Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2017, 13:14   #31
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - Tata Tiago XZ Petrol

ashokabs,

How is the performance post run-in? Is there any improvement in the low end or high end? Has the engine oil been changed? I'd expect more changes after the first oil change.
Did you get a chance to take it out on expressways yet?

Do let us know how your wife finds it too. It'd be good to hear more perspectives on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
The engine is new and so I have been going easy running it in by not exceeding 2500 rpm in any gear. This corresponds to 20-40-60-80 km/hr in first, second, third and fourth gears. The car is reasonably responsive to the throttle for a new car. Once the engine is around 2000 rpm or over there is reasonable responsiveness from the engine. I am used to this as the Honda ivtech is quite similar in third and fourth gears. In second gear in particular there is a feeling of sluggishness which comes in one or two waves. This might be a problem with the ECU tuning but needs to be observed further. Let's be clear it is a 1200 cc engine in a heavier than normal car and does I understand 1-100km in 16 seconds so it would be silly to expect it to blast away the competition in acceleration. Once it has done around 1000 km I will do a thorough test and update this report.
However, I will get a proper feedback from her after the first service is over and she has had time to assess it so I can report it in the thread.
Old 18th April 2017, 16:21   #32
BHPian

The car drives well without the AC. With the AC on it is a bit laboured and I think the mileage does take a fair hit. However, I haven't yet done the 2nd free service so no oil change but I think the air filter is choked and so might be one of the reasons for poor mileage. Will know tomorrow after 2nd service. My daughter loves it as she is very fond of music and can connect her ipod touch and play all the stuff she wants. She likes the convenience of small size and being able to zip in and out of traffic. Hasn't complained about the acceleration though the other cars I have are 3rd and 4th generation Honda Citys. I have taken it on the DND where it has no problem keeping up with other cars. I have accelerated upto 100 kmph without any problem. The engine is very free revving so getting upto 4000-4500 rpm is often reached. Gear ratios more for economy so overtaking possible mainly in 3rd gear only.
ashokabs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 22:38   #33
BHPian

I am getting around 14.8 km/l on the ODO with AC on all the time and in bad traffic in Delhi. Average speed is around 15 km/hr. I will be checking by the tank fill method tomorrow and will give the comparison. I suspect it should be around 13.5 to 14.0 km/ltr. In winter with no AC it was around 15.5 km/ltr. Of course a lot depends on the way you drive. I get the best mileage by keeping the revs up a bit around 2000 and changing into 4th or 5th gear at the earliest.
ashokabs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 17:58   #34
BHPian

I have a July 2016 Petrol XZ and my "tunni tiago" - a nickname we have for it, does about 20kms daily in heavy traffic (like crawling speeds of 10-15kmph for 3-5 kms) in Gurgaon. My fuel mileage ranges from 11.5-12.3kmpl. I'm not sure if for everyone it's that bad. Chatting with other Tiago owners, they get around 15-17kmpl. I have never had that, in fact the most I've seen is 12.8kmpl in my tunni.

Pros:
1. AWESOME music system, nothing comes close even in two segments higher
2. Suspension - copes beautifully with pot filled Indian roads
3. Highway manners - very stable even in three digit speeds, we did a 600+ kms drive from Lucknow - Gwalior - Gurgaon via the newly constructed Lucknow-Agra expressway and Tiago was happy and stable at 110+kmph speeds with three folks inside.

Cons:
1. 3-cylinder motor IS in fact a bit noisy when the air-con and music system is off. Noise isn't as bad as that of 3-cylinder motor of VW Polo but not far behind.
2. not very fuel efficient compared to other small cars
3. NVH levels can be better - comparing it with Grand i10 (Celerio is bad!)
djay434 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 11:22   #35
BHPian

Yes, in very bad bumper to bumper traffic you can get low fuel efficiency. Try running it in ECO mode during this period as you don't need to accelerate in such slow traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
I have a July 2016 Petrol XZ and my "tunni tiago" - a nickname we have for it, does about 20kms daily in heavy traffic (like crawling speeds of 10-15kmph for 3-5 kms) in Gurgaon. My fuel mileage ranges from 11.5-12.3kmpl. I'm not sure if for everyone it's that bad. Chatting with other Tiago owners, they get around 15-17kmpl. I have never had that, in fact the most I've seen is 12.8kmpl in my tunni.

Pros:
1. AWESOME music system, nothing comes close even in two segments higher
2. Suspension - copes beautifully with pot filled Indian roads
3. Highway manners - very stable even in three digit speeds, we did a 600+ kms drive from Lucknow - Gwalior - Gurgaon via the newly constructed Lucknow-Agra expressway and Tiago was happy and stable at 110+kmph speeds with three folks inside.

Cons:
1. 3-cylinder motor IS in fact a bit noisy when the air-con and music system is off. Noise isn't as bad as that of 3-cylinder motor of VW Polo but not far behind.
2. not very fuel efficient compared to other small cars
3. NVH levels can be better - comparing it with Grand i10 (Celerio is bad!)
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 13:18   #36
BHPian

Congratulations Asholabs for your new car!

Right now I want to upgrade from my WagonR and zeroing in on Tata Tigor petrol. However there are no ownership reviews for Tigor, and Tiago is the best closest.

Negatives which are highlighted in this review are:
- NVH levels
- underpowered engine

Want to know, how serious is underpowered engine issue, as I want to buy Tigor petrol.
Old 27th September 2017, 16:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio118 View Post

Right now I want to upgrade from my WagonR and zeroing in on Tata Tigor petrol. However there are no ownership reviews for Tigor, and Tiago is the best closest.

- NVH levels
- underpowered engine

Want to know, how serious is underpowered engine issue, as I want to buy Tigor petrol.
You won't feel is underpowered in the city but you might feel it on the highway with passengers and luggage.

The NVH is more than acceptable, especially with the windows closed.

Best to take a long test drive and judge for yourself.
Old 1st November 2017, 10:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio118 View Post

- NVH levels
- underpowered engine

Sorry I did not see this earlier. If you still haven't replaced your WagonR I am giving my feedback based on 13 months of use and 8500 km.

The NVH levels of the petrol version are not a problem with the windows rolled up and certainly no problem once you have some music/radio working. The engine is not really underpowered. It is the characteristics of the engine and gearbox chosen by TATA Motors to give better mileage which create the feeling of "underpowered". If you keep the revs above 2500 there is plenty of power on tap. At lower rpm especially in 3rd and 4th gears there is not enough torque and the car can struggle especially with the AC on. If I remember correctly the 4th gear is already less than 1:1 ratio and more like overdrive.

More gear changing is essential in traffic to get the best out of the car.
Old 12th December 2017, 21:08   #39
BHPian

My car is now 14 months old and has clocked 9200 km. Five days ago I was driving along the BRTS in Delhi and suddenly the engine died and went to idling speed. The car of course slowed down and I took action to bring it to a safe halt. It was indicating engine malfunction yellow light on the dashboard. Any amount of fiddling with the accelerator did not have any effect and it continued at idling speed. I put it in 2nd gear and drove it to park at a safe place about 150 yards away. Thereafter, I called the customer service number and though the person was very polite and helpful by the time he registered my complaint and got me connected to the breakdown service for the location it was almost 30 minutes. Maybe they don't have adequate numbers of people manning the service. The towing service turned up in 25 mins and towed the car to the nearest service workshop Pahwa Auto in Okhla Phase 1. i handed over the car and took an Uber home. I could have asked them to send me a cab as I understand that they will drop you to your destination. My house is only 4 km and I felt it would take a long time so skipped using the free service. Next day I got a call from the service centre and they said that they would keep me updated. Later in the day I was told to come and collect the car as it was rectified.

On reaching the workshop and talking to the service agent I was told it was carbon in the throttle body which was preventing the throttle from moving. This sounded strange to me as why should there be so much carbon deposit. Of course in Delhi dust and carbon gets through the air filter and will gradually coat the cooler areas of the intake system. However, this should not be sufficient to prevent movement of the throttle. Anyway my mistake as I should have been more sceptical and dug deeper.

Next day in the morning after a 13 km drive to Noida from my house in South Delhi the car exhibited the same problem. I was very annoyed. I rang up the breakdown service again and it was connected in 15 minutes against the 30 minutes the last time and the van came in 45 mins. The car was towed to Sagar Motors in Noida. I wanted it towed to a workshop nearer my house but the towing company said that they would have to shell out a green tax of Rs 1500 to go to Delhi which I would pay so I agreed to Noida.

Next evening I was told that the fault is rectified and I should come and collect it. This time I was more wary and said please explain the fault so that I can be confident that it is not going to exhibit the same behaviour again. Also, I was worried that if it happened to my wife she would either divorce me or tell me to sell the car pronto!!! The service advisor told me that they suspected the software was corrupted so they loaded fresh software and it was working perfectly. This sounded more probable.

Now some of the fun started. I was asked to come to Noida to collect the car. I said no way. It should be delivered. The guy at Sagar Auto said no way do we deliver cars come and get it. I then sent spoke to the help desk and of course as they are only an agency they didn't have the authority. I then send an email to customercare@tatamotors.com detailing my travails. I got a response to contact their Customer Support Manager at Gurgaon. I rang him up next day at around 10 am and he said he would tell Sagar Motors to send someone to deliver the car. At around 1 pm I got a call from my wife that the car has been delivered.

At around 3.30 pm we had to go out again so we got into the car and lo and behold - the same problem with the throttle. This time I sent a message expressing my disappointment with the poor resolution of the problem. I also called up the CSM who said that he is looking into it. However, I did not get a response from him next morning so at around 10 am I sent an SMS and email that what should I do next. He sent me an SMS asking me to contact some Mr Lalit with a phone number. It turned out that this guy was from Noida area so he was unable to take any action. He in turn spoke to the CSM and I got the number of another guy from Pahwa Motors. I explained the problem and that I was unable to drive the car with no acceleration possible. He sent a mechanic and helper who came with a laptop and dongle to attach to the onboard computer. I think they either reloaded the software of did some purging and managed to get the throttle working to take the car to the workshop. He said that the problem was in the throttle and they had to isolate which part exactly to change. Around 4 pm he called to say that he would keep the car overnight as they were working to identify the exact problem so the part(s) could be ordered and changed. I am still waiting for the diagnosis.

Hope this helps someone else with a Tiago or other Tata vehicle to deal with emergency towing, cab rides and escalating the problem higher up to get a resolution.
Old 12th December 2017, 21:36   #40

Quote:
My car is now 14 months old and has clocked 9200 km.
Tiago is indeed a good car. The problem what you have stated is related with the throttle body. since its a new car throttle body getting stuck is not the right diagnostic. As stated, the car is starting normally without erratic idling but no acceleration to your inputs, might be the ECU is not getting the input from the throttle body. Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) might have to be checked. If is not a daily driver, check for any rat bite thoroughly. I too own a diesel XM variant for exactly 14 months and driven 21k kms, except for battery drain issue I didn't face any issue.

Last edited by bblost : 12th December 2017 at 21:42. Reason: Please do not quote a complete large post.
Old 12th December 2017, 21:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramani View Post
Tiago is indeed a good car. The problem what you have stated is related with the throttle body. since its a new car throttle body getting stuck is not the right diagnostic. As stated, the car is starting normally without erratic idling but no acceleration to your inputs, might be the ECU is not getting the input from the throttle body. Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) might have to be checked. If is not a daily driver, check for any rat bite thoroughly. I too own a diesel XM variant for exactly 14 months and driven 21k kms, except for battery drain issue I didn't face any issue.
I too suspect that the problem is either with the sensor or throttle positioner. Will update when I get a firm resolution. Other than that no mechanical problem at all.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 00:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I too suspect that the problem is either with the sensor or throttle positioner. Will update when I get a firm resolution. Other than that no mechanical problem at all.
Update from the workshop is that the entire throttle body with sensors etc will be replaced. Part is ordered from Tata Motors, Pune.
Old 17th December 2017, 22:45   #43
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review - Tata Tiago XZ Petrol - throttle assembly failure

Quote:
Update from the workshop is that the entire throttle body with sensors etc will be replaced. Part is ordered from Tata Motors, Pune.
I got the car back from the workshop today. It took about 10 days for the entire episode. The offending part was replaced and the car was tested extensively - so I am told. When asked as to how they were confident that the throttle assembly was the part that caused the problem this is what I was told. They had done extensive checking on the computer and found that the problem emanated from the throttle assembly. Then they took out the part from another Tiago - demo car - which was lying at the workshop and the problem was solved.

Strangely, I find that the car is running smoother with less noise and vibration. I had a problem with early morning starts even in summer - the car used to miss when I changed to second gear irrespective of whether I accelerated or not. All this seems to have disappeared. Let me do some more extensive testing to confirm all this. I also need to check with the Workshop if they updated the ECU management software. Anyway I will get to the bottom of all this and report it here.

One other issue I faced when the car was first taken to the workshop for warranty repair. The service agent who told me that the problem was caused by carbon deposit in the throttle body and that they had to clean it. Following the cleaning the defect according to him was resolved. He then demanded Rs 850 as their labour charge for cleaning the throttle body. I was indignant and told him that was rubbish and if such a thing was done it is part of warranty repair. Now I suspect that he was probably just told by the workshop to charge me something and so he attempted to cover up the real job he did which was just to reset the engine management software or load it afresh. The carbon cleaning was just a way to filch money. This is the problem with all dealers and all workshops - whether it is Honda or Hyundai or Tata. Let's not blame Tata service agencies alone. I remember a friend of mine was getting his 3rd free service for Honda City iVtec recently and I overheard his conversation with the service advisor that the cost would be around Rs 11000. I told him to ask the person to repeat what all he was going to do and I was shocked at the nonsense he spouted. I got him to remove all the surplus not needed items and the cost came down to Rs 4000. The same happened to me with my Santro - so Hyundai is not better.

I think that the earning of these workshops with the new age engines and cars is very poor. Engine oil is replaced once in 7500 or 10000 km. Hence, there is pressure to get all sorts of extra work done. This has spoilt the entire culture of After Sales Services.
ashokabs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 22:28   #44
BHPian

Long Term With Tata Tiago Xz

I had written an ownership review of the Tiago XZ which was published in Dec 2017. The car has now done 11000 km in 15 months. It has seen the three free services. The last service was done at 8600 km as it had completed one year from the date of purchase in end Sep 2016. It is owner driven - either my wife of I drive it.

There are only the following signs of wear and tear:

1. The cover of the power outlet has come off as the plastic tab attached to the fascia has snapped. I haven't got it replaced as the only problem can be dust accumulation.
2. The boot lid goes up part way on its own. Thereafter, the last 25% of the travel the lid has to be pushed up.
3. The black floor mats I bought from Concorde Motors begin to show dirt very easily. They are difficult to maintain.
4. The locking knob on the driver side came out.

I had read elsewhere and seen photos of the rubber pedals of the clutch and brake completely worn out and coming off. However, I must say that mine do show some signs of wear but are still perfectly in order and by no means need replacement.

There was one major failure and warranty repair during this period. I have written details about it separately in the Team BHP Tiago review thread and in my ownership thread. I will just summarise the experience. The car stopped one day in the middle of the road with a completely dead throttle. The engine was running at idle speed so I could slowly move the car in 1st and 2nd gear at slow speed to a safe parking place. I then approached the breakdown service of Tata Motors. The car was picked up and taken to a ASS in Okhla. I left it there and after a day was informed that the car is repaired. The diagnosis was that there was some deposit which caused the throttle to get jammed. In the diagnostics I think they reloaded the ECU software. I did not buy this diagnosis but had no real option as the car was working just fine. I used the car for a day and then suddenly again the same fault occurred. This time it was towed to another ASS in Noida as the car broke down in Noida. I had by now been in touch with the Tata Manager in charge of after sales service and apprised him of the problem. He asked the TASS to do a thorough check. In 2 days time the car was delivered to me. I left it parked for 4 hours and when I tried to drive it the same problem occurred. I rang up the Tata Manager and complained about the perfunctory manner of handling the problem. He promised to get it positively diagnosed and rectified. Finally the problem was identified as a defective throttle assembly. Once this was replaced with a new Bosch unit it is working just fine for the past 2 months.

A few observations about the performance of the car before and after the throttle assembly. Prior to the replacement the car was giving about 12 km/litres. There were a few problems like jerkiness as low speeds, poor power delivery at low speeds and sluggishness when running the AC. After the new throttle assembly the power delivery at low speeds was much smoother, the mileage without AC in Delhi stop/start traffic is around 15.5 km/litre and the car didn't feel underpowered at all. In fact I find it quite zippy and able to keep up with the Dzires, Polos and others around me.

I am sure that the initial poor performance was owing to the defective throttle assembly right from the day I bought the car. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way for the mechanics to identify a poorly performing throttle assembly. Of course a check on a dynamometer along with monitoring of specific fuel consumption might have thrown up some anomalies. Maybe they need to have a quality check developed with some test bed for the throttle.

The entertainment system has been absolutely trouble free. I am enjoying it even more than the one in my Honda City iVtec - 2009.

If I have to sum up I would say that I am very happy with the car, reasonably happy with the Tata Motors response on warranty repairs and the quality of the ASS. I have no complaints about the initial quality of the car.
ashokabs is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 19:30   #45
BHPian

Hello Ashok:

Can you please see this thread and share your thoughts? I've been facing this issue since the first week of purchase and the niggle is causing me quite a lot of issues.

Most Viewed