Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2016, 23:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2

Likes;

- Engine Performance
- Looks
- Gear Shift Quality & iMT
- Interiors & Features
- Stress Free Reliability & Service Advantage

Dislikes;

- No Full Time 4WD this time
- Tyres in the 4x4 variant are H/T where as the 4x2 get A/T
- No Rear Diff Locks for Indian version
- Should have been priced more aggressively

The video covers a in-depth discussion on the new GD Series Engine;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-screen-shot-20161225-10.33.53-pm.png

Some Dancing;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-screen-shot-20161225-10.31.33-pm.png

& i get some wheel spin;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-screen-shot-20161225-10.49.28-pm.png

Other Observations;

- The exterior design philosophy looks much better in person & the design grows on you.
- The Manual models misses out on 2 cup holders which are present in the A/T in front of the gear lever.
- Fortuner sadly misses out on the ambient lighting which the Innova Crysta has, WHY ?
- The exterior mirror puddle lamps & boot lamp is yellow in colour but all other interior lights are white, WHY ?
- The Horn sounds very meek for this large SUV.
- Tyre pressure of the 1st gen Fortuner was 30 psi, but this time the recommended tyre pressure has dropped to 29 psi.
- The Hill Hold assist can get irritating for someone who knows how to release the clutch on the slope and doesn't need this assistance. I say this because you cannot switch off this assistance.

Last edited by karan561 : 25th December 2016 at 23:13.
karan561 is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 23:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Video Review: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T! The Brute-Fort

Booking & Delivery Experience;

I booked the car 1 day after the launch in Early November.
Car was delivered in just over 2 weeks & was November 2016 make.
The colour of the car is SUPER WHITE.
I took Delivery on 24/11/16 & was a great experience at;
Dealership: RATHOD TOYOTA, Vapi.
I did a self registration.
I paid aprox 30k for extended warranty (5 years / 100,000 kms)
I got to do my own insurance as well, which saved me aprox INR 40k.
Freebies: OE Toyota Floor Mats.
It was just over 6 kms on the odo when i took delivery.

Dealership Experience 10/10

Last edited by karan561 : 25th December 2016 at 23:24.
karan561 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 23:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Loved the review . You have explained the technical aspects in detail.

1. How about doing 0-100 timing in various modes? Do you think there would be difference as the power mode doesn't actually increase power?

2. Could you post output shot of led projector on road?

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 25th December 2016 at 23:31.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 23:58   #4
BHPian

Excellent video review Karan!!A nice Christmas surprise!
Your presentation was really good especially the way how you explained the technical aspects.I thoroughly enjoyed watching the whole video.

The 4×4 and M/T combo is an excellent combination.

Also,the BRUTE-FORT complements your personality really well! Hope you enjoy every moment driving it.

Best regards,
Lone Traveller
LoneTraveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 00:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Very nice and informative review, I don't think I have read or seen the technical details mentioned by you elsewhere. We might see Toyota dealers playing this video in their customer lounges soon.

Now, how about making a video comparo between Endeavour & Fortuner
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 00:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Loved the review . You have explained the technical aspects in detail.

1. How about doing 0-100 timing in various modes? Do you think there would be difference as the power mode doesn't actually increase power?

2. Could you post output shot of led projector on road?
Thanks Dr. Naren

1. I dont have a VBOX to do that test. But honestly the POWER mode will post the best time.

2. Sure, will post it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Much awaited.. Thank you very much

Will go through your review and write again.
Shall await your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Very nice and informative review, I don't think I have read or seen the technical details mentioned by you elsewhere. We might see Toyota dealers playing this video in their customer lounges soon.

Turbonator Ji, Thanks for your kind words & appreciation sir
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 00:56   #7
BANNED

First of all, would like to congratulate you on your new purchase,wish you a very happy & safe motoring!
As usual very nice and detailed review. Liked the way you covered even minor points.
For me at least the New Generation looks More attractive then the Old Gen.
The Only Missing things in the New Gen are 1)Sunroof-would had enhance the interiors & 2)Rear Diff Locks-Again this is a debatable point, but would have been a welcome feature as it was present in outgoing Generation.

Mod Note : Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 26th December 2016 at 07:55. Reason: Corrected multiple grammar mistakes and SMS language usagae
hitsun23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 00:59   #8
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent extemporaneous review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I second this request. I saw your video review on the Endeavour too.

Though you touched upon the Endeavour at the end, I request you to compare the two SUVs in engine, ride, handling, exterior, interior, acceleration, braking and pretty much everything.

You would be the best to give us an unbiased comparison.
MAS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 04:44   #9
BANNED

Overall nice effort from Toyota to uplift the Fortuner's dull interiors to a better looking modern looking design.

Love the front end (Very Japanese like) but somehow feel something is a miss when it comes to the rear end design. Incomplete and done in a hurry.

I have another point to add to the criticism to Toyota - In a 30L ex-showroom priced car, couldn't they give an auto dimming IRVM rather than a Manual D/N IRVM?! What were they smoking? Looks to dated and cheap in that interior design. You mentioned this in the video?

Happy to watch all your reviews. Fantastic details and shooting. Keep driving and shooting more such videos for us. Do an Endeavor and Fortuner comparison soon.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
- Tyre pressure of the 1st gen Fortuner was 30 psi, but this time the recommended tyre pressure has dropped to 29 psi
May be this move was passed in favor of comfort as the older generation Fortuner was criticized on the same subject. What say?

Last edited by a4anurag : 26th December 2016 at 04:49.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 11:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pictures of the delivery;

The 1st time i laid my eyes on the Truck & Vice Versa;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482730892.914482.jpg

A Happy moment for both of us;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482730927.386688.jpg

With the Rathod Toyota team;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482730972.563070.jpg

1st Refuelling, always special

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482731021.416635.jpg

Driving home both the Fortuners after Delivery;

The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482731086.614194.jpg

Every moment captured in this video;

Last edited by karan561 : 26th December 2016 at 11:22.
karan561 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 11:15   #11
BHPian

Amazing review!
The intro was truly spectacular !
Reminded me of how Bumblebee got transformed in the movie.
About the truck: 2nd gear wheel spin 'nuf said!
dean5545 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 11:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Video Review: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T! The Brute-Fort

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveller View Post
Excellent video review Karan!!A nice Christmas surprise!
Your presentation was really good especially the way how you explained the technical aspects.I thoroughly enjoyed watching the whole video.
The 4×4 and M/T combo is an excellent combination.
Also,the BRUTE-FORT complements your personality really well! Hope you enjoy every moment driving it.
Hey LoneTraveller, Thanks for your wonderful comments & appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsun23 View Post
First of all, would like to congratulate you on your new purchase,wish you a very happy & safe motoring!
As usual very nice and detailed review. Liked the way you covered even minor points.
For me at least the New Generation looks More attractive then the Old Gen.
The Only Missing things in the New Gen are 1)Sunroof-would had enhance the interiors & 2)Rear Diff Locks-Again this is a debatable point, but would have been a welcome feature as it was present in outgoing Generation.
Thanks, well yes i agree the rear diff locks would have been good to have but after going through many international reviews & comments the reports are that the ATRAC helps out in most of the situations & is sufficient. Also the previous gen in India did not have rear diff lock. Hence may be Toyota though of continuing that trend.
Sunroof i personally dont miss, so its ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Excellent extemporaneous review.
Thanks MAS ! Hope to see your Fortuner ownership thread soon as well.

Quote:
I second this request. I saw your video review on the Endeavour too.
You would be the best to give us an unbiased comparison.
Lets see how soon i can do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have another point to add to the criticism to Toyota - In a 30L ex-showroom priced car, couldn't they give an auto dimming IRVM rather than a Manual D/N IRVM?! What were they smoking? Looks to dated and cheap in that interior design. You mentioned this in the video?
Happy to watch all your reviews. Fantastic details and shooting. Keep driving and shooting more such videos for us. Do an Endeavor and Fortuner comparison soon.
Thanks Anurag for your appreciation
I missed that point of the auto dimming IRVM, it indeed would have been a handy feature during night time highway driving.

Quote:
EDIT:
May be this move was passed in favor of comfort as the older generation Fortuner was criticized on the same subject. What say?
Yes, in fact this was the same practice (reducing tyre pressure) we were applying on the previous gen Fortuner to gain better ride quality & handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Amazing review!
The intro was truly spectacular !
Reminded me of how Bumblebee got transformed in the movie.
Hey Denzil thanks, yes a lot of work went into that piece of intro segment to show the transformation/transition. I am no expert in camera work / editing, my brother helped me out with that so special thanks to him.

Quote:
About the truck: 2nd gear wheel spin 'nuf said!

It indeed was quite something to see a 2 TON SUV getting wheel spin on 2nd gear shifts, may not happen in 4H.

Last edited by karan561 : 26th December 2016 at 12:00.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 12:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review as always Karan! I see your video effect skills are getting better too, I like the lighting effect you got done in the start of the video.

Frankly, I am a bit surprised you got the Fortuner again. I recall we bought the first gen Fortuner around the same time, however even though I yet have it, I have never been fully satisfied with the car. Major reason being the poor ride quality followed by the interiors and refinement. Although your review focusing on the great new interiors and some improvement on the refinement there isn't much talk about the bumpy ride. Most magazine review claim the ride quality has improved but not dramatically, it yet seems to be bumpy due to the ladder on frame. The only way Toyota would get me back as a returning customer would be if they dramatically changed the ride quality.

I am more keen to replace by Fortuner with the Innova Crysta. Have always been tempted to get a DC upgrade, might consider it this time. My Fortuner is 99% chauffeur driven, I rather save that huge chunk and get the DC upgrade than pay the steep price tag of the Fortuner.

By the way, what offers are you currently getting for your Fortuner?
Sahil is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 13:36   #14
BHPian

Hi Karan. Many congrats for the new Fortuner. I saw your delivery experience on YouTube much before this review. Great videos man. Keep them coming. Wishing you many happy and stress-free kms of ownership.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 14:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Karan- you just nailed it!! Awesome reviews and many congratulations!!

I liked the indepth review and makes complete sense with the technical aspects highlighted by you. Some skill dude!!

Happy Motoring!!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed