Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 17:15   #76
Senior - BHPian

Driven: Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
As I have pointed out earier in this thread, the gearbox in this A4 1.4TFSI cannot be the DQ200, don't let the 250Nm torque output and mention of 7-speed box confuse you. So there shouldn't be worries about the remap being bottle-necked by DSG torque limitations. However I am not sure how much more can be safely extracted from the 1.4TSI engine, it would be better to just wait for 1.8/2.0TSI engines (which I expect to be in the pipeline) or just look at another car if performance is to going to be a major buying decision.

Thanks Avinash, so if this can be remapped to say 180 bhp once all the experts approve of it, so why spend probably another 7-10 lakhs on the 2L 180 bhp ? I am pretty sure Audi will not tune their 2L TFSI to 252 BHP for India like the American spec.
I am assuming that it will probably be 53-57 lakhs OTR Bangalore just like the C and the 3 series.

Can the engine and transmission experts on Audi step in please?

This would be an awesome price post discounts.
42 lakhs OTR.
180 BHP remapped engine or probably an Race Dynamics ECU ?
All the bells and whistles.
Some depreciation benefits for the balance sheet.
So is it sounding like 'Alice in wonderland '. 😀

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 16th September 2016 at 17:26.
Old 17th September 2016, 13:14   #77
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
Then this engine is available in a 180 PS state of tune, that is the least they could have done!!
I am not aware of the engine that Polo cup is running but this might not be the same engine for simple reason it is longitudinal and not transverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Can this engine with the current gearbox combo , be remapped to say 180 BHP ? If yes then it would probably be worth considering.
Good thing about these cars are the easy access to tune up, issue is reliability then on.

Quote:
42 lakhs OTR.
So is it sounding like 'Alice in wonderland '. 😀
Remap for these cars and not a piggy back works. The real issue i think would be the fueling, already the car is rated for 95 Ron, how it will perform with our 91 Ron petrol is something we need to wait and watch. Now if we remap it for more power with 91 Ron it could be another challenge altogether.
Old 17th September 2016, 13:41   #78
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Avinash, so if this can be remapped to say 180 bhp once all the experts approve of it, so why spend probably another 7-10 lakhs on the 2L 180 bhp ?
42 lakhs OTR.
So is it sounding like 'Alice in wonderland '. ��
What about warranty? This is not an official Audi performance upgrade.

If you want to go down this route better to get the outgoing A4 preowned and remap that.

Already at end of warranty. Plus enough savings to take care of costs if something goes wrong plus they look quite similar. Only miss the LCD screen Instrumentation.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 15:21   #79
BHPian

Looks like Audi is particularly targeting the segment that uses luxury cars mainly for drives within the city. Probably chauffeured business executives. While the car is by no means a beast now, it definitely isn't underpowered. The power and torque this has been given, along with the DSG, would make it a pretty drivable package. It would be on the highways that you might find your 40 odd Lacs struggling for breath and prestige, though!

If they bring the 2.0L TDI to this machine, I think that would be a killer combination.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 01:11   #80
BHPian

Guys, some one else has mentioned this in earlier in the forum .. ''there is no replacement to displacement'' and i cant agree more.
even though the 1.4 l engine may be remapped to 180 bhp a stock 1.8 l 180 bhp engine will be much better to drive overall.
It is not just the max bhp of engine, other important parameters like cc, at what rpm the max power is reached, the rev limits of the engine contribute lot to the overall driving experience.
Given that Audi has launched just one variant, it is sad that it is the 1.4l engine that has been plonked in.

Last edited by nikhil_pon : 19th September 2016 at 01:12. Reason: spelling
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 21:12   #81
BANNED

Audi started the A4 in India with a plethora of engines - 1.8 TFSI, 2.0TFSI, 3.2 TFSI, 2.0TDI, 3.0TDI.

And now they only have a 1.4 TFSI ????

It's because they've understood the psyche of the typical Indian Audi customer which is: "ALL SHOW NO GO".

But this time I think they've stretched it too far.

As a sales guy in Audi quipped "I feel ashamed even talking about the A4".

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 29th September 2016 at 21:13.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 01:07   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

150 BHP FWD Audi

Yesterday, I had to drive to Mumbai and an A4 started tail-gating me and blinking/honking at me. There was traffic and potholes and speed breakers but this guy was impatient. Finally, after a speed-breaker, I stepped on gas just to get away and then move out of his way if possible but to my surprise, he was reduced to a small picture in my rear view mirror. I don't like to accelerate and brake and waste petrol when there are periodic speed breakers and red signals but this guy was really irritating so I had no choice. After a few min I got a chance to move out of the lane and let him pass just to confirm which A4 it was and it was 2.0 TDi. No wonder...:-) Every time I meet these posers, my love and respect for my Laura doubles. What a gem of a car this 1.8 TSi and at 1/3rd the price of this lame A4! I feel sorry for Audi...
anandpadhye is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 19:55   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Once VAG retires the 1.8 only the lucky few will be able to buy the 2.0 TSI (Superb, Octy VRS). Let us enjoy the mango class'es Q car while it lasts :-)
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 10:01   #84
BHPian

I test drove the A4 petrol around the Residency road here in Bangalore and it was such a let down. My first experience of an Audi left me asking if there is even a sense in the entry level lux space for sedans. The A3 petrol has only one variant which doesn't have half the goodies. The A4 petrol felt lesser fun than my CVT Micra within city. It seems if one is out hunting in the market for a entry level luxury sedan (read as <45L), there aren't too many options and I will seriously start looking at Volvos too.
What a downer...
Old 6th December 2016, 10:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
The A4 petrol felt lesser fun than my CVT Micra within city. It seems if one is out hunting in the market for a entry level luxury sedan (read as <45L), there aren't too many options.
What a downer...
Ha ha , I have been telling many of my known ones & Friends that Audi is neither here nor there. You too felt it now. If one is looking for FTD, Sporty Car he will choose BMW, no 2nd thoughts about that. While one seeking Luxury, Comfort & Sophistication will look at Mercedes Benz. I would rather save some money & look at Octavia 1.8/Superb or else get a 3 Series/C Class instead of this A4.
Old 6th December 2016, 13:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
I test drove the A4 petrol around the Residency road here in Bangalore and it was such a let down. My first experience of an Audi left me asking if there is even a sense in the entry level lux space for sedans. The A3 petrol has only one variant which doesn't have half the goodies. The A4 petrol felt lesser fun than my CVT Micra within city. It seems if one is out hunting in the market for a entry level luxury sedan (read as <45L), there aren't too many options and I will seriously start looking at Volvos too.
What a downer...
Feeling good that I took among the last remaining earlier A4 35 TDI
Old 7th February 2017, 10:30   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Overdrive India is the first to review the A4 Diesel.

http://overdrive.in/reviews/audi-a4-...-drive-review/

The newly re-worked engine seems to be a cracker with the 7 speed DSG transmission (DL501) that replaces the old lethargic CVT.

I wonder why they still call it as 35 TDI - should be 40TDI in my opinion, with a 0-100 time of less than 8 seconds.

Audi will have a nice hit on their hands if they price this one correctly.
Old 14th February 2017, 14:27   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi has launched the A4 Diesel at Rs. 40.2 Lakhs ex-Delhi. Seems to be competitively priced. Looks like there is only on top end variant on Diesel which gets the virtual cockpit as well.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-404066.aspx
Old 20th February 2017, 17:00   #89
BHPian

Actually the Diesel variant comes in Premium Plus for 40.2 lacs or so and top end Technology variant which is about 3 lacs more at appx. 43.5 (ex showroom). Premium Plus lacks Virtual cockpit, Navigation, Driver Memory seat etc. Same feature list as it is in the new 1.4 litre petrol A4.

New A4 diesel would have been a great deal if top end Technology variant would have been launched at 40.20 lacs. But in all probability after a few months I think it is most likely that the Technology variant would be available below 40 big ones. Lets see how GST, when implemented will alter pricing.
Old 27th March 2017, 00:41   #90
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just booked an Audi A4 35TDI Premium Plus (2017). While I found the TFSI to be adequately fast, did not want to spend 40+ big ones on a 1.4 litre engine (even my bike is a 900cc!), hence chose the TDI. Choice between Premium Plus and Tech was fairly easy since I did not find the add-ons (navi, virtual cockpit, slightly bigger screen and faux-wood inlays) worth spending ~5 lacs. Booked at Audi West (Mumbai), hoping for a delivery over the next 7-10 days.

Final choice made after extensive TDs of C220 Avantgarde (besotted with the panoramic sun roof at one point of time, but the car did scrape over a few bumps and priced higher), new X1 (excellent space, lacklustre interiors) and the new Endeavour (stunning car inside-out, but could not convince myself to sell 39 lacs on a Ford). 320d not considered due to bland interiors (drive is indeed phenomenal).

Jaguar XE was available at some hefty discount but not considered due to ASS problems. Same reason for not considering Skoda.

Things I really liked about the Audi A4 35 TDI
  • Stunning interiors, looks absolutely brilliant at night!
  • Good rear seat space / comfort. May not seat 5, but will seat 4 in luxury
  • High on safety with 8 airbags
  • Almost fully loaded (barring the differences I mentioned above). Would have preferred Apple Carplay, but can live without it.
  • Subtle yet elegant looks from all angles.

Things that could have been better:
  • Alloy wheels are pretty uninspiring (especially for the Tech edition)
  • Apple Car Play
  • Better speakers (perhaps as an optional accessory)

Eagerly waiting for the car delivery, will revert with an initial ownership review soon.

Cheers
Rohan
rohan.xj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks