Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2017, 23:46   #31
BHPian

re: Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.

Great review Raghavendra! Must say that you have been very honest & open. 45,000 KM in 1 year is simply unbelievable! Glad to see you were able to cover so many places with the monster. Great pics & angles I have a question. One of my friend is considering pre-owned Fortuner which is about 4-5 years old. We did see some of them online. Most of them are done about over 1,00,000 KM although they are maintained in a good condition. So what is the engine life on the Fortuner? He plan to keep the car for another 5 years. Running is around 15,000 KM per year. What is the max odometer reading we can look at? Appreciate any suggestion on this matter. Thank you
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 09:25   #32
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.

Superb in depth review..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
I have a question. One of my friend is considering pre-owned Fortuner which is about 4-5 years old. We did see some of them online. Most of them are done about over 1,00,000 KM although they are maintained in a good condition. So what is the engine life on the Fortuner? He plan to keep the car for another 5 years. Running is around 15,000 KM per year. What is the max odometer reading we can look at? Appreciate any suggestion on this matter. Thank you
The Fortuner is a mean machine and can go on without any issues for a few hundred thousand kilometers (with just regular service)

We have two previous generation Fortuners (4x2 AT) in our office which have run almost 2 Lakh kms each in the past 4 years. Absolutely no issues at all. The cars are regularly serviced at Toyota dealers and they still run like new.

This bullet-proof reliability coupled with high resale value were the motivating factors for me to buy the new generation Fortuner

This is a good time to get a pre-worshipped previous generation Fortuner as many owners would be looking at upgrading to the new Fortuner. Ask your friend to search harder and he will find well maintained examples which have fewer kms on the clock.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 10:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Great review Raghavendra! Must say that you have been very honest & open. 45,000 KM in 1 year is simply unbelievable! Glad to see you were able to cover so many places with the monster. Great pics & angles I have a question. One of my friend is considering pre-owned Fortuner which is about 4-5 years old. We did see some of them online. Most of them are done about over 1,00,000 KM although they are maintained in a good condition. So what is the engine life on the Fortuner? He plan to keep the car for another 5 years. Running is around 15,000 KM per year. What is the max odometer reading we can look at? Appreciate any suggestion on this matter. Thank you
Thanks RAHS! Many pics are courtesy awesomely talented BHPians varunraizada, johannskaria and tejas08.

I believe MAS has answered your question quite well. 1-2 Lakh kms for the Fortuner is nothing really. Recently, during my 45,000 km service, the service advisor made a remark about "very high" running of my truck. I curiously asked him what was the maximum first year ODO reading he had seen on the Fortuner. He told me there is a politician based out of Mumbai who had clocked a ridiculous 1,38,000 km run in his first year without any issues!

Although I have not personally driven any other Fortuner but going by my own truck's experience, I can confidently say that if maintained properly, this beast has a real possibility of outliving its owners.

I recommend to your friend to buy a Fortuner with a properly maintained/verifiable service history and also get a Toyota Warranty which is available for upto 7 years. This should give enough peace of mind for trouble free ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Superb in depth review..

This bullet-proof reliability coupled with high resale value were the motivating factors for me to buy the new generation Fortuner
Thank you Sir. I have checked the pictures of your Fortuner in the other thread and it looks absolutely lovely. The new generation model has much better fuel economy and creature comforts. What's the ODO reading now? Any major trips planned for this year?

Wish you lakhs of happy miles with your truck! Hope to see your ownership report too.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 14:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:

This is a good time to get a pre-worshipped previous generation Fortuner as many owners would be looking at upgrading to the new Fortuner. Ask your friend to search harder and he will find well maintained examples which have fewer kms on the clock.
Thanks MAS! He has been searching online ( Cartrade, carwale, olx etc ). Do you suggest any other sites? We did visit few Toyota dealers in Bangalore ( Toyota U-Trust ). They also have pre-owned Fortuners. 2012/2013 models with about 1 lakh KM's done are available for a price tag between 17 Lakhs - 22 Lakhs. We didn't want to visit 3rd party dealers. No confidence on them. It has to either direct dealing from the party ( online ) OR it has to be from Toyota itself ( Toyota U-Trust ). Any feedback is most welcome!
Old 28th April 2017, 14:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post

Although I have not personally driven any other Fortuner but going by my own truck's experience, I can confidently say that if maintained properly, this beast has a real possibility of outliving its owners.

I recommend to your friend to buy a Fortuner with a properly maintained/verifiable service history and also get a Toyota Warranty which is available for upto 7 years. This should give enough peace of mind for trouble free ownership
Thanks Raghavendra! Just another question on maintenance of a pre-owned Fortuner. For a 5 years old Fortuner, what would be the approximate service cost per year & approximate insurance cost? This will certainly help in making a decision. He is little scared about maintaining the white elephant I know it depends on variants ( MT, AT, 4x4 ). But some approximate figures would really help. Thanks in advance
RAHS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 15:00   #36
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sir. I have checked the pictures of your Fortuner in the other thread and it looks absolutely lovely. The new generation model has much better fuel economy and creature comforts. What's the ODO reading now? Any major trips planned for this year?

Wish you lakhs of happy miles with your truck! Hope to see your ownership report too.
Thank you very much Ragh_Bhushan for your good wishes.

The Fortuner is my "Sunday" car and it has run 2700 kms in the almost 4 months of ownership. I have a number of long drives plans, but nothing has materialised till date due to lack of time.

Creta is my daily drive from Monday to Saturday. It has clocked 24000 Kms in 10 months.

Quote:
Thanks MAS! He has been searching online ( Cartrade, carwale, olx etc ). Do you suggest any other sites? We did visit few Toyota dealers in Bangalore ( Toyota U-Trust ). They also have pre-owned Fortuners. 2012/2013 models with about 1 lakh KM's done are available for a price tag between 17 Lakhs - 22 Lakhs. We didn't want to visit 3rd party dealers. No confidence on them. It has to either direct dealing from the party ( online ) OR it has to be from Toyota itself ( Toyota U-Trust ). Any feedback is most welcome!
OLX is my favorite website (Since i got the highest number of hits when i sold my Endeavour on OLX and since we got a Grand i10 for a friend on OLX).

I checked OLX now and was surprised to see the high prices of Pre-worshipped Fortuners in Bangalore.

But, there are a few cars like this: Ad ID: 1079913569, 2013 4x4 MT Run 63K for 20.25 Kms. The prices mentioned are always inflated and can be negotiated downwards by 10-15%. The key is to keep checking back every few hours as deals are completed quite fast on OLX.

Toyota U-Trust is a dealer who makes fat margins and i personally do not trust them.
Old 28th April 2017, 15:51   #37
BHPian

This indeed is a holistic review of the car - one which has triggered an exciting discussion on the capabilities of Fortuner. Ragh_bhushan has well summarised his experience of mass-driving the car including a few off-road adventures, some of which I have happily been a part of.

What this has also done has confused me again on my decision to choose between the new Endy Automatic and new Fortuner, or save some money and opt for a second hand Fortuner. The pros and cons are simply endless and makes life very difficult !

To all the folks here - which one would you choose ?

And to ragh_bhushan - you have all it takes to be a great reviewer. Keep riding and take that odo to new heights.
prateekvidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 15:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:

OLX is my favorite website (Since i got the highest number of hits when i sold my Endeavour on OLX and since we got a Grand i10 for a friend on OLX).

I checked OLX now and was surprised to see the high prices of Pre-worshipped Fortuners in Bangalore.

But, there are a few cars like this: Ad ID: 1079913569, 2013 4x4 MT Run 63K for 20.25 Kms. The prices mentioned are always inflated and can be negotiated downwards by 10-15%. The key is to keep checking back every few hours as deals are completed quite fast on OLX.

Toyota U-Trust is a dealer who makes fat margins and i personally do not trust them.
Thank you MAS for the quick response! Sure, I will ask him to check. I agree with your point regarding Toyota U-trust. They do make fat margins Better to go with online listing directly from owners.
Old 28th April 2017, 16:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekvidya View Post

I would go with previous generation Fortuner simply because of 2 reasons!
1. It has better SUV looks compare to new generation Fortuner
2. More VFM ( Inspired by GTO's article on used car advantages )
Old 28th April 2017, 19:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Just another question on maintenance of a pre-owned Fortuner. For a 5 years old Fortuner, what would be the approximate service cost per year & approximate insurance cost? I know it depends on variants ( MT, AT, 4x4 ). But some approximate figures would really help.
For x5000 km general checkup service cost would be ~Rs. 1,400/-. This excludes any consumables / parts cost which might be required if there are any issues. Many owners skip this service, especially after the truck is out of the warranty period. It is totally personal choice whether one wishes to get this done or not.

For x10,000 km full service, cost would be ~Rs. 8,000/- which includes oil change (mineral), oil filter change, tyre rotation, propeller shaft greasing, AC service, brake cleaning etc. If any more parts like brake pads needs to be changed then it can go up to Rs. 17,000/-

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekvidya View Post
What this has also done has confused me again on my decision to choose between the new Endy Automatic and new Fortuner, or save some money and opt for a second hand Fortuner. The pros and cons are simply endless and makes life very difficult !

Thanks Prateek! Great fun during our recent adventure. Monsoons are approaching and so is the proper off-roading season. Lets explore places around and beyond Mumbai

Fortuner v/s Endeavour is an endless debate. Both are very capable machines and there is no clear and straight forward answer. Me, personally would still choose the previous generation Fortuner for the looks. All the bells and whistles that the Endeavour has is great but not critical for me except for the sunroof. I sorely miss that on my truck.

Quote:
The Fortuner is my "Sunday" car.

Creta is my daily drive from Monday to Saturday.
Any particular reason for choosing Creta over Fortuner as a daily drive? Is it Auto v/s Manual?
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 22:43   #41
BHPian

45,000 km Service Update

45,000 km Service Update

x5000 km service is simple checkup wherein various electrical and mechanical parts of the truck is checked for well-being. No consumables are replaced. This service, however turned out to be quite an eventful visit to the service center.

With ODO at 42,517 km, the Check Engine light and VSC light suddenly came on together. It was odd that two errors popped up simultaneously.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-2.jpg

I checked the manual and it said that one of the possible reasons for Check Engine Light could be high pressure in the turbo-charger unit. Both errors, however, disappeared next morning.
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-1.jpg

As the errors disappeared by itself, I decided to wait till 45,000 km service to get this checked. The truck had apparently self-healed!

Truck hit the 45K mark last weekend and was sent for general inspection service to Lakozy Toyota, Andheri on 24 April. Dealership was quite accommodating considering I made the service booking in the morning for the same day.

After running diagnostics tests, the Service Advisor informed me that the error code had been saved in the truck's computer and as per their service and troubleshooting manual, they will have to replace the whole fuel injection assembly including all hoses, pipes and pumps

All the parts were ordered and replaced under warranty except fuel filter, which they claimed had sand particles in it and could not be covered under warranty. I do not know from where sand could have entered the fuel filter as the whole fuel assembly is completely closed system. I asked for pictures but was informed that it cannot taken as per their company policy. I did not argue much and paid Rs. 1,820/- for the fuel filter. One possibility could be contaminated fuel.

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT : My Furteela Ghonga. 2 years and 1,00,000 km up! EDIT: Now sold.-fortuner-3.jpg

Highlights of the Service:
  • Date: 24 April 2017, 1PM
  • Service Center Visit No: 13
  • Type of service: Regular Checkup
  • ODO: 45,084 km
  • Dealership: Lakozy Toyota, Andheri (E), Mumbai
  • Delivery Date: 26 April 2017, 2PM
  • Total Amount Paid: Rs. 3,217/-
  • Estimated Repair Cost to Toyota: ~Rs. 2,00,000/- (As per service advisor)
  • Parts Replaced: Fuel injectors and entire fuel injector assembly (Warranty)
  • My Rating: 8/10

PS: Each fuel injector costs Rs. 45,000/- and a total of 4 injectors are used.

Truck has run 400 km since the service and is running absolutely great. It never had any issue before or during the errors and after its disappearance by itself.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 23:41   #42
BHPian

Re: 45,000 km Service Update

Quote:

Highlights of the Service:
  • Date: 24 April 2017, 1PM
  • Service Center Visit No: 13
  • Type of service: Regular Checkup
  • ODO: 45,084 km
  • Dealership: Lakozy Toyota, Andheri (E), Mumbai
  • Delivery Date: 26 April 2017, 2PM
  • Total Amount Paid: Rs. 3,217/-
  • Estimated Repair Cost to Toyota: ~Rs. 2,00,000/- (As per service advisor)
  • Parts Replaced: Fuel injectors and entire fuel injector assembly (Warranty)
  • My Rating: 8/10
Thanks Raghavendra. This is where my friend is worried about. What would be the situation of Pre-owned Fortuner owner ( 5 years old truck ) when it is not under warranty? One has to pay 2 lakhs from pocket? You said, Toyota offers warranty up to 7 years. Assuming second owner plans to keep the vehicle for another 5 years ( Total 10 years for vehicle ), how can one afford such fat bills? I can think of 2 things.
1. Toyota is replacing the parts just because they are under warranty, although it is not needed to be replaced!
2. If the vehicle is not under warranty, Toyota would repair those parts instead of replacement OR they would charge reasonable amount for replacement.
What say guys?
Old 28th April 2017, 23:41   #43
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any particular reason for choosing Creta over Fortuner as a daily drive? Is it Auto v/s Manual?
Monday to Saturday - I drive alone and visit customers. The Creta is easier to drive in tight streets and park in non-existent parking spaces. Plus easier to clean everyday morning. It is a Manual SX (O).

Quote:
All the parts were ordered and replaced under warranty except fuel filter, which they claimed had sand particles in it and could not be covered under warranty.
That's a big relief. It is always wise to take extended warranty. This incident has prompted me to extend my car's extended warranty from 5 years to 7 years.

Quote:
What say guys?
As a policy, Toyota always replaces parts instead of repairing them. This, according to them gives better long term reliability.

In case, the car is out of warranty, the FNG is the only place to go.

Last edited by MAS : 28th April 2017 at 23:49.
Old 29th April 2017, 20:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Assuming second owner plans to keep the vehicle for another 5 years ( Total 10 years for vehicle ), how can one afford such fat bills?
Quote:
As a policy, Toyota always replaces parts instead of repairing them. This, according to them gives better long term reliability.

In case, the car is out of warranty, the FNG is the only place to go.
Yes, it is true that Toyota does not repair parts. Even if the damage is very small and repairable, it always prefers to replace.

Once the car is out of warranty, even I would recommend to go for FNG. Many genuine spare parts are now available in open market. So at least labour charges can be saved to an extent.
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 21:15   #45
BHPian

Re: 45,000 km Service Update

Quote:
What would be the situation of Pre-owned Fortuner owner ( 5 years old truck ) when it is not under warranty? One has to pay 2 lakhs from pocket? You said, Toyota offers warranty up to 7 years.
I thought that the timeless warranty by Toyota covers this. Maybe your friend should take a look at that before he rules out a pre owned Fortuner completely
@Chaand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks