Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2017, 14:08   #16
BHPian

A very nice, detailed review. I liked the analysis and supporting pictures, especially comparison of other cars with Brezza in the background.

Congrats and wish you many more miles with your car.
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 17:01   #17
BHPian

Re: Fire in the Mountain : My Red & Black Maruti Vitara Brezza (1 year and 17k km up)

I love the honesty with which you have mentioned everything here. I drive the EcoSport TDCI 2016 which has clocked over 22k kms now and I can safely say your views on the Vitara Brezza are truly what I felt at the time of making a choice.
What I want to bring to your notice is the fact that the ASS department in FORD has improved dramatically over the last couple of years ( or shall I say since the inclusion of the first gen Figo)
A head to head comparison of FORD and MUL will see Ford score more in the areas of, child parts replacement, cost per service, service bookings, Advisor friendliness etc..
I am able to say this with confidence because I also own a 2015 Dzire Vxi.

By the way you have clicked some really nice pictures
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 17:33   #18
BHPian

Re: Fire in the Mountain : My Red & Black Maruti Vitara Brezza (1 year and 17k km up)

Perhaps the most practical, detailed and wonderful review I have read in a long time. A very honest one too.

When I bought Ecosport, Brezza was not launched. I agree with each and every comparison point you have mentioned. When Brezza was launched,my best friend bought it, and here is my honest review too, if you don't mind.

+ Brezza
  1. Space. In comparison to Ecosport, the rear seat is a sofa.
  2. Low-Speed Suspension Tuning.
  3. Wherever you go, you'll find a Maruti ASS.
  4. Lighter Clutch
  5. Better Fuel Average. (Friend is getting 16 kmpl in NCR, I am getting 13, For highway its almost same)

+ Ecosport
  1. Built Quality.
  2. Lower service and Maintenance Cost.
  3. Linear Power Delivery.
  4. A bit more fun to drive. (Might be a personal opinion only.)
BB311 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 19:30   #19
BHPian

Thanks for sharing a very nice and colorful review. The Brezza is a really nice car and would have been nicer if AWD was an option. I'm surprised that you spent more than 5k on your maintenance so far- that's like Rs. 2 per kilometer which is high in my humble opinion. Hopefully, the average maintenance cost would be lower in the long run. My point of reference is our old Baleno which still gets serviced at the local MASS and it costs us around Re. 0.75 per kilometer despite the car having served us for 10 years and 60,000 kilometers (and being a discontinued model).

Wishing you many more happy miles.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 20:22   #20
BHPian

Congratulations Mountaineer for the first anniversary of the Brezza. I was really impressed with the details covered in the review.
Regarding the humming noise when ignition is switched on, it's the fuel pump priming the common fuel rail and not the heater. Once the set pressure on the rail is reached the noise disappears, it's a common thing on all modern day engines, petrol or diesel.
Electronic fuel gauge works on the same principle as the assumed analogue one. Just that the display has a needle rather than the segments, it's all about getting used to things.
You live in a region where all types of terrain are easily accessible, enjoy the drives
Cheers
Brumby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 21:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Great review on the car with nice photos. Wish you many happy miles with the vehicle.

I saw your wish list which includes a bull bar and a sun roof. IMHO, the bull bar may result in airbags not deploying, if such a situation so occurs. Sun roof also is best done when given as an OEM equipment as there is no compromise on the structural integrity of the roof.

Happy driving!!!
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 00:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineer View Post
Fire in the Mountain : My Red & Black Vitara Brezza
Brilliant review! In the near future when I'm choosing my next car ( now seems either Baleno or Brezza ) I'm going to read this in detail once again. Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I own a 2 year old 41k run Ciaz ZDI, for which I have spent 45k on service alone.
OT, but something seems wrong here. It's way too much. I've got a DZire which is around 3.5 years old and I've not spent nearly half as much. Do you strike off the nonsense they sell such as AC disinfectant?
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 00:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Very detailed ownership review. Rating 5 stars for - among other things - the SWOT analysis . This is the true value of Team-BHP...longer term ownership reports. While officially reviewing a new car, we can only know so much after spending 2 - 7 days with it. But an owner who spends his own money on the car & actually lives with it on a daily basis is the truest reviewer.

Going straight to our homepage. Congratulations on your car & thanks again!
I feel elated and am thankful. I promise, i will always be true to he value of Team BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Loved your pictures from the travel. I like the car a lot too. Its the ONLY Maruti car that I have liked enough to think about owning. Its the only compact SUV (sub-4m), that actually is truly worthy of the "SUV" tag with all credentials in right place.
Thanks for your views and yes i share your feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_shimla View Post
Hey Mr. Mountaineer, Some where at the very beginning your mentioned that you are not qualified enough for writing such a review and in my humble opinion it is an understatement to which most people would agree here with me. In-fact, it is a highly detailed review and I enjoyed every word of it especially the SWOT analysis. I believe you also reside in Shimla so how about having a meet and start the TBHP Shimla chapter.
I humbly thank you for the appreciation. Yes i also think it is good idea to meet and start a new group. Lets meet and fix up things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Congrats on the purchase and the anniversary!

You had mentioned that service cost of Brezza was cheaper than Ecosport.
Maruti still has the perception of being a manufacturer whose products are cheap to maintain, which in my experience (7 maruti cars ownership so far) is wrong. Marutis are costlier than Ford when it comes to service costs.

And as you have rightly said, maruti's DDIS 200 is fun to drive beyond 2000 rpm, and dead below that. Ecosport is much better when it comes to turbo lag.
Thanks for your views, I have two points here
Firstly yes Perception is very important and definitely Maruti has got it till now, right or wrong is debatable.
Secondly the place where i live doesn't have much of support for any manufacturer other than Maruti. Since i will have to travel 100 Km for every service/spare part the service cost automatically becomes higher.

The turbo lag debate is beyond my scope and i have stated to live with it.
I take it this way that the car has an additional power subset which can be activated at higher RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
I drive the EcoSport TDCI 2016 which has clocked over 22k kms now and I can safely say your views on the Vitara Brezza are truly what I felt at the time of making a choice.
What I want to bring to your notice is the fact that the ASS department in FORD has improved dramatically over the last couple of years ( or shall I say since the inclusion of the first gen Figo)
A head to head comparison of FORD and MUL will see Ford score more in the areas of, child parts replacement, cost per service, service bookings, Advisor friendliness etc..
I am able to say this with confidence because I also own a 2015 Dzire Vxi.

By the way you have clicked some really nice pictures
My friend also owns a Ecosport and he also feels the same. I also think its time we change our perception and start looking beyond Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post

When I bought Ecosport, Brezza was not launched. I agree with each and every comparison point you have mentioned. When Brezza was launched,my best friend bought it, and here is my honest review too, if you don't mind.
+ Ecosport
  1. Built Quality.
  2. Lower service and Maintenance Cost.
  3. Linear Power Delivery.
  4. A bit more fun to drive. (Might be a personal opinion only.)
I fully agree with what you feel. Ecosport is the car which had really put me in double minds before i bought Brezza.

Just imagine sales chart of Ecosport if it had a Maruti Badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I'm surprised that you spent more than 5k on your maintenance so far- that's like Rs. 2 per kilometer which is high in my humble opinion. Hopefully, the average maintenance cost would be lower in the long run. My point of reference is our old Baleno which still gets serviced at the local MASS and it costs us around Re. 0.75 per kilometer despite the car having served us for 10 years and 60,000 kilometers (and being a discontinued model).

Wishing you many more happy miles.
Agreed cost per Km is higher till now and will decrease in long run. Also there have been few part change like AC filter,Wipers which could have been avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
Regarding the humming noise when ignition is switched on, it's the fuel pump priming the common fuel rail and not the heater. Once the set pressure on the rail is reached the noise disappears, it's a common thing on all modern day engines, petrol or diesel.
Electronic fuel gauge works on the same principle as the assumed analogue one. Just that the display has a needle rather than the segments, it's all about getting used to things.
You live in a region where all types of terrain are easily accessible, enjoy the drives
Cheers
1. Thank you for the insight, kly suggest if one should wait till the humming sound disappears (19 sec) or is it OK to ignite the motor at will.
2. I have noticed that in Electronic fuel gauge half tank full is not actually half. This i can confirm from my experience of Brezza and Ritz. Maybe other cars don't have this issue but in Maruti the Electronic fuel gauge doesn't give an actual picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I saw your wish list which includes a bull bar and a sun roof. IMHO, the bull bar may result in airbags not deploying, if such a situation so occurs. Sun roof also is best done when given as an OEM equipment as there is no compromise on the structural integrity of the roof.
Happy driving!!!
Well then it is settled i am not having bull bar.

Regarding sunroof please give me some idea to get it done without compromising the structural integrity of the roof or should i forget it.
mountaineer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 00:32   #24
BHPian

How has your experience with the braking been, especially the ABS. Ritz had a pretty good ABS setup, but having driven 22k in 10 months, I find the one on the Brezza to be weak.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 01:22   #25
BHPian

It is always advisable to wait till the fuel rail is up to the required pressure, even if you don't, no harm will occur to the starting system or the engine components. Just that a fully pressurised rail will give a better start which we may or may not be able to differentiate.
The fuel rail has a very high pressure (1500-2000 bars or more) but the actual pressure at which the fuel injector opens is just around 350 to 400 bars for diesel engines.
The reason for this is
A) To make sure the pressure in the common rail does not drop below the injector opening pressure at any time.
B) Enough pressure is available to pump fuel for all injectors.
C) Higher pressure ensures better atomisation and mixing of fuel in the combustion chamber.

May be you are aware that, any modern automobile engine petrol or diesel (with manual gearbox) can be push started if the battery has just enough juice to support running of the fuel pump and energizing the solenoids through ECU. The reason for this are the above mentioned points.
Cheers
Old 10th August 2017, 01:24   #26
BHPian

Apologies for the emoji, actually I typed 'B)' but it appeared as an emoji, was using quick reply on the team-bhp app on my phone
Old 10th August 2017, 07:16   #27
BHPian

A brilliantly written thread, you sir are quite the reviewer

I also migrated from a string of petrol engines(alto, swift-P) to the figo TDCI recently. One thing I have noticed with the figo is that the glow plugs always turn on for a few seconds when i start the car in Shimla, even in summer afternoons. Does that happen with the Brezza? I always wait till the humming noise stops and the glow plug symbol goes away before starting the car.
Turbo diesels are really fun to drive once you learn to manage the turbo lag. Turbo lag can be an issue though when starting the car on really steep inclines. Have you faced any such issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineer View Post

I humbly thank you for the appreciation. Yes i also think it is good idea to meet and start a new group. Lets meet and fix up things.

Count me in

Last edited by bullrun87 : 10th August 2017 at 07:29.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 11:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
How has your experience with the braking been, especially the ABS. Ritz had a pretty good ABS setup, but having driven 22k in 10 months, I find the one on the Brezza to be weak.
I found the ABS to be similar as in RITZ only that it sets in a bit early and sometimes gives me jitters but no problems till now as i have adapted.
Regarding Braking, i feel it is better than RITZ and yes in rainy seasons the brakes become a bit eager and i also hear creak sound sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
A brilliantly written thread, you sir are quite the reviewer

I also migrated from a string of petrol engines(alto, swift-P) to the figo TDCI recently. One thing I have noticed with the figo is that the glow plugs always turn on for a few seconds when i start the car in Shimla, even in summer afternoons. Does that happen with the Brezza? I always wait till the humming noise stops and the glow plug symbol goes away before starting the car.
Turbo diesels are really fun to drive once you learn to manage the turbo lag. Turbo lag can be an issue though when starting the car on really steep inclines. Have you faced any such issues?

Count me in
Interesting point regarding Turbo lag :-

Yes i have faced one issue which is as below.
I was driving towards Jakhoo hill (Jakhoo temple,Shimla) and the climb was pretty steep (you know one of the best in town) and it was misty Sunday afternoon with lot of cars on the road. It was raining and I had AC on and there were four well fed folks with me in the car.
In front of me was a Fortuner (DL number plate) and as he negotiated the spur he just slowed down a little and then sped off.
As he slowed down i had to release the A pedal as distance was less, car was in second gear but due to sudden break in momentum i had to bring the car to standstill as the car would not negotiate the spur.

I was left with the following options :-
A - Let the co passengers get down and walk up the spur for 50 mts
B - I move the car back to 25 mts and then build the momentum and zoom past the spur.

Option A was not taken as it was ' car ki izzat ka swal'
Option B seemed difficult as already there were 5 cars following me and just behind me was a Scorpio (again DL number plate).

I was left with no choice but to exercise Option C.I thought how a HRTC Bus driver would have negotiated this situation and here was my plan.
I will switch off the AC and then I will first pump the A pedal (with B and C pedal pressed) and once higher RPM is reached i will release the B and C pedal with serpentine steering movement.

Yes i was able to negotiate the spur though with some squeal from the tyres and loud grumble from the motor.

And about your point on the glowing Spark plug, i always try to let the humming sound vanish before i press the ignition.
For more information i am referring to Brumby who will definitely like to help us with a detailed explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
It is always advisable to wait till the fuel rail is up to the required pressure, even if you don't, no harm will occur to the starting system or the engine components. The reason for this are the above mentioned points.
Cheers
Old 10th August 2017, 12:07   #29
BHPian

Excellent review mountaineer, couldn't be better I am in the market for a small SUV and Brezza being one of the strong contenders, I am really happy to see the car is rattle free after an year of ownership. This is really inspiring, one more tick mark goes to Brezza.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 15:29   #30
BHPian

All diesel engines which do not have a feature to pre-heat the engine block have a glow plug to warm up the area around the combustion chamber. If the glow plugs are not working multiple cranking efforts will be required for starting in colder regions which will drain the battery. The ignition of fuel in diesel engines happens due to the heat generated by compression. In colder regions a first crank may not be able to raise the temperature high enough for ignition of air fuel mixture. As a rough estimate, if the cylinder block temperature is around 50 deg C or more a glow plug will not be required for starting the engine.
Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks