Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2017, 18:53   #61
BHPian

re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta MT, now sold. EDIT: Got a Jetta DSG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Update

...So I had 1 issue in the car before service and ended up in having 2. The suspension makes noise when I go over broken road and otherwise is silent on smooth tarmac.

This could be the tie rods, a similar issue had affected my Octavia (Generation 1) and a simple tie rod replacement helped solve it.
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 17:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
This could be the tie rods, a similar issue had affected my Octavia (Generation 1) and a simple tie rod replacement helped solve it.
Or it could be worn/loose brake caliper pins. I had similar noise in my Cedia, only on broken roads. A quick test could identify this. On broken roads drive with slight braking and if the noise subsides a little, it must be the caliper pins.
Old 13th September 2017, 10:31   #63
Senior - BHPian

Update:

So if you have read this thread you should know that after my last visit to the service center, my car is left with 2 issues that I had to deal with. Lets go over them:

1. Original issue: There was a humming noise, sort of some kind of friction, while taking turns at slow speeds.

2. Left front suspension started making noise every time it goes on bad patch of the road. This was courtesy BUB Pune while working on the original issue.

How the issues are resolved:

1. Original issue: So after my last visit to the BUB Pune, I was heart broken to know that instead of one I will have to deal with two issues now.

The issue as I said was a humming noise when I take turns at low speed. I started asking myself below questions:

1. There is this noise only while taking turns
2. Only at low speeds, ideally only when the car is in 1st and 2nd gear
3. No noise while going straight
4. Parts which might be the culprit: Tie rods, link rods connected to suspension, drive shafts, wheel bearings, steering rack, front struts and strut pads, front disc brake covers, discs and pads, 1st and 2nd gears/gear box, clutch as I might be pressing it on turns to change gears

So last time the service center had changed strut mount bearings as a probable cause and while doing so confirmed that strut pads are in good shape. So these 2 are out of questions now. Going by the above list, I started on internet which part causes which type of symptom. Prepared the list in order of least expensive items to be replaced.

I came across below post on internet and it looked like this could be the least disruptive way of checking it fixes the issue.

My pre-worshipped VW Jetta MT, now sold. EDIT: Got a Jetta DSG!-trannyoil.png

Even though it looks strange and might not be an obvious choice of troubleshooting, I thought lets start with this. the gearbox on Jetta has no guideline for transmission oil change at such low runnign (45K KM).

So last week I visited the service center again, this time asked a senior technician to accompany me and troubleshoot the issue. Thankfully it reproduced and we had a chat over the potential fix. He said this does not seem to be an issue with tie rods, link rods and steering rack.

Then I casually mentioned that I read a post on net about tranny oil, and he immediately said yes it could very well be the issue since there seems be some friction and load on differential/GB. He spoke about the load on drive shafts and lack of lubrication. Even though he said this is just his theory, this is the least expensive and disruptive thing to check out. I agreed as I had bad experience of these guys troubleshooting at my cost.

I told SA that I DO NOT wish them to do anything apart from oil change as I had decided that if this does not solve the issue, I will try out my friend's FNG for further troubleshooting.

2. Suspension noise: The front left strut has become weak and there is nothing that they can do apart from replace it. They were certain about this and said no troubleshooting required for this issue. I asked if changing only one strut is recommended to which they said that's not an issue since the right is quite healthy. Its a gas filled strut and costs 8K (Inclusive taxes). I dont like my car making noise apart from engine and HU, so asked them to go ahead.

The phone rings:

The next day SA called me up and gave good news about the solving the original issue. I asked him 3 times if they have indeed tested the fix again, to which he said the same senior technician worked on the car and confirmed its solved now. Half convinced I visited the showroom the next day and took a test drive for around 15 mins. Found out an emply plot and repeatedly took turns to see if its indeed fixed. Thank God, its indeed fixed now

So an hour that I spent on researching similar issues, has solved my problem as well. I am so thankful to the dude who asked one of the guys on one of the forums to replace tranny oil.

This issue could have been solved at 2K had the service center engaged the senior folk and had I read that post earlier. This has taught me that YOU are the best person to first logically narrow down the issue and then ask these guys to carry out the deed instead of trusting them from word go.

This ordeal did cost me: Mount bearings (4K) + Front strut (8K) + Tranny oil (2K) = 14K. Service center waived off the labor charges for suspension replacement as a good will.

I have driven around 50KM since then and I did not hear that humming noise so far. The car is running like a dream now and just completed 6 years of its life span. Fingers crossed

People who complained about same issue on this thread: Please change tranny oil first and see if it solves your issue too.
neoonwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 22:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

After 2 months of peaceful life, another issue cropped up. This time its the ABS sensor which gave up. Thankfully I have VCDS cable which helped me narrow down the issue to the exact sensor. It was the Rear right ABS/wheel speed sensor which was malfunctioning.

Got in touch with the dealer which quoted me 4K for the part + labor. Since one of my friends has his own garage, took the car to him to check if its loose connection/dirt etc and not the actual sensor. Turned out the sensor malfunctions and so ABS warning pops up on the MID randomly. He ordered the part and got it fitted in half an hour flat. The affair did cost me 850 + labor

So since the time I bought this car, this is the second issue which I dealt with in last 6 months. I hope there wont be any such instances in the future.
neoonwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 15:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Of course we just cannot use a stock car, can we?

So its been not even 2 weeks since I bought the beast, I ordered 2 things from AliExpress: RCD 330+ and LED DRL lights.

LED DRL
Quick question - I recently changed my LED DRL - White lights, i am getting an error, i guess the wattage is off, what brand did you order from Aliexpress ?

Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 15:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Quick question - I recently changed my LED DRL - White lights, i am getting an error, i guess the wattage is off, what brand did you order from Aliexpress ?

Thanks
Here you go: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Exce...311.0.0.OfAcgn

I did not get any error on MID/VCDS after fitting these.
Old 12th June 2018, 11:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

So nothing failed on me since NOvember last year (ABS sensor issue) but the clutch travel and its weight was taking a toll on my knee. The Pune traffic did not help either. I tried changing my office commute time but the meetings in the evenings made me stick to a commute slot which usually has the highest traffic jams.

So finally with heavy heart, I did let go my Jetta to a new young chap who already has older Jetta at home and is a VW fan. Wished him many many happy miles and bid adieu to her yesterday. This is the shortest ownership thread of any of my cars (Palio, Punto and Jetta).

Will now start looking out for the replacement. May be Jetta DSG, who knows !!!
neoonwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 21:40   #68
BHPian

Hi Neonwheels,

Sad to hear that you let go of your Jetta. I am a very happy owner of a DSG Jetta. Do an average of 75 Kms a day round the year. Despite that, there has never been a moment of displeasure while driving even in the most craziest of traffic jams. I am almost always grinning when I get on the throttle. She makes me Happy. Have a similar color as you had. Done 133K on the odo and 1L since I bought her 4 years back ( Nov 12 regd model...manufactured in Sept 12 in Germany)
Reason I am posting all this is to share some stats about my cost of ownership so far with this car. Would like to know your views.
By the way...please remove any doubts of me wanting to sell her. No plans of it at all.
My pre-worshipped VW Jetta MT, now sold. EDIT: Got a Jetta DSG!-img20180807wa0003.jpg

My pre-worshipped VW Jetta MT, now sold. EDIT: Got a Jetta DSG!-img20180807wa0004.jpg

My pre-worshipped VW Jetta MT, now sold. EDIT: Got a Jetta DSG!-img20180807wa0005.jpg
burjiis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 15:29   #69
Senior - BHPian

And as luck would have it.... Got myself a VW owned Jetta DSG yesterday, that too in same color .

Days without a car

So as you know, in Jun 18, I let go my Jetta MT to a young chap and touch wood, he is pretty happy with her and has already clocked 10K KMs in last 9 months now.

I started looking out for alternatives but the supply of Jetta suddenly dried up in Mbai and Pune. The amount of time and patience required for buying a pre-owned car is too much. I was Ok with it but me spending 2-3 hours on weekends for the search made my wifey go mad. The mantra of a peaceful life is a happy wife, is what I learned in this and so put up my plans of buying a used car on hold.

Wife gave me an ultimatum that this time we are going to buy a new car as its less hectic and you can mostly do research sitting in your office than scarifying the family time on weekends . So I let go my plans of yet another lateral upgrade and started a patient wait for the Harrier. I got seriously interested in Harrier and as luck would have it, wife also liked the idea of changing to SUV from a sedan. I followed our Harrier thread here like my office inbox and kept myself updated on every detail leaked ahead of its launch. Meantime, I bought a scooter called “NTorq” from TVS for my office commute of 12 KMs each way. Slowly, I adjusted to this “not having a car” feeling and surprisingly it was not that tough. The commute to office was cut by 20 mins, thanks to the scooter as I can zoom past in traffic which in a Jetta was a far-fetched dream. The only time I missed my Jetta was for out of city travels which in my wife’s i10 are not pleasant even though its an automatic. The fact that it does not come with any airbags made me feel anxious and I started avoiding travel. Availability of Zoomcar and the hygiene of these cars has gone south nowadays. The only answer to this was getting a new car of my own.

In January, Harrier was displayed in Pune for couple of days and I took this opportunity to thoroughly check her out. Overall I liked what I saw even though it’s not perfect (But which car is!!) per say. I pinned my hopes on TATA to launch this thing in Automatic version. In February came the disappointment of TATA skipping the AT variant on a such an important car and especially in a segment where AT is a norm. My dream of getting a new car came crashing and I restarted looking out for Pre-owned cars secretly. The only other car which I was interested in is Kia’s SP Concept but it’s still a good 6 months away.

Buying experience

One fine day, I saw 6-7 Jettas on sale in Pune and all with a very specific registration number pattern. It clicked me that these must be from the lot which got auctioned recently in VW. The company provided cars to employees and then sell them in the market through auction every alternate year. I immediately zeroed on one brown Jetta which had clocked 38K KMs and called up the dealer. As it was quite near to where I work, I checked her out on a weekday evening. The car was run less and was immaculately maintained by the company. I got excited and asked my friend (Also on TBHP) to get his scanner next time I go check out the car. As he has his own garage and used to working on European cars, I asked him to take TD and give me his expert opinion. He gave me a green signal and I started negotiating with the dealer. Somehow, things did not work out the way I would have loved to and the dealer sold it off in couple of days !!! This is what happens when you go for a pre-owned car and exactly why my wife is against of me buying a used one this time. He had another 2 done 48K and 56K but those were in Blue and I do not like that shade so called it off.

Carwale was still showing 2 Brown Jettas with another dealer but had 62K and 65K on the odo. Initially I did not bother calling up that dealer as I was hardly interested to put down money on such a high mileage car. On one Saturday since I had some work near to that dealer’s yard, I gave it a shot and TDed the 62K run car. Boy, it was super fun !!! The car was silky smooth and hardly appeared to have such a high clicks on it. The paddle shifters took the Sport mode experience to a new level and I was sold on it. Now, I was in two minds whether to go for it or wait for Harrier AT. The very next day, suddenly Carwale entry for the Jetta was gone and I thought to myself, maybe it’s a sign!!! Curiosity got better of me and I called up the dealer just to keep the engagement. To my surprise, the other 65K run Jetta was gone and not the one which I took TD of. Well, I made up my mind and started negotiating on the price as it was quite high at 15.25L. I made all my efforts of bringing out the negatives in it and striking a price which is comfortable for me if any expense comes up in near future.

After a lot Yes-No and hanging up discussions, the dealer said 13.5L is his final offer. I visited his showroom with a VAG cable and scanned the car for any electronics issues which returned a very assuring “0” errors. I thought, the max I would lose is this car and have to wait for another 5-6 months for a Kia or Harrier AT, so took the risk and told the dealer that I can give you token if you let her go for 12.7L. He was taken aback but looking at the opportunity of a sale, he said, please talk to my senior. I sensed that there are chances for a better price than 13.5L so I met his senior and finally we made a deal – 12.9L for a Sep 2016, 62K run Jetta. Good thing – It has new tyres, has done 60K service in Dec 2018 and has comprehensive insurance till Sep 2019.

So I paid him 10K as a token which to me was buying an option which I would exercise or not depending on the inspection at a VW workshop. Took an appointment at BUB Pune for a thorough check up of the car the very next day as BUB folks said it would take 1.5 days for the complete check-up. When I took her to BUB, the SA told me that it’s a well maintained VW owned car and has recently been serviced at their workshop for 60K KM service. This raised my hopes of this car being a clean pre-owned option. Next day, I got a call from SA post the checkup that I can collect the car and the inspection report. I immediately visited the workshop and asked the car dealer to collect his car and wait for me in his office which is opposite to BUB workshop. The SA said this is a very clean car and always serviced at their workshop (Which I also cross verified at VW Thane) and does not need any kind of work up until the next service due this December. He even offered add-on warranty looking at the car for 40K for a year as the previous owner (VW India) did not opt for extended warranty as they sell off cars every 2 years. This is when I was convinced enough to buy this car but then I thought if I can still bargain to accommodate the warranty.

So I went to the car dealer’s office in half an hour and told him that as of now car does not need any work to which he said he was confident since VW mentioned the same during auction. VW even had got all the cars serviced in Dec 2018 which was confirmed by BUB SA when I had given him 3 Jetta numbers for last service. All were serviced around same time before the auction. My efforts to further bargain went in vein and 12.9L was the price at which we executed the deal.
This is the story of me buying yet another pre-owned Jetta, but this time a DSG !! Got the Add-on warranty and 2 years RSA for that extra peace of mind !!!

What’s new

My earlier Jetta was the very first assembled here back in Sep 2011 and a lot has changed since then!! For me the biggest change is a DSG but below are few other things:

1. Paddle shifts
2. Bi-Xenon headlamps
3. Headlamp washers
4. Dual-zone automatic AC
5. MIB 2 infotainment system
6. New Flat bottom steering wheel
7. Cruise Control (My earlier had controls on stalk, this has on steering wheel)
8. Electric driver seat (Minus memory seat)
9. Adjustable armrest

Will share my driving experience once I clock at least a thousand KMs on the odo. Thanks for patiently reading through my experience !!!

Name:  Jetta.png
Views: 2485
Size:  964.3 KB
neoonwheels is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 15:41   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats man! Always fun to buy a used car, but try as I might VW/Skoda scare the hell out of me! But those cars are so plush and beautiful inside and out.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 15:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got myself a VW owned Jetta DSG yesterday, that too in same color.
Congrats on a repeat buy. Had seen similar for Toyotas, first time for a VW car.
2 Fiats followed by 2 VWs for you . Does left knee thank you now?
Lastly, update your signature now.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 16:06   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Congrats on a repeat buy. Had seen similar for Toyotas, first time for a VW car.
2 Fiats followed by 2 VWs for you . Does left knee thank you now?
Lastly, update your signature now.
you bet !! Lets meet sometime at Muktai
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 16:36   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lets meet sometime at Muktai
. This means kothrud to baner is going to be an outstation trip for you. Sorry to borrow words of 'YCJ'.
You should have asked for an exterior photo-shoot instead of a meet at Muktai .
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 18:56   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
. This means kothrud to baner is going to be an outstation trip for you. Sorry to borrow words of 'YCJ'.
You should have asked for an exterior photo-shoot instead of a meet at Muktai .
Lets connect on WhatsApp
Old 14th March 2019, 19:26   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And as luck would have it.... Got myself a VW owned Jetta DSG yesterday, that too in same color .
Congrats for the "new" car!

Great to know that you have finally taken the leap of faith on the transmission: from a MT to a DSG

Wishing you many happy miles of ownership!
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks