Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2017, 16:56   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!

For the steering grip, buy the branded ones and get them tied on by a competent fellow. They look good enough in my opinion and fare better than your current one.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 17:02   #32
BHPian

Sandeep, congrats! This is absolutely the best performer in its class, and a sweet 1.8TSI with a DSG gearbox at that. And I can totally echo your thoughts brother, I have my vento, faithfully running on even after 1.2Lakh km and as someone said, the volume control knob is the least used button in the whole car! I have to have it upright and though I don't not tell my co-passenger (my dear wife) not to mess with it, I slowly adjust the volume on the steering controls and simultaneously bring the rotary knob back to the upright power symbol ASAP when someone changes it. Once my wife noticed this and she was like "are you bat-shoot crazy?!"

And I agree with the steering wheel cover, I understand your concern of ruining the leather on the steering wheel later, but this cover is ruining the whole car's luxo feel right from the moment it went on it. Please get a custom leather cover stitched, I'm sure you will find a lot of threads in the Tbhp search list for the same.

Get using those paddles, and laugh like the joker on laughing gas. Enjoy this car!
Cheers!
Doc_nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 11:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
The button above the telephone button on the RHS steering stalk
Hey, what is the use for the button above the telephone one? It looks like it might be a dummy unless there is lane keep assist in the car. In 2013 cars like mine, with the four spoke wheel, there is a voice button in the same position which mutes the audio since there is no voice command in older models.

Where as on the LHS button panel there is a 'mode' button (where your voice command button is placed) to change between modes of the audio such as Radio, CD, SD card, USB, Bluetooth. Its quite convenient and seems to be a miss in the new steering.

Also are the new backlighting all white? For example the power window switches etc. ?
Old 11th February 2017, 23:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Congrats Sandeep!

Great review. Octavia looks hot!
All the best for many lacs of tarmac scorching miles.
Thanks dude! Hope you are able to buy this car soon.

If you are referring to the central locking button then yes there is one on the Octavia as well but it is in the centre console above the gearbox. On my Vento too, it was on the right side driver's door portion. It does centrally lock the door but anyone can still open the door by simply releasing the door handle. There is also another button to prevent others from opening the windows and that works fine. But the doors will still open up unless the child lock is engaged.

Not sure if they've updated it on your Polo. Which year is it?

I find it alright, perhaps because of my bigger hands. I don't really like the paddle extenders that I see online. Would be great if they were metal or so but these are decent too. Or if I get metal extenders then I probably would still get it. Thanks once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
For the steering grip, buy the branded ones and get them tied on by a competent fellow. They look good enough in my opinion and fare better than your current one.
I shall take a look at these. Hopefully will find something good. The current one was planned as a short term solution anyway. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
Sandeep, congrats!

Get using those paddles, and laugh like the joker on laughing gas. Enjoy this car!
Cheers!
Thank you Nikhil. Glad to see a fellow Vento owner and great to see that your car is going strong even after 1.2 lacs on the ODO. Haha I do the exact same thing. But I have similar feelings about things in other places and objects too so my wife understands that lol

Shall take a look at custom leather covers soon. Perhaps Stanley also might have one but need to enquire about the cost and options. I put this one as a temporary fix since my Vento steering wheel started flaking at the top portion after around 15k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hey, what is the use for the button above the telephone one? ?
The backlighting is white for the steering controls and the instrument clutser unit. The window controls, the headunit and few other things are backlit in a green colour.

The button above the telephone one doesn't do anything but brings up an error message as seen in the photo below. Perhaps its a European/International variant feature that hasn't been made available in Indian cars. There is a button on the right most side that allows you to switch between the information displayed on the mid i.e Driving data, vehicle data, navigation and phone data.

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-img_20170211_233024.jpg

The voice button doesn't do anything in this car but you can also press the volume scroller to mute the track.
sandeepsarma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 16:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
First Impressions
[*]The eletronic seat adjustment makes sure that you get the pefect position for driving unlike mechanical levers. The preset positions are also of great help especially when you have more than one driver on a regular basis. However, I wish the side mirrors too adjusted automatically to each preset.
Hi Sandeep, Congratulations on your new buy and welcome to TSI club. Indeed you have got yourself's a gem of a car and will enjoy many miles with your new car. A small correction i would like to add, if not mentioned already by very experienced other Octavia owners is that, you do get the facility to preset the side mirrors as well, with the memory functions of the seat.This can be done even for the auto tilt down function of the passenger side mirror when reversing. Please check the manual for the function. This indeed is a boon when the car is driven by more than one driver. Rest assured your Octavia will make you smile every time you take your car out for spin. Enjoy the drive.
Scaryskodamenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 11:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. Got the cover today and it fits well except for the logo which is a bit covered. Still, protects the key nicely

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-key-1.jpg

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-key-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryskodamenon View Post
Hi Sandeep, Congratulations on your new buy and welcome to TSI club. Indeed you have got yourself's a gem of a car and will enjoy many miles with your new car. A small correction i would like to add, if not mentioned already by very experienced other Octavia owners is that, you do get the facility to preset the side mirrors as well, with the memory functions of the seat.This can be done even for the auto tilt down function of the passenger side mirror when reversing. Please check the manual for the function. This indeed is a boon when the car is driven by more than one driver. Rest assured your Octavia will make you smile every time you take your car out for spin. Enjoy the drive.
That's great then. Still haven't gotten around to checking the manual out. Will do that the coming weekend or whenever I have time. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Also, a few pictures of the headlights at night would be great.
Here are some photos. Not very good ones but hope they give you an idea on what to expect.

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-lights-1.jpg

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-lights-2.jpg

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-lights-3.jpg

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-lights-4.jpg

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-lights-5.jpg

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-lights-6.jpg

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-lights-7.jpg

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-lights-8.jpg
sandeepsarma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 12:21   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Here are some photos. Not very good ones but hope they give you an idea on what to expect.
Thank you. However, what I was looking for is photos which show the beam throw and effectiveness in:

1. Fog lights only.
2. Fog plus low beam.
3. Low beam only.
4. Fog plus high beam.
5. High beam only.
Old 13th February 2017, 20:52   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. However, what I was looking for is photos which show the beam throw and effectiveness in:

1. Fog lights only.

2. Fog plus low beam.

3. Low beam only.

4. Fog plus high beam.

5. High beam only.

Taking the liberty to answer on behalf of Sandeep

With just low beam

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486999243.328809.jpg

With low beam and fogs

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486999271.408795.jpg

With high beam and fogs

The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1486999305.688730.jpg

Being bi-xenon there is no separate highbeam.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 22:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. However, what I was looking for is photos which show the beam throw and effectiveness
My bad. Thanks to Rohan for stepping in quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Taking the liberty to answer on behalf of Sandeep

Rohan
Thanks buddy I owe you one
Old 14th February 2017, 22:14   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Just posting my 3D boot organizer here in case you all want to buy similar. It is relatively cheap and keeps the boot tidy :-)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3654726
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 10:03   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Just posting my 3D boot organizer here in case you all want to buy similar. It is relatively cheap and keeps the boot tidy :-)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3654726
That's a neat little addition. In fact was looking for something to keep some of the loose stuff including cleaning essentials, vacuum etc. Thank you!
Old 16th February 2017, 12:22   #42
BHPian

One of the best onwership reviews I read in a long time.

I am concerned about the the fuel efficiency which is less than 6kmpl on Petrol? While I understand one drives a 1.8 TSI for different reasons - that is on the lower side. Running costs are about Rs 12 per km. Yesterday, I was reading another beautiful review on Hyundai Tuscon (2.0l crdi churning out 175bhp and 400NM) - the best part was the running cost which was mentioned at Rs 5 to 5.5 per km. I know the analysis smacks of cheap mentality , but then...
bhaskaracs is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 14:21   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
One of the best onwership reviews I read in a long time.

I am concerned about the the fuel efficiency which is less than 6kmpl on Petrol? While I understand one drives a 1.8 TSI for different reasons - that is on the lower side. Running costs are about Rs 12 per km. Yesterday, I was reading another beautiful review on Hyundai Tuscon (2.0l crdi churning out 175bhp and 400NM) - the best part was the running cost which was mentioned at Rs 5 to 5.5 per km. I know the analysis smacks of cheap mentality , but then...
What I can make out of this post is that you have never driven the 1.8 TSi

For bumper to bumper traffic, the most economical option will be to take a bus or a train or book Ola. If one must drive in bumper to bumper traffic, Marutis equipped with the national engine and AMT are unbeatable with their 20+ kmpl real world fuel economy and supreme left knee comfort A colleague drives a DZire AMT to office and sends me a picture of his MFD every day which shows 21/22/23 kmpl. I drive the same distance to the same office and have no picture to share with him!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 16th February 2017 at 14:26.
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 15:03   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What I can make out of this post is that you have never driven the 1.8 TSi

For bumper to bumper traffic, the most economical option will be to take a bus or a train or book Ola. !
Yes, I never even sat on one, let alone driving one. I understand the pun, but I wasn't comparing the 1.8 TSi with a dZire; rather I was stacking it up against a Hyundai Tuscon 2.0crdi. I always thought 1.8 TSi what with its wonderful credentials gives you at least 8-9 kmpl in the city. Don't get me wrong - I respect the engine and perhaps it wears more stripes and stars than what my puny 1.6 crdi Elantra carries. And the only point I was wondering about was with all this fun(ss) with TSi coming at a huge 'relative' running cost - nearly 100% more than vehicles in the same/comparable segment. It appears like a rich enthusiast's car.
bhaskaracs is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 15:54   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Yes, I never even sat on one, let alone driving one. I understand the pun, but I wasn't comparing the 1.8 TSi with a dZire; rather I was stacking it up against a Hyundai Tuscon 2.0crdi.
Ok in the sub 25 lakh segment:

Driving Pleasure = Petrol Octy
Fuel Efficiency = Diesel Octy

If you want both (under 25 lakh), there is one car - Chevy Cruze AT. Recently test drove one for a friend - I was blown away! It felt faster than my Laura TSi (even though the numbers on paper don't say so). What a stonker of an engine and a good 6 speed AT. Buy it while the stock lasts. The new Cruze will most likely come with 1.6L engine!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 16th February 2017 at 15:55.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed