Team-BHP - Driven: Volvo S90
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Driven: Volvo S90 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/181447-driven-volvo-s90-3.html)

Drove the S90 recently. Looking forward to buy the V90 in couple of years to compliment wife's V60 :)

The US market is getting the long wheelbase version for the coming model year. I think volvo might offer the same option once they can gauge the reaction to that new E class. It could be a game changer for Volvo in India.

Great review. MY 2018 Inscription trim is further upgraded with massage seats, rear window/windshield curtains as well. Great value for money at this price range.

I had the pleasure of inspecting this car at close range last year, when I was in the market for a new, larger car, to replace my i10. I fell in love with the design, and I still think it has the best in class interior design, and a great feature list. I do wish that the rare seats offered better under thigh support, and that Volvo could have done a better job in storing the spare wheel in the boot without merely building an enclosure on the boot floor to hide the wheel. That apart, I loved everything about the car, especially its concave front fascia, which is so unique and cool to look at. The signature DRLs are eye-catchy, too.

The last time I checked, the Kochi dealership was offering to upgrade the car to a Polestar performance package, whereby the output breaches the 200 BHP mark, and also increases the torque to 440 Nm, for an additional 70k, which seemed reasonable to me, especially since it doesn’t affect the warranty. Don’t know if they still do that. I recall that I had stopped short of booking the car because the post GST price hike was pushing it beyond my budget radar, and also because the dealer didn’t have a TD car available for a long time, due to the GST issues in importing the vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gk1234 (Post 4401092)
... that Volvo could have done a better job in storing the spare wheel in the boot without merely building an enclosure on the boot floor to hide the wheel.

I am not sure, but isn't this a good thing. unlike merc where we extra tyre eat's the boot space???

Quote:

Originally Posted by gk1234 (Post 4401092)
The last time I checked, the Kochi dealership was offering to upgrade the car to a Polestar performance package, whereby the output breaches the 200 BHP mark, and also increases the torque to 440 Nm, for an additional 70k, which seemed reasonable to me,

Are you sure? isn't Polestar Petrol and S90 Diesel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_arya (Post 4405653)

Are you sure? isn't Polestar Petrol and S90 Diesel?

Every Volvo sold gets a polestar remap ( paid) , that's what he is talking about. It's available for all diesel and petrol cars sold by Volvo.

Volvo and their designs, me and my buddy were driving casually in a 30L vehicle and this S90 drove past us, gosh, were we smitten. It looks so different from the Germans [in a good way] and has its own charm and in that pale blue shade, it wowed us.

It appeared as thrice [if not more] expensive than any other 30L car I see on our roads.

Volvo India has launched the Momentum variant of the S90 sedan which is almost 7 lakh cheaper than the Insription variant.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...90-lakh-409769

Quote:

The new Volvo S90 Momentum is priced from Rs 51.90 lakh and sits below the top-spec D4 Inscription variant that costs Rs 58.54 lakh.
The entry-level S90 gets a piano black finish on the grille, circular exhaust tips and 18-inch alloy wheels in a simpler design as opposed to diamond-cut finish on the higher variant.
It also misses out on front seat ventilation and massage functions, foldable rear seats, a rear sun shade, the Bowers and Wilkins sound system, a hands-free tailgate opening function and the head-up display.
The S90 Momentum, however, does come with a 9-inch touchscreen infotainment system and digital gauges, auto parking system, front and rear parking sensors and a standard rear camera instead of a 360-degree unit. Major safety equipment on the entry-level S90 is nearly identical to the top trim, which means it gets six airbags, ABS, EBD, brake assist, hill-start assist, Isofix seat anchorages and adaptive cruise control with pilot assist. Blind Spot Assist does not make it here, however. What may be a bit of a downer is that air suspension is no longer a part of standard kit. Also, Momentum buyers don’t get the added adjustability and involvement of driver modes and paddleshifters, which are noteworthy exclusions on this trim.
Driven: Volvo S90-1_578_872_0_70_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20180920035208_s90d4momentumfront.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPS (Post 4464199)
Volvo India has launched the Momentum variant of the S90 sedan which is almost 7 lakh cheaper than the Insription variant.

Those are relatively insignificant exclusions in features for quite a hefty reduction in price. Great move by Volvo!

I hope to see more of these on the road at this price, its is easily the most stunning looking vehicle on sale in India today along with the XC90, in my opinion.

I would miss only the stereo and the Heads up display. The keen pricing should see it grab a few Audi and Mercedes C class sales as well as the high end tourist taxi market.

Note that I see Emirates phasing in Volvo S60's to replace the now tired Merc C220's - those cars must have completed around 300000 km by now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4464425)
Note that I see Emirates phasing in Volvo S60's to replace the now tired Merc C220's - those cars must have completed around 300000 km by now!

That's interesting as Emirates is phasing out the Volvo's in favour of 520d and E220d wagons in the UAE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porcupine (Post 4464474)
That's interesting as Emirates is phasing out the Volvo's in favour of 520d and E220d wagons in the UAE.

Actually, its carzonrent that handles Emirates transport in India

I'm planning to buy the Volvo s90 Momentum over the 520d sports line. Is this a good decision?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kslives (Post 4500230)
I'm planning to buy the Volvo s90 Momentum over the 520d sports line. Is this a good decision?

If you spend time in the back seat or you are a sober driver or you like an airy cabin - The Volvo

If you like driving pleasure and can tolerate the firm ride and be one of many - the BMW

Volvo might not hold its value but in the long term, its maintenance cost will be relatively less

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4500461)
If you spend time in the back seat or you are a sober driver or you like an airy cabin - The Volvo

If you like driving pleasure and can tolerate the firm ride and be one of many - the BMW

Volvo might not hold its value but in the long term, its maintenance cost will be relatively less

Thanks Ajmat, I have owned an e90 (bmw 320d) for 6 years and there isn’t any doubting of the fact that when BMW says - sheer driving pleasure, it holds true. But given the traffic conditions in delhi and the one off road trips once in a few months I’m really not able to exploit the car to its full potential.

So maybe this time round I was thinking of giving the Volvo a chance coz for similar amount of money (or even slightly lesser) you are getting a great package after all and since most of my driving would be in the city.. I think I can take that gamble?

I must say, BMW service has been quite a let down throughout my tenure - they keep the car for days for the smallest work and their follow ups are pretty sad too. In fact as I type this, my car has been with Bird for 10days now and the last update I got from them was 4 days back! It’s me who has been following up with them as I don’t have a standby car and have been struggling to commute!

Finally, what’s your opinion on the 530i? With all this stuff happening with diesel cars in NCR, petrol might be a good option?