Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2017, 15:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno Delta CVT - The experience so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post

The Maruti dealers said that Dzire will be stable at high speeds compared to Baleno.
Back in 2010 when I was on the lookout for upgrading my Santro, one such Einstein from Maruti had told me that the weird rear design on the Ritz was to add that extra bit of downforce during high speed runs

IMO Satish, you pick the car that ticks your heart. These SAs will come up with some weird and totally whacky concepts at times to just add to their monthly sales tally.
Vik0728 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 22:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dheepak, loved your review. Baleno CVT is a terrific car and the CVT is okay as long as you're around 2000 RPM when you floor it.

Quote:
The Maruti dealers said that Dzire will be stable at high speeds compared to Baleno.
I wouldn't believe that unless I drive both cars myself. With everyone rushing to the Dzire, why not consider the Baleno? Waiting periods may come down.

Quote:
I like Baleno but i feel Jazz is a better car. But, will i pay the extra amount for the Jazz?; I am not sure
Jazz is pretty nice, but I would pick the Baleno as it's performance is slightly better. The V CVT version has paddle shifters though.

What gets my goat is that the Jazz doesn't have 60:40 split rear seats and there are no adjustable rear headrests in any of the automatic variants.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 00:58   #33
BHPian

Firstly, Congrats Dheepak on your purchase and an excellent ownership review!! The car indeed looks stunning in the pictures.

Quote:
I own a S Cross 1.3 Zeta. I was cross shopping between Baleno CVT and Dzire AMT. The Maruti dealers said that Dzire will be stable at high speeds compared to Baleno. I am currently in a confused state where i like Dzire but i am not sure of the reliability of the AMT transmission
I am exactly in the same boat. But in my case I like the Baleno more, but am restricted due to CVT not being available in the Alpha trim. For my dad, the Smartplay Infotainment System with the reversing camera set above the bumper is a must (being used to the S-Cross). And I think without the headlamps and DRLs of the Alpha the Baleno looks slightly bland. Why oh why haven't Maruti provided the Alpha trim on the CVT . I have tried providing my feedback to the NEXA outlets as well as the customer care. I would wait for a couple of months if Maruti had plans for a Baleno Alpha CVT.
Djay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 01:24   #34
BHPian

Congrats Dheepak on owning what I feel is most fantastically priced AT hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
For my dad, the Smartplay Infotainment System with the reversing camera set above the bumper is a must (being used to the S-Cross).
Why don't you get Delta CVT, and make it into a project car. Add Android Auto/Carplay compatible system along with Reverse Camera. It may be tough to add it on the boot though. Add alloy wheels and you are good to go.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 00:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Why don't you get Delta CVT, and make it into a project car. Add Android Auto/Carplay compatible system along with Reverse Camera. It may be tough to add it on the boot though. Add alloy wheels and you are good to go.
Analysed this option and I feel its a great idea. But unfortunately Dad does not want too many external mods and risk voiding the electrical / other car warranties. Because we did not like the infotainment system and reversing camera offered under Nexa accessories. Also adding the camera on the boot would require drilling a hole above the number plate and would be a little tricky. Plus he really likes the illumination of the LED Projectors on the Dzire vs the headlamp units on the Baleno Delta/Zeta. So Dzire AMT it is. Just praying Maruti have got their AMT issues sorted out.
Old 10th July 2017, 14:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I own a S Cross 1.3 Zeta. I was cross shopping between Baleno CVT and Dzire AMT. The Maruti dealers said that Dzire will be stable at high speeds compared to Baleno. I am currently in a confused state where i like Dzire but i am not sure of the reliability of the AMT transmission; I like Baleno but i feel Jazz is a better car. But, will i pay the extra amount for the Jazz?; I am not sure
Hi Satish,
I own a 2010 dzire diesel and a 2016 Baleno petrol. rest assured, neither is very happy at high speeds and choppy roads. Both can do 3 digit speeds well ( okay, the dzire diesel more easily than the baleno, which runs out of steam) on smooth roads. But their suspensions are too soft for high speed stability, so you keep getting the boat feel.
Above is my personal opinion, so no brickbats please
Ravi Parwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 14:55   #37
BHPian

Many congratulations upon the purchase of your new car. The review was great and it also did inspire me to take a look at the car and a test drive. The Nexa dealer was definitely a step up from the regular MS showrooms. Took the baleno cvt delta trim on a short spin with a mix of bumper to bumper and a small patch to cruise on. My observations and doubts are as follows:-

1) Effortless to drive in the city on D mode. As per the sales advisor, the hill assist triggers automatically when the brake pedal is released in both D and P modes. And it actually did work.

2) The power delivery was a bit vague and not linear even upon activating the S mode :the way my Ritz ddis reacts when if I upshift constantly below the turbo kick range, below 1500 rpm in a sluggish way. Upon asking the SA about overtaking in a power band, he told that it will take time getting used to the engine / gearbox and the behavior. Question is, how true is that? Any workaround for getting the expected surge when negotiating an overtake with oncoming traffic in the same lane with inclines?
I am seriously considering the Baleno Zeta CVT due to the sheer convenience and the required bells and whistles it offers at the price point.
koolguy_ani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 14:39   #38
BHPian

Hi All,

I did a 600 km drive on Sunday as part of the TBHP Hyderabad meet. The Baleno handled pretty well at speeds in the range of 100 to 120 kph. The new rear suspension handles the "thuds" much better. That said, a couple of uneven bumps on the highway did get it unsettled a bit, but nothing to worry about as the suspensions are still stiff enough to handle those. Corner chuck-ability is not as great as my A-star, which handles corners like a pro.

With the RPM constantly in the 2k to 3k range, I was able to extract a mileage of 17.15 kmpl during the drive. The MID showed 17.4 kmpl. This is considering the fact that the car was idling with AC on for a considerable duration in the post-noon session. The MID witnessed a drop from 17.7 to 17.4 due to this. And that is still fantastic figures. Post my final refueling, the last 130 kms were at 100kmph and nothing too spirited and the MID showed 19.7 kmpl.

The one issue that I felt was the size of the petrol tank, which is 37 litres. At least 45 litres is required for an uninterrupted highway drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolguy_ani View Post
Question is, how true is that? Any workaround for getting the expected surge when negotiating an overtake with oncoming traffic in the same lane with inclines?
I am seriously considering the Baleno Zeta CVT due to the sheer convenience and the required bells and whistles it offers at the price point.
If you give a more acceleration when the car is ambling smoothly around 1500 rpm, you will notice a delay of a fraction of a second. When you need quick power, keep it in the 2000+ rpm range and it can give you power on a quick tap. That said, no flooring the pedal

Quote:
Analysed this option and I feel its a great idea.
I think you can still achieve the reverse camera like in the Alpha variant, but it will require a drill on the boot to get the wiring for the camera done. This electrical work shouldn't void your warranty, but getting the projectors installed may impact warranty as you might be modifying the wiring and harness for that. Hence, I wouldn't recommend it.
dheepak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 09:00   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post

I think you can still achieve the reverse camera like in the Alpha variant, but it will require a drill on the boot to get the wiring for the camera done. This electrical work shouldn't void your warranty, but getting the projectors installed may impact warranty as you might be modifying the wiring and harness for that. Hence, I wouldn't recommend it.
Congrats on Baleno. Wishing you happy motoring.
You don't need to drill a hold in the boot to get the wiring done. You can buy a stereo installation kit for installing any Pioneer system with Android Auto and Apple Car play. The wires for the camera can run from the side floor on the co passenger side to the boot through the trims. Moreover there are brackets available in the market that would allow you to install the camera either between the number plates or by replacing one of the license plate lights.

Regarding the view on the installation of projectors. You can do it like I have done on my polo. You can buy original headlights from maruti and get them modified to have projectors on them. Then you can go to a good installer for retrofitting the projectors. I got it done from Retrorides Delhi. In my case I used morimoto projectors which are really good.No need to cut any wires.

So In the event of a warranty claim you can simply remove the setup and install the original headlights and your car would be back to the original condition.
sunilsoft is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 14:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
Congrats on Baleno. Wishing you happy motoring.
You don't need to drill a hold in the boot to get the wiring done. You can buy a stereo installation kit for installing any Pioneer system with Android Auto and Apple Car play. The wires for the camera can run from the side floor on the co passenger side to the boot through the trims. Moreover there are brackets available in the market that would allow you to install the camera either between the number plates or by replacing one of the license plate lights.

Regarding the view on the installation of projectors. You can do it like I have done on my polo. You can buy original headlights from maruti and get them modified to have projectors on them. Then you can go to a good installer for retrofitting the projectors. I got it done from Retrorides Delhi. In my case I used morimoto projectors which are really good.No need to cut any wires.

So In the event of a warranty claim you can simply remove the setup and install the original headlights and your car would be back to the original condition.
Thanks for your wishes and sharing the installation tips for the Projector lamps!

While I agree with your method for the general fitment of the Reverse camera, the person requesting the query wanted an exact Alpha variant type fitting, where the camera is placed in the Chrome garnish below the rear windscreen. I think drilling through the boot is the only way to achieve this.

A conventional fitting like the one you mentioned is advisable, any day!
Old 22nd July 2017, 17:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
You don't need to drill a hold in the boot to get the wiring done. You can buy a stereo installation kit for installing any Pioneer system with Android Auto and Apple Car play. The wires for the camera can run from the side floor on the co passenger side to the boot through the trims.
Quote:
While I agree with your method for the general fitment of the Reverse camera, the person requesting the query wanted an exact Alpha variant type fitting, where the camera is placed in the Chrome garnish below the rear windscreen. I think drilling through the boot is the only way to achieve this.
Thanks for your suggestions! But with a glorious stroke of good luck, Maruti has launched the CVT Alpha variant And has priced it lower than the Dzire ZXI+ AGS. The tables have suddenly turned in favor of the Baleno. The only drawback is the 4 months waiting period.

I am hoping to master the CVT for overtaking and power on tap. Thanks to dheepak10 for advice on managing the CVT rubber band effect!
Djay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 18:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I am hoping to master the CVT for overtaking and power on tap. Thanks to dheepak10 for advice on managing the CVT rubber band effect!
Alpha CVT is a well-priced variant IMO. Advance congratulations on your purchase!

You can always go for multiple test drives during the waiting period to be well prepared on your delivery date to handle the CVT
Old 24th July 2017, 01:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Alpha CVT is a well-priced variant IMO. Advance congratulations on your purchase!
You can always go for multiple test drives during the waiting period to be well prepared on your delivery date to handle the CVT
Thanks to your perfect advice, I have booked the CVT Alpha in Autumn Orange . Tried the light accelerator inputs and they definitely work much better than flooring the pedal. Am sure will get better with practice. In fact I even found the Sports mode to be pretty useful while overtaking. Additionally the NEXA RM mentioned that I can switch to 'L' while crucial overtakes as it takes the engine RPM above 3000 and gives an effect similar to downshifting. Not sure how good it is for the engine or transmission though.
Djay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 14:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Additionally the NEXA RM mentioned that I can switch to 'L' while crucial overtakes as it takes the engine RPM above 3000 and gives an effect similar to downshifting. Not sure how good it is for the engine or transmission though.
Congratulations on your booking!!

I wouldn't recommend L mode on highways as it may have an adverse impact. As per the owner's manual 'L' mode is for holding a lower gear ratio for a higher period than 'D'. It is generally used for steep inclines and declines as it is supposed to offer better engine braking for the latter.

'D' is good enough for any scenario, except when you want to perform an urgent overtaking maneuver where you can use 'S'.

You can check the owner's manual during your waiting period to understand the various modes better and the customization settings your MID offer . Here's the link
dheepak10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 12:52   #45
BHPian

Finally the rubbing noise from rear right side when applying brakes are solved - or at least it hasn't recurred since my last visit to the Service Center.

This was my 7th visit to the Service center regarding this issue. Every time, they attempt to fix it, only for the issue to recur in a day or two.

This time a senior technician attended to it full time and the final results were achieved with him swapping the wheel hub between rear left and right.

Miraculously, the noise disappeared. He asked me to observe for 2-3 days, with the caveat that if the sound was coming from rear left this time, they'll replace the wheel hub under warranty, but if it was still coming from rear right, they will have to re-examine the issue.

7 days have passed and no issues since.

While the technician employed are well trained and professional, same can't be said about the cleaning guys. There was a fine, long scratch on the bonnet during one of the visits. The Service manager called his polishing guy to fix it. Now the scratch is hardly visible, but in that process my Jopasu microfiber cleaning cloth disappeared.

I will be one of those who is eagerly looking forward to the Nexa exclusive service center.

Most Viewed