Team-BHP - Driven: Honda Accord Hybrid
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Driven: Honda Accord Hybrid (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/182345-driven-honda-accord-hybrid-2.html)

Really nice review! Well done and deserves 5 stars.

I don't think Honda is really bothered about selling Accords in India. I do not know how they can justify this high price tag.

On a lighter note, "How do I repair a puncture without removing the tyre? :confused:

Atleast provide the basic tool kit Honda!

In my opinion the accord is grossly overpriced
I would rather buy a Skoda superb for driving dynamics or a Camry for the bosses/ Sethajis for the same amount of comfort and reliability ( if not more) it offers.
This car being a cbu it's spare/replacement parts would take a longer time to be delivered and installed on the car (for example the ORVM which is prone to damage in any car on Indian roads )
The only reason for someone to buy this over a Camry is if he is loyal to the brand and has bought only Honda cars in the past
:OT
I seriously doubt if anyone would buy this in the USA if it were launched at this price (around 60k at 1 dollar=60 rupees)

Fantastic review. The description of torque slip characteristics brought back memories of my electrical engineering days - amazing how lot of what one learned 20+ years ago is finding its way into cars (motors / neural networks for machine learning etc.). Agree fully that the lack of interior quality is sad. Am also surprised that Honda thinks Indians will be happy to fix a puncture on their own - the only solace is that puncturewallahs are usually not very far away. Find manufacturers whose products lack wheel wells, who also don't provide runflats rather strange indeed.

Fantastic review, but they have priced the car out of the market.
Why would anyone buy this over Camry ?
Could it be that this is technology demonstrating product and a test bed for other affordable hybrid Hondas in the future.

The Accord simply doesn't provide value at it's price. Honda would have done better by selling an Acura car at a slightly higher price.

As the price increases, badge value matters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vik0728 (Post 4105358)

Hey Samurai, the Engine develops 143 BHP and the battery does about 181 BHP. So shouldn't the total output be 324 BHP here?? :Shockked:

As many mentioned, the output is always controlled. I'm sure the maximum combined output will be in the range of 180-200 BHP. This will be monitored by the electronics in the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 4106454)
As many mentioned, the output is always controlled. I'm sure the maximum combined output will be in the range of 180-200 BHP. This will be monitored by the electronics in the car.

Also, the peak outputs of the motor and engine are not at the same RPM in addition to what you mention as with the electronic control of power. So you cannot just do A+B for the two power output numbers. Just for performance comparison, the US spec hybrid accord is faster than the regular 4 cylinder 2.4 and slower than the 3.5 v6. So it is no slouch. Expect to hit 100 kph in around 8 seconds. The pricing of the Accord Hybrid in the states is interesting - it is the most expensive Accord you can buy in the US. Even the V6 is cheaper at each trim level. I also attribute that to the fact that the Hybrid is still made in Japan whereas all the other Accord models are made in the USA.

I don't think Honda is selling as many hybrids in the US as they expected. Also, the general market sentiment in the US is totally going to small CUVs from sedans and petrol powered cars from hybrids and EVs due to the lower fuel prices. Only a major fuel price correction will change that trend. The astronomical price in India is going to lead to the same effect. They might offer a big price cut (like they did with the Civic Hybrid several years back), after realizing that at this price no one is interested in their product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradox p100d (Post 4105775)
In my opinion the accord is grossly overpriced
I would rather buy a Skoda superb for driving dynamics or a Camry for the bosses/ Sethajis for the same amount of comfort and reliability ( if not more) it offers.

And that's precisely what I did. I was looking to replace the 2010 Accord 2.4L AT of my Dad with the new one. Also paid the Rs. 51,000/- booking advance that Honda wanted.

But when the price was announced, Honda outpriced itself and I plumped for a Superb 2.0 TDI DSG L&K instead. And absolutely no regrets. Just did a Coimbatore - Bangalore - Coimbatore run and averaged 21kmpl.

Last I heard was that Honda are only offering the car at the Metros and not for dealers in Tier 2 cities. so there ends my Accord story.

And suddenly the Camry becomes a value proposition.I dont think Honda is serious about selling these in any perceivable numbers. It was most probably introduced to be part of what is essentially a very niche segment yet.

At these prices, the Accord is not a niche offering ! Its a waste of time on the part of Honda.
I sat inside the new one and it feels no better than my current Accord that i bought 5 years back for 20 Lakhs! Also i can understand a premium of 5-7 Lakhs for the HYBRID technology, but this is ridiculous. At the end of the day, as a customer, i don't care if its a CBU, CKD, 100% Made in India. Its a car that i will buy if i find it to be worth the money. Does CBU offer me more comfort or status ?? No ! Then please keep the taxation structure jargon to yourself Honda !!

The Audi A6 with discounts is costing me less than a Lakh more than the Accord! lol:

Honda Insight is considered to be one of the best hybrids. Honda does something right somewhere. Unfortunately the price point of the Accord Hybrid will only send customers to the competitors.

My S-I-L was looking for a new car and Accord Hybrid was one of the contenders. What a car to drive - the Camry hybrid is no match.
A long wait time and absolutely no will to negotiate on part of Honda moved her to the regular gas Accord.

A Prius would get my vote if road noise was not a priority. The Prius V is a fantastic vehicle. The same motor powers the Prius which is true VFM. But I digress....

The Accord design is truly timeless, IMHO. Very understated lines and not flashy. Isn't this the 9th gen?

Great review. Especially the description under the title “Driving the Hybrid Accord’ is delightful to read to an imaginary mind! The next gen Accord by the looks of it, is not going to be worth a second look. There are ample reasons for that, as you have explained. The CBU, no spare tyre, 37+ price ex-delhi, etc.

To someone whose 90 % driving is on Highways, the very idea of driving a car with no spare wheel is equivalent to going for a Holiday with the wallet left at home! I can’t imagine myself driving any car with no spare wheel.

To someone who would not sell a car after 3-5 years, maintenance plays a significant role. One wonders the feasibility of maintaining such a vehicle in the long run, being a CBU.

Not to forget the perfect deal breaker, priced exorbitantly (+ 37 price ex – delhi) .

That ‘someone’ being me, the next gen Accord is a big disappointment. Please excuse my bitterness. One had driven 2006 Accord (2.4L + conventional AT, sparingly) , 2007 Accord (2.4L + conventional AT, extensively , 100,000 km+) and never drove 2012 Accord(Which one is assuming , “under the hood”, being similar to prev-gen Accords) . The belief that amongst its adversaries, it was the cheapest to maintain, having a spare wheel, works with the tried and tested conventional Auto, etc—Alluding to my 2007 Accord experience in brief. One wonders what would be the experience of owning the next gen Accord. Nothing withstanding the fact, that the current Toyota Camry Hybrid would win hands down against the next-gen Accord.

The last time one saw the next-gen Accord was the Auto-Expo, and one had high expectations from it. Truly disappointed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik_kapur (Post 4107396)
At these prices, the Accord is not a niche offering ! Its a waste of time on the part of Honda.
I sat inside the new one and it feels no better than my current Accord that i bought 5 years back for 20 Lakhs!

True 5-7 lakh is a suitable premium for Hybrid even if it is first in country.They should have kept it close to Camry in order to keep sales charts moving.
Accord Hybrid for me is Dead on Arrival due to hefty price tag.
Feeling disappointed.

I think this car would be peppier to drive v/s the Camry. Superb suffers from Skoda's aftermarket issue in India, and although the Camry has more features and has the Toyota reliability, Accord has always been fun to drive and the new one looks like it on paper.

Is 5 lakh a premium worth paying for, maybe not. Is 3 lakh a premium worth paying for, I think probably yes. Of course, this is from the perspective of someone who would be driving and not sitting at the back. I'd hope Honda does a price revision soon, but I wouldn't take away anything from this car in terms of performance !

Look who brought a accord.

Driven: Honda Accord Hybrid-11.jpg

Pretty funny to drive IMO if I cant correlate the engine speed to road speed!

Must do a TD to get a sense of how it performs. Am sure Honda aint that bad to take away the drivers appeal. Lets see how things pan out

Great review Samurai