Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 12:38   #31

Re: Video Comparison: Ford Endeavour vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Karan & kedarwalke, very nice efforts. Just to be clear, Endeavour is very capable off-road as well, perhaps bogged down in these videos due to relatively less exposure of driver to such conditions in my opinion.

Have a look at this video, this is a very steep hill and even Thar could do after multiple attempts. Ignore first few attempts of Endeavour as I was doing this for the first time and even though you have a capable truck, fear of something breaking on a new expensive machine is always there.

HI,
I am an active offroader based in Dubai and currently a marshal in a Offroader Club.I have been driving on huge sand dunes for the last couple of years.Out of my experience - just wanted to check if the right tecniques have been put to use as I see the cars struggling.On loose sands - the PSI to maintained is 12/15.Driving on hig PSI and making too many attempts on the climb will overheat the transmission.Transmission heat is a major reason for failed transmissions as it burns the insdies of the tourque convertor.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th June 2017 at 09:09. Reason: Removing Youtube URL from the quoted post.
Satind is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 09:02   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
just wanted to check if the right tecniques have been put to use as I see the cars struggling.On loose sands - the PSI to maintained is 12/15.Driving on hig PSI and making too many attempts on the climb
Yes, vehicles which were used for longer durations, pressure was reduced. But few others including Endeavour had only shorter runs were on stock pressures. I don't think it would have mattered at the Top where it got struck due to overall length.
Old 27th March 2017, 22:14   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Lovely video Karan. Been watching your video reviews regularly and this one is certainly the best presented and ofcourse most innovative with the twin you .
Quote:
Who is doing the editing and shooting?
My brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Excellent review Karan. As everyone has said I loved the way you presented the video i.e. you and your twin. Keep it up.
Thank You guys for your appreciation

PS - Sorry for a delayed response, as i was travelling.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 18:13   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I was just pondering on the fact that we don't have an Endeavour vs (new) Fortuner thread when I saw this thread. Nicely done, though to be brutally honest the direction/editing could be better

No complaints on the content, though. You have nailed pretty much everything a new owner looks for in a vehicle!

Based on what you are saying here the Fortuner MT is ideal for my requirements: better last seat in terms of space and ingress (for the kids), hydraulic steering for those long drives, navigation included on HU etc. The problem is I need an AT now: have gotten used to a slush box and- lets face it- am not getting any younger!

Am wondering if there is a case for the 4x2 AT Fortuner over the Endeavour 3.2 since I honestly don't need the 4 WD nor the pano sunroof plus it is I think nearly 4L cheaper on the road than the Endeavour. Longer warranty coverage and a superior dealer experience are also big factors, as is significantly higher resale for the Toyota.

What do you think?
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 19:26   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I was just pondering on the fact that we don't have an Endeavour vs (new) Fortuner thread when I saw this thread. Nicely done, though to be brutally honest the direction/editing could be better

No complaints on the content, though. You have nailed pretty much everything a new owner looks for in a vehicle!
Thanks noopster for your appreciation & feedback

Quote:
Based on what you are saying here the Fortuner MT is ideal for my requirements: better last seat in terms of space and ingress (for the kids), hydraulic steering for those long drives, navigation included on HU etc. The problem is I need an AT now: have gotten used to a slush box and- lets face it- am not getting any younger!

Am wondering if there is a case for the 4x2 AT Fortuner over the Endeavour 3.2 since I honestly don't need the 4 WD nor the pano sunroof plus it is I think nearly 4L cheaper on the road than the Endeavour. Longer warranty coverage and a superior dealer experience are also big factors, as is significantly higher resale for the Toyota.

What do you think?
I believe when you are buying such BIG SUV's you should pick the 4x4 variants. I know you have said you have no use, well nor do i until we go off road (3-4 times/year) or during some family excursions to remote areas where having a 4x4 is always a mental confidence booster. Hence pick the 4x4 variant.
Coming to M/T v/s A/T question, again the M/T of the Fortuner is a different animal altogether which the bigger engined Endeavour may not match the driving pleasure specifically the gear shift quality & the revv matching (Moderator 'Aditya' had driven my car after driving the press A/T Fortuner, so you can take his advice too). Endeavour 3.2 on the other hand is a better product compared to the A/T Fortuner, but after spending about 6 months with the Fortuner i believe overall its a winner any which ways even if you pick the A/T or a M/T.

All the best

Last edited by karan561 : 4th June 2017 at 19:27.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 08:30   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
If you don't need the 4X4 hardware, why not look at the Crysta 2.8? I sat in one and was floored by the torque, the refinement of the Toyota and very good and composed ride. Has decent GC if not equipped with foot-steps.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 09:15   #37
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Fortuner, but after spending about 6 months with the Fortuner i believe overall its a winner any which ways even if you pick the A/T or a M/T.
I was kind of expecting this reply from you.

It would be wonderful if you could run a comparison between the 3.2 AT Endeavour and 2.8 AT Fortuner. The AT Fortuner in "Power Mode" is a monster and does not have the "jerky" character of its MT sibling.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 13:02   #38
BHPian

One of the best car review in general ever seen! In a dilemma of choosing between these two as my 2015 Fortuner's replacement and this gives a clear picture of what each has to offer. Though still it's a tough choice to choose one and let another go lol
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 17:26   #39
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
One of the best car review in general ever seen! In a dilemma of choosing between these two as my 2015 Fortuner's replacement and this gives a clear picture of what each has to offer. Though still it's a tough choice to choose one and let another go lol
Replacing a 2015 Fortuner? That's just a 2 year old Toyota.

Check Karan's recommendation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
but after spending about 6 months with the Fortuner i believe overall its a winner any which ways even if you pick the A/T or a M/T.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 10:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
One of the best car review in general ever seen!
Hi Aditya, thanks for your appreciation

Quote:
In a dilemma of choosing between these two as my 2015 Fortuner's replacement and this gives a clear picture of what each has to offer. Though still it's a tough choice to choose one and let another go lol
I'd say keep the 2015 Fortuner and add the Endeavour to your garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Replacing a 2015 Fortuner? That's just a 2 year old Toyota.
Check Karan's recommendation..
Thanks MAS for the prompt reply.
Old 27th June 2017, 20:23   #41
BHPian

I currently own (2013) Skoda Yeti 4x4, and the lease period will complete by this October. Post which, i become the 2nd owner of this little wonder. I don't plan to sell Yeti (resale value of Yeti is depressing, to say the least), instead want to buy a proper 7 seater within the budget of 40 Lakhs.

I'm not (please, no offense meant) considering XUV/Strome/Hexa/Innova, nor pre-worshipped German Big 3s.

My choice is between Endeavour 2.2 l TDCi (Diesel) and Fortuner 2.8 (Diesel). Even Fortuner 2.7 Petrol is in contention(more on that later).

My needs:-
1. Own a 7 seater since renting (self-drive) every time is a hassle and becomes expensive. (Ex: In the last 6 months, I have spent over 75k+ in renting self-drive 7 seaters. Of course, I had the option of choosing different cars every time).
2. 2 Infants are now getting 5+ yrs old and want their own space in the car. Our current cars (Yeti & Civic) is good for me and my wife, for our office trips.
3. 4x4 is not a deal-breaker for me. Honestly, my Yeti never left the tarmac in the last 4 years. Lesson learnt hard.
4. Usage will be a mix of city & highways. With an estimated use of 10,000 Kms per Year. Therefore, I'm ok with Petrol as well.
5. Minimum body-roll. Ability to handle bad roads occasionally.
6. Minimum 'Total cost of ownership'.
7. I will keep this for at least 10 years. (My Civic is already 11 yrs old, and I don't change cars frequently).
8. Auto-Transmission Only.
9. Easy to drive within City.
10. Good resale value. Since I already own cars with bad resale value, this one should be better if I'm financially broken later.

Why Fortuner?
It ticks all points except Point#5 & 9. (based on several online reviews, including team-bhp Senior BHPian Karan's video comparison).

Why Endeavour?
I'm convinced that it's technically superior to Fortuner. If I can keep this for 10 years, resale is not an issue anymore.
However, there is no petrol option with Endeavour. With Courts producing game-changing verdicts, I don't want to be caught in this mess.

I'm taking test drives of both between this and next week.

What is your suggestion?

Last edited by harishpr : 27th June 2017 at 20:29.
Old 27th June 2017, 20:36   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is your suggestion?
Check 2,8 Z Innova, It should be a perfect car for you. Nothing beats Innova middle seats and it's a proper 6 / 7 seater. Unless you are looking for something macho due to image etc..
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 20:52   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Check 2,8 Z Innova, It should be a perfect car for you. Nothing beats Innova middle seats and it's a proper 6 / 7 seater. Unless you are looking for something macho due to image etc..
Dear Turbunator, Innova is not in contention. It's between Fortuner and Endeavour.
Old 27th June 2017, 21:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Dear Turbunator, Innova is not in contention. It's between Fortuner and Endeavour.
Why don't you expand your list to include the Isuzu MU X if a proper 7 seater is what you are looking for. I saw the Autocar review the other day and the 3rd row is better than the 2 cars mentioned above. As for easy to drive within the city I can say that neither of these cars will be particularly easy to drive within the city.

I know you ruled out the Innova but be clear that both fortuner and endeavour are not as comfortable and are mainly better than Innova for off roading and macho image. Upgrading to this segment I believe should be based on the need for these 2 things. I know 4*4 is hardly used but in my trips to Ladakh and Spiti this year it does give you an added confidence to tackle any terrain compared to a 2WD. These SUVs are incomplete without a 4 WD or their torque filled diesels. I somehow feel you might feel dissatisfied with these cars with your requirement set. Just a thought.
Old 27th June 2017, 21:47   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post

Why Fortuner?
It ticks all points except Point#5 & 9. (based on several online reviews, including team-bhp Senior BHPian Karan's video comparison).

Why Endeavour?
I'm convinced that it's technically superior to Fortuner. If I can keep this for 10 years, resale is not an issue anymore.
However, there is no petrol option with Endeavour. With Courts producing game-changing verdicts, I don't want to be caught in this mess.

I'm taking test drives of both between this and next week.

What is your suggestion?
If points #5 & #9 are stopping you from buying the Fortuner i'd suggest you dont worry as body roll will only come into picture if you are a spirited driver & pushing the SUV etc if not then its a very stable highway cruiser. About #9 getting judgement right in the Fortuner is easier compared to the Endeavour.

Also picking the Diesel will be the wise choice if buying the Fortuner as you would need torque if you have 7 people on board with luggage & the petrol will be sluggish. Endeavour 2.2L diesel is very OK as the premium Endeavour experience comes into picture only with the 3.2 5cyl model hence if you are not interested to buy that engine, just go in for the Fortuner Diesel A/T.

Do report what you feel after the test drives, all the best
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks