Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 13:00   #16
BHPian

re: The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
Congratulations on new purchase , car looks great all around , steering wheel cover is not matching the great look of car, may be I am wrong but just thought of expressing it .
Thanks buddy! I agree with you. I too wanted something more plain tbh and just provided a little bit of protection without adding much heft or thickness but wasn't able to find one. Will look around and go for a better one if I find it. Headed to Europe later this month so might pick up something from there if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Congratulations Sandeep,

Welcome to the 1.8 tsi gang.
Thank you Nilesh I agree, it turns around quite a few heads everyday and the Magic Black is indeed something very special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeast View Post
Awesome choice and many congratulations for your black panther! Looking forward for your driving experience of your panther in Kerala!
Thank you. Shall post more details about my travels very soon. The trip to Kerala was only to Ottapalam and back after a day so wasn't much of an adventure. But hopefully, there will be many more to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverabhi View Post
Congratulations Sandeep!!!

The pics are awesome. Could you please post some pic of the paddle shifters?
Thank you so much dude. Yes definitely, the car makes your drives less stressful even over long distances and in the city too. Will take photos of the paddle shifters and add them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats sandeep on your latest acquisition and it looks FAB
I love the Polo too and I had gotten the Vento because of the extra luggage room that I wanted. But also because I like sedans a lot The Polo GT is a pocket rocket really. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Finally the review is up!

Congrats once again Sandeep! For everyone's convenience, can you please list out what all you got as part of the essential kit? I think it may be a dealer thing cause I was not offered any such kit. Even then i had separately chosen the OE rubber mats, door sill protectors and the front mud flaps.

PS- i suffer from the volume/power button ocd as well. So i use only the steering controls to change volume!

Drive Safe!
Rohan
Thanks a lot Rohan! Yes makes sense to mention what I got from them.

Here are the things that I got with the essentials kit:
Mud Flaps (Front+Rear)
Rubber Floor Mats (Front+Rear+Boot)
Skoda Plush Cushions (Beige)
Garbage Can
Door Sill Protectors (Plastic)

Last edited by sandeepsarma : 8th February 2017 at 13:02.
sandeepsarma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 15:42   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Good stuff! Congratulations and welcome to the Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde club :-)
Some random scribbles:

1. Sack your car wash fellow NOW! He will trash the shine within a week.

2. Small correction on the rear mud-flaps - they come standard on the Octavia. However the front set is chargeable at around 800 bucks.

3. Buy a key cover like this: http://www.amazon.in/KMH-Silicone-Ke...avia+key+cover Looks good and will cushion the key - each key is 10k+

4.Buy a Gummi Pflege Stift for the inevitable door beading squeaks - https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9148.../dp/B004B8GTQG

5. If you find classy rear side window shades matching the rear screen one, post the source on your thread!

6. Watch that hatch on low ceiling parking bays (like at 1MG Mall) and the automated metal ones. It is very aggressive in its opening action and can easily bang quite badly on top! The UK/EU Octavia comes with the electric tailgate that you can program to open - don't think there is a mechanical equivalent on the India-spec ones.

7. There are many types of paddle shift extensions also available - these make it easier to actually operate rather than those smallish squares: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ABS-...c-0c3ea7a52b5c

8. Reminder to sack that car wash fellow :-)

9. Maybe too late now after driving more than 1.5k km+, but you could still change to Michelin P3STs or Conti CPCs!
Attached Thumbnails
The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-img_20150318_174536.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th February 2017 at 15:53. Reason: URL fixing
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 15:53   #18
BANNED

For sure. These engines are built for high octane fuel. Give it a shot for two tanks. Either BP speed 97 or HP poWer 99. Preferably the latter. You'll love it. And drive it like you stole it after filling her up with premium gas. Looking forward to you reporting back after giving it a shot.
Old 8th February 2017, 15:57   #19

Congratulations Sandeep, your car is an absolute Beauty. The TSI engine is quite simply one of the best petrol engines available in India currently. When coupled with the DSG box, which is quite simply one of the best gearboxes in the World, the effect is sublime!

BTW, your opening shot is now my wallpaper! It keeps reminding me of my goals a couple of years down the line!
SSarkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 17:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Some random scribbles:

Err.. that's the first thing I did when I picked up my Octi That chap was thinking, now he can charge me more for washing the car, considering "sahab ne abhi laaaambi gaadi lee hain"

His dream got shattered it seems..
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 17:20   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on your black panther Sandeep! The Octy looks gorgeous in black!

My dad drives a Superb 1.8 TSi DSG; I can only imagine how well the Octy performs with that engine (considering the lighter kerb-weight and extra horses).

I highly recommend that you to take this baby on an interstate road-trip, to experience her true potential. I had the pleasure of taking our Superb on a road-trip from Mumbai to Kerala and back (via Bangalore). It was one of my best road-trips ever!

Wish you a very safe, proud and joyful ownership!
Nair.V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 17:47   #22
BHPian

[quote=itwasntme;4142285]

8. Reminder to sack that car wash fellow :-)

Side effects of buying this Black Panther! Poor guy!
Old 8th February 2017, 20:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thank you

1. & 8. He's not here ATM. Has gone to his native for his niece's wedding. I have gotten stuff from 3M for cleaning. Micro fiber cloth, solution etc. Will ask him to use that. I know it'll get screwed still but will reduce the rate I guess. Will tell him to take extra caution. Dust gets accumulated really fast here which I still maybe able to clean but dirt, bird poo etc is tough without someone to clean as I don't really get time to clean the car myself.

2. Didn't know that. Thank you. So then I've gotten just the front mud flaps free as part of the essentials kit.

3. Great stuff. Already ordered it from Amazon. Thanks for the link. I felt so bad when I dropped and scraped my Vento key. This should help prevent that. What about the cover gathering dust though? Is it prone to it? Worst case I guess can just wash it.

4. So the doors do creak eventually eh. Around when did this happen for you and how can this be used to help? Any alternatives locally?

5. Seen a few on Amazon. Might try one out soon. Will keep you posted.

6. Will keep in mind. Thanks for the tip. One thing I hate is the security smashing the boot instead of lightly closing it. The Vento needed a stronger push but this just needs a slight nudge.

7. I actually like the fact that the shifters aren't too obviously seen. Will see if they are good performers. If I find difficult, will get the extenders.

9. Yes too late now and I didn't change since my tyre guy advised against it because of the loss financially. But will be getting a better set of rubber next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
For sure. These engines are built for high octane fuel. Give it a shot for two tanks. Either BP speed 97 or HP poWer 99. Preferably the latter. You'll love it. And drive it like you stole it after filling her up with premium gas. Looking forward to you reporting back after giving it a shot.
Great. Will keep you posted. Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSarkar View Post
Congratulations Sandeep, your car is an absolute Beauty. The TSI engine is quite simply one of the best petrol engines available in India currently. When coupled with the DSG box, which is quite simply one of the best gearboxes in the World, the effect is sublime!

BTW, your opening shot is now my wallpaper! It keeps reminding me of my goals a couple of years down the line!
Oh that's great to hear that you love the photo and even more that you're using it as a wallpaper. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Err.. that's the first thing I did when I picked up my Octi That chap was thinking, now he can charge me more for washing the car, considering "sahab ne abhi laaaambi gaadi lee hain"

His dream got shattered it seems..

Haha poor guy. Think my washing person too may think the same once he is back and sees the bigger car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
Congratulations on your black panther Sandeep! The Octy looks gorgeous in black!

My dad drives a Superb 1.8 TSi DSG; I can only imagine how well the Octy performs with that engine (considering the lighter kerb-weight and extra horses).

I highly recommend that you to take this baby on an interstate road-trip, to experience her true potential. I had the pleasure of taking our Superb on a road-trip from Mumbai to Kerala and back (via Bangalore). It was one of my best road-trips ever!

Wish you a very safe, proud and joyful ownership!
Definitely. Have made quite a lot of road trips with my Vento that were amazing. Planning to do even more with the Octavia.

I've heard a lot of good about the superb and what a great car it is. Unfortunately I wasn't able to drive it on the day I went to the showroom. My friend drove it. I think the lighter weight and having the same engine should make the Octavia better in some ways though. Thank you very much
Old 8th February 2017, 23:31   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
If you've any questions or feedback, please do go ahead and let me know
Congratulations on buying one of the best built and fun to drive cars in the country today...!!!

Could you post pictures of the engine rpm at various speeds? Also, a few pictures of the headlights at night would be great.

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th February 2017 at 09:23. Reason: See note in post.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 07:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congratulations on buying one of the best built and fun to drive cars in the country today...!!!

Could you post pictures of the engine rpm at various speeds? Also, a few pictures of the headlights at night would be great.
Thanks dude Will definitely post photos of the headlights at night. However, you would probably have to take my word for the RPM level as I don't want to be taking photos while I'm driving. Perhaps a fellow passenger can take them but not sure just how good the photos will be since they will be shaky and may have to zoom in digitally.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th February 2017 at 09:24. Reason: Edited quoted post.
Old 9th February 2017, 09:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Congratulations on the Octavia 1.8 TSi. The current Black Octavia looks killer. The 1.8 TSi is one of the best engines on sale in this country. Enjoy clocking miles. BTW your Vento had kickass rims.

Coincidentally even I was brought up in Bahrain. I have studies in NMS (2006-2009), NIS(2009) and ISB (2009-2011).
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:12   #27
BHPian

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverabhi View Post
Could you please post some pic of the paddle shifters?

Here you go buddy

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486622435.945044.jpg

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486622463.690352.jpg

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486622501.675401.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Congratulations on the Octavia 1.8 TSi. The current Black Octavia looks killer. The 1.8 TSi is one of the best engines on sale in this country. Enjoy clocking miles. BTW your Vento had kickass rims.

Coincidentally even I was brought up in Bahrain. I have studies in NMS (2006-2009), NIS(2009) and ISB (2009-2011).

Thank you Yes makes me sad to see the rims being wasted like that.

Oh wow that's great. Did you finish your 12th grade in 2011? I passed out from ISB in 2010.

Last edited by sandeepsarma : 9th February 2017 at 12:16.
sandeepsarma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Oh wow that's great. Did you finish your 12th grade in 2011? I passed out from ISB in 2010.

Yup I finished my 12th grade in 2011. I was in the engineering drawing class XI and XII I. Good to see a fellow bhpian from ISB. My mom & dad still stay in Bahrain.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 14:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Yup I finished my 12th grade in 2011. I was in the engineering drawing class XI and XII I. Good to see a fellow bhpian from ISB. My mom & dad still stay in Bahrain.
Thats nice. I know a few of your batchmates then Great to know.
Old 10th February 2017, 16:14   #30
BHPian

Congrats Sandeep!

Great review. Octavia looks hot! And in Black, it looks smouldering hot! In this age of overpriced under-powered tiny tinny cars, Octavia is a revelation. Ultimate bang for buck. Much similar to how it blew its competition away when it was launched. This particular model, the 1.8 TSI DSG is my dream car.

Quote:
..child lock..
Hi Sandeep, on drivers side, near the door lock and window button, there is a tiny lock button which ensures rear passengers cannot open the door, at least in my Polo GT. Hence must be similar in your car. That will suffice as child lock right?

And one more thing, the steering cover looks out of place in such a classy interior. If you want the steering to be more meaty/grippy, please get a custom stitched leather cover. Sorry to sound negative, but it stands out, in an otherwise stunning car.

Also, how do you find the paddles shifters? The paddles look so tiny, I guess a paddle extender will elevate the driving experience.

All the best for many lacs of tarmac scorching miles.

Last edited by rageshgr : 10th February 2017 at 16:18.

Most Viewed