Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2017, 23:21   #61
BANNED

Re: My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
The truck was 18 days and 600kms old then.
You have been using your V-400 to the fullest and I appreciate that. It takes genuine passion for offroading to use a 2 million rupee truck to offroad.

I wouldn't do it, for example.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 09:58   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You have been using your V-400 to the fullest and I appreciate that. It takes genuine passion for offroading to use a 2 million rupee truck to offroad.

I wouldn't do it, for example.
Thank you.

It is not the passion for offroading that drives me to use my truck this way. I would have got a Thar if offroading was all I wanted. I want to completely understand the capabilities and limitations of me and my truck so that I am not stuck in the middle of nowhere because of my foolishness. At the same time I am learning how and when to use 4 wheel drive.
Thanks to Anshuman and Rohit I am getting enough opportunities to test what all can I do with my truck.
Old 1st March 2017, 10:33   #63
Senior - BHPian

Exactly the same situation with me. I do not intend to do a hardcore offroading like the other guys who do it by souping up the Thars and Gypsies, i cant afford it.
I have driven all the possible cars and suvs under 20 lacs segment and few above. I know people recommend XUV etc in this price bracket, but a person who really knows what the benchmark of a good suspension set up is will never buy a XUV. For example i also own a linea and i know the benchmark in ride and handling, so will never touch a honda city.

I have done 5500 kms himachal trip and 3600 kms MP trip with family. I am very happy with the way this bare bone suv drives without any issues on any damn terrain. There is no match to the suspension set up on the storme. Not even the fortuner. Only close match i found was the new ford Endeavor.

What i could do with the storme on the tracks meant for the Vcross made me feel so good that i cant explain in words. Its like i never expected it to conquer those terrains and it did without fuss , so i am kind of pleased
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 10:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

Last week I noticed another quality of Storme. While driving slot it in 6th gear and leave ABC pedals. The truck moves at 50 kmph without any stalling issue. At 2nd the speed is 20 kmph and other speeds at the gears in between. I think it is similar with other diesel cars but it was a new experience for me.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:54   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last week I noticed another quality of Storme. While driving slot it in 6th gear and leave ABC pedals. The truck moves at 50 kmph without any stalling issue. At 2nd the speed is 20 kmph and other speeds at the gears in between. I think it is similar with other diesel cars but it was a new experience for me.
Reminds me somewhat of my test drive experience of a 4wd Storme quite sometime back. In 4L, with any ABC pedal untouched, the vehicle simply kept on chugging along an undulating terrain for a good amount of distance and kind of surprised the TATA MOTORS people who were not very aware of the behaviour of the beast in 4wd mode.
Old 7th March 2017, 14:18   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Last week I noticed another quality of Storme. While driving slot it in 6th gear and leave ABC pedals. The truck moves at 50 kmph without any stalling issue.
This is good and bad.

Good because it can be used at places where there are speed cops with regulated speed limits.

Bad because it puts additional pressure on the brakes.

Nevertheless, all CRDi engines have this "anti shutoff" system and this is normal behaviour.
Old 7th March 2017, 14:25   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is good and bad.

Nevertheless, all CRDi engines have this "anti shutoff" system and this is normal behaviour.
I am learning to use it in most optimal way. It is a boon when you need crawling speeds in heavy traffic. Just slot it in 1st or second gear, as per speed requirement and just let it move on it's own. This reduces a lot of strain from left foot.

Good to know it is normal in CRDI engines.
Old 9th March 2017, 23:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

Got my bumper repaired till I get the one of the off road type or till this one breaks again, whichever happens earlier. Below are the images of before and after repair:
Attached Thumbnails
My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4-screenshot_20170209190410.jpg  

My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4-img20170309wa0008.jpeg  

sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 00:20   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good to know it is normal in CRDI engines.
It is the same even with non-CRDI engines. Older Petrol engines didnt have this, but now with ECU controlled fuel supply, even petrol engines of today dont normally stall.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 17:44   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Got my bumper repaired till I get the one of the off road type or till this one breaks again, whichever happens earlier.
Where and how was it repaired? What was the cost? Happy with the finish?
Old 10th March 2017, 17:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where and how was it repaired? What was the cost? Happy with the finish?
Got it repaired from local bumper repair guy near my office. Total damage was 1200 bucks and he took 3 hours to bring it back to shape. The finish is good, the alignment is perfect and it is not possible to notice the damage unless one looks at it very closely. Only time will tell how much it will last.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 19:00   #72
Senior - BHPian

The official cycle rack that comes with the storme saves this bottom part of the bumper getting damaged. We have a planned SOUL offroading event for Pune and Mumbai members, lets see how many bumpers get damaged
Old 10th March 2017, 21:54   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
The official cycle rack that comes with the storme saves this bottom part of the bumper getting damaged. We have a planned SOUL offroading event for Pune and Mumbai members, lets see how many bumpers get damaged
These bumpers will come in way where departure angle is similar to what I attempted. Things will not improve unless we cut short the bumpers by a couple of inch or replace them with off road bumpers. In one of the obstacle I simply could not attempt the climb because my front bumper was coming in way. Scorpio did it with ease.
Old 11th March 2017, 19:26   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
We have a planned SOUL offroading event for Pune and Mumbai members, lets see how many bumpers get damaged
This is interesting. When and where is it planned?
How complex is the track?

I saw a few videos of you and your friends on the Isuzu track on YT, quite a jolly group I must say.
Old 11th March 2017, 20:35   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is interesting. When and where is it planned?
How complex is the track?

I saw a few videos of you and your friends on the Isuzu track on YT, quite a jolly group I must say.
Its planned on 19th March at Rajmachi. Around 30 cars. Track is not complex at all, it's totally a slushy track , backwaters of the dam. Its a normal event with max of 4x2 safaris and few 4x4 pullers

That isuzu track was a totally off the schedule attendance. The isuzu event was organized by the Pune path finders at my friends farm. We were supposed to be over the fence spectators and isuzu had planned test drive for all probable customers.

After the isuzu group was done and we too were done with the isuzu trials which left us very much impressed, we thought of a misadventure to try my storme on those tracks. And voila storme left us double impressed.

Yes Pune Path Finders group is simply too great and their arrangements for isuzu was too good.

Soul group events are also fun, do join us if possible, would love to have you between us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks