Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2019, 18:33   #91
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar

Thread lying dormant from the OP = nothing remarkable to say. That can be both a good, and a bad thing. For a car like the Tucson, it is usually good. Great even. The car has been running flawlessly, still no rattles, no issues, no worries.

It has semi-delighted me, on its virtue of being a super comfortable ride. Highways, bad roads, no roads, expressways, drags. It has handled everything, and handled everything well.

Yesterday though, the first real snafu came up.
For the first time, the car didn't start. Reason apparent = battery dead.
The situation made the timing worse. Brother and mum had a wedding to get to. The car was parked last in the driveway. The brother said he'll take his Ecosport, which was parked in front. Not wanting to get up off the couch to take the car out, I asked him to take Tucson only. Little did I know

"Can you come out for a minute, the car is saying key not detected." Hmmm, I said. Probably the key battery had died. Got the spare key. No go. The display was going haywire, lights weren't turning on, nada.
I'd driven the car and parked it a couple of hours ago only, without any indication of any issue.

So I called Hyundai RSA and they gave me a max assistance time of 60 mins. I was happy with how they handled the call, and called twice to verify how the assistance went, and if it was timely. They also have a way for you to submit your location using a link they send you over text, which I did not use because the car was at my house. This would've been very helpful if I was stranded at an unfamiliar place.

Anyway, they had to leave for the wedding and couldn't wait for 60 minutes. We decided to try and push the car out so the car in front could be taken out. I got screw driver and put the car in N. And then I remembered. The parking brake was actuated, and couldn't be released without battery power
The car wouldn't be moving till a spare battery was made available.

The guy who came in with the spare battery couldn't get the car started either. "Sir, tow hi karaani padegi". Nope, I said. We'll see in the morning. I felt his battery either was too small in capacity or wasn't charged enough.

Well, I called RSA again in the morning, and the new guy who came in (I'd asked him to carry a bigger battery) jumpstarted the car in one go. That was that. However, the battery was so far gone that even in the drive to the workshop a few kms away, the electronics were cutting off intermittently.

This was my first visit to the local Hyundai ASS, and they were receptive and proficient. Checked everything briefly and concluded the battery was the only issue.
I asked them to install a spare for the day till they keep the battery and charge & diagnose it. There's a difference in power rating for other Hyundai cars which usually carry a 50 amp battery, whereas Tucson's battery is rated for 90 amps. Still, the spare battery which came out of a Creta should hold for 24 hours. Or it would indicate a deeper fault in car electronics if it doesn't.

All in all, everything was handled well, and promptly. Which was cool. Job well done Hyundai.

The battery itself was Rocket, a Korean made piece. If it turns out to be faulty, it will be replaced. We should know tomorrow.

Last edited by ach1lles : 11th March 2019 at 19:00.
ach1lles is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 23:07   #92
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the battery trouble. I hope no replacement is necessary right now, but do keep us posted on the developments.

Would be keen to know what batteries are available in the market that can replace the OEM Rocket battery in the Tucson.

I've been following your thread for a short while. Thank you for your wonderful ownership thread! Appreciate all the effort you put in.
kranti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 08:38   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Yesterday though, the first real snafu came up.
For the first time, the car didn't start. Reason apparent = battery dead.
Isn't it a little too early for the battery to die in your car?

Quote:
Anyway, they had to leave for the wedding and couldn't wait for 60 minutes. We decided to try and push the car out so the car in front could be taken out. I got screw driver and put the car in N. And then I remembered. The parking brake was actuated, and couldn't be released without battery power
The car wouldn't be moving till a spare battery was made available.
This is what scares me the most about complex electronics. Surprised that there was no redundant mechanism to remove the parking brake.

Quote:
Auto Hold: GTO has already explained this very well in his 530d M-Sport review, but this is what it does in a nutshell: it disables the 'creep' in auto transmission cars by engaging parking brake when the car comes to a complete halt. This is very useful in stop and go traffic, particularly when it is downhill, or on flyover descent. The car can be in D all throughout without you having to change to N or P, or having to re-engage the parking brake very time the car moves a few feet. To move, simply press the accelerator pedal. Note that moving again from hold is slightly jerky, and not smooth as moving from standstill by letting go of brake. This is logical however, as in essence the electronic parking brake disengagement and accelerator input are overlapping. The brake light remains on whenever Auto Hold is, er, holding. If you open the door or turn the car off when auto hold is activated, the parking brake indicator turns on and auto hold is deactivated. From here on, the parking brake will have to be manually disengaged and auto hold will have to be manually reactivated.
I don't fully understand. Do you have to press the Auto Hold button each time? Or, after pressing it once does the car hold each time you come to a complete stop?

Here's how the auto hold works in the W212 E-Class: after you come to a stop, press hard on the brake pedal. The hold would be activated, and "HOLD" would be displayed on the console. There's no button or anything.

You can release your foot off the brake if you want, even if the car is in D. The hold continues to be active even if you switch to N, but deactivates if you switch to P.

To release the hold, you can either press the accelerator, or press the brake hard once again, and the car would start rolling. Pressing the accelerator results in a noticeable jerk, while hard-pressing the brakes disables the hold (so now it's your foot holding the car), and taking your foot off the brakes results in a smooth creep.

Unlike the Hyundai, however, the hold function on our car apparently does not disable the creep. You will continue to feel a mild tug if you're in hold and the car is in D; it's only the brakes that are holding the car in space. Disabling the creep is the logical thing to do.

Quote:
Electronic parking brake was another revelation. I took it for a gimmick, a sort of party trick, but it is very convenient to use. One, it's just a small pull of the finger instead a pull of the arm, and two, it disengages automatically when you put the car in D or R. Three, it looks much better than a lever, and sits very symmetrically in the space. Four, auto hold would not be possible with a manual parking brake.
On the W212, the aforementioned hold feature coexists with a manual parking brake -- a badass foot operated parking brake at that , complete with a separate lever to release it.
voldemort is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 18:03   #94
BHPian

What a report! The Tucson is one heck of a vehicle. There are only 2 things holding me back from buying it:
- Price, Price, Price Why Hyundai? You had a potential money-spinner over there!
- The more important point: The Compass is more fun-to-drive than the tuscon (that’s subjective though) The light steering in particular ruins it.
However, those who want a diesel automatic will buy the Tucson. It is a great urban slicker! Great pictures you got there!
balderash_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 17:41   #95
BHPian

Was a bit careless and did not update this thread here. My bad.

So they got back to me the very next day and told me that everything except the battery carries a standard three year warranty.
"And how much warranty does the battery carry?"
"Two years."
"What's the age of this battery?"
"Two years and two months, sir."
"Cool."

I would've left it at that, but I decided to flex a bit.

"Wait. So you mean to tell me that the only thing that has gone wrong in the car is the only thing that does not carry standard warranty? I suggest you speak to Hyundai and let them know I expect a battery replacement covered by the warranty imminently."
"..."
"I will wait for your call back tomorrow to let me know you have the new battery. Thank you."

Sure enough, before 24 hours had passed, I had a new Exide battery in my car. And that was that.
Note: The Exide battery was delivered by the local Exide dealer, but the spec (90 A) had to be ordered.

Also, the 40,000 km service happened and everything was pretty standard. The only additional thing was the rear brake pads were replaced. The front ones were replaced at the 30k service. The total cost was ~INR 10,000.
Not too shabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranti View Post
I've been following your thread for a short while. Thank you for your wonderful ownership thread! Appreciate all the effort you put in.
Thanks kranti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
Isn't it a little too early for the battery to die in your car?
It is.

Quote:
Surprised that there was no redundant mechanism to remove the parking brake.
I did a cursory Google check and seems to be no easy manual release for the Tucson.

Quote:
I don't fully understand. Do you have to press the Auto Hold button each time? Or, after pressing it once does the car hold each time you come to a complete stop?
The latter. Press it once and works till the car is switched off.

Quote:
while hard-pressing the brakes disables the hold (so now it's your foot holding the car), and taking your foot off the brakes results in a smooth creep.
Never tried that. Let me see if this works. Thanks.

Quote:
Unlike the Hyundai, however, the hold function on our car apparently does not disable the creep. You will continue to feel a mild tug if you're in hold and the car is in D; it's only the brakes that are holding the car in space.
Yeah, Hyundai doesn't disable the creep either. I usually shift to N if the light is over 20 secs.

Quote:
On the W212, the aforementioned hold feature coexists with a manual parking brake -- a badass foot operated parking brake at that , complete with a separate lever to release it.
Haha, yeah. Apparently it's just the brakes, not the parking brake that gets actuated for Hold. I was mistaken.
Old 29th August 2019, 14:17   #96
BHPian

Leftist car

Hey guys, a little bit at my wit's end here, and need some advise. The car veers to the left and I'm unable to get this resolved.

Problem history:
Started at about 20,000 kms or so, when I noticed the car favouring the left on a straight highway. It was minor, and the car was about to go for the 20k service so had asked the guys at the dealership to take care of this problem.

They returned the car with an alignment report. The report said that all was OK, the tyres were aligned. Note: tyres have been rotated every 10,000 kms.
The car still veered to the left, however it was a little more pronounced after this alignment.
Weird.
I asked them to do it again. They did. A similar report was provided. Didn't help.

I took the car to Pirelli, Kailash Colony. I'd read somewhere on the forum that they are supposed to be the best at this. Mileage: 28,000 km.
They performed alignment and balancing and it worked, sort of. The car did not veer left, for a few days, or maybe a couple of weeks, after which the problem was back.
I took the car back to them, and this time, they made the problem worse.
Took it to them a third time, they took a bunch of additional steps:
1. Swapped the front tyres
2. Deflated and inflated all tyres fully
3. Took a test drive with me and made me stop somewhere to get down and do some manual work around the tyres, with large tools. He did this twice on both sides at different points in the drive
4. Pray to God that this would work (this is speculative)
..and they made it worse in another way, where the steering had to have a slight right to make the car go straight, but sure enough, if I let the steering go, the car would fall left.
The fall is pretty bad now, and if I let the steering go, the car goes off a single lane immediately at 60kmph.

This latest time, a week ago, I myself set the steering and let the machine do the work, which worked. Because the car was now back to stage 2 where the steering was not misaligned, but the car still strongly veers left. I need to have a more than mild grasp on the steering to keep her going straight. I did not need to do this earlier.

So.

1. The alignment machine says the alignment is OK. Rechecked: four times. With two different machines.
2. Tyres were rotated and swapped to make sure they aren't a problem.
3. Tyre pressure is not the issue
4. Braking does not cause any behaviour in the steering, so brakes aren't the issue
5. Had the suspension checked, and the dealership guys said that the suspension was properly fine.
6. Praying did not work (this is speculative)

What could be the issue here? I know I'm not imagining this because this is not normal behaviour. The Pirelli guys agreed with me on the test ride. The car falls left, and it is severe enough for it to not be safe.

Is it the steering? What should be my next step? All suggestions welcome.
Old 29th August 2019, 14:51   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Leftist car

Quote:
Hey guys, a little bit at my wit's end here, and need some advise. The car veers to the left and I'm unable to get this resolved.

Problem history:
Started at about 20,000 kms or so, when I noticed the car favouring the left on a straight highway. It was minor, and the car was about to go for the 20k service so had asked the guys at the dealership to take care of this problem.

Take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it using their machine and tools. Let them check with Hyundai technicians itself to solve the issue if the dealer is not able to fix it.

I`m not sure if all Hyundai dealers will have an alignment machine, but whoever has it, insist on them doing the alignment as well as a test drive before and after the work along with you in the car, so that the fix can be validated.

If the tires are already having abnormal wear due to alignment issue, then a replacement is the only way forward after fixing the alignment of course.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th August 2019 at 15:02. Reason: Trimming quote
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 18:21   #98
BHPian

Quote:

Same problem here. U can read my post on the official Tucson review thread. Done multiple visits to the service center. no luck in correcting the issue. My friend who has a 2017 2wd also has the same problem. I have a 2018 4wd. Even the test drive vehicle that the showroom here has the same problem. I just dont know what to do to be honest.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th August 2019 at 21:32. Reason: Trimming quoted text
bharathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 20:27   #99
Senior - BHPian

Guys,get in touch with Nikhilb2008 and see if he has a solution. This is the best I can think off.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 12:00   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, a little bit at my wit's end here, and need some advise. The car veers to the left and I'm unable to get this resolved.........
........... . The car falls left, and it is severe enough for it to not be safe.

Did you get any solution or update from Hyundai since your last post? Did they manage to diagnose the problem?

Eagerly waiting to understand what could be the cause and the solution offered by Hyundai.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 9th September 2019 at 12:02.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:00   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Get yourself the TPH cover. Really worth it. I can negotiate a better deal for you as I have bought their covers from the factory directly.

Just gives you the convenience of parking anywhere.
Wow great to hear that. Am very keen about TPH Covers - Any lead to procure one will be useful

Last edited by csateesh : 26th September 2019 at 12:00. Reason: Removed irrelevant part
Old 27th September 2019, 07:13   #102
BHPian

Quote:

I wonder if it's good 'ol torque steer. Maybe you've never noticed it before. Certain road conditions can make it very apparent. Are you running 100% stock wheel/tire sizes?
Old 5th October 2019, 20:59   #103
BHPian

Misalignment

Hey guys. So I finally found some time to get to the dealership and diagnose the problem. And I have great news.

It is not an alignment issue. Rather, there is a steering sensor that required recalibration, which was corrected promptly using the VCDS or whatever software thing they use to do so. 5 minutes. (Also relieved that it wasn’t any real mechanical issue).

I’m surprised that the dealership my car used to go to for service, or the dealership(s) for any of the other members who are facing this issue did not suggest this. The sensor, as I’ve been told today, is present in every Hyundai car from elite i20 onwards.

The sensor is responsible for telling the steering where the centre is.

So anyone who’s facing this issue and alignment hasn’t helped, go to your respective dealerships and ask them to correctly align the sensor. Solved my problem immediately.

Also received absolute VIP treatment from the Panipat dealership and everyone involved right from the ASS manager to the actual technician.
The director is a close-ish relative, but they don’t know this, and I didn’t feel the need to mention it at all. 5 stars.

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2019 at 07:36. Reason: As requested
ach1lles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 22:53   #104
BANNED

Re: Misalignment

Quote:
It is not an alignment issue. Rather, there is a steering sensor that required recalibration, which was corrected promptly using the VCDS or whatever software thing they use to do so. 5 minutes.
Hyundai uses G-Scan II as the diagnostic tool for all these jobs.

What they did perform on the car is 'Steering Angle Sensor Calibration' which solved the issue.

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2019 at 07:36. Reason: Quoted post edited
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 14:11   #105
BHPian

Go wide

After a while just felt like clicking a picture of this thing. It was washed after maybe a couple of months, atleast, after getting properly cake-muddy driving around in rain and traffic.

Also just on a whim decided to use this vantage and the wide-angle lens. I think this shot looks dope. Cars with longer bonnets and/or longer "eyes" will look even better with this angle. Try it out

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_0403.jpeg
Almost 3 years and about 50k kms done

Last edited by ach1lles : 20th October 2019 at 14:13.
ach1lles is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks