Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2016, 16:22   #31
BHPian

Re: Video Review: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T! The Brute-Fort

Great review Karan, very comprehensive & crisp. Good to see people upgrading from previous generation Fortuner to the newer one. Met a couple of more owners happily upgrading.

The indestructible nature of the car is one big reason for massive success of this product not only in India but across countries.

The new one is going to lead a long way like the previous one did, looks massive and impressive in flesh as compared to photos.

Congrats once again and wishing you happy & safe miles ahead.
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 16:55   #32
BHPian

Hey Karan !! Firstly congratulations on owning the Legendary SUV in it's New and Latest Avatar Wish you endless munching miles on this one as it's built to last.

The Video Review is just awesome and very informative as always from your end and provides a very good insight about the New Fortuner in comparison to the previous one.

I and I bet everyone glued to the Forum would love to see the New Fortuner's Off-Roading capabilities and it's one on one comparison with the New Ford Endevour.

Keep posting such fabulous reviews !!

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 27th December 2016 at 16:56. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 17:36   #33
BHPian

Awesome review Karan. Many congrats for new fortuner. Looks awesome in white. I m about to buy 4x2 automatic version after my return to India by mud Jan.
Could you please advice on the ICE and the speaker set up?

Last edited by SDP : 27th December 2016 at 19:20. Reason: pls -> please. No SMS language please
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 19:30   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
Superb review Karan!!
I am fan of the new Endeavor, but your review has certainly shaken things up here. Do let us know if any comparo between the Fortuner and the Endeavor is in the pipeline. Can't wait for the big match-up
Thanks espraveen, good to know that my review was useful to you. Comparo video? Lets see !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Marking this thread.
How many kilometers done yet?
Differences between both when pushed hard [soft earth] since this is not a full time 4WD?
Thanks again Sheel. Also yet to take the Fortuner properly Off Road but whatever time iv spent in 4H the car feels heavier, more grippy & less of wheel spins.

Quote:
60 aspect ratio for a SUV...what next, 55 aspect ratio?
Well the TRD version of the Fortuner is getting 265/50 R20 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
well, I don't think it should be a big concern. I was checking rear locks on my son's Sahara Jeep here in Calgary and could not find one. Only Rubicons are fitted with lockers from the factory unless you order specifically. Standard drive mode is Rear wheel drive and you have to manually shift to 4x4.

All variants of Jeep comes with Command-Trac which is probably similar to A-Trac of Toyota. Even the Unlimited model that Jeep has launched in India @70 Lac+ and is considered amongst best 4x4 vehicles, does not have locking differentials.
I Agree, thanks for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Excellent review there Karan! Wonderful effort and thanks for sharing
As a few others suggested, it will be great to have a comparison with the Endeavour; if not a video review, at least a write-up will be nice.
Thanks vb-san for your comments & a comparo video lets see if it can be done, il try my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
A review stuffed with amazing facts and details to the brim! Loved the contents of the review, also more critical and concise, contrary to the absolute cheesy rhetoric of most of our Indian video reviewers.
Thanks you for your wonderful comments & appreciation.

Quote:
One thing that I wanted to point out, you could improve the video by uncoupling the conversation/commentary and the actual video(in some parts). What I mean is, do the videography with some pre-recorded shots- the slow moving (based on the context of commentry) video shots and perhaps slo-mos, and then add the commentary later in the background. I guess that's the way Chris Harris used to do. Save the real-time driving-commentry video for some interesting points and insights.
Currently, there is a sense of lapse in concentration while doing two things at the same time - driving and commenting, leading to unevenness and a sense of urgency in the flow of commentary.
Thanks & Noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Wow congrats for the car Karan and an absolutely fabulous review to top it off!

I had a go in the new Fortuner in the boot camp Toyota had organized and I am still not sure if it is the one I would have over the Endeavour. It is really a tough call.
Thanks Kisharchit.

Well Endeavour v/s Fortuner is a long battle where some prefer Toyota brand where as others may want to buy the Ford. BUT in todays scenario the Endeavour is a great product with more features and better engine too (more power and an extra cylinder). So if you want to buy an A/T then the Ford is better product, if Manual then definitely the Toyota as its available with a larger 2.8 L compared to 2.2 L of Ford.
Hence i bought an 4x4 MT Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Congrats on the new acquisition. While many here do not like the new design, I quite like the new age design of the Fortuner. As you mentioned, the headlamps are very bright and I believe they are brighter than your bimmer.
What surprises me is that even in the all new model Toyota has failed to improve the ride quality. Does it still feel like a pogo stick in the middle row?
Thank You PrideRed. The ride quality has surely improved compared to the last gen as the Fortuner uses softer springs and also the dampers are tweaked. BUT its not a drastic improvement just more liveable.

I asked feedback from my family about the middle row and they felt the new one is more comfortable. I believe the middle row seat also has a role to play here as it has improved to give better comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
Great review Karan, very comprehensive & crisp. Good to see people upgrading from previous generation Fortuner to the newer one. Met a couple of more owners happily upgrading.
Congrats once again and wishing you happy & safe miles ahead.
Thanks for your wishes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Hey Karan !! Firstly congratulations on owning the Legendary SUV in it's New and Latest Avatar Wish you endless munching miles on this one as it's built to last.
Thanks AJ for your wishes.

Quote:
The Video Review is just awesome and very informative as always from your end and provides a very good insight about the New Fortuner in comparison to the previous one.
Keep posting such fabulous reviews !!
Thanks for your inspiring comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Awesome review Karan. Many congrats for new fortuner. Looks awesome in white. I m about to buy 4x2 automatic version after my return to India by mud Jan.
Could you pls advice on the ICE and the speaker set up?
behaln,
Thanks & good to know that you'd be getting a Fortuner soon.

Honestly i havent tried the ICE yet just listened to the Radio and that isnt the best way to judge the speakers. Shall report on that later.

Last edited by karan561 : 27th December 2016 at 19:34.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 21:41   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier today the Fortuner crossed its 1st milestone of 1000km;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482855032.465152.jpg

Time for the 1st service
karan561 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 15:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Booking & Delivery Experience;

I booked the car 1 day after the launch in Early November.
Car was delivered in just over 2 weeks & was November 2016 make.
The colour of the car is SUPER WHITE.
I took Delivery on 24/11/16 & was a great experience at;
Dealership: RATHOD TOYOTA, Vapi.
I did a self registration.
I paid aprox 30k for extended warranty (5 years / 100,000 kms)
I got to do my own insurance as well, which saved me aprox INR 40k.
Freebies: OE Toyota Floor Mats.
It was just over 6 kms on the odo when i took delivery.

Dealership Experience 10/10
Karan,

Why did you not choose the Endeavour, it seems to offer more value on paper at this price point and is loaded with features, a very balanced engine and great off-roading capabilities.

PS : I am unable to decide between these 2, hence the question.
prateekvidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 17:07   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekvidya View Post
Karan,
Why did you not choose the Endeavour, it seems to offer more value on paper at this price point and is loaded with features, a very balanced engine and great off-roading capabilities.
Prateek,

Endeavour v/s Fortuner is a long battle where some prefer Toyota brand where as others may want to buy the Ford. BUT in todays scenario like you mentioned the Endeavour is a great product with more features and better engine too (more power and an extra cylinder). So if you want to buy an A/T then the Ford is better product, if Manual then definitely the Toyota as its available with a larger 2.8 L compared to 2.2 L Manual of Ford.
Hence i bought an 4x4 MT Fortuner as i wanted a Manual transmission
Old 30th December 2016, 12:33   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

1st Service Update;

Earlier this week the car crossed its 1st milestone of 1000km and was time for the 1st service.

Lined up at Millennium Toyota, Thane.

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483081065.066463.jpg

The LED Tail-Lamps seen glistening in this pic;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483081085.650415.jpg

On the ramp for a quick observation / check up;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483081116.793402.jpg

A quick look at the under-body of the New Fortuner;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483081140.098627.jpg

A much needed wash;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483081170.102091.jpg

A 3M spray was used for cleaning / gloss;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483081192.999989.jpg

Wiping it off to achieve a clean look;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483081214.758969.jpg

The Engine Bay all cleaned up;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483081239.092300.jpg

Ready to go

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483081274.098381.jpg

The service got done in just over 1 Hour & car was delivered on time.

Other than the check up, cleaning, wash & interior vacuuming there was a dashboard polish applied without my notice and is now creating a shiny glare on the windscreen in the Sun, need to get this dried up.

Also the tyre pressure was checked and set @ 29 PSI.

Also note this 1st service was FREE.

Last edited by karan561 : 30th December 2016 at 13:02.
karan561 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 15:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
I bet everyone glued to the Forum would love to see the New Fortuner's Off-Roading capabilities and it's one on one comparison with the New Ford Endevour
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekvidya View Post
Karan,

Quoting myself and you on the confusion between the Ford Endevour and the Toyota Fortuner; I just came across this video on YouTube and hope this helps to some extent. At the end of it, it's a decision between the head and the heart !!

AJ-got-BHP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

A very insightful review Karan. Loved the tinier details that you've shared, like a proper enthusiast. Even your kid brother's videography skills have significantly evolved since first video.

We've extensively driven the Fortuner on-road and off-road and this truck doesn't fail to impress (especially off-road). I particularly loved the iMT feature which rev-matches each time one downshifts - not only is it fun, it's also makes the drive really smooth.

Oh...and congrats on finally getting your T-Fort .
S2!!! is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 21:28   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
A very insightful review Karan. Loved the tinier details that you've shared, like a proper enthusiast. Even your kid brother's videography skills have significantly evolved since first video.
Thanks for your appreciation S2

Quote:
I particularly loved the iMT feature which rev-matches each time one downshifts - not only is it fun, it's also makes the drive really smooth.
Oh Yeah, for people who have driven the Manual Fortuner will understand how extremely fun it is to drive, and the iMT revv matching actually works & is not just a gimmick. Definitely a very under-rated feature.

Quote:
Oh...and congrats on finally getting your T-Fort .
^ Thanks once again
Old 2nd January 2017, 23:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I particularly loved the iMT feature which rev-matches each time one downshifts - not only is it fun, it's also makes the drive really smooth.
Wow! That's really awesome! Rev-matching is usually a feature reserved in high-end manual sports cars like the Porsche 911R. To hear that it is present in the Toyota Fortuner makes me want to at least take a test drive just to try out that feature.

Now I better learn how to rev-match properly or I'll have to steal the rev-match module from the Fortuner to bring the feature to my Laura TSi

Last edited by jalajprakash : 2nd January 2017 at 23:21.
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:05   #43
Team-BHP Support

The tread pattern on the Bridgestone Duelers in the new Fortuner MT 4X4 is pretty similar to what is there on my 4WD Scorpio S10. Very good for on road usage, but the moment it sniffs mud and there is an incline, all 4 wheels spin. Pray hard, that you do not encounter soft-mud.

Bugs me as to why manufacturers cannot provide proper AT tires for 4X4 SUV's. I appear to have finalized Goodyear Wranglers AT/SA as a replacement as nothing much is available.

Video review is brilliant but few more pictures won't hurt. One can't always watch a video, can he? But this time, at a proper trail, in some sand/mud.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:01   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend i did a quick overnight trip to Pune & back.

It was a pleasurable drive to cruise on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway for the 1st time;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483457219.628402.jpg

Fuel Economy reported in this long run was;

Mumbai - Pune : 10.4 Km/l
Pune - Mumbai : 14.7 Km/l

While going the FE was less as it was 31st, uphill and lot of holiday traffic around the ghats & toll. While returning the next day afternoon was a great drive with cruise control engaged in 6th gear for around 25% of journey on Expressway & hence more economical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The tread pattern on the Bridgestone Duelers in the new Fortuner MT 4X4 is pretty similar to what is there on my 4WD Scorpio S10. Very good for on road usage, but the moment it sniffs mud and there is an incline, all 4 wheels spin.
Yes, the Dueler H/T felt good at the high speeds, but they look too tame for the car.

Quote:
Bugs me as to why manufacturers cannot provide proper AT tires for 4X4 SUV's. I appear to have finalized Goodyear Wranglers AT/SA as a replacement as nothing much is available.
For your Scorpio ? Or Have you booked a Fortuner ?

Quote:
Video review is brilliant but few more pictures won't hurt. One can't always watch a video, can he? But this time, at a proper trail, in some sand/mud.
Sure !

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd January 2017 at 21:27.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:17   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

Yes, the Dueler H/T felt good at the high speeds, but they look too tame for the car.
That is another negative

Quote:
For your Scorpio ?
For Scorpio.

Fortuner...lets wait some more..

Quote:
Sure !
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed