Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2017, 22:25   #76
BHPian

Re: Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post

7. Getting the phone connected to the infotainment system is a task. Sometimes, no matter how much you unplug and plug your phone back, Navimaps do not work and the app does not detect the car. BT pairing however works flawlessly every time. Fellow owners experienced the same with the Connectnext app and have found a work-around. You need to connect it to the infotainment before pairing the phone via BT to the system. Looks like an annoying bug. Having said this, the maps are brilliant. It is real time (unlike few stop-and-go maps) and have accurate speed based zoom along with important details like the next fuel station, restaurants, etc. However, the phone has to be connected always via USB.
Attachment 1616388
Can you please elaborate on the Navimaps a little more? I am not very clear on how they work on the Hexa. Are the maps already loaded in the infotainment system or are they loaded through the phone only, via screen mirroring? Does the car have a GPS unit or does it use the phone's GPS?

Also, I have done a couple of test drives of XT 4X4 variant. Loved the space on offer, ride quality as well as the seats providing sufficient underthigh support. The slight areas of concern for me were the footwell space for the driver's left foot, and the gearshift quality .

However, in both the cars that I tested, I somehow found the AC to be just about adequate, especially for the mid / third row. However, your review speaks highly of the ACs cooling effectiveness. I am not sure if I should be worried about its effectiveness in peak Delhi summers.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.
Old 10th July 2017, 12:05   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Can you please elaborate on the Navimaps a little more? I am not very clear on how they work on the Hexa. Are the maps already loaded in the infotainment system or are they loaded through the phone only, via screen mirroring? Does the car have a GPS unit or does it use the phone's GPS?

Also, I have done a couple of test drives of XT 4X4 variant. Loved the space on offer, ride quality as well as the seats providing sufficient underthigh support. The slight areas of concern for me were the footwell space for the driver's left foot, and the gearshift quality .

However, in both the cars that I tested, I somehow found the AC to be just about adequate, especially for the mid / third row. However, your review speaks highly of the ACs cooling effectiveness. I am not sure if I should be worried about its effectiveness in peak Delhi summers.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.
Hey. Let me try addressing your concerns in order.

For Navimaps to function, you need to install ConnectNext app which will detect the car and suggest a host of apps compatible with Hexa, of which Navimaps is one. Once you download and load all the offline maps, the phone has to be connected to the infotainment via USB with ConnectNext app open. Once the car is detected and routes are loaded on the map, the same screen is mirrored on the car's display. The system uses the phone's GPS.

Regarding the foot-well, as i come from a Santro which had loads of space on offer under the steering, with a wide dead-pedal, I too had the same concern while buying. However, you tend to get used to resting your legs under or below the C-Pedal and is very comfortable to drive. The arm-rest too comes into use a lot, though the shape looks weird. Regarding gear shifts, the first two gears are a bit hard to switch. However, the other gears are a lot smoother and driving in 6th is just pure bliss!

Coming to the AC, a few owners did face issues on cooling which was rectified later on, with the problem being a fuse or a faulty O-ring leading to leakage of the gas. However, mine has been functioning flawlessly (touchwood!) and am satisfied with the cooling. Not sure how effective it would be in the Delhi summer though. The third row cooling is almost immediate with the dedicated pillar vents and the same goes to the middle row with a couple of additional center vents. I have not found any issues in cooling and it always is chilly inside!

Hope that I have answered your queries. In case anything is left out, do post.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 10th July 2017 at 12:06.
Old 11th July 2017, 17:49   #78
BHPian

Update: Had been on a trip to Chikkamangaluru and Kudremukha last weekend with 5 adults and one kid. We left at 12am on Thursday and reached kemmannugundi at 6:30am. We drove slowly as we had a lot of time to kill. Though chilly outside, the car maintained a cozy 24 degrees inside throughout. The de-fog and de-mist functions worked better than expected. All went good until we reached the destination.

The access to the home-stay was a narrow ghat mud-road with steep inclines and hair-pin bends. It had rained the entire night and the mud was both deep and slippery. I was up a stump as this was my first experience of driving a diesel on such a road. Though hill hold worked like a charm, after 3 seconds, the car started rolling backwards at which time, i raised the RPM to 4-4.5 with half clutch. The wheels spun and the car regained traction and began to climb. However, there was a strong burning smell from the clutch plates. I understood what went wrong and began climbing the slope in 1st gear without reducing momentum and keeping the car in it's torque band without touching the clutch.

I called up the SA and he said that it definitely is the clutch burning smell and asked me to let the car rest for an hour or so and try observing later for loss in pick up. From then on, we took the car to steep ghats, similar mud roads and even high speed cruises during the entire trip. We did not face the issue again.

The SA kept calling and was in touch with us till we completed the trip. He said there were back-up flat-bed trucks ready if there was a problem during the trip which made us feel less anxious about the whole thing. On the whole, we enjoyed a lot and each and every passenger felt comfortable with very minimal fatigue on the return leg of the journey. Had installed FasTag few weeks back which worked well and deducted only 160rs on the whole Hassan-Bangalore route. It could have been a flaw in their sensor as my tag works perfectly.

Also, the headlights of the car is pathetic. Low beam does its job. However, a major part of the high beam is focused towards the left. I know that it is by design, so as to not effect oncoming traffic. But looks like TATA has kept the opposing traffic's safety in mind than ours! The beam throw is useless with absolutely no difference in high and low beams. I have gone through all the beam adjustments but to no avail. Desperately need to change the bulbs.

Also, would like to ask fellow members, how they handle a situation, when they are stuck on a very steep incline with loose mud and gravel. I tried my best but it resulted in the clutch burning itself. Yes, it does depend on the driver, but i seriously want to avoid such situations if i find myself on such a road (or should i say lack of road!) in future.
And, would like to again highlight the efficient response from the after sales team at Prerana Motors. Makes us feel premium!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 11th July 2017 at 17:53.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 10:11   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Hey. Let me try addressing your concerns in order.
Thanks a ton for the inputs. Hexa is a great vehicle and in its 4x4 avatar, is one of the contenders for my next car.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th July 2017 at 10:13.
Old 13th July 2017, 07:58   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the inputs. Hexa is a great vehicle and in its 4x4 avatar, is one of the contenders for my next car.
May i know the options that you are considering?
Old 13th July 2017, 09:36   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, would like to ask fellow members, how they handle a situation, when they are stuck on a very steep incline with loose mud and gravel. I tried my best but it resulted in the clutch burning itself. Yes, it does depend on the driver, but i seriously want to avoid such situations if i find myself on such a road (or should i say lack of road!) in future.
When I am going to buy a big SUV/MUV for touring and visiting off-beat places and the vehicle I shortlist is made available with an AWD/4X4 option, why would I even skip on that?

It is embarrassing/inconvenient to buy these capable tourers and then ask for help to be towed away from tame spots such as these. Imagine being stuck in similar situation in pitch darkness with family on-board and with no cell phone network. If you tour extensively and go to off-beat places, you simply can't rule out such a happening.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th July 2017 at 09:37.
Old 13th July 2017, 21:27   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
When I am going to buy a big SUV/MUV for touring and visiting off-beat places and the vehicle I shortlist is made available with an AWD/4X4 option, why would I even skip on that?

It is embarrassing/inconvenient to buy these capable tourers and then ask for help to be towed away from tame spots such as these. Imagine being stuck in similar situation in pitch darkness with family on-board and with no cell phone network. If you tour extensively and go to off-beat places, you simply can't rule out such a happening.
The place where I went doesn't allow any kind of 4X4s as they can be manageable only by Thars which the locals and forest officials have. No kind of other 4x4s available in the market can handle terrains as these mostly because of the GC.

The stay where we booked into was on the borders of one such a place.

Coming to not buying a 4X4, I simply did not feel the worth of spending that much for a trip which I may go once a year. And the Hexa 4X2 in rough road mode is capable enough to handle slush and inclines.
The problem is the driver in my case, not the machine!

Because I drove three to four times again on the same path with no hiccups and was impressed with the car's capabilities. Only when I stop do I get into trouble!

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2017 at 10:25. Reason: typo edited
Old 14th July 2017, 10:03   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Though hill hold worked like a charm, after 3 seconds, the car started rolling backwards at which time, i raised the RPM to 4-4.5 with half clutch. The wheels spun and the car regained traction and began to climb. However, there was a strong burning smell from the clutch plates. I understood what went wrong and began climbing the slope in 1st gear without reducing momentum and keeping the car in it's torque band without touching the clutch.
Unfortunately there is no easy way for a 2wd to overcome slushy inclines. You could try lowering the tyre pressure a little and keeping momentum. Half clutch can get you out from a tricky spot but in the end, there is no substitute for a 4wd. If you lose momentum on a slushy incline in 2wd, it's not easy to start again. The amount of power these vehicles put down, wheels start spinning in no time. Another hack could be to put floor mats at the base of your rear wheels to give them some traction. Not saying its the ideal and only solution.

Quote:
And the Hexa 4X2 in rough road mode is capable enough to handle slush and inclines.
What exactly does the "rough road mode" do in a 2wd Hexa? Just curious.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 11:51   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

What exactly does the "rough road mode" do in a 2wd Hexa? Just curious.
As explained by others to me and from experience, it avoids the wheels (individually) from spinning and losing traction, in my case, the rear wheels only.

By the way, using mats in such a situation is actually a good idea! Will make a mental note...
Old 14th July 2017, 19:29   #85
BHPian

Quote:
As explained by others to me and from experience, it avoids the wheels (individually) from spinning and losing traction, in my case, the rear wheels only.

By the way, using mats in such a situation is actually a good idea! Will make a mental note...
Hi Abhi7013. Thank you for the review.
We're evaluating the purchase of a Hexa XM Manual in this month, and I have a few questions about the same:
1. How would you rate the longevity of the car so far? I have a Nano Twist (2015) and it is pretty good in holding up to everyday abuse. Do you think that the Hexa will last you at least 6-7 years without rattles if you drive carefully?
2. We're evaluating a Safari Storme (Used) for around 7 Lakhs, a XUV for around 8 Lakhs and a Hexa for around 13.5 lakhs. I know this is not an apple to apple comparison, but if you were given these three options, what would you choose? Assume the used cars to be in very good condition.
3. What's the significance of the three modes on the XM? We're considering the XE purely because we want it in white and XE is the cheapest.
Thanks for your response. We'll be exchanging the Nano and a 2006 Baleno for this purchase. Since this would be a reasonably large purchase by my parents' middle class standards, I really want to be sure that this is the best car for them at this moment. They want an SUV and I want to see them driving an Indian manufacturers car that is actually globally competent. The XUV and the Hexa are the only two contenders.
Looking forward to your response.
Regards,
Nissan1180
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 07:56   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post

1. How would you rate the longevity of the car so far? I have a Nano Twist (2015) and it is pretty good in holding up to everyday abuse. Do you think that the Hexa will last you at least 6-7 years without rattles if you drive carefully?
2. We're evaluating a Safari Storme (Used) for around 7 Lakhs, a XUV for around 8 Lakhs and a Hexa for around 13.5 lakhs. I know this is not an apple to apple comparison, but if you were given these three options, what would you choose? Assume the used cars to be in very good condition.
3. What's the significance of the three modes on the XM? We're considering the XE purely because we want it in white and XE is the cheapest.
Thanks for your response. We'll be exchanging the Nano and a 2006 Baleno for this purchase. Since this would be a reasonably large purchase by my parents' middle class standards, I really want to be sure that this is the best car for them at this moment. They want an SUV and I want to see them driving an Indian manufacturers car that is actually globally competent. The XUV and the Hexa are the only two contenders.
Regards,
Nissan1180
Let me pitch in till he replies.

1. Yes, it wil easily hold up that long. There are a lot of Safari Dicors which have held up well for 10 yrs with some TLC now and then and the plastics in the Hexa are way better.

2. This is tough one, but I would pick the Storme if I wanted a 5 seater with 4WD or the XUV if I wanted a crossover. I dont like the Hexa's van like shape but thats personal. Purely from a product perspective, I'd pick up the XUV for its sportier engine.

3. The driving modes alter the vehicle noticeably but since you seem to be stretched on the budget, the XE should do well enough.

Lastly, since this is a "large" purchase for your parents, I would recommend a reliable, easy to maintain vehicle, preferably AT and pre owned. Given these requirements, I'd suggest you shortlist your requirements and choice. Also, the base variants of most vehicles are barebones and dont give the buyer that feel of acquiring something nice so if the XE is the only variant you can afford, I'd recommend you go the pre-owned way. XUVs are reliable and a lot of them are available in the market.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 18:40   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Hi Abhi7013. Thank you for the review.
We're evaluating the purchase of a Hexa XM Manual in this month, and I have a few questions about the same:
Regards,
Nissan1180
1. The car has run 8k kms. Going by this and other owner's cars, some of whose have crossed the 20k mark, and also looking at other Arias and Safaris, i have absolutely no concerns about its longevity.

2. If your option is a Hexa XM, then just close your eyes and go for it. With the features it offers, its a no-brainer.
However, with a second hand XUV, you would get the advantages of more features like a sunroof (W10), key less entry, etc at a cheaper price.
You also have to bear in mind that its a diesel.
I personally would never buy a diesel car in the seconds market.

3. As i said in my review, the driving modes are a boon. Its like driving those many different cars!

Would like to add that its better to buy a Safari or an XUV instead of Hexa if it is the XE variant.
Its a trade-off between the feeling of owning a new car (new model too) versus the feature list.
To conclude, i would prioritise buying the XM with alloys offered by TATA. If not, its the XUV for me rather than Safari.
Old 24th July 2017, 12:41   #88
BHPian

Quote:
May i know the options that you are considering?
Hi, apologies for the delayed response.

Although i would love to buy a new car right away, I will have to wait till Oct 2018 atleast, as I would be away from family for work reasons. So, I have that much time to make up my mind.

As of now, the SUVs I am considering are XUV, Hexa and the Endeavour.

My priorities -

Good driveability, as I love to drive and frequently go on long drives to far off places in HP/Uttarakhand.

Has to be a 4 wheel drive. Low range gears would be great, but as I dont go for specific off roading events and only intend to beat the tough terrain/ roads in my long mountain drives, i feel even a good AWD system should suffice.

Good ride quality.

Space and comfortable seats, as mine is a large family with parents staying with me.

While I could stretch my budget to get the Endeavour I wouldn't mind saving the 10 lakhs if I could.

Regards.
Old 24th July 2017, 13:49   #89
BHPian

Quote:

Good ride quality.

Space and comfortable seats, as mine is a large family with parents staying with me.

While I could stretch my budget to get the Endeavour I wouldn't mind saving the 10 lakhs if I could.

Regards.
Ride quality, 4X4 and space. Your priorities are what Hexa addresses best. And i would also suggest you to rule out XUV based on these factors.
Since you are considering buying in 2018, would suggest you to wait for facelift of XUV which may roll out by then.
Also, if you have the budget, endeavour sounds good. But the market seems to have not accepted this car for some reason, looking at the sales figures.
Old 24th July 2017, 14:49   #90
BHPian

I am also hoping Hexa 4x4 automatic variant also comes out by then. If it does, it definetely would be my next SUV.
Fingers crossed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks