the competence of the diesel engine which makes the drive acceptable. The petrol AT is well and truly a laggard on our far from ideal roads and traffic.

I feel its little exaggerated, especially if you're saying you haven't driven it. It's not a laggard by any form. It responds best to part throttle inputs instead of fully jamming it.I'll admit it is difficult to get used to, or accept after driving manuals, you can't zip in and out of traffic very fast but I'd still say it's better to drive than the city cvt because of the city's rubber band effect and excessive noise when you want to go fast. It's important to note that the petrol at and diesel at aren't very different in performance, as reported by many members and online reviews as well. I was watching an overdrive or motoring review of the petrol at on YouTube and they actually rate the petrol at better than the diesel at.

At close to 15 lakhs on road with no other alternative I think it's a pretty decent choice made by myself and the 10-12 members here. The diesel can be bought by those with higher usage for the efficiency but it is dearer by 2 lakhs. I remember someone saying on the forum that the diesel auto and petrol auto have the same 0-100 timing of 12.XX seconds too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
You are spot on here Omkar. This is not only an issue with the Petrol AT but also the Diesel AT.

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2016 at 13:04.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 18:29   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel efficiency :
100% city usage, moderate ac, not taken above 3k rpm

8.72kmpl (tankful to tankful method)

Hope it touches touches 10, considering car has only done 650km right now.
It's giving a little more than 10 now! Moderate ac and full city usage. Very very impressive, expections were of not more than 7-8. But ofcourse it has not been driven hard because I believe a little in running in .

Very comfortable car to drive and sit in however it is not a car meant to be driven fast or enthusiastically, because of it's very light steering and weak brakes in my opinion...
Old 6th January 2017, 14:07   #34
BHPian

Quote:
you can't zip in and out of traffic very fast but I'd still say it's better to drive than the city cvt because of the city's rubber band effect and excessive noise when you want to go fast. I remember someone saying on the forum that the diesel auto and petrol auto have the same 0-100 timing of 12.XX seconds too.
City CVT sluggish than Creta AT? Any figures to prove that? Driving the CVT for the last 2.5 years and never felt it sluggish. However, being a CVT in 'D' mode, the driving need to be a bit patient to get the correct acceleration combined with a good FE. CVT needs to have a lighter foot in 'D' mode for better acceleration and FE. The rubber band (say a lag of max 2 seconds) would be there on a harder foot in 'D' mode but can be neutralized immediately with the paddle shifts.

In 'S' mode the CVT is as powerful as the Manual and I don't think the Creta can beat it. A harder foot does work out here. The noise which you mentioned is actually in 'S' mode hard acceleration and is not really excessive, but in fact it sounds like a sports car and for me personally not irritating but exciting.

The Autocar timings are mentioned in their magazine. The CVT takes about 11+ seconds to reach from 0-100.

The FE I am getting in City conditions are from 11 to 13.5 kms/l and on highway conditions from 15 to 20.5 kms/l.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th January 2017 at 21:24. Reason: quote tag fixed.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 21:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I remember someone saying on the forum that the diesel auto and petrol auto have the same 0-100 timing of 12.XX seconds too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmansingh09 View Post
But I must say the car is extremely useful in city traffic and the best part is 6 speed auto in the petrol manages to do 0-100km/hr in 12.5 seconds which is the same as a diesel automatic hence power isn't an issue.

The plus point in having the creta petrol auto is the refinement as the sheer comfortness. I covered about 8500 in 2 months and never have I felt it being underpowered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
However, being a CVT in 'D' mode, the driving need to be a bit patient to get the correct acceleration combined with a good FE.
========
The FE I am getting in City conditions are from 11 to 13.5 kms/l and on highway conditions from 15 to 20.5 kms/l.
Buddy I was just expressing my opinion, I didn't say the city was "sluggish" it's just that I find the creta better to drive in the automatic guise because of the reasons quoted from your own post .

Isnt "2 seconds" too much to close a gap in traffic? How patient can one be in D mode and at the same time how often should one be in S mode to overcome it?
And also what does one do with the sv CVT model which doesn't have paddle shifters?

And no, I don't have any figures however I also own a city ivtec and let's be honest, the engine is not as responsive as the Hyundai's at lower rpms, say till about 2200 after which, however, it shows its horses.
Old 8th January 2017, 14:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:

Isnt "2 seconds" too much to close a gap in traffic? How patient can one be in D mode and at the same time how often should one be in S mode to overcome it?
And also what does one do with the sv CVT model which doesn't have paddle shifters?

And no, I don't have any figures however I also own a city ivtec and let's be honest, the engine is not as responsive as the Hyundai's at lower rpms, say till about 2200 after which, however, it shows its horses.
2 seconds is the time I'm guessing. It may be less than that too. I haven't measured the lag in seconds but that would be there for any Automatic vehicle probably not with the twin clutch DSG's. I haven't test driven the Creta AT yet.

Of course, the SV CVT model does have that issue of not having a paddle or tiptronic. But, again for an overtaking the 'S' mode would be sufficient. Yeah, but still you may have to do a compensation by releasing the accelerator pedal for a second to negate that rubber band effect.

If you are feeling a very bad lag in your City, then Air Filter must be clogged or there would be some other reason. Better to have a checkup on that.

For automatic cars, it all depends on how we drive. For a real performance comparison, we may need to look at the acceleration figures by Autocar or other magazines or blogs.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 14:44   #37
BHPian

Sorry to interrupt @adarsh76 and @rayjaycleoful

I own both Creta Petrol Auto and City VX CVT

Personally, Creta feels quicker only because of the torque convertor and the sheer size of the vehicle propelling towards the road however i have managed to hit 10.2 0-100 in the city once without AC (Unable to Prove Accuracy) and 12.1 on the Creta, Same road.
The honda feels stressed only because of the CVT effect, not a lot of movement but high revs,
That said the engine in creta is so much refined at lower rpm's it could give an A3 a run for its money, city does sound quite strained at any given revs
Not taking sides and again sorry for interrupting but id say Honda city cvt is best used in S with Simulated gears and paddle shifts.
Creta can be simply used without any modes. I feel D Mode is more than sufficient to propel the vehicle
Harmansingh09 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 18:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to interrupt @adarsh76 and @rayjaycleoful

I own both Creta Petrol Auto and City VX CVT

Personally, Creta feels quicker only because of the torque convertor and the sheer size of the vehicle propelling towards the road however i have managed to hit 10.2 0-100 in the city once without AC (Unable to Prove Accuracy) and 12.1 on the Creta, Same road.
The honda feels stressed only because of the CVT effect, not a lot of movement but high revs,
That said the engine in creta is so much refined at lower rpm's it could give an A3 a run for its money, city does sound quite strained at any given revs
Not taking sides and again sorry for interrupting but id say Honda city cvt is best used in S with Simulated gears and paddle shifts.
Creta can be simply used without any modes. I feel D Mode is more than sufficient to propel the vehicle
Exactly as you said. That strain is a characteristic for a CVT especially in 'D' mode for City. But the payback is a relatively higher FE when driving in 'D' mode. FE for my car is consistently improving after 15,000 kms even in bumper to bumper conditions. With a fully loaded car (4 adults and 1 child and even the boot was jam packed) I got an FE of 14+ to 15+ in 'D' mode with 'S' mode used for overtaking whenever required.

But if you feel a lag then the air filter mostly is to blame. I now clean once per week myself.

Yes,I need to take a test drive of the Creta AT . But it's really the Duster AMT which I am aspiring. I would have purchased the Duster AMT had it been in the market during May 2014 time. Rear space and interior quality seems to be a let down though.
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:38   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Exactly as you said. That strain is a characteristic for a CVT especially in 'D' mode for City.
======
But it's really the Duster AMT which I am aspiring. I would have purchased the Duster AMT had it been in the market during May 2014 time. Rear space and interior quality seems to be a let down though.

Duster AMT is a very promising vehicle and i managed to test drive it for a short distance of 15km including DelhiNoidaDelhi Freeway. The car pulls well on very light throttle inputs, give it the beans and it starts to hesitate and stalls you for a second or two before pulling it back
Best bet stick it in left for manual mode and push it up for shifting down and then the car picks up pace quite well.

As per the airfilter, i am gonna get it cleaned tomorrow. Thank you for suggesting.

Interior space as compared to creta is less in duster for sure, neither the interior quality of positioning that well done. Headunit is so low that you need to get your eyes off the road to check it.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th April 2017 at 17:14. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Interior space as compared to creta is less in duster for sure, neither the interior quality of positioning that well done.
Isn't Duster supposed to be wider and offer more shoulder room for the 3rd passenger?
Old 4th February 2017, 06:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Isn't Duster supposed to be wider and offer more shoulder room for the 3rd passenger?

Actually leg room is a bit less compared to duster and same is the case with headroom, however 3 people fit a bit more comfortably in the back of the duster compared to creta
Harmansingh09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 16:44   #42
BHPian

Has anyone tried to sell their Creta Petrol AT model? Does it have good resale potential considering its low mileage and sedate driving characterestics?
Old 11th April 2017, 17:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

AT's are all about comfort and sedate driving. I've never floored an AT like you do a manual; it can turn around an bite back and braking may turn a little scary as in the D mode it up shifts to a higher gear and engine braking is absent and you may feel the brakes are inadequate. In a manual you select a gear II or III and floor it and the box doesn't up shift till you want it to (engine braking), but in an AT it just moves on to a higher gear unless you're in manual mode and are in lower gear or S mode with paddle shift selecting a lower gear where you can red line it.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 10:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
AT's are all about comfort and sedate driving. I've never floored an AT like you do a manual; it can turn around an bite back and braking may turn a little scary as in the D mode it up shifts to a higher gear and engine braking is absent and you may feel the brakes are inadequate. In a manual you select a gear II or III and floor it and the box doesn't up shift till you want it to (engine braking), but in an AT it just moves on to a higher gear unless you're in manual mode and are in lower gear or S mode with paddle shift selecting a lower gear where you can red line it.
Is it possible to drive the Creta AT in a full time manual mode? Will it impact the gear box or electronics in any way? And in that case does the fuel economy also match the equivalent manual variant?
Old 12th April 2017, 10:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
And in that case does the fuel economy also match the equivalent manual variant?
I'd guess no. In manual mode, the lowest gear you can choose is 1 which means the engine is always running, even if you're stationary unless you return to neutral. The same thing happens in automatic drive mode. No difference here.

In the diesel AT, the gear shift happens around 2k RPM unless you're flooring it from lower RPM. In comparison, you'd end up delaying a gear shift in manual mode to fully utilize the turbo kick and hence return lower mileage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks