Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 22:12   #31

re: Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms

Congrats Mr Narayan on your great purchase.

I did have my reservations regarding to just what extent is this car related to the Camry, and it looks like there's more than enough to set it apart. As for the price, it may seem overpriced compared to rivals until one considers that when one spends that much money on a car, exclusivity, character and distinction from the rest are one of the aspects you pay for when buying such a car and this car has it in heaps. I freely ignore countless A6s, 5s and Es simply because they are just too common, whereas I still clearly remember the sight of a dark blue ES300h that I saw somewhere in Noida, back in May.

Each one's expectations may vary, but for a lot of people there is only so much comfort and kit one would want, and beyond that it's all about how special the process of buying and owning the car makes you feel, and the Germans can't quite manage it.
kpower11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 08:23   #32

re: Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms

Congratulations! Kudos to the step in right direction. Everyone in this community should start thinking about their carbon footprint. Being part of the Indian Automotive Industry we should herald this change.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Obi-Wan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 17:56   #33
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ES300h. Excellent review. Wish you Happy Journeys ahead in this wonderful car.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 20:48   #34

Amazing review, sir. Congratulations on the new Lexus. Wishing you loads of happy miles !!
rajesh1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 06:44   #35
BHPian

Congratulations Sir.
As always, practical and precise review.
Much more useful than the typical enthusiast's review which tend to focus on the driver experience more than other aspects of the car.
As a fellow Volvo owner, I am so proud of your taste in cars.
jfxavier is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 08:19   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congratulations V.Narayan & thanks for sharing this awesome ownership review. Gone straight to the homepage . First a Volvo XC60, now a Lexus ES300h - must say, you have a taste for different cars.
Thank you GTO for the encouragement & support. I am sending a link to this review to the India MD of Toyota.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
At 78 lacs on road Mumbai it is just too much.
Agree. Time will reveal what Toyota have in mind with their pricing strategy.
Quote:
It's a 3-C competitor internationally and here it is more than the 5 and the E.
Yes price wise internationally they position it with the 3/C and size wise with the 5/E. That makes sense. But in India the price puts that strategy out of shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Lexus had been eyeing the Indian market since 2006 / 2007, and had approached my then employer (a law firm) for advice on the Indian market's legal nitty gritties.
In whatever business dealings I have had with the Japanese (not in cars) one lesson is that they do their home work thoroughly (in their eyes) and endlessly (in our eyes).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Lexus in India may or may not sell as many as the big three Germans. They will sell in limited numbers, will carve out a niche customer base and this will slowly and steadily grow. I am sure that this is all the parent company Toyota really want.
I believe they have a 15 year horizon on what they want and where they intend to go. In my apartment complex itself I now see 4 Lexus cars. The nos 2 officer of Lexus globally was in India last month visiting dealers and customers personally to get a first hand feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpower11 View Post
I did have my reservations regarding to just what extent is this car related to the Camry, and it looks like there's more than enough to set it apart. As for the price, it may seem overpriced compared to rivals until one considers that when one spends that much money on a car, exclusivity, character and distinction from the rest are one of the aspects you pay for when buying such a car and this car has it in heaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Much more useful than the typical enthusiast's review which tend to focus on the driver experience more than other aspects of the car.
Thank you for reading the essay. My perspective is on life time cost-benefit of ownership over 7 to 10 years in terms of rupees, visits to the dealer, waiting for parts, aggravation, joy of driving, human touch & behavior, up-time of the car and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan View Post
Everyone in this community should start thinking about their carbon footprint. Being part of the Indian Automotive Industry we should herald this change.
Yup. Including our Govt! My next car - maybe 5 years out - will be a plug-in hybrid or all-electric.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Congratulations Sir.
As always, practical and precise review.As a fellow Volvo owner, I am so proud of your taste in cars.
Thank you Xavier. The feeling is mutual.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 10th August 2017 at 08:21.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 10:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
In whatever business dealings I have had with the Japanese (not in cars) one lesson is that they do their home work thoroughly (in their eyes) and endlessly (in our eyes).
Couldn't agree with you more. "Endlessly" is an understatement, and I remember getting almost frustrated with the Japs' repeated questions on the same points, , what seemed like over and over again, till they were completely satisfied. Very different from conversing with Westerners, for sure.

You Sir have bought into this tradition of having superb eye for details and perfection with your Lexus, and Im sure good things are in store with this magnificent machine.
arindambasu13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 10:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! First Lexus on tbhp. Being a Lexus the experience starts even before you have decided to buy the car, right from making that first phone call to test driving to actually delivery and if multiple consumer satisfaction surveys are to be believed, after sales too. Lexus is the Apple of car aftersales service and I am not surprised given my only dealing with them here in Melbourne even for a used Lexus was top notch.

15.9 kmpl in Delhi traffic for such a big barge is sensational. Heck a Wagon R would be proud to deliver such numbers. Keep us updated on the ownership. Enjoy.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 10th August 2017 at 10:29.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 18:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
15.9 kmpl in Delhi traffic for such a big barge is sensational. Heck a Wagon R would be proud to deliver such numbers. Keep us updated on the ownership. Enjoy.
Let us not forget it's a hybrid car. A hybrid WagonR could easily give you 20+.

The biggest appeal a hybrid will have over fully electrical vehicles, at least till we have charging infrastructure and abundant power, is the huge FE they seem to provide and the freedom from a wall mounted charging point with five to six hours of time spent in charging.

A few years ago Kirloskar had been in the news for having designed a plug in hybrid system that could be retrofitted to existing traditional cars. However nothing more was heard of it.

Here's the link. I guess the product is dead.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...echnology.html

Last edited by honeybee : 10th August 2017 at 18:59. Reason: Adding link of the Revolo thread
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 15:27   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
I loved the color.
Toyota use two base coats of paint on a Lexus (of a total of 6). One has large flakes of aluminum that reflect better in sunlight and the other has very tiny particles of aluminum that reflect better in cloudy weather/low light conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Coincidentally, the Lexus showroom in Bangalore is just a few steps from my current workplace. Keep gaping at the shiny new models displayed in the recently opened showroom, whenever I drive past on my way to work
Step in and seek a test drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I was amazed at the engineering brilliance of it. The way the engine+electric motor work was exactly how you described, you noticed the switch only if you payed close attention. It was seamless. Very recently, I was sitting in a friends Camry and noticed that when he hit the Start button, nothing happened. All the dials lit up, aircon was working. He slotted reverse and the car was moving on the electric motor. Slotted to D, light vibration felt from the engine cranking and we were off. No delay or anything. Pulled up to a traffic light, engine shuts down. Lights turn green, lifts off the brake, engine cranks and we're off. I was zapped. The way the engine shut down and restarted was smoother than the annoying Start Stop system in a 530D.
When Lexus design and test a new engine type they call in music experts and piano makers to listen to the engine sound and help the engineers harmonize the sound such that it is pleasant to listen to. I particularly liked this quest for excellence which I discovered in my homework towards the purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Lexus, which initially was a brand exclusive to the US market, its feels really good Toyota making it here and class of the people as you buying it right in our surroundings.
Interestingly Lexus was introduced to the Japanese market only in 2005 ie 16 years after its opening launch in USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Your purchase goes on to prove how important a sales team is even if they have an amazing car on hand. I'm a sucker for such etiquettes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
Das Germans could learn a thing or two from Lexus in-terms of ownership experience and reliability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishankpatel View Post
However it is a little overpriced compared to its competition! On the other hand, the proactivness and diligence of the Lexus team is quite impressive considering that it was one of the reasons why you went for the car!
Truly shows how important of a role the sales team plays, especially for a newly introduced luxury brand trying to get traction in a market where the competitors are relatively well established.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpower11 View Post
Each one's expectations may vary, but for a lot of people there is only so much comfort and kit one would want, and beyond that it's all about how special the process of buying and owning the car makes you feel, and the Germans can't quite manage it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Being a Lexus the experience starts even before you have decided to buy the car, right from making that first phone call to test driving to actually delivery and if multiple consumer satisfaction surveys are to be believed, after sales too. Lexus is the Apple of car aftersales service and I am not surprised given my only dealing with them here in Melbourne even for a used Lexus was top notch.
Lexus have understood that at this price point they are not selling a car but a big stroke to the ego, self respect, I have arrived feeling, etc. * And that is so true. No mater how shrewd or seasoned or mature we get we love being made to feel important and wanted. And their training and corporate style seems geared in that direction from the top man down. I cannot speak for Audi, BMW or JLR as I never did any homework on them but in my personal experience Mercedes has scope for improvement. In October to December 2016 I spoke at length to 12 in my circle who drive a Mercedes today. 2 said they were satisfied, 2 said the car was great while the service was not, 1 said both car and service are excellent (he is a cousin of the owners of the Gurgaon dealer) and 7 expressed dis-satisfaction with car and service to varying degrees from disdain to cursing. It really is sad. When I was a kid owning a Mercedes was the ultimate status symbol - even the name and symbol are so beautiful. But somewhere they have lost their way at least in India. I hope things change.

* In fact a car is the biggest asset you buy after your house. And no matter what the price point it is a very big event in the life of the buyer and his family. Dealers can get so much out of customer loyalty by tuning in to this aspect. Some do some don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Yep, here is the email that I sent him. Kinda broke my heart a little bit because I've always adored the brand. They are in no position to dilly dally around. On both occasions, I waited 4-6 weeks without a test drive or any revert from the dealer before deciding against the brand. If they can't be bothered to chase a lead I can only imagine how it would be like when I want to get the car serviced.
I looked back at my last 3 letters to the Volvo CEO (about 18 months ago) and interestingly I too did not receive any reply from him. Bad and sad for them.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 12th August 2017 at 15:31.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 18:48   #41
BHPian

Wow ! Congrats V.Narayan !
You finally bit the bullet. Quite a surprising choice, I must say.

But after going through your review, your choice finally does make sense.
I too used to look at the Lexus range of cars as glorified Toyotas made for the American market. No doubt, this feeling was inspired by auto journalists touting them as such. I have only sat in a Lexus in my childhood in the Middle East. It didn't seem much different from a Toyota Crown at that time. Having no personal experience with the newer models and having seen Lexuses only from afar, I didn't feel them value for money. Especially with our present duty structure on CBUs.

However, your review and relevant pictures, give a different perspective on this car. This definitely is no "decked up" Camry. My father has a Camry which he prefers to be chaufered around in. However, the interiors of his car are no match to this ES300h. Now it actually makes sense to buy one of these. Especially if you wish to make a statement as you "arrive" at a place.

It is quite sad that there was no response from Volvo management to your queries regarding the S90 T8. Perhaps you would have waited a bit longer if they had responded. Anyway, Volvo's loss is Lexus's gain.

The Lexus pre and after sales mentality that you describe is unheard of even among the German trio and other luxury brands (Volvo included). Makes you feel as if you just purchased a car with a Spirit of Ecstasy on the bonnet. Its' heartening to know that they are maintaining this philosophy in India.
Combine this feeling, and what is essentially a proven bullet proof engine, you can be assured of a stress free ownership experience. Rest assured your wife and family will have a safe and comfortable time being chauffeured in this car.

Once again my heartiest congratulations on your latest acquisition. Now I have one more thread to follow in this forum.
Wish you happy miles ahead
psispace is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 00:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
[

Key Purchase Criteria
An excellent review of an excellent car, Sir.

Your kind and very detailed initial report sums up a Lexus:

Eminently enjoyable but equally sensible,

Classy but thrifty and responsible, and

Subtle and elegant but not ubiquitous or unremarkable.

Your purchase means that enthusiasm need not always be about 0-60 figures or cornering thrills alone, but also can be about true appreciation by a fastidious owner of even the smallest and most meticulous of his car's details.

Wish you and your car many many happy miles!

Last edited by Yeldo : 15th August 2017 at 00:17.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 23:15   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
I too used to look at the Lexus range of cars as glorified Toyotas made for the American market. No doubt, this feeling was inspired by auto journalists touting them as such.
Dear Doc, thank you for your kind wishes. I followed in your footsteps with the Volvo and now you can follow mine with a Lexus for your father Your write up on your S60 was my first step towards the Volvo!

Quote:
The Lexus pre and after sales mentality that you describe is unheard of even among the German trio and other luxury brands (Volvo included). Makes you feel as if you just purchased a car with a Spirit of Ecstasy on the bonnet. Its' heartening to know that they are maintaining this philosophy in India.
I will be watching their after sales service like a hawk and sharing my observations on the thread for the benefit of our readers. The attention and courtesy pre and post sales makes me believe I am the best thing that happened after sliced bread was invented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
An excellent review of an excellent car, Sir.

Your kind and very detailed initial report sums up a Lexus:

Eminently enjoyable but equally sensible,

Classy but thrifty and responsible, and

Subtle and elegant but not ubiquitous or unremarkable.
You have summed it up eloquently. I recall your factual and balanced posts on the thread "Lexus ES300h launched at Rs 55 lakhs". It seems you have more than a little experience with the car/brand.
Quote:
Your purchase means that enthusiasm need not always be about 0-60 figures or cornering thrills alone,
I firmly believe in India with our city traffic and mixed traffic chaos on highways attributes such as top speed, acceleration and cornering grip have little meaning. Or maybe I am just not a young man any more.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 06:20   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, I will differ from my own experience, Lexus at least in Canada is probably more expensive than BMW. Repairs are expensive and many extras jobs are done in name of recommended service, they have a very nice marketing printout for every vehicle where they list costs of services till around 1 lac Km & pitch low costs at the time of sale. But the actual expenses are much more, Like they did a brake service on our LX at 32000 Km whereas per sales print it should be at 48000. All filters including ones in the cabin are invariably replaced even though these are marked as to be checked/ cleaned/ replaced in the service manual and these are never mentioned on that marketing brochure either. Recently they diagnosed complaint of vibrations while braking to faulty Brake Pads and a worn out front bearing & also suggested tyre balancing, they gave an estimate of around 2000 CAD. The bearing is surprisingly not covered under warranty due to wear & tear item.Normally my Son would have given them a go-ahead but since I was in Canada, I thought of taking it elsewhere for a recheck and went to an independent Tyre chain- Kal Tyres and got tyres rotated as well balanced, everything went back to normal. I showed the estimate of Lexus to KAL Tyres and they were like these guys waived off balancing and rotation charges ( about 100 $ or so ) as a goodwill My brakes are good for another 10-15K and we will surely stop going to Lexus dealership as soon as our warranty gets over.

So let's hope they don't get greedy here.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th August 2017 at 06:48.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 06:49   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Sir.

It's a review I have been waiting for, and the content did make the wait well worth it. It's easily one of the best initial ownership reports I have seen on this forum.

Wish you many happy miles with the Lexus.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed