Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2016, 13:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - Tata Tiago XZ Petrol

Response to points given below:

1. I felt the car to be underpowered compared to the competitive cars(Hyundai-grand i10, Suzuki- celerio)
2. The feature list is on par with the price tag of the vehicle
3. The audio system and quality of sound is very good
4. I found the NVH levels and sealing not upto the mark
5. The ride quality is smooth and takes up pot holes very well
6. I feel the brakes lack bite (may be due to the test drive car)
Are these issues observed by other too?

1. Yes it is underpowered if you look at acceleration. However, the Celerio is around 840 kg weight and i10 is 935 Kg against the 1014 kg of the Tiago. Depends on what you want - durability or acceleration or a combination that suits you.

2. The Celerio with similar feature list the ZXi (O) manual is Rs 5.1 lacs against the Tiago XZ which is Rs 4.72 lacs. On the plus side you definitely get a more durable car in the Tiago. In the case of the i10 Grand it is a no-show as the price of a similarly fitted car is Rs 5.7 lacs. The tyres of i10 are 165 / 65 R14 and those of Celerio-165/70R14. The Tiago Revotron XZ has 175/65R14 which are bigger.

3. I haven't fully tested the brakes nor do I have experience of the Celerio or i10 Grand to compare. However, so far they seem quite adequate.

4. NVH and sealing might have been a problem in the test car but I have not faced any problem. Admittedly beyond 2500 rpm the engine is more audible but as I have mentioned the music system takes care of the sound.
ashokabs is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 17:07   #17
BHPian

Thank you for a great, in-depth ownership review. Glad to see one for the Tiago!

Just an aside - I don't think it right to make a statement like this.. I've seen plenty of male drivers scrape not only alloy wheels, but all parts of their cars in the most confounding ways! We're auto enthusiasts and we should know better than to make such statements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
I find that when ladies drive the car they sometimes get the alloy wheels scuffed against the pavement berms.
shaggydogg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 20:21   #18
BHPian

What a brilliant review of what appears to be a brilliantly packaged car!!

My friend wanted to purchase the Celerio [he's not an auto enthusiast by the way!]. I told him about the Tiago. He was not too enthused about the car as it was from "TATA".

So, what I did was this : Took him in the Celerio first for a test drive and then took him to the TATA showroom.. He was pleasantly surprised by the look and feel of the Tiago!

He was sold on it after we took the Test drive! The upmarket feel of the interiors and the Harman music system along with the easy handling of the car did the trick!

The TATA staff assured him that their A.S.S has improved a lot and that they will ensure a hassle free ownership!

Well, today he's a very proud owner of the Tiago [Petrol] and he's very thankful to me for introducing his first car, the Tiago, to him I'm glad for him too!!
WAM-4 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 15:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Beautifully put down review of a very good car! Congrats on the blue striker! I am also in the same situation currently. I too own an older City (2002), another GXi (2006, which has done 1,11,000 kms) and a Micra. Maybe next year we might think of replacing one the City's so Tiago could be in the list.

It's nice to see that Tata have really taken pains to come out with a good product. Wish you many happy kilometers with your new Tiago. Enjoy!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2016, 15:53   #20

Congratulations on new your new car, Very nicely written review and choice of colors, indeed it's a very good product from TATA, finally they are coming back to the game. I am in search for new car and right now Tiago is on top of my list.
mazda3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 15:18   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on the New Tiago. I myself am waiting for the Tiago Sport to be launched and that will probably replace my Fiesta. Waiting and watching for now.

PS: Beautiful choice of colour.
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 18:03   #22
BHPian

That is an amazing and in-depth review of a great product. The way you have explained even the minutest details shows the attention to detail and your keen sense of observation.
The initial impressions of the Tiago were already very good and its great to know that the product did not disappoint.
I am looking for a replacement to my ageing Chevy Spark and I have already zeroed in on TATA Tiago.
I am yet to take a TD but looking at the confidence you have shown in it, my expectations are already high. I am sure I wont be disappointed.
The color of your Tiago is extremely cool.
Wishing you many miles of trouble free and enjoyable driving.
Ritesh_Dogar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 17:52   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Prabhagar for sharing the following answers to your queries:

Quote:
I still haven't worked out how to get the text messages read out!
Tiago's Harman system does not support text message read out feature.

Quote:
My only worry is the ORVMs which can fold, but not move in the opposite direction towards the engine
ORVMs do flip forward towards the engine (mentioned in Team-BHP's official review as well).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 23:01   #24
BHPian

Yes text messages are not read out in the Tiago infotainment system. It does so in the Zest.

Yes the OVRM does bend backwards about an arc of 3 inches at the outer end which may not be enough to prevent it getting broken especially if hit by a car moving in the same direction. Happened to a Swift driving next to me which came close and my car's OVRM left the other car's OVRM broken and dangling.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 23:26   #25
BHPian

A short update after the car has run 1000 km.

The mileage I got in the last full tank to tank fill up was 17.5 km/litre against 18.3 on the MID.

The 1st and 2nd gear ratios are close and geared for torque. The gear which provides flexibility and grunt is 3rd gear which is good for pottering in the city.

The ECO setting works well for economy and is useable in 3rd and 4th gear on expressways or where the car is moving at the speed limit and there is not much overtaking. In overdrive it makes the car response too sluggish and is not comfortable.

The black carpets pick up and show dust very quickly. Maybe rubber mats are more practical.

In first gear one need not press the throttle when moving from standstill. The idle speed is enough to start the car moving before one accelerates. If one presses the accelerator when moving from stationery position the car judders.

The view in the IRVM is narrow owing to the rear hatch window being narrow in width. A bit disconcerting as the rear view is restricted.

Last edited by ashokabs : 19th November 2016 at 23:27.
ashokabs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 18:48   #26
BHPian

I sent the car for its first free service at 1820 km. I used the TMSC app from my Android phone. I used it for getting an appointment as well as listing out some of the minor problems:
1. Left front door did not shut easily - would remain partly open at times.
2. Slight noise from under the dashboard on very bumpy roads.

Got an acknowledgement from the Service Agent "Pahwa Motors' located near my office in Okhla and a time as well as a pickup and drop of the car. All went smoothly and the data relating to the service was entered into the TMSC app. Seems to be a good idea.

The washing and cleaning was mostly okay except some smudges on the bottom part of the windscreen and the driver side wing mirror. No other comments. I did get a call from the service centre asking me to give a 9 or 10 for the service. I declined and said I would not share my rating feedback until I had given it to Tata Motors.

I have got a fairly steady 16-16.5 km/litre. However, the reading on the MID was 18.5 so not sure about the accuracy of the computation. In my Honda's I was getting a difference of 1.5 to 2.0 - the MID was showing higher than actual. I will have to flag this with Tata's as they can tweak the integration algorithm to be more accurate.
ashokabs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 09:22   #27
BHPian

Were the problems you reported solved to your satisfaction?

Some people have reported problems with dirt entering the fuel filler space. Tata is offering a replacement filler pipe to solve this problem. Did your car come with the new filler pipe?

There are also reports of software updates to the ECU. Was anything done on your car? If so, have you noticed any difference?
Old 29th December 2016, 21:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Were the problems you reported solved to your satisfaction?

Some people have reported problems with dirt entering the fuel filler space. Tata is offering a replacement filler pipe to solve this problem. Did your car come with the new filler pipe?

There are also reports of software updates to the ECU. Was anything done on your car? If so, have you noticed any difference?
Yes the problems were resolved. I have seen some dirt on lifting the flap for the petrol filler area. However, haven't faced any problem yet. The software update for reducing the vibration of the engine and noise is installed in the cars post July 2016 I think. I bought in Oct 2016 and had no problem needing an ECU update.
Old 6th April 2017, 21:43   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
I have got a fairly steady 16-16.5 km/litre. However, the reading on the MID was 18.5 so not sure about the accuracy of the computation.
Can you please comment on the sustained mileage figures (kpl) that your Tiago gives you ? Planning to upgrade our Nano to a Tiago or Celerio ZXi (O).

From your review, I gather that the Tiago is definately a better bet, although I myself am a 3 time TATA car owner. Please advise.
Old 8th April 2017, 15:54   #30
BHPian

One of the highly readable reviews !! Very detailed, to the point and tells the reader about all aspects of the vehicle without beating around the bush. Congratulations on buying the vehicle and wishing you miles of smiles!!
aaren is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks