Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 18:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Driven: 2017 Mercedes E-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Fantastic review, and what an amazing car. I would however not be so blasé in writing off the E200. I suspect it would have more than enough power for most non enthusiasts. The one thing I can't figure out is why Mercedes has not chose to use the 300 petrol engine (sold on the GLC) on the E Class - that would make it a much more attractive proposition. The tire in the relatively small boot however may still be a deal-breaker for lots of folks - it the makes the car very unattractive for those who want to go out of town.
I bought the ( now previous gen) E200 last year in May and sold it in Nov!!! Reason - engine and gearbox. While the power and torque numbers don't look bad on paper, it fails to impress on the road. The thing is, you expect the car to pull through quick when you want it to and that doesn't happen, largely due to the unimpressive and often confused 7 speed gearbox. While I lost a lot of money in the process, the driver in me is happy with the 3 series that I just bought.
Things that I miss in the 3 series vs the E class ( I know they are different segments)- wheel well for a full sized spare and space ( though surprisingly the 3 isn't too far behind).
Old 26th May 2017, 19:04   #47
BHPian

E220d bookings started a while back, and deliveries will begin towards the second half of July. This might ease the pressure on production of the E200 which currently has long waiting periods; mainly due to being more affordable than the E350d.
Old 8th June 2017, 09:34   #48
BHPian

This might be slightly offtopic. But somehow illustrates what we all love about the E Class.

Came across this article in Motortrend about the E400 Estate. Its no secret that Jonny Lieberman loves Mercedes estates. But this particular paragraph was so sweet that i had to share in this forum.

Quote:
I was watching Silicon Valley (the HBO show) with my wife. A bright orange Lamborghini Aventador appeared on the screen, billionaire doors up. “What sort of car is that?” she asked me. “That’s an Aventador,” I said. “You’ve ridden in three of them. Two were Superveloces.” I say this to illustrate that my wife is not what you would call a car person. That said, I wanted her to drive the big Benz wagon to see what she made of it vis-à-vis her Allroad. I always find her insight fascinating because she tends to focus on different things than me. I’ll never forget giving her a full-on launch control run in a Nissan GT-R. What did she think? “It’s loud and bumpy.” After running the E400 wagon down to the coffee shop, she sent me two photos. One was of the gorgeous next-level deco woodwork Mercedes has draped all over the interior. The other was of the starter button; she loved it. “My favorite part!” she informed me. I’m not going to say that Mercedes is making the best interiors in the business. I am saying that this station wagon’s insides are more memorable to some than three Lamborghinis.
There is a later paragraph elucidating the build quality of the car, but then we already knew that about MB.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 09:54   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
here is a later paragraph elucidating the build quality of the car, but then we already knew that about MB.
Yes, but sadly MB India has messed up interiors badly here. With the missing TFT on Dash as well the comparatively poor choice of wooden trim & that straightish rear door on the LWB. They should have launched regular 6 cylinder Diesel one as well. Newer 530-D should be a no-brainer for guys who are looking some finer things as well simple options like choice of leather which currently eludes whole of MB India range. I was checking current S class and even after 3 Years of launch you can only choose Dark Exterior + Beige Interior or Light Exterior + Black Interiors. That too no leather as per MB India (Dealer sales guys) Leather smells in our conditions and Denim leave dark marks and even damage the leather. When I asked what happens in Maybach he had no answers MB Has some of great Interiors and Exteriors but for the sake of ease of local manufacturing they have fixed only a few combinations which surely is keeping some of the customers away from an otherwise modern lineup.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th June 2017 at 09:57.
Old 8th June 2017, 10:43   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Y I was checking current S class and even after 3 Years of launch you can only choose Dark Exterior + Beige Interior or Light Exterior + Black Interiors. That too no leather as per MB India (Dealer sales guys) Leather smells in our conditions and Denim leave dark marks and even damage the leather. When I asked what happens in Maybach he had no answers MB Has some of great Interiors and Exteriors but for the sake of ease of local manufacturing they have fixed only a few combinations which surely is keeping some of the customers away from an otherwise modern lineup.
The issue is that stuff comes here in kits so you cannot handle too much inventory costs amplifed by the duties paid. In Germany, the production of components is more granular so different permutation and combinations can be done on the fly.

Denim leaves marks - the Volvo S90 I tested had bad stain marks, my Jetta art leather has stains
Old 8th June 2017, 10:51   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Denim leaves marks - the Volvo S90 I tested had bad stain marks, my Jetta art leather has stains
Of course, it leaves but you can always keep it tidy if you clean this regular. Tell me how difficult is it for an owner of S class to ask chauffer to clean seats every day or with special leather care stuff once in a week or in the fortnight? Everyone else including 3-4 segment lower is giving leather.

Quote:
The issue is that stuff comes here in kits so you cannot handle too much inventory costs amplifed by the duties paid
That's not a valid reason if you are selling something for 12 Million INR. Look at BMW and see how many options they are giving on almost all of their cars. If I am not mistaken, seats are bought from a different vendor and trims from different and leather or synthetic is put at the time of assembly.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th June 2017 at 10:52.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 18:01   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
They should have launched regular 6 cylinder Diesel one as well. Newer 530-D should be a no-brainer for guys who are looking some finer things as well simple options like choice of leather which currently eludes whole of MB India range.
Completely agreed. Only launching the LWB is a deterrent for someone looking for a younger feeling driver's car.

Quote:
I was checking current S class and even after 3 Years of launch you can only choose Dark Exterior + Beige Interior or Light Exterior + Black Interiors.
It's actually even worse than that. Only a particular silver exterior gets the dark interior. Everything else has the beige interior, even white cars.

Quote:
That too no leather as per MB India (Dealer sales guys) Leather smells in our conditions and Denim leave dark marks and even damage the leather. When I asked what happens in Maybach he had no answers
I'm pretty sure the Maybach's (both 500 and 600) have the full leather interior - atleast as an option if not standard, as I've been in one S500 Maybach myself and it has the Designo leather interior with the perforated patterns on the dash.
Old 25th June 2017, 17:32   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove the E220D over nearly a 1000 miles in the UK over the past 10 days. I suspect the car concerned (which was a Euro 6 late 2016 variant) had the new 2 litre diesel in it. The engine felt a lot more refined than the old 2.2 l 220 D in the GLC I test drove here. Of course, that could have been partly because of the smooth roads - on the rare stretches of concrete road I came across, tire noise was immediately audible, and the car felt less smooth to drive.

Got an overall mileage of 10 miles per litre over the distance, which included London, Cambridge and Manchester traffic, beautiful twisty roads in the Lake District and loads of fast motorways.

Creature comforts were limited in this made for rental version - no sun roof, no electrically adjustable or memory seats. On the other hand, it was fully equipped for safety - rear parking cam, front and side radar, attention assist etc.

I am not sure if the long wheel base version sold here has a modified boot or not. But this one had no spare, had some unusable storage space below the boot floor, and barely accommodated 3 medium size bags above the floor. (The same bags fitted with more room to spare in our Vento). With a spare sitting in the boot (as in the India variants), it would be very impractical for long distance travel.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 16:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Is the 350d (OM656 -BS 6) going to trickle down from the S Class into the E350d any time soon?

The additional 28bhp should drop some time on the 0-100.
Old 23rd March 2018, 16:14   #55
BHPian

Are there any plans to launch the standard E (i.e. not LWB) ?
Old 23rd March 2018, 18:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
Are there any plans to launch the standard E (i.e. not LWB) ?
The only model that may be launched will be the AMG series, 43 and 63, because there are RHD models built overseas that can be brought in as CBU.

This thread mentions the same, Mercedes has made the long wheelbase specifically for India, they can't afford to let regular cars cannibalise the LWB versions. Buyers in this segment appreciate the space and most private customers are moving to SUVs.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 18:54   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Is the 350d (OM656 -BS 6) going to trickle down from the S Class into the E350d any time soon?

The additional 28bhp should drop some time on the 0-100.
That would be globally launced with W213 facelift end 2019-start 2020 globally.
So in India may be mid 2020 .

Last edited by AMG_ang : 23rd March 2018 at 18:57. Reason: Info has been updated.
Old 24th March 2018, 09:58   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The only model that may be launched will be the AMG series, 43 and 63, because there are RHD models built overseas that can be brought in as CBU.

This thread mentions the same, Mercedes has made the long wheelbase specifically for India, they can't afford to let regular cars cannibalise the LWB versions. Buyers in this segment appreciate the space and most private customers are moving to SUVs.
Main focus will be on the E220d All Terrain as well as the E43/E63 AMG's
Old 1st August 2018, 20:10   #59
BHPian

Hi Guys ,
Does Mercedes use technology similar to BMW run flat tyres in their tyres ?
If I am looking at purchasing the e class and my runs are mostly for out of town how do I go about this spare wheel issue in Mercedes where either I can keep the luggage or the wheel in the boot ?
If Mercedes do have RFT style technology then how long and what speeds can the tyre be used once it is punctures and is repaired on road?
Thanks in advance .
Old 12th October 2018, 15:48   #60
Team-BHP Support

Neat way of highlighting the cars USP

Driven: 2017 Mercedes E-Class-img_3675.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 12th October 2018 at 17:00. Reason: typo
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks