Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 15:21   #106
BHPian

Re: Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Test drove the vehicle today, automatic variant. My frame of reference is sedans on which I have experience. Planned the route over large craters, single lane and highway driving.
Hi One, Thanks for sharing your review. I have few questions if you don't mind answering:
  1. Does The 'heavy steering' at low speed depend upon which mode you are on Eco/Power?
  2. Is the steering so heavy that it will be tiresome if long hours are spent at low speeds?
  3. When did the car feel more noisy? Overall driving or only while overtaking or sudden acceleration?
  4. Did you try the manual mode (-+). If yes, was the experience different?
  5. How many were onboard when you test drove? I am specifically looking for experience of passengers on the last row on bumps and potholes.
  6. How did the car feel at triple speed digits?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th August 2021, 16:14   #107
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achintatri View Post
Hi One, Thanks for sharing your review. I have few questions if you don't mind answering:
  1. Does The 'heavy steering' at low speed depend upon which mode you are on Eco/Power?
  2. Is the steering so heavy that it will be tiresome if long hours are spent at low speeds?
  3. When did the car feel more noisy? Overall driving or only while overtaking or sudden acceleration?
  4. Did you try the manual mode (-+). If yes, was the experience different?
  5. How many were onboard when you test drove? I am specifically looking for experience of passengers on the last row on bumps and potholes.
  6. How did the car feel at triple speed digits?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks in advance.
My responses are based on the single TD I did:
1. No it didn't, was same throughout. If there was a change, I didn't notice it.
2. It was extremely uncomfortable, the arm didn't feel comfortable even in the around 40 minutes of TD. I didn't have the same issue in TD of the diesel so I am not sure if this was an issue with the TD vehicle. Unfortunately, not too many options for TD of a petrol and friends around don't have it. So can't be sure if this was a TD vehicle issue or a general issue. The driver who accompanied the vehicle said this was normal but I don't think it can be- the Harrier steering which is heavy at parking speeds didn't feel as heavy as this. Hopefully folks here using the car can give a better idea.
3. Overall driving as well as when trying to accelerate. Overtaking was not the best- I drove a Honda City CVT 5th Gen for around 500kms last week. If I had to make a quick overtake, I could slot in S mode and make a quick pass. Here, upto certain speeds of 30-40, the Power mode just didn't respond as fast and because it was slower to respond, my confidence in quick overtakes was accordingly lesser.
4. Didn't try the manual mode except for a few minutes. I was actually testing my findings in different ways in auto mode so missed this in the brief drive I took.
5. We had only 4 people in the TD. When I sat in the third row, I sat diagonally opposite to the person in the second row and asked that the car be taken over the road craters. I think though the car moved a lot more vertically as compared to the City I mentioned above (over the same craters), I think I felt less of the road on my bums as compared to the City even though horizontal movement was lot more in the Crysta. Also could take the craters at higher speeds in the Crysta.
6. Couldn't take the car at three digits, never found a stretch where I felt comfortable to increase speeds to those levels.

I think it might be worth getting those queries answered by existing owners as well, especially the steering and ride quality parts. Infact if anyone could chime in, would be helpful.
One is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 10:45   #108
BHPian

The salesperson mentioned that Petrol AT ZX (or indeed any trim)does not have the "heat-reflecting window" that the Diesel ZX trim has....which goes a long way in keeping the cabin cooler in summer. I checked the brochure, and lo and behold, it is true- tucked away in a discreet corner.

Question- how do you find the cabin in the Petrol Innova Crysta? Does it get hot? What are the alternatives- can we put a heat-resistant fully transparent 3M film. I had done that for my Indica many years ago.
Old 26th November 2021, 11:53   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
It still has not launched right? Any idea if this is in the horizon anytime soon?
Old 7th March 2022, 16:44   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraned View Post
ps - In other news, got the delivery of my GX Petrol AT y'day. Review and pics to follow
which Ravindu Toyota did you engage with? Did you have a chance to test drive the petrol AT before making the purchase?

I am in the market for one now.
Old 7th March 2022, 18:13   #111
BHPian

The one in Victoria Layout. They didn't have a Petrol AT test drive vehicle (I don't think anyone has). I just went by reviews and my research.

Have had this for almost a year now. Done 3K KMs. No issues so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
which Ravindu Toyota did you engage with? Did you have a chance to test drive the petrol AT before making the purchase?

I am in the market for one now.
vraned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 20:55   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraned View Post
The one in Victoria Layout. They didn't have a Petrol AT test drive vehicle (I don't think anyone has)
Thank you. I heard the same, that no petrol vehicle is available for test drive. Petrol ATs are supposedly made to order. Booking amount is Rs 50K and no option to cancel either.
How long was your entire wait period. I am being told 60 days.
Old 8th March 2022, 11:01   #113
BHPian

Yes, they are made to order. Be prepared for a waiting period of 2 months, although sometimes they may surprise you in 45days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
Thank you. I heard the same, that no petrol vehicle is available for test drive. Petrol ATs are supposedly made to order. Booking amount is Rs 50K and no option to cancel either.
How long was your entire wait period. I am being told 60 days.
Old 11th March 2022, 20:40   #114
Team-BHP Support

I got a chance to travel/ drive our Petrol model after a while. Usually, my mother uses it and prefers it over anything else. I went to Ludhiana in the morning and sat in the rear. Very different (for better) experience than I had recently in a Taxi Innova in Bhopal. No noise and felt suspension on ours is much better for some reason. It might be due to the limited mileage on ours vs the commercial used one.

Our driver had to go somewhere urgently on return, so I got the car back to Chandigarh. As far I recollect, the engine sound is even less than what was originally, and the car is super silent. I drove with a light foot and got an average of about 13 Kmpl. More than 70% of it was on a cruise at 90 Kmph. Ludhiana- Chandigarh highway is currently one of the best in this region.

Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-whatsapp-image-20220311-8.39.04-pm.jpeg

I also checked for the cracks on the steering and dash, and I am glad to report no visible signs on ours. Again, it can be due to limited use ( 10,000 Km, 2017 MY)

Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-whatsapp-image-20220311-8.38.45-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th March 2022 at 20:47.
Turbanator is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 23:48   #115
BHPian

We have a 2019 2.7 Petrol Automatic which is my dad's daily drive.

Being a sedate driver, he manages to get 8-10kmpl in Delhi Traffic and around 11-13kmpl on highways (without cruise control).

I think the Innova petrol surely is a gas guzzler but when driven carefully and smoothly, it can get you the best FE. Just to mention our Corolla Altis 2019 CVT Petrol (also a daily drive) returns 14kmpl (30% highway + 70% city).
adigup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 17:03   #116
BHPian

I own a 2018 2.7 Petrol Gx AT and am very happy with the car.

The Aircon unit in my car is a chiller.I've driven the car for 17k kms in stop go delhi traffic in 49 degrees outside temperture,highways,hills and elsewhere and have never faced any cooling issues.

My friend has recently bought the same car ie 2.7 Petrol Gx AT 2021 in its BS 6 avataar.

He is facing Aircon compressor tripping and loss of cooling issue when the car is on idle/parked.
As per his experience, the compressor switches on when the accelerator is pressed.

He also said that when in evening the outside temperature is below 40 Deg C,the compressor dosen't trip at idle.

The ASS guys have changed the compressor,expansion valve and AC clutch but that hasn't resolve the issue.

Now they say that this issue is because this is a BS6 variant and has sensors which trip Aircon at lower RPM's i.e. when idling.

Has anyone owning a BS6 Petrol faced this issue?

Request to share experience and resolution if any.

Last edited by caraholic : 20th May 2022 at 17:29.
Old 24th May 2022, 14:39   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Again, it can be due to limited use ( 10,000 Km, 2017 MY)
I'm pretty much in the same boat as yours. My Ignis Zeta petrol manual will be turning 4 in June this year but it has clocked only 9.4 kms on the odo so far all thanks to 2 years of WFH and also coz my office is just 2 kms away. Besides, during the first lockdown in 2020, the car was parked for almost an entire month as fuel was in reserve and no update on when fuel would be available for public.

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th May 2022 at 15:26. Reason: Fixed Quote.
Old 29th May 2022, 16:21   #118
BHPian

Like Turbanator, I got my hands on our Innova Crysta 2.7 ZX AT.

The Innova is my dad's daily drive and he absolutely loves it. It's a February 2019 manufactured and registered car (it replaced our May 2013 Innova 2.5 Vx).
As of today, our Innova Crysta's (referred as Innova in the rest of the post) odo stands at 34,3xx kms, which means yearly average of 11,xxx kms (not to forget the multiple lockdowns). My dad manages to do around 1,200 kms a month in the Innova, and I manage to get my hands on it once in two weeks.

It's quite clear that the engine has a very sporty sound, and picks up pace in no time. In the early days, I remember telling the driver at home that I don't need the stereo and I could just listen to the car's engine during the drives. It's a bliss to drive this car because it's very easy to know and judge the sides. It's very effortless and has true Toyota / Innova characteristics. My dad who is lowkey always worried about the fuel efficiency, usually prefers driving in Eco mode with MID showing figures around 8.5 / 9 kmpl at least. In winters, I have seen the car showing a minimum of 9.5 kmpl in Delhi traffic. Take it on the highway and the figures just go up by 0.5 - 2 kmpl (close to 10 - 12 kmpl), when topped up from a COCO and driven with cruise control on and a little AC, expect figures close to 13 kmpl.

Until a couple days back, I had only driven it in the city and less (or just once) on the highways, where I managed to get 7-9 kmpl according to the MID (with Eco and normal mode). I just feel the engine sound and the push is so good, that I floor it a lot of times on empty stretches. On highways, I have seen figures of 12.5 - 13 kmpl.

Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-photo20210721102032.jpg
Last year in July, I took this picture on a highway when the car had done 20,500 kms.

Recently, I did a trip from Delhi to Vrindavan (went there with family after 4 years) and back in one day (went via Gurgaon so took the western peripheral expressway) and the entire trip was close to 350 kms in all. I drove all the time (usually my dad prefers to take the wheel mid-way). With 4 on-board and AC on all the time, the weather wasn't great - there was storm and rain on our way, and I managed to get close to 10.8 kmpl at max., as I was driving in Normal mode and with my foot slightly heavy on the accelerator pedal at almost all times. For most of the journey, the car was doing 90-95 kmph and while our time at the western peripheral expressway the car was doing 110-120 kmph throughout.

Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-img_4445.jpg
Managed to get this picture after reaching home (there was a little bit of traffic on the way back, hence, the drop in mileage figures)

I usually take our Corolla Altis 1.8 VL CVT 2019 for all the trips (when only 2 people have to go) and manage to fetch 16-17 kmpl keeping the speed close to 90 - 120 kmph most of the times. Taking the Innova was definitely a good experience, and I am actually surprised to see 10 kmpl + figures on the MID. 100 kmph is seen below 2,000 rpm which is absolutely amazing. Our Innova is due for it's major service, let's see how it goes. A friend also has a 2.8 ZX which I have driven, which is definitely a gem to drive but the petrol feels more fun to drive. Last point that I would like to add, my friends 2.7 V Manual doesn't give more than 9.8 kmpl on highways and 7 kmpl in city, probably because of lack of 6th gear.

Signing off with some pictures of my dad's priced possession covered in dirt.
Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-img_3143.jpg
Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-img_3145.jpg

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th May 2022 at 16:27. Reason: Removed mention of illegal highway speeds.
adigup is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 04:59   #119
Team-BHP Support

I usually say that Toyota's don't break and rarely when they are sitting, but it appears exceptions can be there.

Our Petrol Innova is not in use, and yesterday, when the driver went home to start, he found some fuel leaking. He took the car to the dealership and found that the oil pipe (high-pressure side) had a small leak. Dealership won't have stock and had to get from Thailand in around two weeks. It will cost around Rs 3000. Given the risks involved, I asked my driver to see if he could get something done locally, like a patch.

Luckily he found a pipe in the local market and rectified the issue. Shall d keep this pipe or order a newer Toyota part, any clue on what can be the reason for such a hole?

Original Toyota pipe with a small pinhole

Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-whatsapp-image-20220701-4.37.06-pm.jpeg

Aftermarket pipe.

Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-whatsapp-image-20220701-4.42.57-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd July 2022 at 05:02.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 05:45   #120
BHPian

Recently I drove my Petrol automatic Crysta from Delhi to Mohali,about 250 kms and got a mileage of 14.6 kmpl,two.people on board and AC staying on all the time(only the front AC was used as we were 2 on board)
We started early at 5am to escape traffic from Delhi bypass to sonipat.The speed did not cross 90 kmph,staying between 80 and 90 kmph on most open stretches and driven with light foot.We we able to complete the 250 kms journey in 4.5 hrs(It usually takes 6 plus hrs if we start at later hours of the day) including a 25 minutes tea break .
The only difference that I made this time was putting 36psi nitrogen in tires, instead on 35 psi which I used to do earlier.

Last edited by caraholic : 10th July 2022 at 05:49.
caraholic is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed