Team-BHP - The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/182826-brute-fort-my-2016-toyota-fortuner-4x4-m-t-now-upgraded-bf-goodrich-t-ko2-6.html)

Karan - Now please do share your experience between both the Fortuners [new & old] plus, how is it to drive both in wet conditions on tarmac. And hey, what about AT's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4227883)
As usual brilliant clicks, seeing the images I have a silly doubt, did it scrape anywhere?

How good is the low end torque?

Thanks !

It did not scrape anywhere.

Low End Torque ? Well its the best in the business !

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAS (Post 4227954)
I'm sure you had a wonderful time. Nice clicks!! clap

Yes, had a great time.

Quote:

7 cars in all - 6 Fortuners and 1 Endeavour; the same ratio as sales (6:1).lol:
lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4228045)
Karan - Now please do share your experience between both the Fortuners [new & old] plus, how is it to drive both in wet conditions on tarmac. And hey, what about AT's?

Equally good so far.

The tyres being HT performed decently on such conditions but are pathetic on wet roads as the aquaplaning resistance is poor.

Sad part was that next day i had a flat. (More on this in the next post)

The next morning after the OTR the rear right tyre was flat;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499184197.658644.jpg

^ At first i thought probably during the OTR session the tyre would have got damaged.

But upon removal of the tyre, found the culprit;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499184519.891208.jpg

Bridgestone's got screwed at a very early age;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499184537.298533.jpg

Fixed it and put the same tyre back as i did not want to use the stepney :thumbs up

It appears that it is almost the same tread design as what I got in my 4WD Scorpio in size 235/65 R17. So, be ready for punctures :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 4228280)
The tyres being HT performed decently on such conditions but are pathetic on wet roads as the aquaplaning resistance is poor.

So I was right, the feeling of more confidence when it is pouring is much more in AT's than it was in HT's. Thanks :)

I missed this part and hence the consecutive post.

Earlier today had taken the car for a underbody high pressure wash at the official Toyota Service centre;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499408395.588054.jpg

Guess what, we found out a stone had been stuck around the skid plate area;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499408434.160321.jpg

Somewhere here;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499408455.461495.jpg

All Clean;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1499408416.613167.jpg

:thumbs up

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-img_0599.jpg

Total Cost of the wash was INR 785/- (Incl. Taxes), this included exterior, underbody & Interior Vacuuming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 4228506)
The next morning after the OTR the rear right tyre was flat;

Attachment 1654121

^ At first i thought probably during the OTR session the tyre would have got damaged.

But upon removal of the tyre, found the culprit;

What a coincidence! Even my rear right tyre had a similar puncture just yesterday while returning from Bangalore. No, I wasn't doing any offroading, was just cruising on a smooth highway and found that a sharp wooden nail like thing pierced through the tyre. This made me realize that these Duelers are a bit soft:eek:

Hello Karan, official Toyota Fortuner Twitter handle have tweeted your offroad pic. Have a lookclap: The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-screenshot_20170721192105.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venku2015 (Post 4231887)
What a coincidence! Even my rear right tyre had a similar puncture just yesterday while returning from Bangalore. No, I wasn't doing any offroading, was just cruising on a smooth highway and found that a sharp wooden nail like thing pierced through the tyre. This made me realize that these Duelers are a bit soft:eek:

lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING DYSP (Post 4238146)
Hello Karan, official Toyota Fortuner Twitter handle have tweeted your offroad pic. Have a lookclap: Attachment 1659401

Good to know that, thanks for sharing :thumbs up

Hit a nice number on the odo :)

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501657098.180006.jpg

Yesterday had a quick trip to Silvassa & faced some real downpour on NH8;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1503741131.095513.jpg

This was the 1st time I switched to 4wd setting on a wet road & on a highway;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1503741216.577951.jpg

^ If you see there's a small light above the tachometer needle which shows the 4x4 engaged.

The car definitely feels heavier & more planted thanks to the activation of 4 Wheel Drive in these conditions.

However, though it is a Shift on the Fly system you need to be under 100 kmh to get this engaged.

Overall i was able to maintain good speeds in 4H, which i may have not done with the regular mode which makes it really oversteery in these conditions. So the 4H modes slightly compensated the poor tire grip of the Duelers (which are poor on aquaplaning resistance) in rains.

But is it recommended to use 4H at those speeds? Though I must say, tires play a huge role in these tricky situations.

What does the 79 no indicate on the console ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4258377)
But is it recommended to use 4H at those speeds? Though I must say, tires play a huge role in these tricky situations.

Exactly. The new one isn't fulltime fwd. Does the new one have a center diff?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar (Post 4258527)
What does the 79 no indicate on the console ?

I dont know yet, been trying to find out what it means hence have still kept the sticker on. Once i know il take it off. Anybody on TEAM-BHP can tell me what it means ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4258377)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 4258586)
Exactly. The new one isn't fulltime fwd. Does the new one have a center diff?

Sheel & Sankar,

Yes, the new Fortuner is not a full time 4WD (but RWD in regular 2H mode).
Also it doent have a centre diff.
There is not a restriction of it to be not to be used on high speeds on slippery surfaces like the way i used.
The previous gen Fortuner was full time 4wd having a centre diff but it remained OPEN in normal i.e. H Mode (normal tarmac driving) & only in HL Mode the centre diff was locked. The new gen Fortuner which is without a centre diff & in 4H Mode acts as a old gens 'H Mode'. Also relate it another way if they have given a system which is shift on the fly & they are giving instructions such as dont change above 100 km/h then such speeds are not possible in 'Off Road' situations. Hence its pretty much usable for high speeds on a wet day if you want. Also have had interactions / arguments with some Toyota guys and also some senior sales training people who had gone for pre-launch training and they too have used 4H at redline speeds in 5th & 6th gears.
Plus i did research on some other forums like FJ Cruiser forum (which uses similar shift on the fly system) there members are using the 4H mode at highway speeds too without any issue.