Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2017, 22:21   #46
BHPian

Re: 1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonline View Post
Looks great...had it been black alloys it would have enhanced the look manifold. Did you get these online?
Thanks mate! Yes, purchased online from ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonline View Post
By the way I'm shocked to hear that Honda is supplying rusted parts for assembly, which has to be coated/painted when a customer complains about it
Well, for us its rusted and not good. As per Honda, even if rusted, its going to perform its intended job for years without any issues. So, they save cost. Think of it as 3000 Jazz + 7000 City cars are being manufactured in a typical month. Painting cost + time + labor cost per car is 50/- per car, so the total cost saved by Honda is 5Lac per month only from this.

Yes, these things "weren't" expected from Honda, but like I said earlier in this review, Honda's graph has been a downward trend. Thanks.

Last edited by Nohonking : 9th July 2017 at 22:23. Reason: correcting a punctuation error
Nohonking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 22:06   #47
BHPian

An update further, sharing below the response received from Honda on the 2 issues(rusted tie rods and incorrectly billed for the quantity of engine oil at 2 different HASS). While I appreciate them and the HASS for having taken care of my concerns, without commenting I leave it completely unbiased on the audience to comprehend their reply to me. Thanks.

Quote:
Dear Sir,

With reference to your concerns we would like to submit as follows:

# Related rusting on tie rod:
The rusting observed in your vehicle during the inspection has been found to be superficial in nature and it has no affect whatsoever on the performance of the car over time. You would acknowledge that all parts fitted to the car (specially the ones with no aesthetic value) may develop superficial rust on the exposed area.We assure you of the performance and quality of the vehicle and request you to not keep any apprehension on the same.

# Related engine oil amount:
We understand that our dealership have already confirmed you to refund you the excess amount charged for engine oil. We have taken necessary counter measures to avoid recurrence of the similar concern.The same was a clerical error and taken up with respective person in charge.

For any further assistance please do write again.

Kind regards,

Customer Relations
Honda Cars India Ltd.
PS: Purged out the undersigned name from the quoted text to maintain privacy.

Last edited by Nohonking : 11th July 2017 at 22:09. Reason: correcting lingo
Nohonking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 15:45   #48
BHPian

No hesitation in announcing that this is one of the "Top 5 most loved" posts I have ever seen on Team-BHP. Very detailed indeed. Nohonking, you are speaking my mind almost 80% of the time !

After owning Maruti Swift for 11 years, in September 2016 I switched to Jazz VMT (Orchid White). Initially it was difficult. I was not used to "Out of Sync" behavior of Jazz. Out of sync means, you press the throttle and hear the engine revving..but that does not reflect in speed immediately. Swift was simple. Press the throttle and get the speed accordingly. I have suffered a lot initially. But slowly got used to it. Now I admire her almost noiseless cabin, sluggish yet refined engine, slightly better build quality than Swift. But Jazz demands careful driving. She likes to be pampered properly. Swift was always ready for you to abuse her and yet be smiling next day ! Body roll is less in Jazz and feels more planted.. may be because of longer wheelbase. You pointed it out correctly. One more thing I like about Jazz is that she is absolutely noiseless under good road conditions. The very first compliment I got from my father (who is my best critic) was that this is more silent than Swift !
The only other thing I feel the Jazz lacks in comparison with Swift is that the feel of steering. Although it is light at low speeds and sufficiently heavy on highways, I think it is bit lifeless. It does it's job well but I would have liked it to "connect with the road" a bit more. But these are small things and can be ignored. Overall good car !

Bookmarking this post because I think our wavelengths match.

Cheers !!

Last edited by abhaybakshi : 21st July 2017 at 15:47.
abhaybakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 07:41   #49
BHPian

Fuel gauge on my Jazz has only 1 bar left today and I found engine to be very refined and with more torque (wow ).

Everytime fuel level is low (last 2/3 bars), I have observed that the car gets much more smoother. She is more quieter and there is increase in pickup at low RPM's.

Anyone here has observed this behavior (or vice versa ?).

Nohonking, any comments ?

Last edited by abhaybakshi : 25th July 2017 at 07:42.
abhaybakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 18:29   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
Everytime fuel level is low (last 2/3 bars), I have observed that the car gets much more smoother. She is more quieter and there is increase in pickup at low RPM's.

Anyone here has observed this behavior (or vice versa ?).

Nohonking, any comments ?
Dear Abhaybakshi,

Apologies for the delayed response. Why? Simple, had to wait my Jazz go low on the fuel and then let me focus on the points(smoother, quieter, torque-y) mentioned by you.

So, I did let it reach the 2 pointer and drove it for about 30 km today morning to the HP "company owned company operated" filling station where the range showed 42 km.

1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-filling.jpg

Then post 34.9 L of filling(at auto-cut), again focused on those points on my way back to notice if there is indeed any difference felt?

My observations:

Smoother: No difference noticed. Same as before.

Quieter: No difference noticed. Same as before.

Better torque: Well, felt it was slightly better while I drove all the way to feed her than while drove her back fully loaded. A possible & a most logical reason could be the "added weight of fuel"(~almost half that of an adult).

Lesser the weight = More BHP per kg = Slightly better pickup(~torque)

That said, this difference wasn't that significant.

On another note, you can see MID says 18.1 kmpl. The car did 605 km in 34.9 litres at auto-cut. So using tank full to tank full method, the FE is 17.34 kmpl, driven all local but on open roads with an attempt to avoid the traffic as far as possible.

Thanks and do drive your car safely!

Cheers // Simmi
Old 31st July 2017, 14:18   #51
BHPian

Thank you !

It seems to me that fuel quality may be the culprit here. To test this theory, I filled at different Shell fuel bunk and the car seems refined throughout. I will post more observations if any here.

Insurance renewal is due and I am thinking to go for comprehensive insurance instead of zero dep. Will save me a whopping 7.5k. As usual dealer is insisting on zero dep insurance but I am a sedate and careful driver. So the chances of me hitting someone is almost zero (can't say others hitting me !). But still I think spending 7.5k more for zero dep. is not worth.

Last edited by abhaybakshi : 31st July 2017 at 14:19.
Old 1st August 2017, 14:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking
Hi Nohonking, a question for you if you can answer. I'm noticing a slight vibration in the gas pedal on both idle and running since yesterday. It's not obvious when driving with a shoe but really noticeable when driving barefoot. I'm sure the vibration was not there before. I just completed my first service as well.

Have you noticed any such vibration in the pedal in your car? I feel occasional vibration in the gear lever but that happens when on low RPMs and goes away but this is new to me.

As it's happening in idle as well, I'm discounting the tyres or their pressure. Could it be something wrong with the engine or the cable connecting the pedal to engine? I wonder if it's something serious to take it to the service center immediately.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 11:30   #53
BHPian

Good day Yieldway17,

Apologies for the delayed response. Didn't get any notification for having being quoted. Just checked my thread to notice your query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I'm noticing a slight vibration in the gas pedal on both idle and running since yesterday. It's not obvious when driving with a shoe but really noticeable when driving barefoot.
There isn't any vibration in the gas pedal felt in my car. However, I have had never a chance of driving it barefooted. Not even with slippers as a matter of fact. Hence not in a position to advise you true sense.

Quote:
I feel occasional vibration in the gear lever but that happens when on low RPMs and goes away but this is new to me.
Your observation is correct. While picking up in 3rd gear with your had resting on the leather wrapped knob waiting to pull it back to 4th, some vibrations are felt. However, these will eventually fade as you'll put in more mileage to your carriage. A significant difference will be felt after about 5K on the odo. So no need to worry, let your car run-in further.

Quote:
I wonder if it's something serious to take it to the service center immediately.
IMO, these vibrations in the gas pedal(felt barefooted) are nothing to worry about and do not think you need to show it at HASS. Also, certain minor changes are evident as you subject your car to wear(running-in). Thanks.

Take good care & wish you a happy driving.

Cheers!
Old 10th August 2017, 14:08   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Good day Yieldway17,

IMO, these vibrations in the gas pedal(felt barefooted) are nothing to worry about and do not think you need to show it at HASS. Also, certain minor changes are evident as you subject your car to wear(running-in). Thanks.

Take good care & wish you a happy driving.

Cheers!
Thank you! That makes me not to worry when on the road. And thanks again for answering my questions patiently.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 14:00   #55
BHPian

The mileage on my 1 year old petrol jazz (VMT) has dropped to 14kkmpl from 17kmpl in city driving conditions. As I understand, general characteristics of engine is that once the engine run-in is over, the mileage increases slowly and then settles. I had my first paid service last week and I told this drop in mileage to SA. He assured me that it will increase a bit after servicing but it has not happened. Anyone else has observed similar behavior ?
Old 30th August 2017, 00:19   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I had my first paid service last week and I told this drop in mileage to SA. He assured me that it will increase a bit after servicing but it has not happened. Anyone else has observed similar behavior ?
Dear abhaybakshi,

Do you mind sharing how much mileage did you put in before the 4th service?
By any chance, did you get to look at the condition of the drained oil for how dirty or broken was it?
Was the air filter replaced or simply cleaned and refitted?
Also, how many kms have you done post this service so as to infer no betterment in the mileage?
What is the MID mileage?

What have I observed is, post oil change, the mileage doesn't improve instantaneously, rather, the engine needs some few hundred kms to get attuned to the fresh blood(read it 0w20). I'd say, 1 full tank of running post oil change(~600 km) and from there on the next filling that you may start measuring the figures using the tank full to tank full method.

Some suggestions for better FE:

If you are purely driving in the city traffic a.k.a. too much "stop & go" and bumper to bumper snarls, may be it'll be a good idea going with an additional 2 psi in all the 4 (34/32). This will remarkably improve the mileage without any noticeable impact on the ride comfort.

It is better to get the air filter replaced unless it is fairly clean to fit again. Air filter directly impacts the performance(pickup) of your car(and hence the mileage).

Jazz offers excellent scooting(perhaps the best), make the most of it if you desire to achieve magical kmpl figures. How? Simple, on the very sight of that traffic junction or the speed breaker or descending a flyover/getting in an underpass, lift up your foot from the gas pedal. (I do this 99% of the times)

Avoid short runs(5-6 km or lesser) as much as possible. (I do this almost 70% or more)

Avoid peak hour traffic if possible. (I do this almost 90% of the times)

Accelerate gradually, avoid hash and unnecessary braking. (I 99% follow this)

Avoid engaging the clutch as far as possible. Shift it into neutral while idling at a signal or any such possibilities in bumper to bumper traffic (depends).

Hot weather has an adverse affect on engine performance delivery but this can't be avoided. Live with it.

Lastly, idling can't be avoided for air-con is running but minimizing it will surely help.

Hope these help. Follow them and I am sure your 1199cc i-vtec will deliver you 18-19 kmpl in city driving for sure.

Cheers!

Last edited by Nohonking : 30th August 2017 at 00:29. Reason: fixing a typo
Old 30th August 2017, 11:04   #57
BHPian

Thank you Nohonking. Please see below.
Do you mind sharing how much mileage did you put in before the 4th service?
>>>It was around 17 when 3rd servicing was done. Then it slowly dropped to 14 and now settled there.

By any chance, did you get to look at the condition of the drained oil for how dirty or broken was it?
>>>After servicing last week, I checked the dipstick and confirmed that oil is pale golden colour. By this I assume that the oil was fully replaced.

Was the air filter replaced or simply cleaned and refitted?
>>>It was cleaned and refitted.

Also, how many kms have you done post this service so as to infer no betterment in the mileage?
>>>Only about 100 KM so far

What is the MID mileage?
>>>Around 10700 KM

I have observed that I can still "extract" 15 kmpl but then I have to drive my car too gently and this makes the already impatient Pune people go mad !!
As you have suggested, I will check if there is increase in mileage after few more KM's.
Old 31st August 2017, 09:52   #58
BHPian

Just an update for Nohonking... the mileage has increased till 14.9kmpl as on today when driven below 3k RPM all the time. I think you can extract best mileage in city if you drive her below 3k revolutions all times. Now this requires lot of patience !!
abhaybakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 11:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I think you can extract best mileage in city if you drive her below 3k revolutions all times. Now this requires lot of patience !!
Very much tests the patience, because 3000 rpm is the iVtec's sweet spot, and the engine begs to be the revved on and sounds so sweet after 3000 rpm
jetti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 19:35   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Just an update for Nohonking... the mileage has increased till 14.9kmpl as on today when driven below 3k RPM all the time.
Thanks abhaybakshi for the update. Happy to hear your lovely car is returning better FE and way to go!

Quote:
I think you can extract best mileage in city if you drive her below 3k revolutions all times. Now this requires lot of patience !!
Wow! Do you really have to rev it past 3k rpm in city driving conditions? If that's the case, I believe yours isn't a sedate driving style and you are always looking for 'that punch' which isn't Jazz's character. IMO, in 1st and 2nd gears, crossing 2000 rpm gives you adequate push in bumper to bumper traffic or accelerating upon that signal just turned green, and that are the only scenarios in the city which really need revving hard. In 3rd and the overdrive gears, ranging it between 1500 - 2000 rpm delivers enough in the everyday city commutes, while maintaining an excellent trade-off with the fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
Very much tests the patience, because 3000 rpm is the iVtec's sweet spot, and the engine begs to be the revved on and sounds so sweet after 3000 rpm
I am a very patient driver on the road. And ever since I earned my 'BHPian' degree and then put TBHP stickers on both my Hondas, I am rather extra careful on the roads as any irresponsible/misbehaved acts(such as over-speeding, honking, rash driving, barging over other's lane, changing lanes without prior indication, disrespecting pedestrians etc.) on my part will affect TBHP's brand image. The moment I get behind the steering wheel, I speak to myself:

"I am surrounded by senseless, ill-mannered and impatient and I am a different league altogether."

And honestly, this indeed helps in winning the mental game! That said, I do not remember when did I last rev it past 3000 rpm within the city limits. I think it was during the running-in period(and post 750km) when I was subjecting her to taste the varied rpms in 3rd and 4th gears and got to hear that sweet sound of i-vtec inside the cabin which otherwise loves peace.

Keep revvin',
Simmi

Most Viewed