Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2016, 19:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!

Happy to share My Ownership Report on my latest acquisition "TATA TIAGO".

Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072754627.jpg

Background and Buying Overview

I had a Maruti WagonR which was used in the past 5 years, it had covered 42540 kms since July 2011. Although the car didn't have any niggles/complaints there was a need to change it. As a true Maruti Product, it was reliable and was fairly appreciated by family members because of its main USPs
1. Tall Boy Design
2. Easy Entry/Exit
3. Refined Engine
4. Resale Value

Everyone used this car each weekends because of its easy to drive nature & excellent visibility.

I had given a thought to replace this car and the family agreed regarding the same. We don't usually keep cars for more then 4-5 years.

I had asked my friend to find buyers for it, and voila, 2 days later, I got 2 calls form different persons inquiring about the car. Asked them to come and see the car personally, post that they were keen on this car. Car was in top shape barring some scratches near fog lamps housing. I had initially thought these 2 persons to be different ones, but it turned out that they are siblings. After initial discussion, i quoted price of 3.80 lakhs.

After some time, the price was finalized and it was sold for 3.50 lakhs which is good price IMO.

After selling the WagonR, the hunt for new car begin.

Budget: (Rs.5 – 8 Lakhs)

> Priorities: Safety, Comfort, Ride Quality, Design, Fuel Efficiency)

> Monthly Running: ( Between 1,000 – 1,500 Kms)

> Fuel: (Diesel)

> Purpose: (Regular Use, City Commute)

> Type of Segment: (Hatchback)

After considering the above factors, i had short listed the following cars
(Most Expensive to Least Expensive)

1. Honda JAZZ
2. Volkswagen POLO
3. Maruti BALENO
4. Ford FIGO
5. Maruti SWIFT
6. Toyota ETIOS LIVA
7. Hyundai GRAND i10
8. Maruti CELERIO
9. Tata TIAGO

In 2 weeks i managed to see, feel, and drive all the cars listed above.

Here is my brief summary of all these cars.

1. HONDA JAZZ: This car had ticked most of the boxes & it is indeed an impressively packaged car. The exteriors were striking & unique (MPV shape), Interiors were well designed, Seats were again well shaped & supportive, Fit & Finish was good and the visibility all round was excellent. Family members liked the space on offer & the big well shaped boot. Test drove the diesel version & i was impressed by the drivability, it was very responsive & gearshifts were smooth. The engine was noisy when revved above 3200 rpm, but below that it was well damped. Ride quality also was impressive & the overall handling aspect was good. After test driving it for 5 kms, this was a strong contender.

2. Volkswagen POLO: Being a popular car, had selected it on basis of Build Quality, Punchy Diesel Engine, Good Dynamics. Went to the local dealer to check it and overall impressions were good, but the lack of tempting offers (was offered just 25k discount) and the fact that similar product (Skoda Rapid) was already with me made me to cancel this car. I could have considered AMEO but it wasn’t available with the Diesel Engine initially.

3. Maruti BALENO: This car easily was the top choice, because it is a good all rounder, Styling was good, interiors were nice, seats were well designed, both the petrol & diesel engines are good. It’s also well priced, what went against it was Waiting Period & Lower Variants feel similar to Swift in looks. I wasn’t ready to wait for 6 months the dealer quoted me.

4. Ford FIGO: An excellent car that isn’t selling well. The car does most things right, but I don’t know why it isn’t selling. Again this car ticked all the right boxes, The styling was decent, All Black interiors looked sporty, seats were decent, features were impressive. Asked for Test drive and drove the diesel version. It is wonderful to say the least, the diesel engine is very refined, responsive, lag free & it is very efficient. The MID displayed 23.8 kmpl when I was driving it. AC was very strong & Ride quality was simply outstanding. The steering felt a bit light, but it was responsive unlike dead feel of Hyundai’s. This one was short listed in final 3 cars.

5. Maruti SWIFT: Being a popular car on road, and having owned one before, i did not test drive it, instead i went to the local dealer and enquired. The car was readily available, i had decided on LDI/VDI in any colour barring white, I asked the Sales person the pricelist, the base LDI price was 7.48 lakhs. Never imagined Swift to be this expensive. We had one in 2007 for Rs. 5.60 lakhs in Top Spec VDI trim with ABS & EBD.

6. Toyota ETIOS LIVA: Despite being a good car, family disliked it for being too boxy & boring to look at. And the fact that it’s more popular as cabs, tilted the favour against it.

7. Hyundai GRAND i10 : Popular car with good design, interiors, and good petrol engine. But unimpressive Diesel Engine & High price was enough to cancel this one too.

8. Maruti CELERIO: Even though i wanted the diesel car, i had considered Celerio because of its AMT gearbox, after driving one, it felt more of a true replacement for WagonR, but it was feeling similar & pricing was again on the higher side.

9. Tata TIAGO: This was the most impressive product from Tata after the Indica in 1998. Being a Messi fan, i had set my eyes on this one when he was made the brand ambassador & when Tata sent teasers, it looked different. It was earlier known as ZICA and later changed to TIAGO. In MAY 2016, I had a thorough look of Tiago in and out and I was impressed by it. Test Drove both Petrol & Diesel. At that time we did not consider it, but it was a strong contender. It made it to our Top 3 car choice.

TOP 3 CHOICES

1. HONDA JAZZ
2. FORD FIGO
3. TATA TIAGO

These cars were selected because they ticked our requirements the most.

1. HONDA JAZZ: Went to the local dealer, having driven the car before, wanted to finalize on variant & colour choice & book one. After some thoughts, decided on S version which came with all the essentials required. Colour choice given was Carnelian Red/Golden Brown/Orange. The dealer offered immediate delivery of MY 2015 versions. I was offered 60k discount on MY 2015 & 40K on MY 2016, the final price came to 8.58 lakhs. I told them i would confirm the booking next day since it was already past 7pm. Went home & did some research & found the diesel version to be slightly more premium compared to other cars in the segment. Even though this is well packaged car, the price seemed a bit high. Petrol is decently priced, but i wanted Diesel hence had to strike out the Jazz from my top 3 list.

2. FORD FIGO: On Wednesday, 3rd August 20, reached the METRO FORD Dealership, was welcomed by a receptionist.

Writing down this Conversation as we had Good Experience at FORD & TATA Dealerships

Receptionist : Good Morning, Welcome Sir
Me : Good Morning
Receptionist : Sir, please have a seat, i will call our representative.
Me : Thank You

After 3 minutes, the Sales Representative(SR) came

SR : Hello Sir
Me : Hello
SR : Sir, tell me which car are you looking at ?
Me : I am interested in Figo
SR : Ok Sir, I will get brochure and price list
SR : Here is the price list sir of the New Ford Figo
Me : Ok, good
SR : Sir, are you looking for a Top Spec Verison ?
Me : No, if this was my primary car, i would have considered it but i will be using this for city drives.
SR : Fine Sir, So in Figo there are 5 variants (BASE/AMBIENTE/TREND/TITANIUM/TITANIUM+)
SR : There are 3 Engine Options (1.2 P/1.5 P AT/1.5 D), so are you looking at Petrol or Diesel Sir ?
Me : Diesel version
SR : Ok sir
Me : I want AC, Power Steering & Central Locking as standard features.
SR : Fine Sir, All the variants come with the features you are looking for, in addition Driver Airbag is standard across the range
Me : Good, Glanced over the pricing of Figo Diesel versions & the Base version was costing 6.85 lakhs while the Ambiente version was costing 7.16 lakhs On Road

After 5 minutes, had Coffee, then the SR asked me to check out the car.

SR : Sir, shall i arrange for Test Drive ?
Me : No
SR : Ok Sir
SR : Sir, this is the top spec Titanium+ version which comes with all the features.
Me : Do you have Ambiente Variant to see ?
SR : Yes sir, but its in our yard behind, would you like to see it sir
Me : Oh Yes Absolutely, thanks a lot
SR : Come Sir

After walking to the Yard, there were around 10 Figo's and 14 Aspire's and 22 Ecosport's and 4 Endeavour's.

The SR showed me Ambiente Versions in two colors - Moon Dust Silver & Oxford White
There was a Grey Trend variant, while rest of them were Titanium/Titanium+

After checking it inside & out, found Ambiente version decent enough.

Returned back to the lounge & started the conversation.

SR : Sir, are you satisfied with Ambiente Version ? Would you like to upgrade to Trend ?
Me : Ya, Ambiente is decent and I will finalize it
SR : Sir, which colour do you want ?
Me : Ruby Red/Deep Impact Blue/Tuxedo Black/Orange
SR : When do you want the car sir ?
Me : I want it as soon as possible
SR : Sir, sadly we don’t have Ambiente versions in you’re colour choice.
It will take 1 month.
Me : Oh No, 1 month is too far, then called Father & Younger Brother (Colour Chooser of the family) & asked them if Silver would be ok, both of them straightaway said no.
Confirmed the same to the SR
SR : Sir, we have Aspire in Black colour, do you want it ?
Me : Ok, Black would be good, which variant is it ?
SR : Sir, its a Titanium variant
Me : Checked the Pricing and it came to 9.60 lakhs which was above my budget.
Me : Ok, i will finalize the Figo, I will confirm you the colour tomorrow morning and i will send you the booking amount if it is finalized.
SR : No Problem Sir.

It was 12 pm and i left the showroom with some thoughts in my mind.

The FIGO Diesel is great, it is priced well, has discounts, but the dealer doesn’t have the colour of my choice & the waiting period quoted is 1 month.

After the seeing the FIGO @ METRO FORD, there was only 1 car left, that was the TIAGO. Since I was busy with some work, decided to postpone it to the next day

After reaching home, had a discussion and decided to check out Tiago & then Finalize between FIGO & TIAGO.

Next day, early morning read the Full review of TIAGO in the Official New Car Review Thread.
Great Effort by respective Moderators who were involved in this. Full Credit to you Guys.

After Reading the review, i was even more impressed by Tiago (Already was impressed, when i saw it 1st post launch)

As days past by, on Monday, August 8th 2016, headed out to the local Tata dealer MANICKBAG TATA to see the Tiago 2nd Time. This time i was accompanied by my Elder Brother.

We were welcomed again by Receptionist,

Receptionist : Welcome Sir, Good Evening
Me : Good Evening
Receptionist : Sir, please have a seat.

As soon as we sat, 2 Sales Representatives(SRs) came,

We clarified them that we 2 are same, one SR went back.

SR : Hello Sir,
Me : Hello,
SR : Sir, which car are you looking at ?
Me : I am looking at TIAGO
SR : Ok Sir
SR : Sir please wait, I will get a brochure & pricelist for you.
Me : Ok
SR : Sir, please come sir, have a look at the Tiago.
Me : Checked it inside & out, there were 2 colors on display (Sunburst Orange & Platinum Silver)
Me : Asked my Elder brother to sit in front, his height for reference is 6'3", I (5’11”) sat at the back
SR : Sir, this is the XZ variant and it comes with ABS, Airbags, Fog Lamps, Alloys, Harman Kardon 8 Speaker Audio, Parking Sensors......etc
Me : Ok, the XZ is feature packed (Behaved as if i don’t know other features & trims)
SR : Exactly sir,
SR : Sir, it has a boot space of 240L which is the biggest in its class
Me : Great

After 3-4 minutes, we had discussion on the Tiago's initial impressions

SR : Sir, Tiago is available with 1.2L REVOTRON Petrol Engine & a 1.05L REVOTORQ Diesel Engine.
Petrol has 85bhp & 110Nm torque & Diesel has 70 bhp & 140Nm Torque.
Me : Ok, Petrol has more power & Diesel has more torque (Obviously).

SR : So are you looking at Petrol or Diesel Sir ?
Me : Diesel
SR : Ok, Petrol is all new engine sir & many have booked Petrol version
Me : Yes Agree, but I am looking for Diesel since Tata & petrol don’t gel well for me
SR : Fine Sir
SR : So what version are you looking at sir ?
Me : I want AC, Power Steering, Central Locking, Power Windows.
SR : Sir, the XM variant has all the features you are looking for.
Me : Ok, what’s the price of it ?
SR : It costs 5.84 lakhs
Me : Is there option pack for it ?
SR : Yes sir, but it will take time as it is made on order.
Me : Ok, fine .

Had a chat with brother, he said its ok if Airbags aren’t there, since the car will be used with city limits. There is no need for Airbags for such purpose.

Me : Ok, then shall we finalize XM ?
Brother : Yes
Me : Checked the pricelist and there was XE version available for 5.34 lakhs. Shall we consider XE also ?
Brother : Checks out the features & compared XM with XE, the result was the following features missing from XE compared to XM
1. Central Locking
2. Remote Locking
3. Hub Caps
4. Rear Parcel Tray
5. Power Windows

The difference was 50k, thought about it for few minutes and then realized that all these features can be fitted aftermarket when required. Hence finalized XE.

Me : Ok, instead of XM, i want XE
SR : Ok sir, which colour are you looking at ?
Me : Striker Blue/Sunburst Orange.
Do you have Blue one to see ?
SR : Yes sir, its there in our stockyard, please come sir.
Me : Excellent
SR : Sir, it isn’t clean, but its a nice colour.
Me : Yes, blue is always a nice pleasing colour.
It stared to drizzle, hence headed back to showroom
SR : Sir, currently there is 45 days waiting for Petrol & 90 days for Diesel
Me : But I want the car immediately
SR : Sir, I will check if I have any cars on transit if you confirm me variant & color.
Me : Ok, I will take XE / XM in Striker Blue.
SR : Ok, sir.
Goes and checks the vehicles and comes back
SR : Sir, right now i cant tell you the status, i will call you in the morning to confirm the same.
Me : Ok, Thank You
SR : My Pleasure Sir
Me : What is the booking amount ?
SR : Sir, its 11k
Me : I will let you know.

Reached home and had a thorough 1 hour discussion, compared the Tiago XE with XM and also with FIGO.
Came to a conclusion that TIAGO is indeed cheaper and does most things right barring the engine which isn’t as good as Figo, but since it will be used in city, performance isn’t a bigger factor

Finally decided on TIAGO XE 1.05 REVOTORQ in STRIKER BLUE COLOUR

Next morning, on Tuesday, 9th August 2016, headed to the dealership and i went early @ 9.30 am. It was empty with with only few SRs present.

The same SR who had attended us previous day was there and he again attended us. He was curious, he asked what decision have you made, i answered with smile that i will be booking one.

The SR bought the Booking Form Book and noted down all the details and the booking was made by paying Rs.11000.

Post booking, was handed Booking receipt along with submission form.

The SR told me that he would confirm the status of my Tiago next morning.

On 10th August 2016 @ 11.45pm, he told me that the car is already in transit and will arrive midnight. I was excited hearing this.

On 11th August 2016, the car was inspected and post that it was sent for Registration & was promised that it would be delivered next day (12th August).

On Friday, 12th August 2016 the car was bought home.

Dealer Experience was good overall & they were friendly & helpful. Wish that the Service too will be this good.

The price Paid was

Ex-Showroom Price - Rs. 446811
Road Tax - Rs. 64399
Insurance (Outside) - Rs. 11250

ON ROAD PRICE - Rs. 522460

Did not opt for any accessories on delivery day.

Initial Ownership Impressions

EXTERIORS & DESIGN : The Tiago was 1st Big thing from Tata Motors after it introduced HORIZON NXT initiative.
Tata clearly realized that they need to step forward in every way to make their products desirable. Right from the Planners to Executors, they had their work cut out. The initial stage of this big change was felt when Tata unveiled the Zest in 2014. It was clearly a step forward from other Tata products.
After its unveil, Tata gave an impression that they know to make Decent looking cars. The Zest felt like it was designed from scratch to execute this feel. The Zest was indeed an impressive product with big drastic changes. The exteriors were more pleasing, the interiors felt more premium, Feature list was impressive with notable things being (Projector Headlamps, Alloy Wheels Standard across variants, Harman Infotainment System, etc to name a few).
It was also introduced with an 1st in Class 1.2L REVOTRON Engine with Turbo Charging. This was a big step forward, along with the 1.2 Petrol, Tata also offered the Nation Engine 1.3 MultiJet Diesel and to take an advantage, offered it with AMT gearbox sourced from Magneti Marelli. This combination was clearly absent on many cars and this resulted in buyers wanting Diesel+AT option to choose Zest by default. Apart from Engine & Gearbox, the Zest had the key USPs of most Tata cars like Very Good Suspension, Spacious Interiors, High Seating Position, etc.
These core values Tata was known for were retained and this made it an Attractive package, what was an icing on the cake was the VFM Pricing. It was priced very well. And the Zest became a decent seller.

TATA had announced that every new car they launch will be having new IMPACT DESIGN LANGUAGE. The Tiago aka ZICA codenamed KITE4 was the 1st car of such language. Ever since Tata developed prototype and started testing it, i knew that this would be the next big thing from Tata Motors after the Indica.
The KITE4 was spotted everywhere and the excitement grew, because it would be an All New Car following new Design Language. In December 2015, Tata Unveiled the ZICA which means "Zippy Car". The car was an All New Product, it didn't resemble other Tata's in any way. The Indica's Flat Sides, Christmas Tail Lamps, large plain designed windows had disappeared, the ZICA felt very different, it looked more Trendy, Stylish with Cuts & Creases, it looked more European. The exclusive design elements like the Honeycomb Grille finished in Gloss Black, Stretched back headlamps, Honeycomb design on front wind shield base, Aerodynamic flaps on rear wheel arch’s & spoiler all made it look refreshingly different. This big change had huge impact on buyers mind, this clearly made Tata taste 1st success.
This new car feel and impression helped Tata immensely to shed their Taxi image that most other Tata cars exhibit. ZICA has really impressed many due to its All New Design.

The TIAGO aka ZICA had its brands biggest drawback cleared. This is an impressive little car and the amount of work Tata has done is immense. I won’t talk much about the Exterior Design, since the Official Review has it covered.

I like the way the TIAGO Looks, the squat stance and the balanced side look along with thoughtfully designed rear makes it stand out unlike its rivals which look plain. The Build Quality is good with panels being sturdy and having heavy feel. Overall an Attractive Car.
My Rating 8/10

Make no mistake, this is the Best Designed Tata car in recent times, there are many more to come in near future.

INTRIORS : The Interior is very well designed. The Dashboard sits low and it is reminiscent of the Jaguar XE. The texture is very good and the cabin feels premium. Everything feels new here compared to other Tata's, barring some like Gearlever which reminds one of Zest/Bolt. The Door panels are ergonomically designed. Although the old-school lock is a bit boring and it could break any time with amount of usage. Even though mine is Base Variant (XE), the interiors don’t look that Basic. They have certain feel good factor to them. I am thankful that Tata has provided Full MID even on the base variant.
My Rating 9/10

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE : This was the biggest factor why i chose Diesel over Petrol. I had made up my mind to go for petrol initially, requested the dealer for Test Drive and the car arrived at my home in late afternoon. Took it for a drive and though the engine is refined, the performance didn't feel upto the mark. The engine was revving but couldn't gain speed. There was a bit of lag at low RPMs and this made me to change gears frequently. Then came the biggest disappointing thing, the gear lever was vibrating like hell, did not feel smooth and felt very unlike petrol. This seems to be a problem for Tiago. Then the vibrations were too much, they were felt everywhere (Seats/Clutch/Gear Lever) etc. After driving about 4 kms, i decided to abort the drive further. The Sales Representative was surprised, i had not spoken a thing until that moment, but post that i explained him the same. He asked should he call diesel version instead ? I asked for the same. We headed back to the showroom from Home and then after 15 minutes, the Diesel Tiago had arrived and was waiting for us. Without much delay, i switched over.

Started the diesel engine and there was the evident clatter, it was noisy outside but inside it was minimal. The Diesel engine impressed me from the word go. The gear wasn't vibrating and the shifts were smooth. There was no lag and the car lunged forward in typical diesel style. Accelerator input wasn't required, engine felt very revving and post 2500 rpm, there was the turbo surge. Below 2500 rpm, there was enough grunt to keep the car going. The car felt noisier when revving post 3000 rpm. Managed to drive up to 80kmph and the car felt adequately powerful. Better then Petrol in many ways. In 4th & 5th gear there was hardly any noise. After all this, i made up my mind to finalize diesel.
My Rating 7/10 for Diesel
5/10 for Petrol

RIDE & HANDLING : The Tiago does well here, its got that nice cushy ride which filters out bumps very well and the suspension works silently, My car has high profile tyres compared to Top End Variants. The car handles decently, there isn't much body roll and the steering is light but accurate. The tyres are narrow (155/80/R13) and wider tyres will aid grip, but i am not keen on that since the car will be used within city limits, for other purpose there are different cars. As an city car, the Tiago is a very good choice.
My Rating 8/10

COMFORT & FEATURES : The seats are well designed and well bolstered and they are comfortable. Headrest though are fixed and they will be useless in crash scenarios. Regarding features, there are only a handful of them in base version. I wanted AC & Power Steering, these 2 are present, apart from that, there are some useful features like Intermittent Wipers with Variable speed and a Full MID. For 5.2 lakhs, you cant expect much isn't it.
My Rating 8/10

Other Aspects of the car have been covered in Good Bits & Bad Bits below

GOOD BITS
  • Very Good & Effective AC (Many complained regarding the same initially, but it has been rectified now i guess)
  • Very good Headlights, they are effective even on low beams and the design is to be thanked here. I don’t miss fog lamps much.
  • Paint Quality is excellent, there aren't any defective sections and the gloss level is very high. I haven’t used any wax/polishes till now, neither has the car been detailed.
  • Fit & Finish is very good barring some panels like bonnet edge & front grille.
  • Bridgestone Tyres are very good and they are silent and are very supple. The car came with these tyres by default.
  • AC, Wiper & Headlight Controls are premium.
  • Smooth Gear shifts & feather light clutch
  • NVH - Very Impressive
  • Strong & Progressive Brakes even though there isn't ABS & EBD.

BAD BITS
  • No vanity mirror on either side
  • Wind-shield washer jet fails to spray sometimes
  • Poorly designed Wind-shield Washer Reservoir
  • Doors don’t shut properly if not closed with effort (Typical Tata)
  • Reverse gear sometimes doesn't engage even after trying repeatedly.
  • AC Vents are slightly poor in directing air flow.
Overall, the Tiago has been a Surprise package and it is indeed Fantastico.
It has looks to appeal, decent engines, good dynamics, good features, spacious cabin & boot, terrific Fuel economy to impress our 'Kitna Deti Hai" Indians & lastly, all this at a great price. I couldn't have asked for more.
Anyone looking for a small car in 4-6 lakh range, the Tiago is the Best Choice out there. It beats the Grand i10 in every department barring After Sales.

Thanks For Reading
Cheers

Last edited by CarguyNish : 14th October 2016 at 13:33.
CarguyNish is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 08:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!

Finally Here are the snaps of the Tiago XE.

EXTERIORS

Front View, Its a Fresh & Pleasing design
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-front-view.jpg

Here, the car looks wider then it actually is, headlights look big.
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072524628.jpg

Notice the strong shoulder line which gives it a character
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072531328.jpg

Different Angle
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072542018.jpg

Black Mirrors, Door Handles complement the black part of the Front Grille & Fog Lamp housing
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072552734.jpg

Side Profile, completely different & new for a Tata.
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072316830.jpg

Rear Quarter View, Notice the Aerodynamic Flaps.
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072328331.jpg

Another View
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072604167.jpg

Rear Profile, again very different & refreshing design compared to other Tata's (Indica, Vista, Bolt).
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072435784.jpg

Front Grille, New Design & Looks Upmarket, though its a nightmare to keep the holes clean
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072652353.jpg

Aerodynamic Flaps, Good in design but prone to scratches due to Glossy Finish
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072615271.jpg

Nice design touch to an otherwise dull & plain panel
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072627855.jpg

Well Shaped Headlights offer good light spread.
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072636909.jpg

Tail Lamp Design new for a Tata, but looks similar to Figo, Grand i10.
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072451329.jpg

Last edited by CarguyNish : 14th October 2016 at 13:25.
CarguyNish is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 08:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

INTERIORS

Nice Looking, High Quality Dashboard, Reminiscent of Jaguar XE
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072900090.jpg

Centre Console, It is plain and no there wont be an ICE there
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_073027250.jpg

Nice Steering Wheel is compact & Grip is good, Silver Accents lift the look.
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161012_165501114.jpg

Yup, Manual Windows
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161012_165511811.jpg

Door Pockets are small & only a 500ml Bottle can fit there
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161012_165607867.jpg

No Vanity Mirrors on either side, Better Half will definitely complain, thankfully I don't have one yet
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161012_165631686.jpg

Simple & Effective Manual AC Controls, notice they are finished in Chrome. Neat.
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161012_171030566.jpg

Door Handle is sturdy & is finished in Black, Top variants have them in Chrome
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161012_170958826.jpg

Front Seats are supportive & accommodating, Headrests are fixed ones on Regular Variants while Optional Variants come with Adjustable One's
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072959305.jpg

Rear seats are Comfortable & Spacious, The Seat Back is nicely angled and the seat is wide
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-img_20161013_072843674.jpg

INSTRUMENT PANEL/CONSOLE

Simple & Functional Instrument Console. A Rare car with Tachometer even on the Base Variant
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20161013_07_33_58_pro1.jpg

Digital Clock
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20161013_07_33_40_pro1.jpg

DTE (Distance To Empty)
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20161013_07_33_33_pro1.jpg

Trip Meter A & Average Fuel Efficiency Reading
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20161013_07_33_22_pro1.jpg

Trip Meter B & Average Fuel Efficiency Reading
Indeed 'Fantastico' - My Tata Tiago Revotorq Diesel. EDIT: Sold!-wp_20161013_07_33_27_pro__copy1.jpg

VERDICT - The Tata Tiago is a Wonderful Attempt by Tata Motors to revive its Brand Image, the Tiago feels so good & it pleases a Private Buyer like us. Compared to other Tata's which feel too cab like, this feels like a Proper Family Hatch. All the New Design Elements help significantly here.

For a Buyer who wants a Small, Light City Runabout, Tiago makes Perfect Sense. What's more, it has very few negatives & the icing on the cake is the VFM Pricing. This is enough to entice buyers towards Tiago of this price range. Yes, there are quite a few good cars in this range (Celerio, Grand i10 etc) but they don't offer as much Bang for the Buck as Tiago does.

The Celerio is a Good car, it has good petrol engine, AMT Option, Easy Entry & Exit, Excellent After Sales to name a few. Now coming to its negatives, its Design is nothing to write home about, the Diesel Engine is pretty ordinary to say the least (Why the hell did they develop so poor engine ?), Above all, it is significantly more expensive then Tiago.

The Grand i10 is another Good Hatch, it too has an Excellent Petrol Engine, Good Interiors, Features, Decently Spacious, but when you consider other factors like Diesel Engine, Fuel Efficiency, High Service Costs, Average Dynamics, Lifeless Steering, High Price, the list goes on continuing. Apart from the Aftersales Service & Good Interiors, I don't think the Grand i10 is worth its Asking Price.

That leaves us with the Tiago, which does most of the things right, yes there are some negatives here too like the Aftersales which isn't the best & Long-term Ownership, but these are expected to improve. But as a product, there is nothing that comes close to Tiago at such a Great Price.

Kudos to Tata for this FANTASTIC Attempt & Great Effort

Last edited by CarguyNish : 14th October 2016 at 13:22.
CarguyNish is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 13:51   #4
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 14:24   #5
BHPian

Congratulations carguyNish. The Tiago looks very cute in blue. Definitely the best in its class. Drive safe and happy motoring.
Enobarbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 14:42   #6
BHPian

Congrats! Tiago is a good attempt from Tata and it has laid the platform for the future products to be successful too! I wish Tata looks at the service related issues seriously and make a pleasant experience to all owners! Happy and Safe driving too!
Ananthc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 15:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition Wishing you a very happy and trouble free ownership. BTW thats a fantastic shade and the Tiago looks chic in blue

Quote:
Budget: (Rs.5 – 8 Lakhs)

ON ROAD PRICE - Rs. 522460
This is the first time I've seen someone sticking to the lower limit of the decided budget. Kudos . Usually one is almost always tempted to breach the upper limit.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 14th October 2016 at 15:31.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 15:58   #8
BHPian

Congratulation on Tiago!

Quote:
After walking to the Yard, there were around 10 Figo's and 14 Aspire's and 22 Ecosport's and 4 Endeavour's.
You really counted that!

Quote:
Me : Checked the pricelist and there was XE version available for 5.34 lakhs. Shall we consider XE also ?
Brother : Checks out the features & compared XM with XE, the result was the following features missing from XE compared to XM
1. Central Locking
2. Remote Locking
3. Hub Caps
4. Rear Parcel Tray
5. Power Windows

The difference was 50k, thought about it for few minutes and then realized that all these features can be fitted aftermarket when required. Hence finalized XE.
for selecting base variant! I feel XE offer more bang for the buck. I love that clean dashboard! Black door handles are looking fabulous. It breaks monotony of color easily.
zalaps is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 16:01   #9
BHPian

The first Tiago review on the forum. Congratulations.
The color suits the car very well.
What mileage are you getting in stop-go city traffic?
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 16:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Congratulations carguyNish. The Tiago looks very cute in blue. Definitely the best in its class. Drive safe and happy motoring.
Thank You Enobarbus. Yes, blue looks cute & the colour itself is a head turner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthc View Post
Congrats! Tiago is a good attempt from Tata and it has laid the platform for the future products to be successful too! I wish Tata looks at the service related issues seriously and make a pleasant experience to all owners! Happy and Safe driving too!
Thank You Ananthc, Yes, I am expecting Tata to provide good experience when it comes to after sales. Will wait & watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition Wishing you a very happy and trouble free ownership. BTW thats a fantastic shade and the Tiago looks chic in blue.

Thank You Karthik Chandra, After seeing Blue, other colors didn't impress as much as this one. It looks even better in real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
This is the first time I've seen someone sticking to the lower limit of the decided budget. Kudos . Usually one is almost always tempted to breach the upper limit.
Since the car would be used primarily in the city, the aim was simple, try & get a VFM Car & Variant. These 2 were the biggest factors why I bought Tiago, there were many choices but they couldn't tick these 2 requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Congratulation on Tiago!
You really counted that!

for selecting base variant! I feel XE offer more bang for the buck. I love that clean dashboard! Black door handles are looking fabulous. It breaks monotony of color easily.
Thank You Zalaps. Had to see if there are any Figo's of my colour & variant choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The first Tiago review on the forum. Congratulations.
The color suits the car very well.
What mileage are you getting in stop-go city traffic?
Thank You Nissan 1180
I am getting 15 kmpl in dense traffic. Will be posting detailed Fuel Efficiency Report Later.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 17:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Excellent choice of colour. Kudos to Tata for providing rich colours, full MID etc. in lower trims.

Coming from a Wagon-R, which I am assuming was the 'Blue-eyed boy' model since you said it was a 2011 car, how does the Tiago compare to the Wagon-R? Will be invaluable to get your perspective on that
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 17:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for starting a thread
Would be very interesting to know about Tiago in long run.
After Sunburst orange, this is one of the standout color in Tiago IMO.

Does this variant come with ECO mode? or its just a dummy button?

Tiago is surely a striking product from TATA. I had booked Baleno and was waiting for it to deliver, when I visited Concorde for some work regarding my Nano. While Nano was getting attended, I visited showroom to have a look at Tiago.

I was so impressed , that I took my wife next day to have a look and decide between this and Baleno.

I would have bought Kite if it was on sale at that time, since we needed a bigger boot. Being a TATA car , I had soft corner for Tiago and Zest.

Ultimately, we decided to stick to Baleno, but I was almost sold on Tiago.
One of my neighbour just got a XM Tiago in red colour, and I have been drooling over it ever since.

Tiago is the image makeover car for TATA, so an important one.
Hence assume TATA might not be making much profit in it, which is why this is so VFM.

Last edited by silverado : 14th October 2016 at 17:43.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 18:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations CarguyNish on the new car. Looks fresh and fantastic in blue colour. Sure Tata cars have come a long way from Indica days.
Wishing you Happy and Safe ownership.

Quote:
Had a chat with brother, he said its ok if Airbags aren’t there, since the car will be used with city limits. There is no need for Airbags for such purpose.
Its a misconception that airbags are not required within city limits.
Any untoward incident even at lower city speed can have adverse effect and hence, whenever there is option of airbags and ABS, we should opt for the same.
Price difference of 30-40k in terms of a 5 year EMI is negligible amount. Similar sentiments have been echoed by other seniors on various threads.

Now, coming to the important point - Your location - Hubli. My native place is Hubli as well. Bhavani nagar, Keshvapur, Deshpande nagar, cotton market are places where my folks reside.
Hopefully we will meetup in Dec and check out your car.

Last edited by arunu : 14th October 2016 at 18:59.
arunu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 19:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
Congratulations CarguyNish on the new car. Looks fresh and fantastic in blue colour. Sure Tata cars have come a long way from Indica days.
Wishing you Happy and Safe ownership.

Its a misconception that airbags are not required within city limits.
Any untoward incident even at lower city speed can have adverse effect and hence, whenever there is option of airbags and ABS, we should opt for the same.
Price difference of 30-40k in terms of a 5 year EMI is negligible amount. Similar sentiments have been echoed by other seniors on various threads.

Now, coming to the important point - Your location - Hubli. My native place is Hubli as well. Bhavani nagar, Keshvapur, Deshpande nagar, cotton market are places where my folks reside.
Hopefully we will meetup in Dec and check out your car.
Thanks Arun,

Airbags were available only in Option Pack, but those versions were Made on Order, dealer quoted 3 months waiting for the same. I wanted the car quickly, hence decided on Non Airbags version.

The dense traffic doesn't allow one to drive over 40 kmph here. So in a sense, you are at lower speed inside city so, airbags were given a miss, but all our other cars have Airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Thanks for starting a thread
Would be very interesting to know about Tiago in long run.
After Sunburst orange, this is one of the standout color in Tiago IMO.

Does this variant come with ECO mode? or its just a dummy button?

Tiago is surely a striking product from TATA. I had booked Baleno and was waiting for it to deliver, when I visited Concorde for some work regarding my Nano. While Nano was getting attended, I visited showroom to have a look at Tiago.

I was so impressed , that I took my wife next day to have a look and decide between this and Baleno.

Ultimately, we decided to stick to Baleno, but I was almost sold on Tiago.
One of my neighbour just got a XM Tiago in red colour, and I have been drooling over it ever since.

Tiago is the image makeover car for TATA, so an important one.
Hence assume TATA might not be making much profit in it, which is why this is so VFM.
Thanks Silverado,
The ECO button is actually functional, it does help in increasing FE a bit, though I use it rarely.

Yes Tiago is an drool worthy package.
Berry Red is equally impressive too. Congratulations on You're Baleno, I also had considered it, but the sheer waiting period made me to strike it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Congratulations. Excellent choice of colour. Kudos to Tata for providing rich colours, full MID etc. in lower trims.

Coming from a Wagon-R, which I am assuming was the 'Blue-eyed boy' model since you said it was a 2011 car, how does the Tiago compare to the Wagon-R? Will be invaluable to get your perspective on that
Thank You TheARUN,
Yes, I had the Blue Eyed Boy WagonR, it was a decent package. Compared to WagonR, the Tiago feels more premium, dynamics are also better. Apart from that they feel similar. Though, Maruti has clear edge when it comes to Aftersales & I had a good experience. Lets hope, Tata will be the same.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 20:30   #15
BHPian

Congrats CarguyNish on your Striker Blue Tiago, this is definitely one of the best colours on cars today. Very striking.

Wishing you many many miles of happiness.

Cheers
Uday
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks