Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2019, 13:46   #181
BANNED

re: Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I think it's different.

Power split device, that's what Toyota calls it. Lexus Hybrid Drive and Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive use the same drivetrain designs, two planetary gearsets linking the engine and two electric motor-generators.

It's not a CVT like the belt and cone designs used on Nissans. Toyota also call their hybrid transmissions eCVTs because they also have variable gear ratios, although the overall designs are completely different.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post10191469

And this Video probably explains in details
Yes that was a very informative video. I am subscribed to this channel but have not seen this video before. Its interesting to learn that the eCVT is actually a motor/generator setup unlike conventional CVT with push belt.

But still it doesnt take away from the fact that there is a conventional parking pawl and a parking gear inside this high tech CVT. If that breaks its going to have to be opened.

The parking pawl can be seen at around 15:00 minutes and the parking gear later in the video, its marked as such and we can see the notch for pawl engagement.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 16:02   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms

Lexus have earned their place back in my good books. Their National Heads for Sales and Customer Service were both very responsive on phone and mail. The car has been taken to the alternative dealer. Repairs will take 2 weeks mainly due to one part needing to come from Japan. After a short hiatus where I wondered where their service attitude had gone all seems well for now. Two of their India senior management are visiting Delhi next week and I have invited them home for tea.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 19:23   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

The National Head of Sales Neeraj Sharma came home for tea. A young competent man. Good to see young people in the C-suite. He has been a lifer with Toyota-Lexus. Shared my experiences with Lexus service, the car, reason for selecting Lexus over Mercedes, things the car can improve on and so on. Good to experience Lexus's total pandering of its customers. Photos below of the dented vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-lexus-1.jpg  

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-lexus-2.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 20:58   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Bagheera the panther is back. Peace returns to my corner of earth. The total cost of repair = Rs 66,800/- of which I paid Rs 2000/- and insurance covered the rest.

Smack!
Attached Thumbnails
Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-mar2019-.jpg  

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-mar-2019-b.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 9th March 2019 at 21:01.
V.Narayan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 21:32   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Bagheera the panther is back. Peace returns to my corner of earth. The total cost of repair = Rs 66,800/- of which I paid Rs 2000/- and insurance covered the rest.

Good to see the beauty is restored to its original form.

Can you please mention on a high level what were the parts replaced, changed or painted just to know the how the total cost of repair is calculated.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 08:48   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Can you please mention on a high level what were the parts replaced, changed or painted just to know the how the total cost of repair is calculated.
A photo is worth a 1000 words. This plus some insulation packing and fitting materials
Attached Thumbnails
Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-mar2019-.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 13:50   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

30,000 kms; 3rd Service

Last month my steel grey panther clocked in her third service at the 30,000 kms mark. Total cost Rs 24,000 odd. Thus far over 30,000 kms the cost of service has been Rs 58,000 plus Rs 2000 as my share for denting-painting repair which comes to a grand total of Rs 60,000 or Rs 2.00 per kms towards maintenance. I wonder how this compares with the German-III. The third service was nothing unusual. The regular change of fluids, tyre rotation, cleaning and greasing. The hybrid part and associated batteries needed no maintenance except a check. This time I used Toyota's pick up and drop service and paid by credit card at my home. Over my four interactions with the Toyota-Lexus maintenance crews friends have been made and a letter of appreciation sent to the dealer's CEO praising the team on the shop floor. It helps to be avuncular.

In between the service checks she has needed no maintenance.

The car is 27 months old and has clocked 31,000 kms in Delhi-NCR and to nearby towns - Sonepat, Palwal, Rewari, Meerut etc - and so gets her fair share of broken roads and oversized rural rumble strips. She runs smooth as a baby's bottom. No niggles, no groans. I like the quietness of the cabin and the cushioned ride the best along with the classy woodwork in the cabin. I dislike the low ground clearance the most. Given that it is a hybrid and less likely to be banned by Delhi-NCRs green cops she has settled in for a 10 to 12-year ownership run.

Some photos for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-lexus-30-jun-19-.jpg  

Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-lexus-30-jun-19-b.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 21:38   #188
BHPian

Congrats again V. Narayan !

She is looking dapper and seem to be running flawlessly as expected.

Wish you many more happy miles.
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 21:44   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
Congrats again V. Narayan !

She is looking dapper and seem to be running flawlessly as expected.

Wish you many more happy miles.
Thankyou Sir. I am looking forward for an update on your Volvo :-)
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 01:54   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
30,000 kms; 3rd Service

Given that it is a hybrid and less likely to be banned by Delhi-NCRs green cops she has settled in for a 10 to 12-year ownership run.

Some photos for your viewing pleasure.
Sir, Do you recommend the ES considering your ownership ( high price tag, low ground clearance which causes it to hit high speedbreakers and lack of a few features like apple car play ) or do you think that competitors have better options ? How do you rate the NX ?

I personally find it baffling that they continue to raise prices even though sales are abysmal.

Last edited by M00M : 3rd July 2019 at 01:57.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:04   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Do you recommend the ES considering your ownership ( high price tag, low ground clearance which causes it to hit high speedbreakers and lack of a few features like apple car play ) or do you think that competitors have better options ? How do you rate the NX ?
The positives of the Lexus ES300 versus Mercedes E in my opinion are as follows -

Positives: Utmost Reliability; Excellent & courteous After Sales Service - in this Lexus is so far ahead of the other OEMs that a comparison is irrelevant; fuel efficiency, primarily due to the hybrid factor

Negatives: Cost and no discounts; bragging rights; looks vs the E; entertainment features

Neutral items: GC is equally good or bad in both; interiors are comparable - Merc is more glitzy, ES is more muted but overall quality is at par

Which car you purchase will depend on which attributes are priority for you. For me reliability, sound engineering and great ASS counted above all else and the budget though about Rs. 10 lakhs above my plan was within striking distance given that it is being purchased for a 10-year run.

The NX is a factor of taste and preferences. I have driven it and given my two bits on the two NX threads. It is the zippy Lexus baby. If a mid-sized SUV/CrossOver is what you seek the Volvo XC60 is a better bet or the Volvo XC40 if your requirement is for a smaller size. As the owner of a Volvo I would give top marks to Volvo's engineering and reliability - 56,000 kms and not a wrinkle out of place.

Hope this helps. all the best with your decision process.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 15:15   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

The car started flashing a message that the battery of the key is running low. So I called up Lexus. I told them I wouldn't know where to go and buy a watch type miniature battery. So they sent a man with that tiny battery who replaced it in my key. Only charged for the battery and not the home service. I would not have minded it even if they had charged for the to and fro. Nice touch of service.
V.Narayan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 19:45   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I personally find it baffling that they continue to raise prices even though sales are abysmal.
It is not a mass production car. Meant for a handful.

Also they can make enough money on each.
Old 27th August 2019, 20:40   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

Don't agree with your view point respectfully. If they wish to remain and sell 1 car a month then that doesn't do justice to the efforts of the sales people who are dutifully trying to push the car.

I personally almost bought it until Lexus increased prices again and rendering it absurdly more pricier than even the BS6 E class.
M00M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 21:05   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

I agree, the way Lexus has projected themselves here and priced their products, it’s indeed for the chosen few, certainly not for a regular customer shopping for a premium car.

I won’t be surprised if Lexus India is merged with Toyota sometime in near future given the overheads of Lexus India team and the measly sales they do.

They had a USP - hybrid and trouble free ownership, their choice was simple- price high and keep CBU and sell limited or price competitively, sell in numbers and make a case to HQ for CKD, unfortunately they choose to sell little.

It’s not a Rolex that people will buy without comparing with Omega. If someone has to pay a Toyota tax, better give to Toyota over Lexus.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th August 2019 at 21:07.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed