Team-BHP - Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/184562-our-big-boy-tata-hexa-xt-4x2-11.html)

Our big boy becomes one year old! So the car had done 16660 kms in its first year and the experience has been wonderful! No complaints whatsoever. Small niggles which were identified initially were dealt with professionally as can be seen from my initial posts on this thread. From then on, the car has proved to be strong and takes everything thrown at it with ease!

Got the third service done with break pads, oil and other elements changed along with wheel rotation, balancing and alignment. There were minute scratches here and there which are totally gone now as i painstakingly looked for them and the personnel did his magic after marking them.

As usual i went through the dashcam footage only to find them to be very professional and their attention to detail was quite appreciable.

This service cost me just 1260rs owning to the weights and other consumables having purchased the AMC. So the total cost for service in one year is roughly 2 to 2.5k.

The car is just butter smooth with the engine eager as ever with not a single rattle on worst of the roads. Falling in love all over again!!

Will keep updating the thread as and how my ownership progresses and hope to have another fascinating year with the beast! Cheers...!

Got this from TATA from one of their campaigns: Customisable stickers with your own text. And mine was "Hexastic!"

Had some time for myself at office and thought of making a SWOT analysis of Hexa, specifically for folks who are evaluating this option. Though the SWOT is conducted against two elements, i have only considered the Hexa. As a result, few pointers may have repeated in multiple heads so pardon me! Your thoughts would be highly appreciated!
Ps: deeply regret the small image. Request to orient it to landscape for easy reading (on mobiles).

What has been the mileage that you have been getting on the car? Both city and highway runs?

What is the service interval that is suggested?

Also during servicing have you got oil and oil filter changed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi7013 (Post 4362348)
Our big boy becomes one year old! So the car had done 16660 kms in its first year and the experience has been wonderful!

Got the third service done with break pads, oil and other elements changed along with wheel rotation, balancing and alignment.

Is it not a bit early for the brake pads change? I think they should last a lot more than 16k KMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 4399514)
What has been the mileage that you have been getting on the car? Both city and highway runs?

What is the service interval that is suggested?

Also during servicing have you got oil and oil filter changed?

Mileage in city hovers around 11 to 12kmpl. On highways its always above 15kmpl. In short, I've never gotten below 11 in city and 15 in highways.
Suggested service intervals are six months. Major aspects like oil change and filters are at every 20k kms.
I got oil changed during the 1st year completion service (20k kms).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike (Post 4399537)
Is it not a bit early for the brake pads change? I think they should last a lot more than 16k KMs.

I should have mentioned that i got it changed under AMC. Though they had not worn out fully, they did agree to change it. And guess what, you can keep the pads that were changed to install them again post AMC period if they aren't really worn out!

So the AC blower stopped working last weekend on the highway. Switching through the modes would again start the blower but it did shut down once again. It happened twice and never repeated again. But still thought of taking the car to the service station. As am typing this, there's a huge smile on my face! Read on to know why!

1. Raised a complaint on Monday on the TATA app at 9pm. Got a call on Tuesday at 10am with an appointment on Saturday. SA knew the issue right away.

2. Arrived at the station to know that a new ECU update has been released. Was excited and asked them to go ahead. Enquired on the interior cleaning charges and was quoted 1600 with roof fabric wash as well. Declined it. Requested for a foam wash though.

3. Got a call that the car was ready in the evening today and went to pick it up. Guess what, the foam wash and interior cleaning were done free of charge! They didn't do the roof fabric wash but who cares? The car smells and feels clean and all i had to spend with a repaired AC, wash and interior cleaning was 15rs! That 15rs was for a broken bonnet bush.

Drove the car home and was impressed with the power delivery. Earlier there used to be power spikes post the lag. But now, its just one sweet pull u get all the way till 2.5k rpm! This has further improved the drive quality of the car as there are no sudden jerks. ZERO rattles by the way. The engine is more peppier and overtakes are a lot more easy. Never enjoyed driving in city as much as this!

As usual, went through the dashcam footage to find the entire process handled professionally. Hope people realise the honest efforts put in in the after sales by TATA and the few rogue dealers closed down soon. Stay tuned for more updates on our big boy!

Hey nice to read that a new ECU update has been released. Is there any way to check what ECU version is currently in my car and how do we check whether the ECU has been updated?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyRoadie (Post 4402658)
Hey nice to read that a new ECU update has been released. Is there any way to check what ECU version is currently in my car and how do we check whether the ECU has been updated?

I don't know how exactly to check. The service guys can know the version on their systems. This update was rolled out two weeks back as per the SA. Why don't you try reaching out to your dealers and enquiring if they have the latest one?

Great to hear that you are a happy Tata customer.

I was checking all the threads of recent Tata vehicles.

It seem TASS has improved.

Happy motoring. Drive safe.

Good to be back after so long! Thousands of kms done and many experiences to update. Will give a brief below:-

1. Car has done about 28,000 kms as of today and all free services are done with. It will complete 2 years coming Feb.
2. Bought many accessories including a Michelin 12266 air compressor which has proved valuable. Would strongly recommend going for it if you are looking for one!
3. Got the BCM and ECU updates as and when they came in with auto-folding feature for the mirrors. Feels good when you get new features activated specially considering the way features are being removed in the current iterations.

A major update though is the car letting us stranded in the middle of the night on the Hassan highway (1am). It was good that there was no family and we were all bachelors on that trip.
The engine malfunction light glowed and the car stuttered to a halt. I managed to park it on the shoulder. Repeated cranks didn't yield anything. Contacted TATA emergency and was told that the mechanics can come only in the morning at around 8AM. Called up my insurance provider to avail their 'free towing' services but came to know that it's included only for accidents and not breakdown:Frustrati
It was good luck that an NHAI vehicle stopped just after 10 minutes of me pulling over. The only way out of this i thought was to get the vehicle towed. The distance was 120Kms and we were 7 adults. The estimate was a whopping 10K:Shockked:

Seeing no alternatives and mine being a manual 4X2, I decided on getting it towed with 2 of us sitting in the towing vehicle and the remaining 5 on the middle and last rows of the Hexa. It was a grueling 4 hours ride with the vehicle bobbing around and the rear tow-hook hitting the speed-bumps at toll plazas.

Finally reached Prerana motors Peenya yard at around 5 in the morning and updated the SA. Came Home, had a nap and visited the service center at 11 in the morning. The issue was diagnosed as a loose fuel pipe connection to the sediment filter (which is high pressure line) and is located just behind the front left wheel. Merely tightening the clip was all it took for the engine to start up. Makes me wonder even now if i should have stayed put through the night and waited for the mechanic from TATA to arrive, instead of having it towed all the way.

To conclude, the pipe was shipped to the vendor for inspection, parts replaced and now a cheque for 10K is waiting for me from TATA motors as a refund for the towing charges which i really appreciate.
However, i still have no clue, and neither do they, as to why the issue arose in the first place. I shall try and click a pic of the part and post it here when time permits.

We have been on multiple trips post this fiasco and its been a very good experience. The car is running butter smooth, gear shifts have improved by leaps and am looking forward to updating this thread as and how my experience progresses!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon (Post 4507339)
Great to hear that you are a happy Tata customer.

I was checking all the threads of recent Tata vehicles.

It seem TASS has improved.

Happy motoring. Drive safe.

Yes, their service personnel are good and the quality too has improved. You can look out for such positive feedback on ownership threads and vehicle review threads as well. There are a few bad centers here and there which i wish TATA identifies soon and takes action.

Congratulations on your new car. About the on road price that you mentioned, does that include insurance as well? If yes, did you go for zero dep and how much did it cost you? I am in the process of getting a new car and I felt that the dealers were quoting too high for insurance. Hence I am looking for some information on that. By the way, I am going to get a XUV 500 AT and I have not taken a test drive of hexa. After reading your post it seems I should have. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by parthabh (Post 4511405)
Congratulations on your new car. About the on road price that you mentioned, does that include insurance as well? If yes, did you go for zero dep and how much did it cost you? I am in the process of getting a new car and I felt that the dealers were quoting too high for insurance. Hence I am looking for some information on that. By the way, I am going to get a XUV 500 AT and I have not taken a test drive of hexa. After reading your post it seems I should have. :)

You definitely should have TDed an XTA. Hexa is known for its automatic. Anyways, the new XUV is loaded with features and is a proven car so congratulations on your booking!
Regarding insurance, i did not go for zero dep and opted for Royal Sundaram. The quote provided by the showroom was not justifiable. Forgive me, i do not remember the exact amount or the difference in price!

Quote:

Originally Posted by parthabh (Post 4511405)
By the way, I am going to get a XUV 500 AT and I have not taken a test drive of hexa. After reading your post it seems I should have. :)

If you haven't test-driven it, I'd suggest do it soon. The new XUV 500 is a very competent and feature-rich vehicle for sure. On the other hand, Hexa doesn't have some of the gadgetry and features that XUV boasts of. However, the ride quality and handling of Hexa has been hailed by BHPians as one of the best on this side of the Rs. 25L mark.

Once you drive Hexa, you'd have something to compare XUV500 with. Of course, in the end it would boil down to your personal preference and buying parameters.

And regarding insurance, I'd suggest to not go with the dealer's quote. It is usually bloated and you could easily save Rs. 10-15k (on comprehensive, zero-dep ones) when you get it outside. Royal Sundaram should get you the best quote (as abhi7013 said and I've observed too)

P.S - If it appears that I am marketing for Tata, I probably am - free-of-cost lol:
Tata Fanboy, you know :D