Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 15:43   #31
BHPian

Re: Silk Blue VW Jetta 1.4L TSI - My BlueJay joins duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
After 31,000 Kms and 34 months, the battery gave up.
This morning when I turned the key, starter motor chuckled feebly, but all kinds of warning lights were flashing and the MID went berserk. Check Front right, left, Turn signal, ABS, ASC, "Workshop"! Somehow I kept cool and called in the nearest battery guy. He put in a service battery and everything is quiet. Car started normally and no warning lights nor messages.
Can't VW just set the message to "Battery Low" like mobile phones, instead of scaring the brains out of the driver?
I have ordered Ameron Pro and is expected this evening. Other than that My BlueJay is doing fine - touchwood.
Not sure about this but I think the reason the dash lights up like a Christmas tree is because the lack of battery power hinders the safety check that the car performs at startup. Without power no safety check is performed and a lack of a positive response from the sensors makes the computer to interpret the check as "faulty" or "instrument not working" which in turn lights up all the warning lights.
Old 28th June 2019, 16:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Possible. But, they could just message a warning "No checks done. Not safe to start", and "battery low." Actually the lights are LED and if even with low battery, the computer tries to power them up, it might damage the capacitor or burn the LED panel itself.
Old 25th November 2019, 07:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Posting after long gap. Jetta is a 'peace of mind' car, rarely gives trouble. After 3rd year service last August at 32k kms, the "Mirror Down" function did not work. When I put it in Reverse gear the mirror slightly moved right but refused to move down. I took the car to the service center and showed them the problem. They connected to their diagnostic computer and checked. Everything showed normal and no fault found. And they didn't know what else to do. I came home and am just living with it.
Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys in advance.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 08:04   #34
BHPian

I never got this to work in the first place. Any ideas on how to do this?
Old 25th November 2019, 08:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everything showed normal and no fault found. And they didn't know what else to do. I came home and am just living with it.
Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys in advance.
If it's not working as it should, and they can't fix it, they HAVE to replace it. Why do you have to live with it??

Warranty should cover this right?
Old 25th November 2019, 09:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Agree. I am past all warranties. I didn't take any extended warranty either. So if I have to replace, I will have to pay for entire assembly. That's why I would rather live with it.
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:22   #37
Senior - BHPian

After 40k Kms and 4 years + 4 months, it was time to change shoes of my BlueJay. Without much search, decided on Yokohama Bluearth GT AE51. My friendly tyre guy got for me 4 tyres of same batch - 4020, meaning Oct 2020. Cost: ₹7500 a piece. He charged for balancing and did free alignment check. Not surprisingly, alignment was intact and needed no adjustment. In past 4+ years, I never did alignment check or adjustment. My old tyres had uniform wear and as per the tyre guy, those had 10k kms of more life.

Drove the car for about 200 kms. Compared to GY NCT5s, the ride was smoother and braking was slightly better. However, I felt slight wobbling or Body roll on bends. Probably, due to slightly softer side walls only in comparison with GYs. Tyre pressure was set at 33 psi.
RajaTaurus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 18:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

43k kms and 5 years completed on my Jetta. Yearly service was done at Tirunelveli.

I had a problem with my HU (MIB-II). 2 inches from the edge left and right if the touch panel wouldn't work. Only the middle part responded. Park pilot was working fine. I took it up with the Service center and they said it is gone needs replacement. Original MIB would cost around ₹. 1.5.Lakh they said. And the touch panel alone can't be replaced, he added. Don't know if he was misleading me.

He also made an offer. The HU can be fitted with the new one that comes in Vento 2020 with rear camera. It will only need an adaptor to the connectors. His approx. Price was 24k for the unit and 5k for the adaptor (!). He will also install the rear view camera and do the wiring.

Please advise if there are any alternative options.

Thanks folks.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 29th August 2021 at 18:15.
Old 29th August 2021, 18:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
43k kms and 5 years completed on my Jetta. Yearly service was done at Tirunelveli.

I had a problem with my HU (MIB-II). 2 inches from the edge left and right of the touch panel wouldn't work. Only the middle part responded. Park pilot was working fine. I took it up with the Service center and they said it is gone needs replacement. Original MIB would cost around ₹. 1.5.Lakh they said. And the touch panel alone can't be replaced, he added. Don't know if he was misleading me.

He also made an offer. The HU can be fitted with the new one that comes in Vento 2020 with rear camera. It will only need an adaptor to the connectors. His approx. Price was 24k for the unit and 5k for the adaptor (!). He will also install the rear view camera and do the wiring.

Thanks folks.
I have an adaptor with me which I no more need and would let go for much less. Let me know if u r talking abt the canbus adaptor in this case.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 18:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

^^ Sure I will take when I firm up my decision to go for this replacement.

If your adaptor has any model number that you could share, I can check with the VW guys for compatibility.

Thanks for the lightning response. ��
Old 29th August 2021, 18:40   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks folks.
Alternate options are used Skoda / VW units that would be plug and play (check the classifieds), otherwise can look at after market options from Pioneer, Sony, etc. These would be cheaper, and have additional capabilities like android auto, Apple car play, etc.
Check for a unit that is compliant with VW Skoda steering controls, etc.
That being said the aftermarket options would look decidedly after market and may need require a panel to be mounted which may remove the flush look of the oem system.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 17:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Update: VW techs removed the unit for the first time.
The model is MIB STD2 PQ +/NAV. Technisat DY7, made in Poland.

We realized that the RCD340 won't fit.
The Quadlock coupler is different.
The system fitted in 2016 Jetta has separate cables and connectors for Park Pilot and Antenna, while RCD 340 has only 1 antenna connection which is also with different plug.
3. Even if I source source suitable couplers, the RCD340 which VW has doesn't support park pilot.

So, it is kind of failed attempt.

Do you folks advise to go to Shailender for RCD340G Plus (which isn't made by VW India) that he is offering with suitable coupler adapter cables.?
Old 6th September 2021, 15:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I got a new lead and contacted "VOLK SKOD" in Kerala. There are videos on U tube by them on RCDs.

After Sharing specs and pin configuration, they suggest that only RCD360 will fit in MIB II system. OPS will be enabled thru VCDS by them before shipping. This has only Car Play and no Android Auto.
Price 26k. The unit has no stickers on it. They say it is direct import. They assure return and full refund id.it doesn't work.

Please give your opinion on this.
Old 14th September 2021, 19:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Alright. Here is my (mis) adventure on the infotainment system of my car.

I ordered a chinese unit which was called RCD360. It had the same quadlock connector as in my MIB 2. The seller explained that it will work perfectly as the connector is same. He promised that if park pilot and steering controls didn't work, he will take the unit back and full refund. Unit was couriered. I installed it in my car and connected up. Bang. Nothing worked. No park pilot, no steering control. The unit was looking so cheap and shabby in front of my MIB 2 and was rapidly heating up too.

I called the seller and he promptly agreed to take back the unit by pre paid courier and refunded immediately in full.

Conclusion: I am back to square one. But, my appreciations to the seller. Name:Volkskod., Kerala for cooperating with me.

Mean while VW contacted me if I agree for direct replacement of same MIB 2. I told them to find out if available in India, if "Activate on Key" will be provided and if Android Auto will work. They are going to come back to me. And hope they don't charge me the moon for that.

Here are pics of my unit and the "RCD 360"!

Decision: Will never look for anything else than the OEM unit, period.

Special thanks to a fellow Bhpian who DM'ed me against the Chinese products.
Attached Thumbnails
Silk Blue VW Jetta 1.4L TSI - My BlueJay joins duty-parkpilot.jpg  

Silk Blue VW Jetta 1.4L TSI - My BlueJay joins duty-img20210913wa0001.jpeg  

Old 13th May 2022, 14:11   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Here is a quick update:

Taming the Turbo - On rural roads, after each speed breaker, the car just refuses to take off on 2nd gear and those few seconds of turbo lag are just killing me.
So nice to bump into this thread. I recently picked up a used Jetta 1.4 (2015). The first time I drove the car, the 2nd gear did surprise me quite a bit. "Is this what a D segment car is supposed to feel like? Unacceptable."

But then I explored the 1.4 TSI a bit and realised, things were much better than I feared. The engine is a proper one. It is no 1.8 TSI, but it is not bad at all.

Quote:
Alright. Here is my (mis) adventure on the infotainment system of my car.

Decision: Will never look for anything else than the OEM unit, period.
I am in a similar boat. My car comes with speakers in the front only. A head unit upgrade would be nice but more than that, I wish for speakers in the rear too. It sounds incomplete without them. Contacted VW service but they said they don't offer such upgrades. Feeling a bit lost - don't want non VW folk to open up a complicated German car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks