Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2020, 07:56   #46
BHPian

Re: Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags.singh View Post
Any comparison between the BS6 versions of both. I know the diesel BS6 is now 2.4 l instead of 2.8 and 20 ps less. Not sure if the power of the petrol one has reduced too.

Dealer is actively discouraging buying a petrol variant citing low mileage, lower resale value and long (60 days) waiting period.
Dealers always discourage petrol variant because of the following:
1)They dont have a TD vehicle.
2)Petrol variant is made on order so the waiting time is more,thus they would get their earnings slower.Also if you cancel booking , they will be stuck with the vehicle for some time as petrol variant sells in lesser number.

Actually, petrol is altogether a different animal, much more silent, refined and lower NVH than the diesel one.The pickup is a little lower than diesel due to little lower torque values but the refinement. Lower maintenance cost , lower upfront cost and 15yr life instead of 10yrs more than justifies the petrol for me(for fast overtakes you have the power mode).The mileage of 10-11 in city and 12-13 on highway is also not that bad for a big bore petrol.(ps: I havent driven the 2.4 diesel automatic so cant say about the pickup of the present diesel variant.My comparison of the pickup is between 2.8 diesel auto and 2.7 petrol auto)

Last edited by Aditya : 5th October 2020 at 06:29. Reason: Typo
caraholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 16:21   #47

Hi Caraholic/ Turbanator,

I have been thinking of buying a petrol GX model of the crysta.

Could either of you update here the service intervals/ spare part costs/ availability of service & other spares of the 2.7lit engined petrol crysta.

Old 7th October 2020, 17:30   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by docenthu View Post

Could either of you update here the service intervals/ spare part costs/ availability of service & other spares of the 2.7lit engined petrol crysta.

Zero Spares till date as with any other Toyota. Only schedule services
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 16:26   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docenthu View Post
Hi Caraholic/ Turbanator,

The following parts were changed apart from regular service:
1) A plastic part which holds the stepney.It had got stuck because the tire shop mechenic didnt fix it properly while raising the stepney after checking air pressure in it and broke when tried to get unstuck.
2) There was a recall from.Toyota for a certain batch of Petrol crystas for checking and replacing the fuel pump.I deferred going for the same and one day when I finally decided to go, the car didnt start.The car was towed on a Flat bed and the fuel pump and some seals changed.
All this was complimentary by Toyota so no expense for me.
caraholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 18:53   #50
BHPian

Booked the ZX AT Petrol today and now the 90 days wait starts.
silverknight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 21:31   #51
BHPian

I am confused between either taking a petrol AT or diesel AT. I am buying this car strictly for highway travels, which on an average is about 500 kms a month. What would be the mileage difference between petrol AT and diesel AT, where the route I travel requires me to drive at around 50kmph for about 100 kilometers with stop and go traffic, 80kmph for another 100 kilometers with multiple slow-downs and 100+kmph all clear traffic for the rest?

And yes, the dealer is literally pleading with me not to take petrol car.
gopalnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 15:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
I am confused between either taking a petrol AT or diesel AT. I am buying this car strictly for highway travels, which on an average is about 500 kms a month. What would be the mileage difference between petrol AT and diesel AT, where the route I travel requires me to drive at around 50kmph for about 100 kilometers with stop and go traffic, 80kmph for another 100 kilometers with multiple slow-downs and 100+kmph all clear traffic for the rest?

I think where you would take a hit is with the re-sale value rather than running costs (as this would be for highway drives). I use a petrol MUV for my highway usage exactly for this reason (~5-6k km running per year) - but then it is the Ertiga which might hold its value a bit better than the mighty Innova in its petrol avatar.
Old 5th February 2021, 21:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:

All the dealers do that, I have gone through it and currently waiting for my Petrol Innova to be delivered by 1st week of March. If monthly running is less than 1k it totally makes sense for petrol version. You pay INR 2.5 lacs upfront more for ZX diesel which you can save and pay for higher cost of petrol and lesser mileage. And you get refinement of a petrol car which is unmatched. I haven' take test drive or even sat in a petrol car. But have a friend who had both petrol as well as 2.8L diesel who convinced about going for petrol. Also all the reviews and replies from fellow bhpian's like Turbanator, VKumar helped making the decision. Plus this 2.7L is used by Hilux, a pickup truck if it is good enough for it I am sure it will be good enough for a family car.

Of course, this might not work if you are looking for resale after say 5 years. I bought the car for long term 10+ yrs.

Last edited by silverknight : 5th February 2021 at 21:42. Reason: Missed an important piece of information
silverknight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 03:52   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am confused between either taking a petrol AT or diesel AT. I am buying this car strictly for highway travel. What would be the mileage difference between petrol AT and diesel AT, where the route I travel requires me to drive at around 50kmph for about 100 kilometers with stop and go traffic.
There is definitely a difference on the sound and vibrations but in your use case scenario, Diesel does look better to me. Real world difference in mileage of Petrol and Diesel will vary greatly on how you drive. Higher speeds and more crowded traffic will surely hit Petrol more, expect around 7-8 kmpl in your case. On diesel, it should be 12 plus on the 2,4.

Petrol is recommended for people who have less driving or they don’t bother with the difference. As a family car, we have a Petrol but for company works, we have multiple Diesel Innova’s. One of my 2012/13 Petrol has done 30 k and the other 2017 less than 10 k whereas Diesel ones from 2019 have done over 60 k.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 13:04   #55
BHPian

Greetings!

I am a new member and this is my first post .

This thread (and BHP Forums in general) is an absolute goldmine, and both my hatchbacks (VW Polo GT TSI & Honda Jazz) were purchased after researching through multiple reviews/threads here.

Anyway, I booked a Crysta Petrol GX AT a week ago in Bangalore. This will replace my existing (second hand) 2005 Innova 2.5V (Diesel) which has and continues to serve me well (25K KM driven in 7+yrs) and is in top condition.

Reason for change: The main reason for the upgrade/purchase is that both I and my wife have of late started preferring AT (much less fatigue compared to MT). If my current Innova was AT, I most likely wouldn't have made this decision.

Use case: We use the current Innova as a family car mostly when we drive out of town (approx 4K KM/yr). I also use it often to load up our bikes (read cycles) and drive out of city limits to ride.

The new Innova Crysta was the automatic choice as I don't see any other MPV with the carrying capacity of 4 passengers + 3 cycles + luggage. The only question was the GX or the ZX.

After many hours of researching on this forum and videos on YouTube, took a test drive a few weeks ago of the new 2.4ZX Crysta (only TD car available). Compared to my current Innova (2015), the first thing that you realize is the quiet(er) cabin and higher refinement even of the Diesel engine. The short TD was very smooth with the dealer explaining most of the features. A week later I decided to go for the GX variant and made the booking.

Reason for choosing Petrol AT over Diesel AT: My driving mileage of 350-400K/month, quieter cabin/low noise levels, and the ~2L price difference can easily fuel the car for the first few years.

Reason for GX Petrol over ZX Petrol: the hefty ~6L price difference. The GX has most of the needed features that the ZX has, and all one needs to do is spend some money to add some bling and the GX is almost up there with the ZX (except auto AC and auto Stop/Start which I can easily live without).

Thanks again to all the reviewers on this thread who have shared their experiences which helped make my decision. Now the long wait for delivery starts!
vraned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 20:38   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraned View Post
Anyway, I booked a Crysta Petrol GX AT a week ago in Bangalore. This will replace my existing (second hand) 2005 Innova 2.5V (Diesel) which has and continues to serve me well (25K KM driven in 7+yrs) and is in top condition.
Hey vraned, Welcome to the forum and thanks a lot for your first post. I am also in Bangalore and very interested in the Petrol Innova as a long term alternative. 3 years back when I was in the same situation, I picked up the Hexa. Now my lease is coming up for a renewal and I have only done 25K on my Hexa so thinking of a petrol alternative and thats my yearly run. Unfortunately Dealer doesn’t have a TD vehicle so have to rely on the user feedback. Can you share some more updates once you have got your vehicle delivered and used for a few kms ?

Some more insight will be very helpful. I don’t agree to buying for a resale argument, we should buy for keeps. However I will go for the ZX most probably.
Old 11th February 2021, 20:05   #57
BHPian

Hi Swarnava, i am in same situation but in NCR. Took Hexa in 2017 through company lease and now looking at other options as lease ends on 31st March.
I am also looking at Petrol Innova Auto but came across XL6 petrol automatic. It does 80-90% of the job at about half the price.
EMI will be much lower as well.
Yet to decide..
Old 14th February 2021, 16:03   #58
BHPian

Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT

Did a test drive of ZX AT petrol today. The car although looks big from outside, its very easy and light to drive. Rear suspension is a bit bouncy compared to Tata Hexa that i currently own.
Captain seats in first and second row are very good and comfortable. Third row is good for two. If someone sits in mid of third row, the seatbelt buckles do hit the back. I think Toyota should get it rebadged as six seater, as it is very suitable for six people. Not seven. The bench version will then be 2+3+2 as proper 7seater.
Does anyone know why Toyota has branded Innova with one more seat that it actually has?
Noticed that even top variant does not have DRL or any LED front or rear lights. Only fog lamps are LED.
Android Auto and Apple carplay are through wire, like Maruti. No wireless. Mileage in city will be around 8kmpl.
Very few charging points. Nothing in third row.
Sales person was honest about all aspects. He said main selling model is GX auto for individual buyers as all essentials are covered.

5L difference is GX and ZX is nowhere felt.
Toyota sells only for quality, service and stronger built.
GX auto petrol is a good 17.62 L ex showroom.

Now, XL6 top variant auto is 11.6 L ex showroom, and had all bells and whistles. Its slightly smaller than Innova from outside but inside space is comparable. Mileage is about 12-14kmpl in city. But, built quality is light 1100-1200kgs compared to 1800kgs Innova. Innova is definitely safer in terms of crash etc and looks to be built to last 15years.

Question: should we put 6Lakhs more on Innova compared to XL6 ? Please suggest.

Last edited by Abhishek_Garg : 14th February 2021 at 16:05.
Old 14th February 2021, 16:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek_Garg View Post
Did a test drive of ZX AT petrol today. The car although looks big from outside, its very easy and light to drive. Rear suspension is a bit bouncy compared to Tata Hexa that i currently own.
Captain seats in first and second row are very good and comfortable. Third row is good for two. If someone sits in mid of third row, the seatbelt buckles do hit the back. I think Toyota should get it rebadged as six seater, as it is very suitable for six people. Not seven. The bench version will then be 2+3+2 as proper 7seater.
Does anyone know why Toyota has branded Innova with one more seat that it actually has?
Noticed that even top variant does not have DRL or any LED front or rear lights. Only fog lamps are LED.
Android Auto and Apple carplay are through wire, like Maruti. No wireless. Mileage in city will be around 8kmpl.
Very few charging points. Nothing in third row.
Sales person was honest about all aspects. He said main selling model is GX auto for individual buyers as all essentials are covered.

5L difference is GX and ZX is nowhere felt.
Toyota sells only for quality, service and stronger built.

Now, XL6 top variant auto is 11.6 L ex showroom, and had all bells and whistles. Its slightly smaller than Innova from outside but inside space is comparable. Mileage is about 12-14kmpl in city. But, built quality is light 1100-1200kgs compared to 1800kgs Innova. Innova is definitely safer in terms of crash etc and looks to be built to last 15years.

Any given day. The Innova is well built, has adequate features & is tried and tested. The 2.7L + AT combo has been in use since ages and was available internationally on the old Innova too. Under full load, the performance of the Innova would be much better and the FE won’t be any different from the XL6. If budget isn’t an issue, the Crysta Petrol AT makes a very good package. In the long run, the upkeep cost will be definitely lower than the Ertiga based XL6.
Old 14th February 2021, 18:38   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek_Garg View Post
Did a test drive of ZX AT petrol today.

I have extensive experience with the XL6 Automatic as it is my father's primary car and I have driven it quite extensively on every possible road condition that our country has to offer (expressways/hills/no-roads... You name it). I have not driven the Crysta but have travelled extensively in it too (again the terrains range from broken roads of Ladakh to the highways of Rajasthan). With that in mind, my views are as follows.

1.) The Crysta is clearly a segment (or a segment and a half) above the XL6. That will reflect in everything in the car. Be it the materials used (inside/outside) or the engine etc.

2.) The XL6 can go toe to toe with the Crysta in terms of seating comfort in the first 2 rows. I have driven the XL6 900kms in a single day without any apparent fatigue. There nothing between them. Some people do think the Captain Seats in Crysta are wider but, in my experience, that does not affect the comfort offered. The third row of the XL6 has bouncy character to it yet the space offered is adequate (more than the Hector Plus IIRC). Maybe a tad less than the Crysta. Should be fine for adults less than 175cm tall for 3-4 hours.

3.) The XL6 Automatic offers fantastic FE on the highway if driven sedately between 90-100kmph. I have often seen the car deliver more than 20kmpl on a tankful to tankful basis. In City, the FE depends on the traffic conditions. I have seen figures as low as 4-5kmpl in Central Delhi gridlocks. However, in a free flowing traffic scenario, expect 11-14kmpl. I also don't understand the derision that fellow forum members reserve for the 4 speed TC offered on the XL6 (or any other Maruti car). It is very smooth and gets the job done in an excellent manner in any use-case a sedate driver (whom Maruti Cars are targeted at) might throw at it. I simply love it.

4.) The Crysta has a ladder-frame chassis so it is bound to be heavier. Still, 600 kg extra mass can prove to be a boon as well as a bane depending on the situation. Though the XL6 should be rated 3 star by the GNCAP, we don't know anything about the Crysta. My personal belief is that the Crysta is safer.

So, if money is not an object, you should go with the Crysta without any second thought. The lesser FE and a bit tricky ingress/egress is the only real disadvantages of the Crysta vis-a-vis the XL6.

As for the XL6, built to a cost is how I would define it after living with it for almost 13000kms in 11 months (the edge of the hornpad flexes dangerously if you apply a bit of pressure with your thumbs). I was initially opposed to my parents getting the XL6 (what with Maruti tincan yada....yada....). However, I have come to appreciate the sheer value that this car offers at the price point it is sold at. Yes, it is a tin can with only a 3 star safey rating and Maruti grade plastics in the interior. That is the only drawback that the car possesses. If you can learn to live with that, then it is not a bad choice at all.

Please feel free to ask any doubts you might have regarding the XL6 Automatic. Hope I could prove to be of some help.

P.S: The LED headlights on the XL6 are overrated. God forbid if you are ever out on an unlit tarred road (without lane markers) on a rainy night, you will effectively be blind.

P.P.S: Do excuse my incoherent writing style. I am working to improve on this aspect.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks