Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 17:53   #106
BHPian

Alt-Shift

Hi. So this happened: unbeknownst to me, the car got an underside hit which caused the transmission oil to leak. The car was taken to the dealership and by the time it had reached, about 2L (out of a total of 7.6L) had leaked. Funny thing is I never noticed any undulation, nor did I feel anything hit the car, and underside hits are usually noticeable.
They repaired the leak, and refilled the oil, did some other minor repairs, and returned the car.
Problem: gear changes are not smooth anymore. There is a noticeable jerk when shifting from 2-3, specially in eco mode at in-city traffic speeds and acceleration. The jerk is quite noticeable rarely, somewhat noticeable frequently, and unnoticeable sometimes. It feels like the transmission is having trouble letting go of the slot it’s in while upshifting.
This is bothering me because in eco mode I’ve never felt the car change gears, up or down, under normal acceleration.

The jerk is not felt if I accelerate hard-ish.

Problem 2: if I accelerate hard say from 20-60 and let go of the accelerator, there is a noticeable kick-down jerk which feels like the car got “stuck” for a second. This jerk is quite jarring.

For now, the service head has told me that they’ve reached out to Hyundai and will fix up a time for the company advisor to come in and take a look. They’ve also told me that for now I can use the car normally.

Anyone have any idea what this is, and the best way to go about it?

Pictures I received from the dealership:

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-photo20200826151825.jpg

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-photo20200826151828.jpg

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-photo20200826223132.jpg

They told me the impact was probably at highway speed because the oil splashes were found till the rear differential but maybe that could've happened after the impact too? Not sure here either.

Side note: they gave me the new Verna as a loaner. It is a fun little car. Feels really tight, looks good, and maybe it's just that I'm driving a modern sedan after having driven crossovers or SUVs exclusively for a few years, but it just feels so good. This one's diesel, and that's the only thing I don't like about it. Everything else is great, including and specially the chiller seats.
Related note: never, ever buying a car without this feature.
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 13:15   #107
BHPian

Re: Alt-Shift

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Hi- I am planning to either go with Compass or Tucson. Based on your usage any red flags that I should be aware of for Tucson? How's the ground clearance- some sites say its 172mm and some reviews say it is 190mm. Would really appreciate any feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Hi. So this happened: unbeknownst to me, the car got an underside hit which caused the transmission oil to leak. The car was taken to the dealership and by the time it had reached, about 2L (out of a total of 7.6L) had leaked. Funny thing is I never noticed any undulation, nor did I feel anything hit the car, and underside hits are usually noticeable.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th May 2021 at 08:27. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 15th May 2021, 20:09   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
Hi- i am planning to either go with Compass or Tucson. Based on your usage any red flags that i should be aware of for Tucson? How's the ground clearance- some sites say its 172mm and some reviews say it is 190mm. Would really appreciate any feedback.
Ground clearance of Tucson is around 172mm.

No red flags that I’m aware of for the Tucson. Really enjoying the car so far. Waiting for the lockdown to end to go on some drives - haven’t been able to drive the car (or even go out of the house) for more than a month.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 23:28   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
Ground clearance of Tucson is around 172mm.

No red flags that I’m aware of for the Tucson. Really enjoying the car so far. Waiting for the lockdown to end to go on some drives - haven’t been able to drive the car (or even go out of the house) for more than a month.
Thanks for the response. Any issues with the ground clearance? Does it scrape on bad roads?
cheers- stay safe!
Old 17th May 2021, 09:20   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Any issues with the ground clearance? Does it scrape on bad roads?
I have not experienced any problems with the ground clearance - be it in my basement, malls, Bangalore's infamous roads or on some bad highway roads.

Note however, that I am a slow and steady driver and that my response to bad roads or potholes is to slow down and take them at a crawl.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 17:50   #111
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar

Quote:
Note: The Exide battery was delivered by the local Exide dealer, but the spec (90 A) had to be ordered.
Please let me know the part/model number of the Exide battery that you installed. My Tucson's Rocket battery died and I am looking for a replacement battery. Looks like Tucson needs a battery that has a step in its base, but the batteries that I could find don't come with this step. Also, 90Ah isn't available either.
Old 12th July 2021, 18:11   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They repaired the leak, and refilled the oil, did some other minor repairs, and returned the car.
Problem: gear changes are not smooth anymore.
Oops, sorry to hear about this. So what's the update on this? Did they replace the gearbox? And did insurance cover it?
Old 23rd August 2021, 18:53   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Based on your usage any red flags that I should be aware of for Tucson?
In near 5 years of usage, no real red flags have appeared. This is a solid car and I still love how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Please let me know the part/model number of the Exide battery that you installed.
Hey, away from the car at the moment. Will check it and update you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Oops, sorry to hear about this. So what's the update on this? Did they replace the gearbox? And did insurance cover it?
No, the damage was minor enough to just warrant a repair of the crack and replacement of the gear oil.
It's been a while and the car works fine.
The jerks etc. are absent after the gear oil was replaced a second time.

------------------------------------

A few more problems:

1. The request sensor button for the driver side door went missing. It either fell off, which, unlikely, or was stolen, or taken off for something, which is more likely. Hyundai does not have a button part separately, and the entire assembly from inside needed to be replaced. Cost: Approx 8500. Yikes.

2. The window switches are acting funny. The passenger front stops working intermittently, like the glass wouldn't respond at all, both from the passenger side and driver side, which makes me think the problem is not of the switch itself. The driver side with one-touch functionality does something else. While going up the glass will reverse course somewhere in the middle of its trajectory and return back down. Or the one-touch would simply not work. This again is intermittent. Did get it checked when the car was in for service let month and they claimed to have rectified it by tightening some screw. The problem remains.

3. I too got the recall letter. Will make an appointment to get both the recall issue and the window switch behaviour corrected.

4. The car needs new tyres now, and 235/55/18 aren't available in and around Delhi. Looking for P4ST. Primary requirements are silence and comfort, so other tyres that fit this requirement would work too, but as I understand, the P4STs are a perfect fit for these requirements, and is a great tyre otherwise too.
Any pointers for this would be helpful.

Last edited by ach1lles : 23rd August 2021 at 18:57.
ach1lles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 22:30   #114
BHPian

Quote:
3. I too got the recall letter. Will make an appointment to get both the recall issue and the window switch behaviour corrected.
Hi,

Was wondering if there is any info on manufacturing dates of the car for the recall. Mine is a 2018 Feb 4wd and I haven’t received the letter yet. Was it a physical letter or email that you received?

Thanks
Bharathan
Old 1st September 2021, 15:00   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post
Was it a physical letter or email that you received?
Speaking for myself, it was a physical letter. Even if you didn’t get it - you can check with the service centre. It’s a fuse replacement and a software update. If they have the fuse in stock, it’s a 15 minute job.
Old 16th May 2023, 14:44   #116

I know this is an old thread, but since the topic is the same I’m posting here: I have a 2021 Tucson GLS. Bought just after Covid lockdown opened, just under two years ago. No serious issues till now, except yesterday, all of a sudden, it refused to start. It wasn’t as if it had been standing for some time: I had driven about 35km, reached home, stopped the car to unload some stuff… and then tried to restart to no avail. The key couldn’t be recognized.

This was around midnight, called RSA, which came from far away but did come, with a battery. Jump started the car just fine, tried to charge the battery for 15-20 mins but it was totally dead.

The next day, called RSA again to have the car towed to ASS. They checked and said it was a dead battery, but since it was under 2 years it would be replaced FOC. My question, however, is how can the battery so suddenly die, so much do that even the dash lights were flickering and nothing electromechanical was working?

The ASS guy said this is a known issue in Tucson and I should keep an eye on the battery (new one) parameters after about two years. Of course the next time around it will cost me… even though I have a 5-year extended warranty as battery is not covered.

Looks like others in this forum have also experienced this issue… is there any way to predict/preempt this kind of failure?

Otherwise I love the car, and Hyundai service too.
Old 24th May 2023, 12:09   #117
BHPian

Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi: Random changes in infotainment/head-unit system

I have a manual-tranny diesel Tucson (2017 model), having about 32K kms. Since the past 1 month, its infotainment/head-unit system is behaving very oddly. On it's own it randomly changes channels, randomly switches from GPS to other modes, etc. It has rendered the ICE unit pretty much useless!

Any idea how to resolve?

The below website describes pretty much the exact same symptoms, but no solutions:

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threa....339066/page-4

Last edited by vharihar : 24th May 2023 at 12:10.
Old 26th June 2023, 15:53   #118
BHPian

Squeaky (a mouse) did a good number on my 2017 model.

The dash is lit up like a Christmas tree. Manual gear shifts were down along with auto hold and cruise control.
Hyundai Tucson 2.0L CRDi GLS - Thunder Black Boom Shankar-dashboard.jpeg

At the local garage, this next image was taken
Attachment 2468442

At least it was only one. Suppose this will be an expensive bit to replace (ABS sensor on the front passenger wheel). Any idea is this is available as a single piece or a kit from Hyundai?

Last edited by trailsndirt : 26th June 2023 at 15:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks