Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2016, 15:19   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: Audi A4

Fantastic review, Jaggu, especially considering you barely had 5 - 6 hours with the car. Rating 5 stars!

Can't say the same about the A4 though.

Design: Looks so much like the older car. In comparison, the C-Class looks sexy (although I love Audi's timeless designs).

Engine: Enough said. When I pay premium bucks, I want a premium experience. Giving me a 1.4L in an A4 is like staying in a 5-star hotel but ordering the cheapest food to save $$$. Horrible. Even for non-enthusiasts, the C200 & 320i will have quicker overtaking manouveurs on the highway (a time when you need all the power on tap). I would any which day buy an A3 1.8TSI over this car. Do note that, even for non-car folk, the engine size is something they always refer to. It's one of the reasons that the Corolla Altis never clicked in the private sector.

Price: Too close to the 2.0L competition.

DSG gearbox gremlins: Need I say more?

FWD: RWD is RWD, enough said.

This isn't a car I'd recommend to anyone. Better to buy a Jetta 2.0 TDI or the Octavia 1.8 TSI.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 15:33   #17
BHPian

OT, but just wondering how come of late, the reviews and drive reports don't have Team-BHP number plates photoshopped ?

On the other hand, an extraordinary review for an ordinary car. As most folks have pointed out, I don't think this car will make a big dent. They need to get more engine options quickly!
Old 8th September 2016, 15:53   #18
CGB
BHPian

Superb Review! Why on earth should Audi do such thing to A4? when compared to the competition, it is nowhere as powerful as any of its counterparts. You pay Rs. 38 lakhs and get a 1.4TSI with plague gearbox which is prone for issues. Even many hatchbacks at a fraction of that cost has 1.5L engine

And those alloys have uncanny resemblence with the ones on innova crysta!
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 15:53   #19
BHPian

Agree with everyone else. Nice car with a not so nice engine at a not so nice price.

The instrument cluster is similar to what we have in our commercial aircraft cockpits. It is called a glass cockpit. There a number of LCD screens which can display a good amount of information.

I am sure they will launch more engine choices along the way, but not the best way to launch a new version of a vehicle which gives them a lot of their volumes.
Strella is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 15:55   #20
BHPian

The Audi name sells in India even if it is at a high price so one can be sure that the new A4 will sell in large numbers.
Tarrodie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:18   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The competition is better and the 1.4 being adequate won't do for the majority of customers.
=====
reliable automatic gearboxes, the last being a deal breaker for the Audi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
At 41 lakhs i want to go fast!!
Quote:
But that engine, howsoever good, smooth and economical it is, is a complete turn off .
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
But, why would they even opt for this 1.4L engine.
=== If I were AUDI, I wouldn't opt this engine spec for my flagship seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strella View Post
I am sure they will launch more engine choices along the way, but not the best way to launch a new version of a vehicle which gives them a lot of their volumes.
Yes there are plans for more engines esp the diesels, i understand the TDi is currently under ARAI tests.

Wow! i was not very bothered with the A4's 1.4 TFSI engine when i drove the car, infact i was on a long debate with GTO on how well this car works, not letting down the driver when there is a need for power. BUT after reading the feedbacks, i guess my perceptions are way out of place.

Add the 40 lakh plus on road price and this demand i feel is very justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Do we know which one has been used with the A4 1.4 TFSI? If it's the DQ200, it will be running at its maximum torque load and that is not good for the gearbox that is already infamous for its reliability. I hope Audi has used DQ250.
Not clear news on the exact model of the GB, they say it is improved 7 speed S tronic (Audi's new nomenclature for DSG).

Quote:
I think this click button is to adjust the ambient interior lighting and not beam adjustment.

VSD
Thanks and corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
And those alloys have uncanny resemblence with the ones on innova crysta!
I was wondering where i saw this? Thanks, yes seems to have some inspiration running around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrodie View Post
The Audi name sells in India even if it is at a high price so one can be sure that the new A4 will sell in large numbers.
Banking only on this is not a smart thing to do...
Jaggu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
@ Audi, the '30TFSI' nomenclature gimmickry may win you sales but not RESPECT !
I agree that we expect a much better engine at this price point but I feel that the 30 TFSI is one of the best nomenclature styles in the market. It tell us straight what to expect from the car: a petrol engine which gives 30% of the gravitational force experience under maximum acceleration. This seems to be much better than just writing the displacement of the engine. If I see a car badged 1.4 TFSI, I will just know that it is a 1.4 L petrol engine but I will not know how this will feel like unless I drive the car.

The Q3 is 35 TDI so it is a diesel engine that gives 35% of the gravitational force under full acceleration. The same 2.0 TDI engine in Q5 becomes 30 TDI since Q5 is heavier.

To deep dive more into this, I calculated this for a Polo GT TSI . Using 10 seconds as 0 to 100 timings and substituting this in Newton's equation: v = u + at, the acceleration comes to about 28% of g. So a Polo GT TSI can be badged as 28 TSI.

If I could, I would make this nomenclature a standard practice across all automotive companies
anshumandun is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

A well written review, which we'd all rate above the car itself in this case.

C class looks way more special, and also performs better.
There are lower priced cars that can embarrass the A4 driver on the highway.
The not so observant, wont even realize it is an "All New A4".
For the enthusiasts, this is not going to be right choice.
For the chauffeur driven, the Superb makes a much more solid case.
For the chauffeur driven and the brand conscious, it makes a decent case.

Overall, it is yet another decent car that gets of to a below average start because of pricing and mediocre engine output.
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 17:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review and 5 stars. If this is the A4 with 1.4 Turbo petrol with price of 15+ Lakhs more, then I think I made the right decision to go for a Jetta 1.4 TSI. Just for suspension and 26 bhp, it is not worth, leave alone cockpit gizmos.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2016 at 11:25. Reason: Typos
RajaTaurus is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th September 2016, 17:16   #25
BHPian

Audi seriously goofed this one up. No diesel, inadequate petrol model, FWD and then the fabled DSG. Much like GTO said and just about everyone else, this isn't a car worth buying. Its a shame though, its got some seriously nice features to it. If they launched a bigger engine and a diesel counterpart, that couldve helped rake sales in. But at 41.20L, will anyone really go for this? I don't understand whats Audis thinking here with this. Are they trying to appeal to the D segment owners? Cause if thats the case, only people wanting the brand value will go for a smaller A4 instead of the Superb, Camry and Accord lot.

Although, the MID is a first in this segment, the design as mentioned is timeless, the interiors feel superior to the competition ( though whenever i look at the steering it feels fragile to me).

Moreover, I feel this is the perfect car given to the driver and chauffeured around folks. FWD; no one wants the driver in a RWD trying to stunt, sufficient engine grunt for the driver and the back seat space seems fine. Though it isn't the best in class, perhaps the C and 3 trump it. Also many parents gifting a car to their kids, the FWD A4 would be more safer than a 320 perhaps. I somehow always felt its easier to lose control in a RWD over a FWD. If i wanted to gift my kid a car, id definitely choose a FWD as his first car in a luxury brand. Most kids today start with sub 10-12L cars and none of the cars in this segment are any more than a 100 BHP. So for a kid whose driven a Swift or a Santro all his life, this car would be a good choice. But I'm not too sure if they'd wanna choose the 1.4 A4 over the 1.8 A3.

However, I'm not supporting this decision of Audi to launch a 1.4l over the other engines in their warehouse, I sincerely feel it was a joke they made within themselves.

Audi Executive 1: Hey lets launch the new A4
Audi Executive 2: Yes good idea, but i think we should keep a petrol model only since we don't want this car to sell
Audi Executive 3: Yes and while we are at it, we give the public only 1.4 litre engines so we rake in less money from the all new A4 and get our pockets filled with lower models A3 cash.
Audi Executive 1: Also, we can fool the people with the lure of the bigger A4 and laugh at these dimwits
Audi Executive 2: Can i get an Amen brothers and sisters

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 8th September 2016 at 17:24.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 17:17   #26
BHPian

Well, on a lighter note another company has also launched a 1.4 litre petrol engine. Audi A4 is getting company from the 1.4 litre Hyundai i20 automatic.

I think the 1.4 litre engine looks good for a hatchback costing less than 10 lakhs rather than a car costing 40 lakhs plus.

Last edited by Strella : 8th September 2016 at 17:35.
Strella is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 17:31   #27
BHPian

Great Review Jaggu!

Would be interesting to know whom are they targeting with this offering (1.4T at 38L)

If it meant to be for enthusiasts by offering turbo petrol doesnt make sense as more entertaining cars are available at half the price.

If it was for the chauffer driven grey haired executive, then Diesel might suffice as its more economical to run.

Or are they creating a platform for more pricier variants in future? Then its even more scarier.

Its hard to accept this car at the offered price, it still strains my mind to figure out to whom are they targeting.
slamnos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 18:01   #28
BHPian

Offer following information to an automotive executive -

1. Most of A6, 5 series and E Class sold in India are with lower spec engine
2. A large number of luxury car buyers buy these cars for the brand name
3. Good interiors play higher priority in the buying decision, compared to engine size/performance (refer BMW sales charts)

With this information in hand, the executive is bound to come out with a car which has -

1. Premium interiors - check
2. Great branding - check
3. Adequate engine - check

I am sure, this will sell well in Indian mass luxury market since most of Junta would go after fantastic interiors, devilish DRLs and being an Audi.

Launch price does not matter, as 4-7 lakh discount is always lurking around the corner

Great review Jaggu!!

Last edited by Acharya : 8th September 2016 at 18:04.
Acharya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 18:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Driven: Audi A4

Thanks Jaggu , good review. Audi seems to be banking on selling its gizmos more than the car itself. 1.4 litre engine is disappointing in a 50+ lakh OTR car.
Agreed we will get the 2L engines but would probably be close to 60 lakhs OTR. Then the long wait for discounts start. Stupid!

Interiors are a big step up and so are the features.

S Tronic new nomenclature for the DSG. Audi trying to do away with all the crap surrounding the DSG horror show ?

The other point I was pondering about was the car design. Agreed Audi has stuck to the time tested look. What would happen to this car when they launch the new A6 next year , with their new design ? Will the A4 start to look aged in a couple of years ? The A3 also is slated to get the new look and my guess is that the A4 will get it only after a good 5-7 years.

Driven: Audi A4-imageuploadedbyteambhp1473338062.872288.jpg

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...w-a6-a7-and-a8

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 8th September 2016 at 18:13.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 18:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

The other point I was pondering about was the car design. Agreed Audi has stuck to the time tested look. What would happen to this car when they launch the new A6 next year , with their new design ? Will the A4 start to look aged in a couple of years ? The A3 also is slated to get the new look and my guess is that the A4 will get it only after a good 5-7 years.

Attachment 1551877

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...w-a6-a7-and-a8
To be brutally honest I prefer the current design over this one. This one looks more Hyundai than Audi. The gaping mouth looks like the Creta.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks