Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2017, 20:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Driven: 2017 Mercedes E-Class

Superb review! I am a little sad that Mercedes has made recent models of the car more finicky and "handle with care" type rather than the rugged, indestructible yet supremely drive-able and comfortable way it used to be in its older versions.
MinivanDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 20:41   #32
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes E Class LWB and Mercedes S Class

Driven: 2017 Mercedes E-Class-whitesideraised.jpg

Driven: 2017 Mercedes E-Class-mercedesw222sclass08.jpg

Not able to put a finger on it - but for some reason, the E Class looks bulbous when compared to sleeker/more proportional looking S Class. Could be because the window-line of E Class is quite high and windows are comparatively smaller.

Last edited by SmartCat : 28th March 2017 at 20:46.
SmartCat is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 20:49   #33
BHPian

Yes and additionally, I think the rear over hangs are longer in the S class. The C pillar appears to the thicker and join the waist line farther away from the rear window. Overall the S class appears to be far more proportional than the E class. The E class design is somehow not appealing to the enthusiast in me.
MinivanDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 07:18   #34
Team-BHP Support

Excellent report… Thank you!

It’s nice to see how Mercedes has reinvented itself as a brand by going back to its core strength –luxury and a sense of occasion. And they are pretty fast to bring in new models to India; Lexus maybe thinking how they got the timing so wrong with the launch of the new ES.

I am surprised that Mercedes has still not found a way to get a wheel well for the space-saver, especially when rivals like BMW have made that change in their newer models (X1, new 5 etc.)
Old 29th March 2017, 08:06   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic review, and what an amazing car. I would however not be so blasé in writing off the E200. I suspect it would have more than enough power for most non enthusiasts. The one thing I can't figure out is why Mercedes has not chose to use the 300 petrol engine (sold on the GLC) on the E Class - that would make it a much more attractive proposition. The tire in the relatively small boot however may still be a deal-breaker for lots of folks - it makes the car very unattractive for those who want to go out of town.

Last edited by manson : 24th April 2020 at 23:49. Reason: Typo.
Old 29th March 2017, 11:33   #36
BHPian

To 9 out of 10 people who ask me, I'll recommend this LWB (long wheelbase) E-Class over the 5-Series & A6. However, to that one crazy petrol-head, it'll be the 530d. She makes you smile behind the wheel in a way that the E-Class cannot.

Just wonder if Daimler sees it this way in India and China. While the actual ploy of the extended wheelbase blows off the natural competitors, is Merc looking at them at all? Or are they now moving towards the next segment - X5, Q7, S90, even the JLR brands in the 70-80L price bracket.

If this works, what's stopping them to offer LWB model for even other segments - G or CL?
Khushrav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 21:21   #37
BHPian

Just saw the E200 petrol taken for a test drive today, couldn't differentiate it immediately until I saw the badge (couldn't' notice if the alloys were 5 spoke). It seems to be driven in a sedate manner but it did look a lot like the S class from far. My friend who owns a fleet of luxury cars for his tourism business, said that all this time he used to buy diesel due to the long runs but with the price gap of nearly 20 lakhs, for the first time, he plans to buy the petrol instead and rather invest the odd 20 lakhs elsewhere. Since it's taken by the driver, clients would not be concerned on performance.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 29th March 2017 at 21:22.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 12:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The new Mercedes is a game-changer - I predict she's going to outsell the 5-Series & A6 combined (unless the latter two resort to significantly heavier discounting).
I am not entirely sure. Without the discounts, the outgoing W212 was offered at ~63L OTR Pune. However the V213 will be at 83L OTR. That's a difference of 20L.

Well for a Sahib, it probably doesn't matter. But you can't deny there ARE several guys out there who've stretched their budget / saved for a while hoping to buy their first Merc. For them an additional 20L OTR is something that would have put it well beyond them ...

When you add to it additional year over year outflow in terms of increased insurance prices, servicing costs etc, it's going to weigh even more (Yes, Merc have announced that their star care package for the new E class is less expensive then the one for the outgoing E, but only marginally ...)

Who's the E class clientele? More Sahibs or more of those who've stretched to buy their first Merc? I guess the success of this move will depend on that. Or would it mean those going for an S will now go for an E? But that would only re-shuffle the customer base, not increase it (beyond a point)! I think it's a chance Mercedes has taken and they can probably afford that given that India is a low volume market. If they can pull it off, it's a master stroke, if not they can always introduce the regular wheelbase 250 CDI later.

I hope it clicks for Merc, because that will force BMW and Audi to bring down their prices big time. I anyway thought the 520D and A6 matrix are quite overpriced

Wonder how BMW are gonna price their new 5'er ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The Mercedes E-Class has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 56.15 - 69.47 lakhs (ex-Mumbai).
Super review Ajmat!

BTW the lack of a spare-tyre (even space savers) is now common in the US (and possibly Europe too). I test drove an E 300 in Florida recently. The sales rep mentioned who gives a spare these days?

Actually even the mass market Honda Accord in the US comes with a tyre repair kit and no spare. Audi in the US though (probably one of the very few manufacturers) are providing a space saver.

It's hard to imagine why they would incur tool / jig / engineering costs to accommodate a wheel well where a spare can be placed in India.

Let's face it, these are the cars that are mainly manufactured with European / American customers in mind. Yes they've given us a long wheelbase, but they probably had a different kind of road in mind when they designed / engineered these cars!

Even the new 5'er though 'apparently' has a 'compartment' for the wheel, it is actually something that's carved out of the boot space, not a separate wheel well!

Sad that now matter HOW much they say 'Made in India', it is definitely not 'Made For India', at least not entirely ...

Last edited by ajmat : 4th April 2017 at 12:53.
Old 4th April 2017, 15:50   #39
BHPian

What a car this is turning out to be and the review is worthy of the car, or perhaps that should be the other way around!

As far as the faux leather is concerned, we have a large traditional well heeled potential customer base in India for Merc. The Jains and Marwaris of every community are very well to do as a whole and are critical target for Mercedes as potential customers. I just wish they had given customers the option of getting the cars fitted with leather. Still, I really don't see Stanley being filled with new E's waiting for all leather seating.

Between this and the new 530D, my heart would want the BMW, but, and given that I really am a petrolhead so this is a big, big deal, something I never thought would happen; the brain would be more than willing to sacrifice the bimmers drive pleasure to ensure a more comfortable drive for the entire family. Unless it a unanimous family decision that the 5 was good enough, even someone like me would consider the E. That is how good of a job Mercedes has done. The 18 lakh difference between the two engines is very unfortunate. I had hoped that the range would have included the E200, E250, E300, E350, E400 and E500 all at 2 lakh price increments. Now it appears that once again we will be stuck with the E200, E250 and the E350 at an audacious premium.

Given the new E class, one can only hope that BMW are very aggressive with their new launch pricings. Launching at an inflated price and then offering upto 12 lakh discounts to buyers after heavy negotiations is a stale tactic. Launching at market prices will send a clear message as well as attract more footfall into the showrooms. Alas, this will require them to drop prices all around, something I doubt they'd even consider doing.
Old 4th April 2017, 16:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Beautifully put together report and car!! I see the yawning 3 meter wheel base do a 'See Saw Margery Daw' on most of our speed humps.
Old 5th April 2017, 09:59   #41
BHPian

So I seen the new E class again today with a friend. Now IMHO, in isolation, it looks gorgeous but he threw up a statement that made me think twice, by calling it a 'relatively poor man's S class'. Since he can't afford the luxury or opulence of the S class, he went for the second best that provides him somewhat the same benefits but at a lower price. Now isn't that actually hurting the sentiment of an E class buyer that they bought themselves a wanna be S class? A unique car like BMW trying not to be a 7 series would have been more respectful? Another person may consider this a relative bargain considering you get the almost same luxury at half the sticker price! A different and interesting perspective apparently that never crossed my mind.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 5th April 2017 at 10:02.
Old 11th May 2017, 18:36   #42
BHPian

As originally reported by esteemed fellow member Arjun Reddy two months back, the smaller engined E 220d variant is coming.

Received a message a few days back from Mercedes dealership that the bookings have started for the E 220d variant. Forgot to mention it here. Or have someone else already broken the news here?

Is it coming with the new 2.0L Diesel or the existing 2413cc engine I don't know.
Old 11th May 2017, 19:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
As originally reported by esteemed fellow member Arjun Reddy two months back, the smaller engined E 220d variant is coming.

Received a message a few days back from Mercedes dealership that the bookings have started for the E 220d variant. Forgot to mention it here. Or have someone else already broken the news here?

Is it coming with the new 2.0L Diesel or the existing 2413cc engine I don't know.

Yeldo, this should be the Merc's all new 2.0. If it was the existing 2143 cc engine , the the E Class would have been available on this trim at launch. They just had to Lift and shift from the C250.

Will it be E220 or E250 d ? If it's 204 BHP and 500 nm tourque, that's what is available on the C 250 d. The C220d has 173 and 400 nm of torque. So expect some confusion with the E and C numeric nomenclatures.
Old 12th May 2017, 02:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Will it be E220 or E250 d ?
The message clearly said E220d. So whichever engine- new or existing one- comes, the model nomenclature is 220.

I did not call the salesperson, as I have currently no plans to look at the new E.

Had it been the regular wheelbase, I might have been interested. I drive mostly on my own, or when I take a driver, I always use the the co- driver's seat. And I prefer a firm and tight feel that a stretched wheelbase falls short of. That is why people like I look at the German brands in the first place, as many an old timer would say "Benz, not Impala"!
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 17:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India reports that the E 220d will be launched in India on June 2, 2017.

It will get a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine that makes 194 hp and 400 Nm of torque.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks