Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2017, 20:05   #61
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: 1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT

Am surprised at the mileage figures being quoted here. I don't know what am I doing differently. I drive approximately 50km a day in Mumbai, reasonable mix of bumper to bumper and 'flyover' traffic. I have completed 5500km to date but am getting only 13.2-13.3 as per the MID. The maximum I have got on the highway is 21.1 (Ahmedabad to Mumbai) and 19.5 from a couple of spins on the Mumbai Pune expressway. My vehicle is a petrol (v CVT). Anyone from Mumbai who's getting significantly higher mileage?
Or do the mileage figures quoted belong to the MT?
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 22:45   #62
BHPian

Hi handsofsteel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Am surprised at the mileage figures being quoted here.
No surprise, Hondas are very fuel efficient cars, especially the Jazz/Fit and the City/Fit Aria. Google it and you'll find global instances of people talking high of 'kmpl', 'mpg' and 'gallons per 100 miles' both MT & CVT.

Just to share, the weekend gone by, I did a 253 km trip with on my dad's '08 Honda City ZX(1498cc i-DSI) and achieved ~26 kmpl(with air-con always on, 3 occupants, 50% boot space occupied). Not to mention, in terms of FE, Honda's i-DSI motor stands above the i-vtec. Whereas i-DSI is more suitable for driving with in city offering excellent lower range torque(peaks at as low as 2700 rpm) than being revved high on the highways, its 'the drivability', where the i-vtec brings the best of both the worlds with its dual-profile valve timing which intelligently keeps switching based upon inputs from ECU(and ofcourse your driving style).

Quote:
I don't know what am I doing differently. I drive approximately 50km a day in Mumbai, reasonable mix of bumper to bumper and 'flyover' traffic. I have completed 5500km to date but am getting only 13.2-13.3 as per the MID.
I am pretty much sure, there's something to do with your driving style than with your vehicle. I cannot figure it out unless I sit next to you to pin point.

On the lighter side - Stop using "hands of steel" on your Jazz, she rather deserves a lighter hand!

Quote:
The maximum I have got on the highway is 21.1 (Ahmedabad to Mumbai) and 19.5 from a couple of spins on the Mumbai Pune expressway.
This is pretty much respectable.

Quote:
My vehicle is a petrol (v CVT). Anyone from Mumbai who's getting significantly higher mileage?
We are talking about manual transmission variant here. But let me tell you that story is no different with CVTs.

BHPian GKMahajan owns a '15 Jazz V CVT which he had bought exactly 12 days after I got home my V MT. GK sir keeps frequenting between Mumbai & Pune. Regarding FE, he has put it lovely in this post in his wonderfully detailed thread. Quoting below highlights:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
On 16 Nov 2015, I left Pune at 5:45 am to reach Mira Road at about 9:00 am. I had a friend with me for most of the journey. Got stuck in two traffic jams - total time lost about 30 minutes. Total distance covered about 160.7 km with a 10 min nature halt. Average 20.8 kmpl! Note: it had peaked at 22.2 kmpl.
Quote:
On 27 Nov 2015, left Mira Road at 3:45 pm - to reach Pune at 7:45 pm - many thanks to heavy traffic through out the 164.5 km. Average 16.9 kmpl! I am thrilled! The car climbed the ghats with two of us - each 80+ kg - comfortably. Throughout the journey, the car crossed 2000 rpm only twice - that too in the ghats - that too for quickly overtaking trucks!
Would suggest you catch up with GK sir someday and check out on his driving style and may be much more lies there to be discovered!

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Cheers // Simmi
Nohonking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 09:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Hi handsofsteel,

BHPian GKMahajan owns a '15 Jazz V CVT which he had bought exactly 12 days after I got home my V MT. GK sir keeps frequenting between Mumbai & Pune. Regarding FE, he has put it lovely in this post in his wonderfully detailed thread. Quoting below highlights:

Would suggest you catch up with GK sir someday and check out on his driving style and may be much more lies there to be discovered!

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Cheers // Simmi
Dear Simmi / Nohonking,

Thanks for quoting me. At the time that I wrote all that - I had felt that I took too much time. When somebody like you quotes me, I feel honored.

By the way, the Honda Jazz V CVT Oct 2015 is with my wife since Sep 2016. She uses it for 2~5 km drives! The last time I checked she got 10 kmpl. I sat with her and monitored 'Range'. Every time that she took the car out of parking and parked the car, it dropped by 1~2 km! Note: our parking is complex!! Anyway, we both agree that for the ease and comfort of driving, this is a small price to pay.

By they way, I thank you for being host on my behalf and inviting for a 'catch up'. I would just love that. If any of you are in and around Pune during the second or fourth weekend, then please feel free to contact me on +91 9850 832 312. As a bonus, you can even try out my Scorpio S10 AT!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan

Quote:
Am surprised at the mileage figures being quoted here. I don't know what am I doing differently. I drive approximately 50km a day in Mumbai, reasonable mix of bumper to bumper and 'flyover' traffic. I have completed 5500km to date but am getting only 13.2-13.3 as per the MID. The maximum I have got on the highway is 21.1 (Ahmedabad to Mumbai) and 19.5 from a couple of spins on the Mumbai Pune expressway. My vehicle is a petrol (v CVT). Anyone from Mumbai who's getting significantly higher mileage?
Dear handsofsteel,

There is a small possibility that you are not making 'optimum' use of the CVT. There is a higher possibility that you are driving correctly, but the conditions are not in favor or 'optimum'.
Just my curiosity, at what speeds did you drive when you took your long drives? I found 80~85 kmph to give best performance in the 6 months or so. After that the optimum shifted up! What fun!! Maybe, if you study my review, you might find some clue. As Nohonking has suggested, we can always meet up. Feel free to call me or PM me. Due to my hectic schedule, I might not respond immediately to your PM, but I will definitely respond.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan

Last edited by GKMahajan : 2nd September 2017 at 09:38. Reason: Had missed a reply to Handsofsteel
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 11:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Am surprised at the mileage figures being quoted here. I don't know what am I doing differently. I drive approximately 50km a day in Mumbai, reasonable mix of bumper to bumper and 'flyover' traffic. I have completed 5500km to date but am getting only 13.2-13.3 as per the MID.
I have a new Jazz (2.5k as of today) as well and the numbers here are little high for what I get too. I believe the conditions play a great factor as well.

For the first 2-3 weeks, I was consistently getting 18-19kmpl as I barely took the car above 2k rpm during the run-in.

After I started driving in 2-3.5k rpm range, the mileage as reported by MID has fallen to 14-16kmpl. I almost always drive alone and cruise at 70-80kmph to my commute and wondered if the car is underperforming in terms of mileage as it's almost like a highway drive to work for me except for the last couple of KMs.

I started observing for other factors which could influence other than the speed on the console which affects the mileage.
  • Weather conditions - A/C plays a huge role in my observation. I drive east in the morning with full brunt of the sun on the windshield which puts auto mode of the A/C on full fan always, I drive back home by 9pm after sunset and A/C fan operates at max 2 speed. MID reported mileage is always better on my return home.
  • Fuel quality - this is not a huge factor but does reasonably contribute. When I use Shell, it's almost always I get better range. If I fill up regular petrol from BP, I get lower range. Shell V-Power has not made much difference to me interestingly.
  • Driving style - try to keep the console rings in green always. It really helps based on my observation. As a new MT driver, I have my own share of issues with being on correct gears and up/down shifting on time, so I have been tuning my driving style with these colors and I see some improvements.

Hope this helps. I'm yet to pull numbers anywhere close to what is reported here. But I'm optimistic that after further services and once the engine settles in, it should improve.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 2nd September 2017 at 11:25.
Yieldway17 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 19:25   #65
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
No surprise, Hondas are very fuel efficient cars, especially the Jazz/Fit and the City/Fit Aria. Google it and you'll find global instances of people talking high of 'kmpl', 'mpg' and 'gallons per 100 miles' both MT & CVT.
Actually, I have owned only Hondas till now. The first gen jazz in 2009 (approx 11-12kmpl), Civic vmt in 2013(9-10.5kmpl) and finally the present Jazz CVT since the last 3 months.
Quote:
I am pretty much sure, there's something to do with your driving style than with your vehicle. I cannot figure it out unless I sit next to you to pin point.
my driving style is 2.5k revs and below at all times, most of the times without ac, all windows open (my kids are motion sick). Hypermiling by picking up speed and coasting downslopes (on the flyovers), shifting to neutral at signals and driving with a light foot. The one place I might be losing out on is the frequent upslopes that I encounter on the Eastern express highway.
Quote:
On the lighter side - Stop using "hands of steel" on your Jazz, she rather deserves a lighter hand!

Quote:
The last time I checked she got 10 kmpl. I sat with her and monitored 'Range'. Every time that she took the car out of parking and parked the car, it dropped by 1~2 km! Note: our parking is complex!! Anyway, we both agree that for the ease and comfort of driving, this is a small price to pay.

There is a small possibility that you are not making 'optimum' use of the CVT. There is a higher possibility that you are driving correctly, but the conditions are not in favor or 'optimum'.
Just my curiosity, at what speeds did you drive when you took your long drives? I found 80~85 kmph to give best performance in the 6 months or so. After that the optimum shifted up! What fun!! Maybe, if you study my review, you might find some clue. As Nohonking has suggested, we can always meet up. Feel free to call me or PM me. Due to my hectic schedule, I might not respond immediately to your PM, but I will definitely respond.
First of all, thank you for the kind offer. During long drives, I maintain a speed of 70-90 kmph. Anyways, I agree that CVT convenience is unmatched. Besides, 13+ is not a bad mileage.

Last edited by handsofsteel : 2nd September 2017 at 19:29.
handsofsteel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 18:24   #66
BHPian

Dear All,

I like to see my car clean and tidy all the time. Not only the exterior/interior but also below bonnet.

I always have to park my Jazz below the trees in office and the falling leaves and tiny branches always found the way inside the engine compartment through the gap located at the top corners of the bonnet. The same problem was there with my earlier Swift too. I am posting below pics to understand it well. The gap is where the front windshield ends at bottom. This peculiar problem is not a major issue but quite irritating to me. I hate the site of leaves getting in there and after few days they will start to rot because when the car is washed (alternate day) the water also seeps in.

I am thinking of cutting a piece of black sponge and stuff in the gap. I know this is kind of crude and I think it may affect the looks.

"What I ultimately want is some filler to stop any tiny leaves coming in and it should not look bad"
Let the suggestions pour in friends... fire up your neurons. There may be tons of better ideas than mine. Anyone ?
b.t.w Not to park the car below tree is not a solution
Attached Thumbnails
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-20170909_173320.jpg  

1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-20170909_172159.jpg  

Last edited by abhaybakshi : 9th September 2017 at 18:32.
abhaybakshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 21:35   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
I always have to park my Jazz below the trees in office and the falling leaves and tiny branches always found the way inside the engine compartment through the gap located at the top corners of the bonnet.
Hi abhaybakshi,

Very valid point!
Believe you and me, we both sail on the same boat. Even I have to park my Jazz under the tree and the leaves/tree sap keep finding their way in the bonnet through the spaces otherwise meant for water to seep down. Honestly, I do not have any suggestion to this.

A couple of years ago, I was reading somewhere on T-BHP recommending not to park under the tree but this isn't possible in my case either.

Quote:
I am thinking of cutting a piece of black sponge and stuff in the gap. I know this is kind of crude and I think it may affect the looks.
Sounds good! A sponge will filter leaves/sap while letting water to seep. Let us all know if and how do you go about it. Believe many of us would like to try this simple, yet very useful DIY.

Thank you abhaybakshi for this idea. I do not see any downside to it. Suggestions welcome!

Last edited by Nohonking : 10th September 2017 at 21:36. Reason: punctuation check
Nohonking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 14:57   #68
BHPian

Thanks nohonking. Let's wait for any idea's. I guess probably the best thing would be to get the "custom made" black plastic socket which will fit into the gap perfectly. But that will be too much considering the minor nature of the issue !
Let me try the black sponge thing. May probably have to use two way 3M tape to stick it securely. Will keep you posted.

It's bit surprising that Honda's and Suzuki's keep such wide panel gaps for debris to enter... isn't it ?

Last edited by abhaybakshi : 11th September 2017 at 15:06. Reason: Removed extra spaces
Old 14th September 2017, 22:49   #69
BHPian

Hi folks,

Yesterday received the top notch aftermarket DRLs for my Jazz. Yes, this is the second set of DRLs I have gone for. The one currently installed apparently got affected with water(although working, but with a sour). Will be replacing this weekend. Details about the welcomed stuff will follow soon, post installation.

Here are some teasers

The package, as delivered DHL at my doorstep
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-package.jpg

Upon opening
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-inside.jpg

The contents
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-drls.jpg

...And 'The DRLs'
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-content.jpg

Thanks!
Nohonking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 14:09   #70
BHPian

Looks great ! What is the price and from which website you ordered it ?

I will probably order one if they deliver in Pune. I guess it will hamper the warranty ?

Hi All,

The thing I hate most is around the corner. My 1 year old Jazz has started rattling ... although very weakly. I have identified 2 unique rattles.

Rattle 1: Always happens if the car is lugged (typically 2nd gear and speed below 5 KM/HR). It's obvious that any car engine will complain and there will be little vibration in this scenario. But at precisely this point I hear some rusty noise or some noise like a loose tin rattling. It's a weak rattle but I hear it always. P.S. I never lug the engine like that but sometimes the speed is enough to engage 2nd gear instead of 1st and at this point after engaging 2nd gear and depressing clutch, I hear this rattle.

Rattle 2 : Coming from unknown place. My guess is that either boot door or from inside of passenger side door.

Just an update. Rattle 1 mentioned above is resolved fully by bending the tin foil behind engine (may be heat shield) a bit. It took me less than 10 seconds to do this !!. No, I am not genius. It was already mentioned by someone on the forum. Rattle2 is still there but I will need my daughter's help to locate exact location of noise. Will do that on weekend.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th October 2017 at 15:09. Reason: back-to-back post
Old 5th October 2017, 16:13   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Just an update. Rattle 1 mentioned above is resolved fully by bending the tin foil behind engine (may be heat shield) a bit. It took me less than 10 seconds to do this !!. No, I am not genius. It was already mentioned by someone on the forum. Rattle2 is still there but I will need my daughter's help to locate exact location of noise. Will do that on weekend.
For rattle 2 please check the warning triangle in the boot. It is held tight using wire ties and can become loose. I had the same issue on my Jazz which was later identified by me and corrected.
tazmaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 10:52   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Looks great ! What is the price and from which website you ordered it ?

I will probably order one if they deliver in Pune. I guess it will hamper the warranty ?
Hi abhaybakshi,

Apologies for the delay in my response, past weeks had been too occupied and could barely post anything. My following posts today will reveal all the devils in the detail.

Quote:
I am glad your rattle 1 got resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
For rattle 2 please check the warning triangle in the boot. It is held tight using wire ties and can become loose. I had the same issue on my Jazz which was later identified by me and corrected.
Thanks Tazmaan for sharing this. Seems a valid reason. In my car, the warning triangle is sitting loose beside the 14 incher, but luckily no issue due to this.

Cheers!

Last edited by Nohonking : 7th October 2017 at 10:53.
Old 7th October 2017, 13:24   #73
BHPian

Hi folks,

Was looking for another set of day time running lights for my Jazz as the one running were apparently affected by water, although working very well.

Managed the source these directly from a retailer based out in Bangkok, Thailand via eBay UK. Details below:

Brand: FITT

Brand profile, check their URL: https://www.fittauto.com/.

Part number: AE35-034

Country of manufacture: Thailand

Listed price: £114

Shipping: Free(economy)

Payment method: PayPal

Price paid: INR 9,951.02

Features: DRLs turn on when ignition is on, go dim when parking lights are turned on. Stay dim when headlights are turned on.

The payment method was hassle-free and the very next day this fantastic retailer communicated to me that he'll be complementing me with free DHL express delivery. Now this is called customer focus. I thanked him for his kind gesture.

Later, I was obliged to provide my PAN, an id & an address proof to meet the regulatory IMPEX guidelines. So I emailed him the scanned documents to be supplied along to DHL for shipping. Due to these requirements, had to change my delivery address from that of my office(I prefer) to residence. All these things let past more than a week but the retailer maintained an excellent communication even via Whatsapp and kept me informed of the proceedings. I really appreciate him for all the botherations he took in getting it through. Finally, DHL accepted the shipment on Sept 9th & it was here in New Delhi on 10th for custom clearance which took a good 3 days until delivery done on Sept 13th.

It attracted a custom duty of INR 1400 which I paid to DHL.

Upon receiving, unboxed it immediately. Superior quality DRLs were nicely packed. All looked good.

Here are the package contents.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-1-package.jpg

Notice the protecting film I did peel off.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-3-quality-drls-scratchproof-packing.jpg

The DRL. Notice the wrapping on the side.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-4-drl.jpg

A comparison with OEM lamp cover.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-4a-comparison-oem.jpg

...and I couldn't make out any.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-4b-comparison-oem.jpg

A closer look. Notice this is LED COB(Chip on Board) cluster, not LED bulbs.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-5-closer-look.jpg

Supplied along installation instructions.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-6-installation-intructions.jpg

...and the recommended wire connections.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-7-recommended-wiring.jpg

The connector behind.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-8-connector-behind.jpg

...to be connected to the wire already laid down.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-8a-connect-laid-down-wiring.jpg

Supplied cable ties & wire couplers. Cable ties weren't used though for there wasn't any need.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-8b-supplied-cable-ties-cupplers.jpg

Notice the sealant behind. These are waterproof.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-9-they-waterproof.jpg

Another view to this detail.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-10-waterproof.jpg

Fuse has been provided in the middle of the running wire.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-11-wiring-includes-fuse.jpg

Well, with clear wiring diagram & instructions supplied, I indeed wanted to do a DIY installation, but didn't have any tools except a Phillip's screwdriver. No other way, I took my 'Jazzy' to the same dealer who had done the earlier installation of automatic DRLs. I showed him the wiring diagram and told him to follow it strictly.

The supplied length of the wire was in line with fitment for Jazz. Installation was simple as everything was clearly mentioned until we realized and couldn't find 'that wire'.

Checked all the wires but non found for ignition. Believe, there's some difference done by Honda in India. As a result, coupled it with 12V power outlet.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-12-installation.jpg

And its done.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-12a-done.jpg

Notice the color tone and the brightness. It is 6000K.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-16-super-bright.jpg

View from the side.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-17-another-view.jpg

Sweet looking DRLs with wrapping.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-18-sweet-looking.jpg

Upon turning on the parking lights notice that the intensity gets significantly reduced.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-19-dims-out.jpg

My Jazzy gets her new eyes.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-13-car.jpg

Some may call her looking cute.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-14-car.jpg

But I think, she rather looks bold.
1.5 years with my Honda Jazz V MT-15-car.jpg

The previous installation of DRLs was carefully removed with all the attachments and I have preserved it, just in case I ever need to reinstall it.

Last but not the least, such examples clearly show something vital that Honda India did miss in Jazz. Had they offered OEM DRLs even in the accessories line, our lives would have been much easier. Thanks.

Cheers,
Simmi

Last edited by aah78 : 12th October 2017 at 21:41. Reason: URL corrected on request.
Nohonking is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 19:28   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ArchieS for making it easier to understand. Please have this fixed under warranty. Having read your post, I did go back in my Jazz to check this, there's absolutely no horizontal movement.
I too Have purchase this alloy Hub . Was extremely happy with the fit,finish and style but this was short lived .Out of four three lossed the red colour and now looks ugly . Really sad after paying so much: Frustrati

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2017 at 09:18. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
ToothyPetrohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 19:30   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothyPetrohead View Post
I too Have purchase this alloy Hub . Was extremely happy with the fit,finish and style but this was short lived .Out of four three lossed the red colour and now looks ugly . Really sad after paying so much: Frustrati
Agree mate, this wasn't good for Indian weather conditions I suppose. 2 of these hub caps in my car too have had similar destiny. After the awesome red JDM color was lost to nature, the blackish tinge with sparkling 'H' looks okay in contrast with Silver OEM alloys, although this isn't awesome, especially when you had shelled out that much!

Honestly, I expected them to last a lifetime since they are JDM Honda OEM, but they simply refused to befriend with Honda India.

Anyway, this had its own lessons to be learnt. Thanks.

Cheers,
Simmi

Most Viewed