Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2017, 12:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi

Have you got yourself a cuppa tea and biscuits? You'll sure need 'em with this one. Enjoy!

Excuse the quality of pictures; they were shot with an Xperia Z3. Not a phone camera I'd recommend.

They say, 'what goes around comes around.' I never dreamt I'll ever buy a hatchback again and here I am, having come a full circle. This is a brief ownership review of my Hyundai i20 Asta(O) diesel hatchback. To top it off, I never in my wildest dreams dreamt I'd buy a Hyundai. And here I am, with a hatchback that is a Hyundai.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0067.jpg

Have you seen Will Smith's crime drama, Focus?
Name:  2015_Focus_film_poster.png
Views: 12133
Size:  206.9 KB

If you haven't, I'd recommend you did because what I'm about to say next blew my mind away when I realised it.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-screen-shot-20170520-12.49.31-am.png

You see this screenshot? This was a post I made in August 2014. At that time, I was overseas and never had any plans of buying a car, leave alone a hatchback in India. This is the bit that blew me away: I completely forgot that I ever made this post! It was by sheer coincidence that I was looking through that particular thread just 2 days back (a week after I got the i20) that I stumbled upon my own post. When I read what I had written almost 3 years back, it blew my mind. I mentioned that I'd buy the i20 in a flash just for the way it looks. It was a rhetoric statement at that time just to prove how good the i20 looked!

The movie is all about that. Will Smith, a con artist, will use casual imagery to subconsciously record something in the mind. In the movie, he'd use the number 5 in very casual instances like 5 dollars, or the bus number 5 or the lane 5 to record that number subconsciously. He'll use that later to con people.

Without my knowledge, in my sub conscious mind, i20 had already taken root. In 2017, without consciously ever remembering making that post, I gravitated to the i20 and also bought one. I don't wanna sound like a psychic now but hope you get the point.

Anyway, I gave up on hatchbacks after my days with the Swift and moved to MPVs with the Ertiga and then the Lodgy. They were great MPVs and my reason for buying one was to enjoy long vacations which I was doing quite often with my Ertiga. Ironically, with the Lodgy, my motorway driving came down to almost 2 or 3 trips in a year. That was a dismal number and to haul this Lodgy around town, where I was 90% of the time, took its toll.

Prologue:
There were couple more reasons why I had to move away from the Renault. Lodgy's appalling resale value was one. Minor niggles at 30k kms wasn't acceptable having been used to trouble free ownership with my previous cars. Moreover, it was too cumbersome to drive around in chaotic traffic and tight parking spaces which is kind of the scenario that's I'm presented with, everyday. Add on the hard clutch, weak 2nd gear and tight hydraulic steering - it was a recipe for tiresome driving. The idea for a smaller footprint car (read hatchback) was set in motion. As if on cue, just two weeks back, while reversing my Lodgy in a narrow lane in the dark, I accidentally bumped into a low hanging branch clipping the rear end of the roof. I was left with a huge dent and by now I've had enough of this car. It wasn't making sense anymore to drive this around. Personally, it wasn't a 'Lodgycal' solution anymore.

Here's where I was in for another shocker: the resale value on this 8 seater is a joke, really. This is the moment I regretted buying the Renault. Simply put, no one wants one. As I pen this down, it's sold and I've never heaved a sigh of relief as this, ever! It's an absolute miracle this and I thank God for it. Well, as for the niggles, there was one which Renault advisors themselves weren't able to identify. In 3rd gear, at about 1800 RPM, the engine stutters, loses its breath as it's gonna shut down and then springs back to normal as if nothing happened. The weird thing about it is that it happened at random and you'll never know when this problem will catch you out. I learnt to work around it by stomping on the accelerator in 3rd gear alone to get past that RPM. When I did that, this stutter never happened. It's a bit weird coming to think about it as in every other gear barring 3rd, this never happened. The engine worked flawlessly. The presence of this glitch ruined my ownership experience albeit being a very minor one. There's also this early morning hesitant stutter until the engine warms up and then everything is fine. Well, frankly I lost that connection with the Lodgy and I was waiting to get rid of it and eventually I did. Will I buy a Renault again? Definitely not in India but I might consider this brand in Europe.

That's enough for a prologue. This thread is about the new car anyway and this also happens to be my first ownership review. I realised that a hatchback makes perfect sense for both the city and for those rare trips out of town. After all the ratio has completely changed: it's 90:10 city/motorway driving. Also, personally I've lost interest doing long road trips in India after some months of stress-free drives in Europe. Highway driving here is more like playing a defensive racing game than anything.

Which one?
Those who've followed my earlier posts would've sussed by now my love for diesel engines. I just love diesels. Well, having set my mind on hatchbacks again, I started looking up the best ones out there and honestly, I didn't find many of them. In a hatchback loving country like this, there's a dearth of decent hatchbacks in the 10 lac segment. I didn't want entry level hatchbacks and that made my options even harder. Went through a couple of reviews here and then decided to do a test drive.

I was surprised to find there were no decent hatchbacks that I wanted to buy. I have to explain myself before someone wonders what I'm on about. When I'm looking to buy a car, I never consider Indian brands. The only brand I've considered is Maruti Suzuki and that's because of Japanese quality and reliability. But with the Ertiga, I've bid adieu to Maruti Suzuki until the time they give us an alternative to the tested and tired 1.3 DDiS. No more Marutis for me, however desirable they appear to be, with all the bells and whistles. Their 'own trick pony' diesel strategy has made me desert the brand despite their impeccable reliability and service standards. Should give it to Maruti, the only manufacturer that can supply the 1.3 DDiS from the smallest hatchback (justified) to the 12 lac segment crossover (really?) and did I also mention an MPV? Well, briefly I had my eyes on the 1.6 S-Cross but it was out of budget and I wasn't sure about its availability. For the above mentioned reasons, Baleno, Swift, S-Cross 1.3 and Brezza were out of contention. I'd have bought a Toyota if not for the Liva; no offence, but the Liva is a joke for the asking price. Fiat was never considered for their poor presence here.

This is what I was left with:
Ford Figo
VW Polo
Honda Jazz

Interestingly, I've never considered Hyundai as an aspirational brand. In Europe I love the brand recall of Kia over Hyundai. Is it the name or the slanted H logo, I'm not sure. Being a brand snob, I've never liked the name or the logo. Kia sounds so cool and if it was a Kia i20 I would've bought one in a flash. Anyway, this time the i20 never crossed my memory. I was sold on the Figo and the Polo for their excellent engines and I should admit I was slightly tempted by the GT TDI too; but it was hovering close to 11 lacs and I didn't see much value in it. After all, we aren't talking about a 1.6 but a 1.5 TDI.

Here's my take on test driving the Figo, Polo and Jazz.

Ford Figo
I should add a disclaimer: I've never liked Ford and I've never aspired to buy one, ever. But with the new Figo I made an exception. I fell for its cute Aston looks and the torquey TDCi engine (at least in theory). This was my first time driving the new Figo. Loved the looks and realised that the headlamps don't have DRL. Daylight Running Lamps are very important to me. I had one fixed on my Swift, had them as OEM on the Lodgy and I'm a big fan of DRLs. It's not about the cool factor alone but also staying visible to other drivers. I was happy to find out that Ford offered DRLs as an official accessory for the Figo.

The moment I sat inside, I was instantly disappointed by the dull looking dashboard. The instrument panel was plain jane dull with meters that looked like they were out of a bike. I really didn't understand what Ford found interesting in that design. Next was the centre console with its mobile phone keypad that looked very busy and cluttered but offered very little in terms of functionality. I wish Ford got rid of that archaic button clutter and give something with real functionality. The 'Casio font' screen at the top didn't help either and this wasn't a colour touchscreen. It didn't have features that are standard in other hatchbacks like a Sat Nav. Instead, Ford has provided a slot to tuck in your smartphone to use it as a Sat Nav. Really, Ford? This was further disappointment even before I started the engine.

That said, I loved the feeling of space and my family gave the thumbs up for rear seat comfort. It was spacious and relaxing. Very comfy rear seats and well bolstered front seats too. I didn't like the single cabin lamp; it was useless, really. The interiors were very much like my Lodgy: utilitarian and functional but lacked the 'wow' factor. The older Fiesta's interiors were much better. I couldn't see myself living with that dashboard. I thought Lodgy's was terrible but Figo takes it to a different level.

The test drive was a mix of stop-go traffic and sparingly free B roads. The 1.5 TDCi didn't really blow me away to be honest. Perhaps, I held my expectation too high from all the rave reviews on the internet. The engine is torquey and drove well. But it quite didn't have the spark I was looking for. It was a bit mundane and just went about doing its job. Yes, the 2nd gear is very good and the engine picks up stutter free even from a standstill; almost. The engine never displayed any lack of power but somehow I was left wanting. The sound insulation wasn't great and I could hear the roar of the engine inside. NVH was just mediocre and I could see the areas Ford had cut corners. Again, my benchmark is the previous Fiesta (with the Aston nose) and the new Figo ranks below that.

My biggest gripe was the clutch vibration that kept reverberating through my foot while changing gears. The gearshift itself was very smooth, in fact butter smooth and seamless. I'm not an expert at steering feel or handling or suspension and so I had no clue about Figo's handling characteristics. Simply put, I was satisfied on all those parameters. Did I mention the stonker of an AC? It left us chilled to the bone in minutes. Apparently, Ford uses a bigger compressor than its earlier models and it shows. The best bit was the on road price that was almost 2 lacs lesser than the Polo. I left the showroom thinking this could be the 'back up last resort' car if nothing else worked out.

The service advisor tried to up sell the Ecosport sensing that I wasn't impressed. I've never liked the Ecosport and after the service advisor insisted, I took a mini test drive. Again, I wasn't impressed and this has nothing to do with the car itself. It's a great car to drive but I never really connected with an Ecosport and so that was it.

VW Polo
Mightly impressed by the Polo's looks and quality. I still love its timeless design. Shame really that the headlamps don't sport DRLs, a feature that I look out for. The moment I sat in the car, I was sold! VW had me with the interior. The feeling of sophistication was everywhere until my family go in the rear seat. They weren't impressed and neither was I, seeing them struggle in the cramped back seat.

Having been used to the space in the Lodgy, I could hear their whinging. Well, the test drive began. Loved the NVH inside the car and that's when I dropped Figo off my list. This was the standard 90PS diesel and I wasn't expecting much. Started off without drama but I felt the car lacking power. I knew there were 90 horses in there some where but it felt like a bunch of them had gone to bed. The clutch was another gripe: every time I released it, there was a jolt felt by myself and all the passengers and until the 4th gear, every shift was disconcerting.

It was later that I found out here that VW diesels have to be driven a certain way to get around this. I don't see sense in adapting to a car. The car is built for me and not me for the car if you get what I mean. But I have to say this in VW's favour: the pickup from standstill in 2nd gear is mind blowing; miles better than the Figo, even the i20 and any hatchback I've ever driven. It was butter smooth like I was rolling off in 1st gear. But the 2nd gear has a terrible negative to it: it doesn't rev beyond 2k RPM. I was thoroughly disappointed.

Again, I later found in the forum that this was VW's way of preserving the transmission. Some of VW's engineering limitations don't make any sense to me and I'll leave it at that. Beyond 3rd gear, the engine opens up and the performance is rewarding. All through the test drive, I could never find a comfortable driving position and later that night I had a sore back. The AC was another bummer. Even with rear vents, it never cooled the cabin well enough. Very disappointed.

The cornering lamps are a joke on the VW. It's just the fog lamp lighting up according to the direction of the turn. But what's the point really? The fog lamp still casts a straight beam! Who are you kidding VW? They've rendered this useful feature useless on the Polo. Anyway, I still loved the VW for its looks, NVH, build quality and prepared myself to look past its shortcomings.

Also had a brief look at the Ameo as well. Loved the engine specs but noticed something strange. In the Polo, the dash is at a perfect distance from your eye level but in the Ameo, the dash is bang on your face. I may sound like I'm exaggerating but I'd request punters to go have a look for themselves. VW, in their quest to dole out space from an already cramped cabin have brought the dash forward. The service advisor denied it but I'm pretty sure my guess is right.

This design decision made the Ameo feel claustrophobic. Your almost at the windscreen with nothing much left in between. I didn't even test drive it albeit the fact that it got the GT TDI spec on it. I reckon the 4 metre Compact Sedan idea is flawed and I don't blame the manufacturers for trying.

Honda Jazz
If you checked the Team-BHP poll on 'i20 vs Jazz', my vote went for the Jazz! I love the Jazz for its practicality and look. But strangely, it never tugged my heart strings. I was never moved to even test drive one. The price being on the expensive side is one reason but I get this sinking feeling that Honda is adopting the same 'one trick pony' strategy like Maruti. In fact they've gone even further by using the same engine with the same specs on all their cars! Such a lackadaisical approach doesn't bode well with the image Honda has painted over the years. I for one, only go for the top trim and in the Jazz it was 11 lac + and for that asking price the offering wasn't justified. The diesel engine reviews didn't sound exciting to me and the lack of DRLs on the headlamp further drove me away from it. So that was it with Jazz, unfortunately.

Hyundai i20
Then, like a brainwave it hit me. Why not the i20? Well, that brainwave was my dear wife. Up until that moment, I've never considered i20 as a hatchback I'd want to own leave alone seen driving one. Don't quote me on this but you may find 'not so good' posts of mine, in this very forum about the i20. But after driving the other two, the sales number of the i20 started making sense. The next day I arranged for a test drive. Looked at the specs and wasn't impressed with the 1.4 CRDI. The output was at par with the 90PS 1.3 and the torque was just above average. Well, this is when I realised the disparity between specs on paper and real life. I sat in the i20 and the entire family agreed this was the interior to choose: spacious, comfy back seat with a relaxing recline angle and a beautiful dashboard like the Polo. May I dare say, even better? I started looking at the Hyundai in new light. Finally, those 12000 odd i20s sold every month made sense while the Figos and Polos were making 4 digit sales numbers.

The drivability in the 1st and 2nd gear blew me away. I finally found what I was looking for. It's not the turbo shove I was looking for; I'm used to that in the Lodgy. It was the eagerness of the engine in every gear. And I can make an entire post on engine refinement. I'm sure many agree on that aspect. I have never experienced such a silent free-revving diesel. I threw my apprehensions about Hyundai outta the i20's window. But Hyundai has become very frugal in its offering by removing many features from the top trim. That's a real shame from a brand that made its name for value for money products. Sadly, that's no more the case. For instance, the DRLs that come with the projector headlamps is only available in the Asta (O) trim. It's not found on the Asta or the Dual Tone. There are other shocking omissions from other trims. Hyundai has picked the wrong traits from other manufacturers. Anyway, I went all the way upto 6th gear and was thoroughly impressed by its drivability. If I had to nitpick, the 6th gear was too short to my liking as I'm used to the taller 6th gear in my Lodgy. But that's compensated by the free revving nature of the diesel. The TDI or the TDCi don't come close to this engine's refinement. That explains the number of Cretas and i20s I see everyday. By the way, I don't like the 'Elite' tag.

Booking and Delivery:
As expected, none of the dealers gave me a good valuation for the Lodgy its poor resale value notwithstanding. Got it sold privately. Then I called all the Hyundai dealers in Chennai, one by one, and just said that I have a better deal elsewhere and asked them to match it. Now, they got competitive and tried to entice me with the best deals possible. Eventually, I settled for KUN Hyundai who gave me the best offer. I won't be able to discuss the details of the offer, I'm afraid, but it was pretty good considering the i20 is a hot selling car. The best dealership experience I should admit by a mile compared to my previous instances. Never had to go to the dealer; he came home, sometimes twice or thrice a day to collect documents and process finances. Really impressed. The other good news was the ready availability of stock which is unheard of at MSIL.

Initially, booked the Marina Blue shade which was launched just a couple of weeks back. This is the colour you find on the Elantra as well. Loved the shade until the wife threw a wedge in the works. She felt the Blue was too 'bling bling' and wanted something more subtle. It's a shame really that i20 doesn't have a gamut of colours. Just a couple of shades to pick from. Settled for Stardust, which is a Grey with a Purple tint. I wouldn't buy Black coloured cars in India for their inherent characteristic to retain heat. So dual shades were out of the equation too. Booked on the 6th of May and car was ready for delivery on the 10th of May and I reckon that was quick! I don't recommend this but I've taken a blind gamble by taking delivery without PDI. Reason: the yard was too far from my place and I was running short of time.

An interesting observation: I've bought all my cars in the month of May. Never planned it that way, but an interesting coincidence nevertheless.

Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0043.jpg

First Experience:
The formalities were over in 20 minutes and I don't like much fanfare during delivery. I usually ask the dealers not to tie ribbons or garland the car. I'd like to be as inconspicuous as possible on the road. They complied and the service advisor explained everything in detail. I usually don't bother much about the technicalities but with this car, I was all ears! After a mini orientation, it was time to drive off. The odo read 63 kms at the time of delivery. Fair enough mileage given the distance to the RTO and yard.

Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0041.jpg

The engine being new, I realised it needs more kms on the odo to ease out. Coming from the Lodgy, this car's an absolute pleasure to drive. Even with high revs, the engine note is still sweet. Did I mention that I love the DRLs? Well, I do. Drove off to the tyre shop to fill my tyres with Nitrogen. I was hoping for Bridgestone as OEM tyres but ended up getting Good Year. Reckon it's better than the MRFs and Apollos. Gonna stick with them for now. I'm not a great expert at identifying ride quality but it's absolutely flat and no bobbing around like I'd feel in my Lodgy. It's such a breath of fresh air to manoeuvre this car in traffic and where I'd struggle with the Lodgy, I'm breezing through with the i20.

Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0039.jpg

Love these on the i20

* Super refined diesel. NVH is in a different league. The most refined of the cars I've owned.

* Excellent drivability at low RPMs. I need to talk a lot more about that flat torque curve. I reckon this is the only hatchback that has its torque starting off at 1500 RPM and also with the longest range - that's peak torque for almost 2200 RPM. The flat torque of the engine really shows in its effortlessness. Where the Ertiga and Lodgy will be contemplating whether to move, the i20 flies. The 2nd gear on the Lodgy is pretty weak while on the i20, it's very torquey. Love it. Also, the flat torque translates into better mid range on the highway. At about 2000 RPM, the engine is eager to rev further or settle into a comfy cruise.

Flat torque curve pic for reference:
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-hw0379911.jpg

* 6th gear is good as it helps space the ratios better. Brings out the best in this engine albeit wishing it was a bit taller. The Lodgy's 6th in comparison is pretty tall. The i20 does:
100 kmph @ 2100 RPM
110 kmph @ 2250 RPM
120 kmph @ 2500 RPM
Although the engine is in the turbo zone, I find them a bit on the higher side. I ideally like to keep the revs low on long drives, preferably a shade below 2000 RPM for 100 kmph. Lodgy 110PS shines here at keeping RPMs low.

* First time using cornering lamps and I'm wondering how I lived without it. It's very very useful, especially when turning into unlit lanes.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0075.jpg

* Very smooth clutch and gearshift. As of now, the reverse gear is a bit clunky and I hope it should resolve with the transmission bedding in.

* Brakes are great and very predictive. In the Lodgy, the brakes had a mind of their own during early days; not so with the i20.

* Super vision instrument cluster. Basically, the instrument cluster stays lit all day. Wondered why all the cars don't have it. Really useful to see info at a glance.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0046.jpg

* Fully functional AVN. Android Auto, BT pairing work like a charm and so does the SatNav. I'm yet to fully explore the functionalities of this system but its been good so far. Also, on the SatNav, you don't have press 'AGREE' anymore. The warning disappears after a few seconds. Adaptive lines for reverse camera is very useful.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0045.jpg

* Projector headlamps are just perfect. In all my previous cars, I've felt the need to upgrade. In the i20, the lighting is perfect. Recently put it to the test on a long 500 kms night drive and the lights didn't disappoint. In fact, I didn't even see the need to use fog lamps for additional illumination. Of course, I love the DRLs during the day. The DRLs also function as park lamp during night.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0048.jpg
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0053.jpg

* Love the 3 pod setup of the tail lamps. Serves no real purpose but aesthetically very pleasing.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0054.jpg

* 16 inch 195 profile tyres provide good stability around corners. That said, I'm a sedate driver.

* Boot space is pretty good and I'm happy with it. Don't have a comparison to fall back on but good enough for me. 60:40 split seats are an added bonus.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0070.jpg

* Completed my first service. Extremely pleased with the service quality (worth the hype) and I loved the transparency at the centre. The service advisor invited me to the service bay and asked me to view the car while it was serviced. Now, that's a first. Haven't had this opportunity even at my previous best, Maruti. The car was serviced at KUN Hyundai, Mount Road in case anyone's interested. Highly recommended.

* Very effective aircon. Cools the cabin in minutes even in 40 deg heat. Put it to the test on my recent trip and pretty impressed. Rear vents are a huge plus.

* As mentioned in the review, sound insulation is very good. Outside noise is very muted inside.

* I'm not an expert at steering feel but find the i20's very intuitive to use. Easy to use in the city and weighs up nicely on the highway. For a novice like me, it's perfect. The Lodgy's in comparison is pretty hard and cumbersome.

* Tilt and telescopic adjust at this price range is a huge plus.

* Two map lights in the front and a centre cabin lamp. Just perfect.

* The armrest is perfect and very usable even when driving. Nowadays, my elbow instinctively rests on it and so does my spouse's! The nifty storage inside is a big plus.

* The driver's seat has good adjustment range and I was comfy within minutes. It took me a long time to get comfy in the Lodgy. The i20's seat bolsters me well and I feel no aches on a long drive.

Stuff I Wish Were Part of the Package

* Wish the horn didn't beep when using fob to lock/unlock. EDIT: Thanks to drpudhi, pressing the request sensor takes care of that.

* As I mentioned earlier, not a huge fan of keyless start. Don't see the point really. EDIT: After a long trip and 10 days using it, warming up to the new tech now.

* For a feature loaded car as this, cruise control is a glaring omission. EDIT: Miss cruise control on the highway. Such a shame really as the European i20 has it.

* I wish the steering wheel was a touch wider than it is right now. I get the feeling of holding a tiny Playstation steering wheel, especially on long drives.

* Shocking omissions like real time fuel consumption, Distance to Empty and mileage. Personally, I'm not bothered about mileage and never calculate it. Yet, a shocking omission, nevertheless.

* No electro chromatic mirror for a hatchback at this price point. Hyundai picking up bad traits from other manufacturers.

* No light for the vanity mirror.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0047.jpg

* Love the black interior on the Dual Tone model; wish the standard variant had that too. I don't like beige interiors and I'm tired of them having used 3 cars in a row with beige.

* Single reverse lamp! Real pain to reverse in dark streets. 0 points for Hyundai on that front.

* The bonnet is very heavy which is good. But lifting it is a chore. Wish it had gas struts like the Renault. The first time I opened it, I almost let go (thank you Renault) and risked getting my hand squished. Ouch!

* No rear fog lamp; just reflectors. Not a big deal as the tail lamps consist of 6 lights!

* 16 inchers look great and provide stability. The downside is the ride being hard, especially for rear seat passengers. My mum vouches for Lodgy's suspension after a 1000 kms trip on the i20.

Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0042.jpg

The Hyundai Nanny

I wanted to make a separate post on the rather patronising 'nanny style management' of Hyundai. Read on and you'll know what I mean. For some reason, Hyundai reckon their drivers are kids or that's the feeling I get everyday I use the i20. Look at these instances and decide for yourself if Hyundai is being that 'nanny' we loathed as kids.

* When you switch off the car, everything switches off and that includes the AVN. If you were playing music, it's abruptly stopped. In other cars, the music still goes on until the keys are off; not in the i20. Hyundai reckon their drivers are irresponsible kids and decide for you! There's more: you can turn on the AVN again (after switching off engine) but you'll instantly be greeted with a warning message: Battery draining. Switch on the car to use AVN. Then the music starts where you left off. Yeah right! Thank you nan but could you leave me alone?

* You cannot leave the park lights on and switch off the car. They turn off too! Many call it a safety feature but I find it a bit intrusive into my way of doing things. I can still switch it on with the engine off but I'd rather Hyundai stopped playing nanny right there.

* There's a feature that tells me if my front wheels are turned right or left. Please Hyundai, I can tell that by looking at the steering wheel!

* Everytime I start the car, there's a 5 second warning chime to let me know the car has started. Oh please!

* If I wanted to use the AVN without starting the car, it lets me do it but sends you on a guilt trip for doing it. Many warning lights turn on and the nanny speaks again: battery draining. Please turn on ignition and use.

* The nanny speaks if there are curves on the road. Thanks nan but I can see. Thankfully, I can turn this off.

* If I lock or unlock with the key fob, the horn beeps. What's this Hyundai? The late '90s?

* Don't ever start the car with the driver's door open. The warning chime is so loud you'll wake up your neighbours. Don't let the nan get cross with you; close the door please!

* Hyundai has stuck breakdown numbers, toll free numbers on every window possible. Again, nanny ensuring her kids don't get lost.

Rant over!

Other Observations

* Most of the parts are still sourced from Korea which is good.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0052.jpg

* The timing belt is from Romania. Not very clear in the pic.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0051.jpg

* The underbody seems tidy. No aero strips or flaps on the front bumper. Aerodynamic without it? Not sure.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0050.jpg

* I can see the floor. No underbody or partial underbody cladding.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0049.jpg

* The near side wiper has to be lifted first and also let down first before accessing the far side wiper. They collide if not done in this exact sequence. A design issue I'm afraid.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0072.jpg

* The rear hatch gas struts are imported from Korea.

* The badge on the rear just reads 'i20'; no 'elite' tag anywhere. Thank you Hyundai.

The windshield washers are neatly tucked under bonnet on the plastic gutter giving the bonnet a clean look. Also, the gutter is neatly banked with the rear end of the bonnet preventing dry leaves and other particles from getting in.

* The bonnet lip has a nice rubber beading that covers the panel gap with the body. Nice touch and attention to detail.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0071.jpg

* The XL sized fog lamp is almost the size of the headlamp. It's not just mere form though, it's functional with its multiple reflectors. For the first time a fog lamp that's actually useful in the night and not a mere cosmetic accessory. That said, the Lodgy's fogs were pretty bright too, at night.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0078.jpg

* The 'eyebrow' on the headlamp is purely for aesthetics in India. In the European version its got a faint glow that looks cracking at night. Wish Hyundai gave that feature here. The after market lamps for the i20 have 'eyebrows' that light up but they're too bright and garish for my liking; not as subtle as the OEM in the European i20.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0073.jpg

Check out this video to see what I mean:

* The rear washer is flush mounted on the stop lamp. It's so well concealed you can hardly notice it. A thumbs up from me.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0074.jpg

* The DRLs are progressively arranged when viewed from the front:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0075.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1640762

and if you view it from the side, there's one LED lamp that's side mounted. Interesting attention to detail. So, if you're viewing from the side, there's a DRL visible from the side, like a marker lamp on coaches and trucks.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0076.jpg

* Android Play works like a charm. Tried using Google Assistant and it found me a restaurant I was looking for, last night. So convenient to just speak to the system and get it to do stuff. Calls, notifications end up on the home screen. I don't even have to look at the system. The system is so sensitive that anytime the car microphone picks up the phrase OK GOOGLE, the assistant is ready to take my command. Very impressive.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0069.jpg

* Many complained that Hyundai has removed 1 charger from its dual charger set up. Actually, I see their point. When I connect my phone on Android Auto onto their USB port, my phone charges. I still have the actual phone charger port vacant that someone else in the car can use. So technically, yeah, there are 2 charger points now. Also, appreciate the fact that the ports are backlit.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0068.jpg

* Only the co-passenger's back side has a seat pocket. The driver's side has none!

* The DRLs are extremely bright and a treat to look at. Much brighter than the more expensive Creta!
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0044.jpg

* The highbeam doesn't have a separate filament. The cut-off shield on the low beam is removed for high beam.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-howprojectorheadlightswork1024x844.png
Source: bestheadlightbulbs.com

THE PERFORMANCE SO FAR
The car, as I type stands close to ~1500 kms. I've finished the 1st free service at KUN. Very pleased with the quality of service. The car was handed back in an hour. Been on a 1200 kms trip to Yercaud and Coimbatore. The performance didn't disappoint. The flat torque was apparent while negotiating gradients. I could go all the way to the top with the aircon turned on. I usually turn it off in my other cars sensing some engine struggle. The i20 was pretty smooth and didn't stutter. The highway performance was good but not extraordinary. I'd mark it down to a new engine and hope it opens up as the miles pile on. In-city drivability is excellent and that's where this car's gonna spend most of its time. The Lodgy literally flies at 3 digit speeds but the i20 does it without much drama. That's why I call it good but not extraordinary. Again, need at least 10k on the odo to really assess its performance.

I'll keep updating this bit of the post as and when something interesting comes up.

I've taken a lot from this community and it's time I gave back. Thank you mods at Team-BHP for the opportunity. And readers, if you've gotten this far, thanks very much for your time!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 21st May 2017 at 09:15.
swiftdiesel is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 12:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi

Here's a summary of my i20 so far:

Good:

+ Powerful diesel: both city and highway (for my driving style)

+ Great refinement for a diesel.

+ Almost nil turbo lag.

+ 6th gear great for cruising. Well spaced ratios.

+ Best looking hatchback in my opinion. Lovely European lines that wouldn't look out of place in the motorway or Autobahn. So do the diamond cut alloys - stunning.

+ Nimble to drive (relative to Lodgy)

+ Powerful AC (front & rear)

+ SatNav, Bluetooth, Android Auto, MirrorLink - works like a charm

+ Bluetooth connects even before you enter the car! I can get the 'connected' notification when I'm close to the door.

+ Adaptive reverse guidance lines with audible sensors - very useful.

+ 16 inchers not only look great, but great stability too with 195 section rubber.

+ Powerful projectors with DRL (didn't see need for an upgrade)

+ Top notch fit and finish. Build quality better than what's expected of them.

+ Driver's seat has healthy adjustment range. Felt at home in a few minutes.

+ Keyless entry and button start

+ Spare key also a fob

+ Cabin and boot lamps don't work after ~5 minutes of car remaining unlocked and key fob is out of range. Thoughtful battery saving measure from Hyundai; especially useful when washing and cleaning.

+ Interiors look and feel a grade higher

+ Supervision instrument cluster stays lit up all day

+ Some feel the rear is claustrophobic but my family love it for the privacy - important in days of no dark glasses.

+ Powerful and useful fog lamps and cool tail lamps.

+ 10k service interval unlike some rivals that need a 5k service

+ Well bolstered seats with armrest; rear seat with good legroom and recline angle.

+ 3 cabin lights

+ Spacious boot with light

+ Comfortable loading lip due to split tail lights

+ 6 airbags

+ Transparent and courteous service experience. First service was free.

Not So Good

- No fuel average, DTE or real time fuel efficiency

- Slightly hard reverse gear; hoping it gets better with usage.

- Slightly long clutch travel than I'd have liked.

- No dual reverse light or rear fog lamp.

- No auto-dimming IRVM

- Engine revs higher than I'd have liked at speeds: 120 @ 2500 RPM is a bit high albeit being a free revving diesel. Wish the 6th gear was a bit taller like the Lodgy.

- Hard ride thanks in no small part to 16 inchers.

- Hyundai's nanny like treatment: too many warning chimes and messages.

- Hate that beige interior; casts unwanted reflection on a sunny day. Loved the all black set up of dual tone model.

- Wish the steering wheel was a touch wider.

- Spare wheel is steel

- Even basic features like DRL, rear wash wiper only available on Asta (O) variant. Hyundai's recent frugal philosophy not so good.

- Using the keyfob to lock/unlock beeps the horn too. Not cool in 2017!

- Switching off the car shuts off the AVN too. Your favourite music stops abruptly.

- Hyundai seriously needs a logo rebranding. The slanted H is neither contemporary as say a Peugeot's lion or timeless as Toyota's 'T' or VW's 'VW'.

Update: ~2000 kms

Recently finished a drive down to Pondicherry. The engine has opened up in comparison to my previous trip. As always, no way to tell fuel efficiency and I'm not bothered too. The car stands with 1800+ kms on the odo and no trouble so far apart from my first puncture. A nail on the rear right tyre; got it sorted in 10 minutes as I was close to my tyre shop. Maintain 32 psi of Nitrogen all around. Using a cover (Hyundai accessory) to keep bird droppings and 2 legged creatures from getting close. The cover is snug fit and it's great but it leaves micro-scratches on the car every time I cover/uncover it. Is there a solution to this? As of now I'm covering the windscreen with a soft cloth before covering the car. Ideally, I'd also like to cover the headlamps and tailamps with a cloth before covering. Planning a solution that works by tying a big piece of cloth to the wiper arms with strings and let the cloth cover both headlamps. I'm not sure about a solution for the tail lamps though. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 23rd May 2017 at 12:34.
swiftdiesel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 16:47   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:58   #4
BHPian

Thank you for this in depth and balanced review. Hyundai i20 is indeed an eye catching machine.

Congrats on your purchase. I can share somewhat similar feeling as yours, Mine is an Elite Asta petrol; Clocked 60,000 km so far and due for servicing.

I sorely miss The 'eyebrow' feature available in international variant.

Quote:
- Slightly hard reverse gear; hoping it gets better with usage.
It never improved for me, I have to wait for couple of seconds before engaging reverse. (same is recommended in manual).
shahbaz63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 10:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, so the Renault man bought a Hyundai Hello, and congratulations on the new purchase. In India, I feel a car should be all about maximum potential, we cannot buy coupe sedans here given the microscopic roads, we certainly cannot buy large sedans with restricted rear space either nor hatchbacks where storage and seating is uncomfortable because most of us are 1 car families and such families need a complete car.. it is all about maximization for the budget.

Hyundai cars certainly deliver on that front within the budget, if a combination of space, convenience and reliability is important then certainly there is no better brand than Hyundai today. Its only slightly of concern that today, increasingly, electronic gadgets and screens in cars are thought to be essential features over and above the essentials like informative cluster gauges and safety features, and Hyundai have begun to chop off features left and right to increase profitability.

Any car needs close to 1+ years and 10k+ kms of running to settle down and be close to maximum potential so you shall possibly discover much more about it as time goes, I'm very sure the brand is superbly reliable (personal experience so far) so you should have no problem on that front. I also understand your dislike for drawing attention when buying a new car, I never got the concept of taking a photo in front of the new car holding a 1x3 ft. cardboard key or cutting the ribbon before first drive, either, its a plain and simple car.. what matters is how it serves us, and how it helps make our lives better and that's when the true bond begins.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 11:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Update: First Month Celebration

There's nothing much to report really. The car's been going about doing its job. I'm at around 3000+ kms now, mostly driven in the city. The engine is still settling down and everything's been good so far. I'm gonna pen down a couple of things I've observed in my first month with the i20.

* I realise the pedals are well spaced and the dead pedal is immensely useful. Pretty big for a hatchback but to Hyundai for that.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0127.jpg

* After reading about the stolen Jeeps using computer code, I realised my i20's VIN is pasted on the rear window for the world to see! Instantly decided to peel it off. I've seen this norm with Volkswagen too with the VIN bar code pasted on the fender. Anyway, mine's off.
Joined the Elite Club - My Hyundai i20 CRDi-dsc_0128.jpg

* This is something I'm loving about the i20 and I haven't observed this in my previous cars. The engine idle RPM is always 800, with or without AC. That's so cool because I always feel guilty about that increase in idle RPM when the AC was turned on, especially while parked with the AC on. Not so with the i20 - 800 RPM it is, any time.

* Hyundai could have omitted the auto headlamp feature. Pretty useless to me as I always follow best practice to turn on park lamps at dusk and headlamps in the dark. I'd rather they gave back that auto-dim rear view mirror.

* The cornering lights are a treat to use. Have never used them before and it's such a revelation. It's perfectly angled and it turns off with a theatre-dimming effect. I'm loving it although I suspect it throws other drivers into confusion!

* I initially complained about the beeping horn when locking/unlocking with the fob. I'm not complaining anymore and here's why: I was at a shopping mall and I completely forgot which level I'd parked my car. Walked around each level and found the car, thanks to the twin beeps of the horn. Hyundai's thought process behind this makes sense after all.

* The search by NAME feature on the SatNav is next to useless. In the Lodgy, it used to throw up a couple of options. In this Mapmyindia version? Nothing. Anything I search using a name, the SatNav has no results to show. Yet, when I'm at that destination, the name shows up on the map! I reckon the database query system hasn't been programmed properly. Also, the map interface looks too cluttered. Wish Hyundai chose some other map provider.

* Android Auto works like a charm - until I switch off the car. After I restart it, Android Auto doesn't boot automatically. I have to physically unplug and replug the cable lead to work. I'm not sure if it's the phone or the AVN system but a big thumbs down from me on that.

* Google Assistant is a cool party trick. My kid loves it and functionally, it's pretty useful. Just speaking and let Google do the work is cool. The 'lady' also reads and replies to your WhatsApp messages. That said, Android Auto itself is pretty basic. Google needs to add more features and make it more robust.

* I love how the map reading lights at the front only light up the corner its focusing on - just like in an aeroplane. The other areas of the cabin remain dark.

* Someone mentioned that the ORVMs open by default and there's no way to stop that from happening. I found that if I close the mirrors using the button on the door pad, they remain closed until I release that button. Locking or unlocking the car doesn't open them.

* Having been used to diesel engines with a peak torque, I had to adapt my driving style a bit for an engine with a flat torque. There's no turbo shove in any RPM or gear but there's power readily available at any RPM and any gear. The only time I face a hint of lag is when I'm almost at stopping speed and try to move in 2nd gear. Every other time, there's power on tap when you need it. There's no hesitation or that feeling of lag and that's a breath of fresh air while driving in the city. Also while tackling ramps or inclines, I have to rev the Lodgy a bit to get it going. Not so with the i20 - it just climbs with ease; no shudder or hesitation.

* If I release the clutch too quickly while shifting gears, there's an annoying jerk. I'm still learning to release it a tad bit slower.

* There's a lovely turbo whine at ~1700 RPM and the engine is supremely refined. Beyond 2500 RPM, some engine boom is felt inside but I'm hardly at those RPMs.

These are my observations for now. The next service is at 10k, so there's a long way to go. I'm enjoying the car at the moment and so is everyone in my family. Everyone who's sat in the car has commented about the premium feel that's usually found in cars in a higher price bracket.

Can someone throw more light on the characteristics of the U2 diesel? I'd like to understand the design, technical details and other trivia about this 1.4 CRDI. I'd be grateful if anyone can throw some light or guide me to the right place to find them. Thanks.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 13th June 2017 at 11:13.
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 15:27   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride. Here's wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles !
So how different is the Lodgy's driveability in traffic vis a vis the Duster 110 Ps. Both have the same 1.5 L Dci engine in the same state of tune.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 15:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
* After reading about the stolen Jeeps using computer code, I realised my i20's VIN is pasted on the rear window for the world to see! Instantly decided to peel it off. I've seen this norm with Volkswagen too with the VIN bar code pasted on the fender. Anyway, mine's off.
Is this a thing? As a fellow Hyundai owner, should I be worried?

Quote:
* I initially complained about the beeping horn when locking/unlocking with the fob. I'm not complaining anymore and here's why: I was at a shopping mall and I completely forgot which level I'd parked my car. Walked around each level and found the car, thanks to the twin beeps of the horn. Hyundai's thought process behind this makes sense after all.
I had an i10 before with Autocop installed. I never worried about noting the parking level at malls because the remote would pick up from a fair distance - sometimes even floors - and the car would respond. Creta doesn't have the horn integration with lock/ unlock and I hate that Is there any way to retro-fit a buzzer to lock/ unlock function?
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 15:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all, a bit late, but congratulations on the wonderful car.
One of the most competent hatches available. Wishing you unlimited safe &
happy miles with her.
Quote:
* I realise the pedals are well spaced and the dead pedal is immensely useful. Pretty big for a hatchback but to Hyundai for that.
Shouldn't the size of the dead peddle be unrelated to the car anyway? Its about our foot being able to use it.

Quote:
* This is something I'm loving about the i20 and I haven't observed this in my previous cars. The engine idle RPM is always 800, with or without AC. That's so cool because I always feel guilty about that increase in idle RPM when the AC was turned on, especially while parked with the AC on. Not so with the i20 - 800 RPM it is, any time.
Were these previous cars less powerful petrols?

Quote:
* Hyundai could have omitted the auto headlamp feature. Pretty useless to me as I always follow best practice to turn on park lamps at dusk and headlamps in the dark. I'd rather they gave back that auto-dim rear view mirror.
Trust me, the auto-headlamps though not very common here are really very very useful. Having used them regularly in Europe, I'll certainly prefer to have them. The practice of switching lights on after dusk etc, is of course inbuilt for us but the auto feature certainly ensures we never forget. Also - the most useful you'll find them is when entering underground / thickly covered parking lots where suddenly theres darkness - and the entry and driveway is very curvey / narrow after a slope. The auto lamps are a boon there when we are already fighting to ensure we enter properly without any mistakes.
Agreed that sometimes they come up a bit too early at dusk and others think we are idiots...But then some decades ago everyone thought people with auto-transmissions were idiots also .
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 16:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Is this a thing? As a fellow Hyundai owner, should I be worried?
I don't think this should worry you, at least in India where theft isn't as sophisticated just yet! Imagine your VIN is like your mobile number; so why leave it on public display? That's why I removed it but I do see 9 out of 10 i20s with the sticker on. Check this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...uter-code.html

Quote:
Is there any way to retro-fit a buzzer to lock/ unlock function?
I'm not sure. Better to check with Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. Here's wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles !
So how different is the Lodgy's driveability in traffic vis a vis the Duster 110 Ps. Both have the same 1.5 L Dci engine in the same state of tune.
Thank you Baddychat! I haven't driven the Duster 110PS in traffic to comment. According to reviews, the AWD Duster is slightly better on drivability compared to Lodgy 110 and Duster FWD 110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Ah, so the Renault man bought a Hyundai Hello, and congratulations on the new purchase. In India, I feel a car should be all about maximum potential, we cannot buy coupe sedans here given the microscopic roads, we certainly cannot buy large sedans with restricted rear space either nor hatchbacks where storage and seating is uncomfortable because most of us are 1 car families and such families need a complete car.. it is all about maximization for the budget.

Hyundai cars certainly deliver on that front within the budget, if a combination of space, convenience and reliability is important then certainly there is no better brand than Hyundai today. Its only slightly of concern that today, increasingly, electronic gadgets and screens in cars are thought to be essential features over and above the essentials like informative cluster gauges and safety features, and Hyundai have begun to chop off features left and right to increase profitability.

Any car needs close to 1+ years and 10k+ kms of running to settle down and be close to maximum potential so you shall possibly discover much more about it as time goes, I'm very sure the brand is superbly reliable (personal experience so far) so you should have no problem on that front. I also understand your dislike for drawing attention when buying a new car, I never got the concept of taking a photo in front of the new car holding a 1x3 ft. cardboard key or cutting the ribbon before first drive, either, its a plain and simple car.. what matters is how it serves us, and how it helps make our lives better and that's when the true bond begins.
Thank you dark.knight for the wishes and thoughts! Yes, I'm looking forward to a long time (hopefully!) with the Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
First of all, a bit late, but congratulations on the wonderful car.
One of the most competent hatches available. Wishing you unlimited safe &
happy miles with her.
Thank you Reinhard!

Quote:
Shouldn't the size of the dead peddle be unrelated to the car anyway? Its about our foot being able to use it.
I should have referenced it properly. Yes the size doesn't matter and what I had in mind was the reference to the dead pedal in Volvo/Scania trucks. They are huge and the i20's reminded me of it.

Quote:
Were these previous cars less powerful petrols?
If you've read my signature, you would have realised. All my previous cars were diesels. But all of them increase idle RPM with the AC turned on. It's almost like the norm. The i20 diesel is a bit different (in a good way) in this regard. Don't quote me on this but I feel that the drivability doesn't change either, with or without AC in the i20. In my previous cars, there's a slight spike in performance with the AC turned off and I don't feel that in the i20. I'll check more on this and confirm. As of now, I'm just speculating about the drivability bit.

Quote:
Trust me, the auto-headlamps though not very common here are really very very useful. Having used them regularly in Europe, I'll certainly prefer to have them. The practice of switching lights on after dusk etc, is of course inbuilt for us but the auto feature certainly ensures we never forget. Also - the most useful you'll find them is when entering underground / thickly covered parking lots where suddenly theres darkness - and the entry and driveway is very curvey / narrow after a slope. The auto lamps are a boon there when we are already fighting to ensure we enter properly without any mistakes.
Agreed that sometimes they come up a bit too early at dusk and others think we are idiots...But then some decades ago everyone thought people with auto-transmissions were idiots also .
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 16:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think this should worry you, at least in India where theft isn't as sophisticated just yet! Imagine your VIN is like your mobile number; so why leave it on public display? That's why I removed it but I do see 9 out of 10 i20s with the sticker on. Check this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...uter-code.html
Thanks.
Shouldn't it be easy to track the thief since the requestor's name would be recorded in the Company's system?
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 17:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the car. My dad had a previous generation i20 diesel and it was a pocket rocket in my opinion (and there was turbo lag). The high speed manners were not that great, though I hear its much better in this generation of Hyundais.

The other glaring omission of the DTE, mileage etc. is bad, but it has always been the case with the entire Hyundai family I guess, no idea why they chose not to incorporate this when there are so many people who would find it very useful. I do find the DTE very useful in my car.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 17:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
Shouldn't it be easy to track the thief since the requestor's name would be recorded in the Company's system?
I'm not sure how the entire operation ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Congratulations on the car. My dad had a previous generation i20 diesel and it was a pocket rocket in my opinion (and there was turbo lag). The high speed manners were not that great, though I hear its much better in this generation of Hyundais.

The other glaring omission of the DTE, mileage etc. is bad, but it has always been the case with the entire Hyundai family I guess, no idea why they chose not to incorporate this when there are so many people who would find it very useful. I do find the DTE very useful in my car.
Thank you arvind71181! The earlier i20 was infamous for its turbo lag. The newer ones, since 2014, the lag has been greatly reduced. It's not a pocket rocket either but behaves some what like diesels from pre-common rail days - power over a wide RPM range. The high speed manners are good too for a sedate driver like me.

Yeah, DTE is a glaring omission and such features are present in the European i20. Such a shame really that we don't get it here. Also, here, the Tucson and Santa Fe have it.
Old 25th June 2017, 15:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

i20 as on 25 June 2017.

Just back from a 700 kms round trip. The car has done over 4000 kms now and the true characteristics of the engine is beginning to show up. Highway performance is great and within the city the engine has adapted to my style of driving. Nothing else to report (thankfully!) other than great performance.

Some Observations:

* At highway speeds, the engine is more responsive at 3 digit speeds. This highway trip ironically included my cousin's Lodgy 110PS and hence was able to compare. The Lodgy is great at 3 digit speeds and the i20 was no slouch either as I discovered on this trip.

* One of the best brakes I've ever had, period; that includes all of my previous cars and none of them come close to the i20. Had a few close encounters on this trip and the car braked without drama without letting the other occupants know I was panic braking.

* Auto fold mirrors are such a boon, especially in a city full of maniac bikers. Nowadays, at traffic lights I close them. Love this feature.

* Did the '2nd gear shopping mall ramp test.' All of my previous cars have failed this test and I end up revving it all the way in 1st gear. The i20 aced this test and how! I was able to shift to 2nd while negotiating the ramp; something which I haven't been able to do in any of my previous cars.

* The most comfortable driver's seat of all the cars I've owned. No muscle soreness or ankle pain after long drives. This comfort has even made me forget the absence of cruise control. The only other seat that was this comfortable was in the Ertiga.

* Have never given much thought about trivial features like the leather wrapped steering wheel. It's not a trivial feature anymore. I remember sore skin on fingers after long trips in the Lodgy.

* Really miss MID indicators like 'Distance to Empty', real time fuel average, average kms left. Makes me wonder about Hyundai's rationale behind this STUPID move! The European i20s have them.

* The reverse gear is not synchronised like the Lodgy. At times I forget that and end up crunching the gear lever while engaging reverse.

* Experienced one of the heaviest downpours in the outskirts of Chennai. The fog lamps were very useful here when I couldn't see beyond a few feet. I've always wondered about the functionality of fog lamps. Really came in useful during the downpour.

* My cousin who drove the Lodgy commented that the i20 appears like an expensive German car with DRLs in the rear view mirror; until I came up close, that is.

* Sound quality for audio is just above average. Really have to turn on the volume to make it effective. The Lodgy's speakers sounded better.

* I used to enjoy the 'SatNav lady' in the Renault for her crisp British accent. The one in the i20 is an Indian lady with an Indian accent. I keep her muted in the i20. That said, I love the split screen feature on the SatNav where it clearly shows which exit to take on the split screen with cool graphics. Really useful when you gotta concentrate on the upcoming exit.

* My phone screen cracked during the trip and Android Auto came in handy. I could make calls and send text messages using Google Assistant. It was so useful that I had to be sat in the car to attend important calls and messages.

* Wiper blades are of very good quality. One of the best I've had and it swipes are smooth and super clean.

* The intermittent wiper speed setting is a boon. Came in handy during the thunderstorm.

* The steering doesn't weigh up as much on the highway. I reckon this is one of the complaints of the i20. Really sensitive to inputs at speeds but I'm getting used to it.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the i20. There is very little to fault and it ticks nearly all of my boxes. Look forward to more updates. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 25th June 2017 at 16:01.
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 19:28   #15
Team-BHP Support

Swift to Ertiga to Lodgy to i20. Lots of Cars swapped in past ~5 years or so.

The review is nicely done and yes, this hatch [still] looks the best amongst current crop of hatches. More good pictures would do.

Quote:
* Super vision instrument cluster. Basically, the instrument cluster stays lit all day. Wondered why all the cars don't have it. Really useful to see info at a glance.
Remember you mentioning [way back then] that indigenous manufacturers don't have the always on instrument cluster and it is good because that way, drivers do remember to switch on their parking lamps. Appears your preference changed after using one
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks