Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2017, 18:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar

Excellent review and a well deserved 5 stars!!

The Tucson picture in every thread make me go out and just buy the car. Hyundai design department is working overtime to make their cars desirable from a looks perspective only.

While Hyundai does not go over board with features as they used to previously I feel they have a good spread of features in both the Tucson and the Creta (not a big fan of sunroofs in India so..). It's a car that will it's ground among the BMW X1s and the Audi Q3s and look much better too...

Wishing you many more happy miles and waiting for that Caribbean Blue wrap!!

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 03:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
I'm font finicky. I was pretty sure the guys won't have the font I'd want in the number plate, but I was willing to compromise a bit if they had one which was appreciably similar. They didn't.

Attachment 1611284
Avenir, from identifont.com It is an evolution of 'Futura'.

Why did I want this? It's precise, correct, clear, and to my eyes it is one of the most proportionate.
Awesome font ach1lles

Silver plate on a black car is a killer combination

Please do share a picture after installation on your car.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 27th February 2017 at 04:09.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 13:54   #48
BHPian

Vs

Some comparison shots

Creta

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_1205.jpg

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_1206.jpg

Q3 2.0

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_1211.jpg

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_1213.jpg

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_1215.jpg

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_1216.jpg

A friend also got a silver Tucson. Couldn't get the side by sides for that but I felt, like with the Creta, the silver finish is better than the black.

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_1307.jpg

And finally, a shot I like, just like that

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_1297.jpg
ach1lles is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 22:31   #49
BHPian

Awesome ach1lles.

I have put my decision on hold. Hyundai dealer offered me close to 2L discount on 2016 Dec model, still I wasn't convinced. Tried negotiating for 2017 model for which he asked if I can wait till AWD launch.
Looks like the price may drop as they see the competition tightening with Compass launch.
Had three test drives of Tucson so far and I can say for sure, Tucson is a near perfect product and definitely not comparable to any other Hyundai we have seen so far. The 2L engine is their USP in Tucson.
I have test driven Tucson, Fortuner, Endeavour, BMW X1, Elantra, Santa Fe, Crysta and XUV500 in the past two months and left with Tucson and X1 in my shortlist. if it was all brain and no heart, it would have been Crysta though.
sj_koova is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 09:59   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Tried negotiating for 2017 model for which he asked if I can wait till AWD launch. Looks like the price may drop as they see the competition tightening with Compass launch.
Hyundai has learnt a bad habit since the past 2 years, a habit they're picked up from the competition - when they do a price drop they will do a features drop and variant re-shuffle as well, and they target all the useful features. If they are going to simply do a price-cut and leave the variants/value intact then by all means wait for it, I don't want to take a chance giving you a misleading recommendation should it happen.

My advice is, if you are ok with higher service costs and an upfront higher cost for the vehicle itself, X1 fits the need, you are paying for the top brand (better than Merc, and what Audi?) and that is worth it, X1's do not depreciate too much since they are entry-level and relatively affordable. If you're looking to save some money and go for a value proposition and if AWD isn't one of your needs, you can go for the 2016 Tucson model and try to wriggle a few ten-thousands more discount over the already existing Rs.2L - financially, this is most sound.

Just thought I'll chip in as I've seen that you've been at this search for months now, sometimes I've felt a bad decision seems easier than waiting to make a good one lol. Of course given that you're spending so much you should take the time.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 19:51   #51
BHPian

I agree, anticipation for something better to come is a dilemma every buyer goes through.
For me, it is the positive impact from GST, Compass launch and possibility of Hyundai being wiser and nicer.

For now I am not in a dire need for refresh. However if I am getting a compelling deal on either Tucson or X1, I do not want to miss.

Poor sales numbers of Tucson is one another thing that has got me on a back foot for 2016 model offer.
Old 16th March 2017, 00:54   #52
BHPian

Well it is already mid march, and at this point I would atleast wait for the 4WD Tucson. It will come with that majestic panoramic sunroof and maybe ventilated seats too. Also, would you mind giving me the break up of the discount the dealer is offering you? Is it straight off the ex-showroom?
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 03:35   #53
BHPian

Okay, so I just discovered a very nifty feature. If this car is unlocked using the remote and the door isn't opened in about 10-12 seconds, the car locks itself back.

Can be very handy if the car is accidentally unlocked when the remote is in your pocket without you realising it

Also, obligatory pictures, this time, with the Yeti.

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_0657.jpg

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_0658.jpg

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-img_0659.jpg
ach1lles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 18:28   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Well it is already mid march, and at this point I would atleast wait for the 4WD Tucson. It will come with that majestic panoramic sunroof and maybe ventilated seats too. Also, would you mind giving me the break up of the discount the dealer is offering you? Is it straight off the ex-showroom?
Yes my wait is for AWD now, however dealers have no confirmed date on this launch yet. There won't be panoramic sunroof is one hint I got. Interiors may be black like in Elantra though.

I asked for 2L discount on 2017 model and he mentioned he can try doing that on a 2016 model readily available with dealer. Since I did not show interest on 2016 model, we didn't get into the specifics on discounts.
Another dealer I was I touch was not ready to go over 50k discount even on 2016 model.

Looks like Hyundai is not desperate to sell despite the poor sales chart. It is the dealers trying to get rid of their 2016 stock.
Old 27th March 2017, 14:08   #55
BHPian

Hi Ach1lles, Lovely review. I am a recent owner of the Tucson 2.0 CrDi too. Will post a review soon . Loved the bit about the sun glasses :-) and believe me I had the same issue. Drove me nuts for almost a week with my BP going sky high and cursing Hyundai.
Just one quick point. I drive in Mumbai traffic . Route from Bandra to Chembur and back via the SCLR but I note that the mileage I get is only about 8.7 km/l or max 9.0km/l. Of course its it peak hour rush but I do get stretches of free road too. This bugs me. At first service (1500 kms )I did mention this to the SA but I was told "Sir wait till 10,000 km then car will give good mileage".... I find it hard to believe that i have to wait 10k kms for decent mileage. Any thoughts ???
Regards,
Seacat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 18:20   #56
BHPian

Congrats on your car, Seacat. Which colour did you get? I've done over 5000 kms now and an update here is due. I'll get to that soon.

On you point about the mileage, around 9 kmpl in local traffic sounds about right. I get a combined 11.5 kmpl or thereabouts, in which about half the distance is on the highways, which, if I'm honest, even though they're inter state highways, they still don't offer a drive which can give a higher average speed and mileage per L. Also, I'm mostly in sport mode and constantly braking. I once did go eco for a 100 km stretch and the computer showed that I was going about 17 kmpl :O
Old 11th April 2017, 17:01   #57
BHPian

Quote:
On you point about the mileage, around 9 kmpl in local traffic sounds about right. I get a combined 11.5 kmpl or thereabouts, in which about half the distance is on the highways, which, if I'm honest, even though they're inter state highways, they still don't offer a drive which can give a higher average speed and mileage per L. Also, I'm mostly in sport mode and constantly braking. I once did go eco for a 100 km stretch and the computer showed that I was going about 17 kmpl :O
Hi ach1lles,
Thanks . Colour is Silver. On the topic of fuel, I just finished a drive Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai, Ave speed was 120 kmph on the expressway, ave consumption was 12.5 to 13 kmpl. The car handled well .
A few quick observations ( some may be contradictions);
1. Road noise filters in quite a bit once you cross 100 kmph speed. At higher speeds you would need to talk fairly loudly for rear seat passengers to hear you. The music volume would need to be ramped up to a point it would get distracting, so I had to mute the music at that speed.
2. Decent feedback from steering at high speeds.
3. Occasional spurts of high speeds gave a confident feel.
4. Had to slow down on sharper bends though as felt little unsure on the bends
5. Did not feel like she ran out of breath but I must admit that i had a hard time keeping up with a Fortuner and a BMW on straight stretches, though I was not too too far behind :-)
6. Hard braking tended to cause the car to lose her composure a bit in the sense that she felt like she would swerve. Not sure if I imagined it or actually felt it ...but either way it was not a comfortable feeling !!!

Last edited by Zappo : 11th April 2017 at 19:25. Reason: We do not support speeds beyond the legal limits allowed under law for public roads. All references to actual speeds removed.
Seacat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 17:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, so I just discovered a very nifty feature. If this car is unlocked using the remote and the door isn't opened in about 10-12 seconds, the car locks itself back. Can be very handy if the car is accidentally unlocked when the remote is in your pocket without you realising it
Your Black Tucson looks great! The feature you mentioned is there on my 12 year Elantra, that's nothing new!
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 16:13   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
Hi ach1lles,
Road noise filters in quite a bit once you cross 100 kmph speed. At higher speeds you would need to talk fairly loudly for rear seat passengers to hear you. The music volume would need to be ramped up to a point it would get distracting, so I had to mute the music at that speed.
Yup, that happens on some road surfaces. Mostly, I notice an increase in wind noise around 150, though on some surfaces, or some patches of road there definitely is excessive noise even at lower speeds.

Quote:
Occasional spurts of high speeds gave a confident feel
I was driving on the highway with my brother and as usual we were discussing cars, and at that time we were specifically discussing the rear lights and how I thought the Tucson's could've been better. We were just cruising. Just then an Elantra came about fast, and it felt like that guy was in a hurry. My brother saw the tail lights and wanted a better look. Being the elder one, who was I to refuse him such, er, privilege?

I put the Tucson Sport and off we went. Honestly, even I was surprised to look at the speedo at the point which I did, and promptly came to my senses. The car had not let up even at that speed. Ofcourse we had caught up with the speeding Elantra and saw the lights nicely. Haha.

Quote:
Did not feel like she ran out of breath but I must admit that i had a hard time keeping up with a Fortuner and a BMW on straight stretches, though I was not too too far behind :-)
I can understand the bimmer, though which one was it, but I doubt the Fortuner can even keep up with the Tucson, let alone leave it behind. Infact, I'm fairly certain. Perhaps, unconsciously you were babying the car, as I was, when she was new.

Edit: Do share some pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The feature you mentioned is there on my 12 year Elantra, that's nothing new!
Oops, did not know that. Thanks.

Last edited by ach1lles : 13th April 2017 at 16:18.
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 23:12   #60
BHPian

Okay, so the first problem cropped up recently. The AC. Ironic because my name initials to AC, heheh. Here's the thing. The AC seems to work fine till the accelerator is pressed, but cuts off when it isn't. I noticed this sometime ago but today in stop and go traffic it was blatantly obvious. What could be the reason? Gas, or some software, or something else?

Usually it chills the front of my body so much that I curse Hyundai for not giving ventilated seats in this one.

I have called the service head at the dealership and he said he'll check it out tomorrow. Any pointers here? TIA.

Most Viewed