Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2019, 22:23   #181
BHPian

Re: Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Upasana Retreat is a lovely place and Kyathanamakki too. Monsoons would make the place even better. The steep climb from the gate to the Parking/reception zone should have been a cake walk for the Hexa.

Some very nice pictures there.
Yes, the steep climb was easy. However, i definitely would have burnt a bit of clutch if i had to stop on the incline in case another car was driving out!
Old 4th February 2020, 17:31   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post

This could happen to any new driver who is not accustomed to Hexa. It already happened twice with me and a few friends and a couple of owners as well. It was the presence of mind that made us not release the clutch and immediately shift back to N, 5 or 6.

Now, is there a way to work around this problem? Else, i'll have to keep warning anyone who drives my car to watch out while shifting to 6!
tell me your'e kidding mate! How can this possibly happen? I can't even begin to imagine what happens if there is an accidental slip into R at high speed....any more thoughts on this? Am very curious
Old 4th February 2020, 21:54   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexamaniac View Post
tell me your'e kidding mate! How can this possibly happen? I can't even begin to imagine what happens if there is an accidental slip into R at high speed....any more thoughts on this? Am very curious
Glad that you brought this out! I tried it once, approximately 6 months back and the gear wouldn't move to R. I was happy that TASS had worked around this.
However, i have tried it again multiple times, infact just a month back. Even at speeds above 100, it slots into R, i hear a beep and the rear camera feed comes on. While in this situation, i tried to hear and abnormal sounds coming from the gearbox but there's nothing. Obviously i kept the clutch depressed like my life depended on it (literally it did!) and i reduced my speed to 10kmph and slightly let go of the clutch.
I started to hear and sense gears grinding (very slightly as i had released only 20% of clutch) and i immediately stopped and shifted to neutral.

What would happen if any of my friends are driving and and they shift to R instead of 6 is a very dreadful thought and i end up warning them multiple times before giving them the keys.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 4th February 2020 at 21:56.
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 10:19   #184
BHPian

Update: 3 years completes and so does the last of the free services. The car still feels as good as new if not smoother, has completed 42k kms and the service experience has been above expectations!
I guess now is the right time to upgrade the headlights as this is the only significant let down whenever we go for road trips.
No vibrations, rattles or squeaks despite diving it off roads quite often in these past few years.
Will keep the thread updated.
abhi7013 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 13:10   #185
BHPian

During the service that i mentioned in my previous post, they had changed the exhaust pipe under warranty (costs 19k) as there seemed to be a slight crack. They did this voluntarily which is appreciable.

However, the new exhaust is just a single one which is much bigger and broader. The old dual exhausts have been stopped.

Now while driving towards kolar and back to bangalore via NH7, i came across roads that were under construction with gravel on them. I had glided over these roads at 70-80kmph as there was nothing to be felt in the cabin. However, this turned out to be a a disaster as one of the stones hit the exhaust pipe behind the muffler causing a big crack (part of the old exhaust system which wasn't changed during the service).

Immediately realized a change in exhaust note while parking at home so i took the car to the service center and replaced the whole muffler. Whole thing took about 20 minutes. Unfortunately this wasn't covered either under AMC nor warranty as it was a physical damage and plus they had already changed the exhaust pipe just a week back FOC.

The muffler costed me about 7.5k including labour. Just hope this doesn't repeat again!
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 15:49   #186
BHPian

A rather unfortunate update: the alloy wheel cracked and it seems to be an 'air crack' as suggested by TASS and the insurance company. Insurance was denied as they say such cracks cannot be covered for an alloy wheel alone unless there's a damage in an accident so it's understandable. Placed an order for a new one costing around 15k. Do any of you know a good welding shop in Bangalore where i can get this welded and use as a spare wheel?

Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-img_20200627_113249.jpg

Also, received a call from a fellow owner who is facing similar problems i used to face with regards to the inconsistent lags in the 2nd and 3rd gears in his XMA - bought this year in Feb. These lags are accompanied by the infamous gargle. Here's what i feel: TATA has rolled out ECU updates but there are some cars where the ECU for some reason begins to behave like it used to and the updates didn't matter. Is this even possible? TASS are simply incompetent in fixing this and i feel someone from the plant has to look at the issue.
In my case, i wasn't able to replicate the issue as whenever the service manager used to test drive, there would be no lag. This lag comes only after driving on the highways and then when you enter the city, the car just refuses to pull out of a bump in 2nd gear. Like i said in my initial posts, you can literally count to 10 while having fully depressed the Accelerator till the car gains on RPMs and it suddenly lurches forward. Funny thing is, down the line, this issue has started to resolve itself and now the lags are less often but still there. I've learnt to live with it.

Need inputs from experts out here: am i right in assuming that it's the ECU to blame? Cause driving home from the service after they diagnose the ECU is simply problem free. But it occurs and stays once you drive around in the city. Am nearing the end of my warranty period but if ECU is the case, how likely are they to replace it under warranty for the fellow owner who's car is just 5 months old? No complaints whatsoever in other components hence narrowing it down to the ECU.
TASS folks are simply incompetent and no wonder TATA is still struggling to get a foothold. I only wonder how they are going to address more complicated issues in the Harrier should there be any. Advice and suggestions very much welcome! This fellow-owner friend of mine is so frustrated, he wishes to sell off his car should they not resolve it.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 2nd July 2020 at 15:53.
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 07:00   #187
BHPian

Quote:
A rather unfortunate update: the alloy wheel cracked and it seems to be an 'air crack' as suggested by TASS and the insurance company. Insurance was denied as they say such cracks cannot be covered for an alloy wheel alone unless there's a damage in an accident so it's understandable. Placed an order for a new one costing around 15k. Do any of you know a good welding shop in Bangalore where i can get this welded and use as a spare wheel?
Lovely ownership thread abhi7013. Any update on above issue, how you managed to fix it?
Old 17th July 2021, 08:51   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are on the south side, visit Vijay wheel alignment JP Nagar and talk to Rajesh. I do not suggest fixing it, order a new replacement instead. Dealers are well aware of the 19 inch alloys cracking, they will play dumb as usual.

Make sure to maintain exact cold air pressure once a few weeks to minimize the chances of cracks in future. In this case please inspect the tire on the inside to see if there is any damage to the tire as well.
Old 30th July 2021, 09:28   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Lovely ownership thread abhi7013. Any update on above issue, how you managed to fix it?
Thank you for reading! Regarding the issue, since this happened when most businesses were shut last year, i had purchased a new alloy. Am yet to weld the old one as i plan to use it as a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If you are on the south side, visit Vijay wheel alignment JP Nagar and talk to Rajesh. I do not suggest fixing it, order a new replacement instead. Dealers are well aware of the 19 inch alloys cracking, they will play dumb as usual.

Make sure to maintain exact cold air pressure once a few weeks to minimize the chances of cracks in future. In this case please inspect the tire on the inside to see if there is any damage to the tire as well.
The tyre looks absolutely fine and i have a TPMS to ensure they are always inflated at the recommended pressure.

As you said, I don't plan on using it but only to the extent of a spare wheel since what we have now is a steel one. Also, thank you for the lead, ill try contacting them for a resolution and keep this thread updated!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 19:41   #190

Quote:
Update: 3 years completes and so does the last of the free services. The car still feels as good as new if not smoother, has completed 42k kms and the service experience has been above expectations!
I guess now is the right time to upgrade the headlights as this is the only significant let down whenever we go for road trips.
No vibrations, rattles or squeaks despite diving it off roads quite often in these past few years.
Will keep the thread updated.
Abhi
I read in other thread that you were planning to go for VKOOL sunfilm. Did you get that done? Which tints you got VK70? How much did it cost finally?

I had vkool on my swift which got it 10y back and was very happy with it. I am looking for the same for my creta and planning to go to viveknagar kooling solutions.

Appreciate any leads / suggestions on this...

Thank you.
Old 12th October 2021, 21:33   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navechan View Post
Abhi
I read in other thread that you were planning to go for VKOOL sunfilm. Did you get that done? Which tints you got VK70? How much did it cost finally?

I had vkool on my swift which got it 10y back and was very happy with it. I am looking for the same for my creta and planning to go to viveknagar kooling solutions.

Appreciate any leads / suggestions on this...

Thank you.
Hi,

I did not go for any tint as of now. I have prioritised getting better headlights for the car but just unable to find the time!

The shop i visited for genuine vkool tints is near national games village, Koramangala. Am unable to find the shop but here's a rough estimate of where it comes:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/V6fAHHcPBZTLQKPo8

This is just an estimate as per my knowledge as to where the shop is. He seemed good and genuine and i hope he's still in business!
Old 13th October 2021, 13:42   #192

Quote:
Hi,

I did not go for any tint as of now. I have prioritised getting better headlights for the car but just unable to find the time!

The shop i visited for genuine vkool tints is near national games village, Koramangala. Am unable to find the shop but here's a rough estimate of where it comes:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/V6fAHHcPBZTLQKPo8

This is just an estimate as per my knowledge as to where the shop is. He seemed good and genuine and i hope he's still in business!
Ok thanks for your reply.
The link you shared takes me to a Tyre shop.
DM me if you get to remember the exact shop name.
Old 13th October 2021, 14:41   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navechan View Post
Ok thanks for your reply.
The link you shared takes me to a Tyre shop.
DM me if you get to remember the exact shop name.
The actual shop must be a couple of meters around this tyre shop. Will DM if i get the name.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 17:45   #194
BHPian

Quick update: Got the tyres changed recently and got the alignment & balancing done. The car pulls slightly to the right and when i visited again to get it corrected, the readings had changed. Attaching an image:

Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-img_20211223_130440.jpg

I remember driving into a nasty pothole during my recent trip. The toe readings have been adjusted, not an issue. However, problem is with the negative camber for the front right. Not just one but two alignment guys have taken a look at this and have made the same suggestion: to get the "arm bush" changed at TASS.

Would like opinion of experts here whether its safe to continue with this negative camber reading. I have a long drive planned for tomorrow and would be back on Monday evening, a total of 1500kms overall. Am just anxious and hope nothing major happens like uneven wear of the tyre or the faulty arm bush causing someother side effects.

Looking forward to all your thoughts!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 24th December 2021 at 17:46.
Old 23rd September 2022, 22:11   #195
BHPian

Finally got the time to change the puny stock headlamps for the high beam with GPNE H7 LEDs. It was difficult to source a 4300k LED as I'm not at all a fan of the 6000k ones as they have a slight bluish tint. 4300k on the other hand is pure white and the visibility is leagues ahead on wet roads.

Unfortunately, the beam throw is a bit low and needs to be realigned. Will share the beam throw pics once I get that sorted over the weekend. Low beams remain stock for now.

Attaching pics of getting the lights installed by a mech. The bumper needs to be removed to access the headlight assembly which is a pretty stupid design.
Attached Thumbnails
Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-d1d8c8adf8314117a620816c34f00364.jpeg  

Our Big Boy: Tata Hexa XT 4x2-15eb19656b8149709087f747cb20e7d5.jpeg  

Last edited by abhi7013 : 23rd September 2022 at 22:13.
abhi7013 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks