Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2019, 09:22   #76
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta MT, now sold. EDIT: Got a Jetta DSG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
And as luck would have it.... Got myself a VW owned Jetta DSG yesterday, that too in same color .
No customer as satisfied as a repeat customer . But then, the Jetta is such a special sedan. Congrats!

Quote:
Will share my driving experience once I clock at least a thousand KMs on the odo. Thanks for patiently reading through my experience !!!
Please start a new detailed thread on your pre-worshipped ride (including the buying experience).
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 09:35   #77
BHPian

Quote:
And as luck would have it.... Got myself a VW owned Jetta DSG yesterday, that too in same color .
Rarely have people bought the same car twice, that too in the same colour. I've read in a lot of ownership threads that XYZ person thought that the next iteration of their current car would be the best for them, but didn't want to "upgrade" to it because they got bored of seeing the same exterior/interior over a period of time and didn't want the same thing all over again. This just goes on to show how much faith you have in VW and their car.

Wishing you many happy miles with the Jetta, neoonwheels!
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 11:16   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Rarely have people bought the same car twice, that too in the same colour. I've read in a lot of ownership threads that XYZ person thought that the next iteration of their current car would be the best for them, but didn't want to "upgrade" to it because they got bored of seeing the same exterior/interior over a period of time and didn't want the same thing all over again. This just goes on to show how much faith you have in VW and their car.

Wishing you many happy miles with the Jetta, neoonwheels!
Thank you!!! Even though the car and color is same, there are some changes which I have listed out. Also my earlier Jetta ownership did last only for a year so I hardly got to know her better . I hope this would be a pleasant experience !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No customer as satisfied as a repeat customer . But then, the Jetta is such a special sedan. Congrats!

Please start a new detailed thread on your pre-worshipped ride (including the buying experience).
Sure, I will start a new one, once I clock some KMs !!
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 11:48   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congratulations on the Jetta MT to AT upgrade. Wishing you tens of thousands of miles and smiles.

As a past Jetta AT owner, here are a few things I feel that make it very difficult to find an upgrade to the Jetta.
  • The multilink suspensions in the Jetta offer a fantastic balance between comfort and sportiness, it is very difficult to find another car with the same suspension setup. You would have already experienced this in the manual as well.
  • The 2.0TDi + 6 speed DSG is a fantastic combination. The 320Nm torque combined with the lightning fast gear shifts should put a wide grin everytime you take it out.
  • The BiXenons with AFS are just awesome. The active cornering where the light beam follows steering input always lighting the road ahead and static cornering where the cornering lights turn on lighting the side of the roads makes it very safe to drive in the night.

Congratulations once again!
graaja is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 10:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on the Jetta MT to AT upgrade. Wishing you tens of thousands of miles and smiles.

As a past Jetta AT owner, here are a few things I feel that make it very difficult to find an upgrade to the Jetta.
  • The multilink suspensions in the Jetta offer a fantastic balance between comfort and sportiness, it is very difficult to find another car with the same suspension setup. You would have already experienced this in the manual as well.
  • The 2.0TDi + 6 speed DSG is a fantastic combination. The 320Nm torque combined with the lightning fast gear shifts should put a wide grin everytime you take it out.
  • The BiXenons with AFS are just awesome. The active cornering where the light beam follows steering input always lighting the road ahead and static cornering where the cornering lights turn on lighting the side of the roads makes it very safe to drive in the night.

Congratulations once again!
Experienced the Bi-Xenons yesterday night and I am thoroughly impressed. It has awesome illumination compared to my earlier Jetta's halogen reflector headlights.

This car ticks so many things on any enthusiast's list that it becomes difficult to find a replacement. My only worry is the DSG gear box. I hope it wont trouble me anytime in my ownership.
Old 16th March 2019, 12:24   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Experienced the Bi-Xenons yesterday night and I am thoroughly impressed. It has awesome illumination compared to my earlier Jetta's halogen reflector headlights.

This car ticks so many things on any enthusiast's list that it becomes difficult to find a replacement. My only worry is the DSG gear box. I hope it wont trouble me anytime in my ownership.
Make sure you have the active cornering enabled. You will see the light beam swivel left or right based on steering input. This will be an option called “bend lighting” or something in the vehicles settings. I forgot the exact name and location of he setting as it has been a long time. But I remember it got disabled once when the car went for service and I had to search a lot to get the light to move with steering input.

Nothing to worry about the gear box. The one in the Jetta is the DQ250 which is the wet clutch box which is very reliable. The DQ200 is the problematic one.

Jetta is a very reliable car. In the four years I had it, battery and water pump failure were the only issues I faced.

And yes, when time comes, finding a good replacement is going to be a pain

Till then put aside all worries and enjoy the car to the full.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 12:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Make sure you have the active cornering enabled. You will see the light beam swivel left or right based on steering input. This will be an option called “bend lighting” or something in the vehicles settings. I forgot the exact name and location of he setting as it has been a long time. But I remember it got disabled once when the car went for service and I had to search a lot to get the light to move with steering input.

Nothing to worry about the gear box. The one in the Jetta is the DQ250 which is the wet clutch box which is very reliable. The DQ200 is the problematic one.

Jetta is a very reliable car. In the four years I had it, battery and water pump failure were the only issues I faced.

And yes, when time comes, finding a good replacement is going to be a pain

Till then put aside all worries and enjoy the car to the full.
I could not locate this option anywhere in settings. May be my car (Sep 16) does not have this. The only option relevant that I could locate was: Cornering lights, but its just the fog which lights up on steering input. I doubt the Bi-Xenons follow that input.
Old 18th March 2019, 18:14   #83
BHPian

Congratulations @neoonwheels

Same car in same color, now that's what you call lucky! So how much did the MT to AT transition set you back by? (If you wish to disclose)

Wish you a lot of 'Sunny' days ahead with her (the car) and glad that you got it before the summers (read mango season) Looking forward to meeting you this season!

Drive safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 15:42   #84
BHPian

Congratulations Neon Wheels!

I think the Jetta is one of the best pre-worshipped buys on the market.

It appears that the era of 'Made for India' VW's is around the corner from 2020, so if one wants the proper experience of Teutonic build quality, quality interiors and a very good driving experience, without shelling out the big bucks for the German big 3, then the Jetta is a very sensible buy.

Good decision on the add-on warranty - certainly good to have for peace of mind.

With Bi-Xenon headlamps, Dual-zone automatic AC, MIB 2 infotainment system and the flat bottom steering wheel, you lack for nothing in terms of features, as the Jetta is already very well equipped.

Please post a picture of the interior when you can.

My pre-worshipped Jetta is now at 103,750 KM and belies her age. I was unable to get the car serviced due to work commitments, but will get the service and timing belt changed in April 1st week. As I understand it, the Timing belt change interval for Jetta is 7 years or 110,000 km.

From what I have read, the battery and water pump are the parts that tend to fail earlier than planned. Both of these were replaced by the previous owner of my car.

So am sure with a little care and timely servicing your Jetta will serve well for many many more years.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 18:17   #85
Senior - BHPian

Updating the thread after a long time.. Unfortunately, because of home renovation, I had to WFH for most of the part after buying this beauty. Also only a single Mbai trip (Usually do once in 2 months) in last 6 months did not help build up miles. Anyways, below are some of my inputs on this beauty:

1. Its a gem of a car when it comes to all round performance. The design is timeless and the length is just perfect for a good family car.

2. The boot can swallow most of the stuff comfortably for a family of 3/4 for a road trip. I wish it had that Skoda like boot opening where the hatch opens in 2 ways.

3. I dont know if its just me but since I can see some part of the bonnet while driving gives me a feeling of driving a big and sporty car. It also makes me feel comfortable while maneuvering in Pune's mad traffic

4. Since I had earlier Jetta as well (2011 Manual) the interiors are familiar to me, what is a welcome change is that automatic + dual zone AC. Now wife and I both are comfortable in our own ways

5. The flat bottom steering wheel with paddle shifts is drool worthy. The only thing I miss is Mute button

6. I am no new to good handling cars, thanks to Palio, Punto and now Jetta. The ride and handling has a good balance and the rear multilink takes things on different level altogether. However, Punto had far more superior steering feedback, thanks to the HPS unit

7. The Bi xenons are lovely and light up the road pretty well. The cornering light also aids to a large extent

8. I had fitted RCD 330 plus on my older Jetta while this gets a new unit but VW has managed to skip unlocking Android Auto and Carplay on this system. The service center (BUB) has no clue as how to enable the system. Few members have got it to work with help of service center in Mbai. Will chk with them when I visit Mbai next

9. Overall, I am very happy that I got hold of a VW owned car which was only 2.5 years old the time I bought. Even though it has clocked 60K all the services are carried out at BUB Pune and the service history is clean. Being VW's own car, chances of getting it repaired outside are less so that gives me some peace of mind. I also have bought extended warranty just to make sure the first year with the car is spent without worrying about big expense

10. Now with ownership, comes its hassles too. Being 60K run car, the rear suspension had started showing its age. I got it repaired at friend's garage at much lesser price than quoted by BUB. Also these guys are used to working on big Germans so they know their job well.

I will update the thread again in December when the yearly service is due, hopefully by then I would have clocked more miles.

Last edited by neoonwheels : 5th October 2019 at 18:21.
neoonwheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 10:17   #86
BHPian

Hi Neononwheels

I am in a typical situation you were in at a point.

I was in a look out for a pre-owned Vento/Rapid diesel. Apparently I have almost closed on a an MT VW Jetta thru a dealer, toffee brown in color, MT, MH04 registered and am based in Pune at this point. I will be extremely grateful if you can help me with a few things before I go ahead and buy this amazing vehicle.

- I am getting a 75k run, October 2011 model, 1st owner run Jetta for ~sub 5L (is it a good buy)
- What all do I need to look in terms technical stuff etc. Insurance lapsing next month, which I will be renewing
- It runs just fantastic, I was simply amazed with the way car pulled up. Any technical point which should be sort after, or looked at before I go ahead and buy
- What has been your servicing expense in general. Is it generally high, expected et al. What I understand that the yearly maintenance cost will range around 20k. Which I am absolutely fine with.

Whilst I have been in a strong hunt to look at pre-owned vehicles; recently I had shortlisted a Renault Fluence, owing to an earlier Renault Scala I owned, which was a flawless car. But a strong 'not in favor' feedback from a lot of people dissuaded me to buy the fluence.

Your advise will of great help to me, as I am almost on the verge of closing on the vehicle.

@GTO - Sir, you have been a strong advocate of the VW Jetta. Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rish
Old 20th October 2019, 10:32   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
Whilst I have been in a strong hunt to look at pre-owned vehicles; recently I had shortlisted a Renault Fluence, owing to an earlier Renault Scala I owned, which was a flawless car. But a strong 'not in favor' feedback from a lot of people dissuaded me to buy the fluence.

Your advise will of great help to me, as I am almost on the verge of closing on the vehicle.
I own a Jetta and I was the one who tested the Fluence

Frankly, it is more comfortable, well equipped and nicer interiors compared to the Jetta. The handling is the best compromise for Indian conditions. A little less inspiring compared to the Jetta.

Main issue with the Fluence will be

Resale: If you buy it cheap, it should be okay but if you need to sell fast, it will take time.
Parts: Engine and service parts will be cheap as chips as it is similar to the Duster and the Scale diesel. Body panels will be an issue as also that key card (avoid keeping it in your pocket!)
Performance: Its fine if you are not in a hurry but it will be a bit breathless if pushed.

Otherwise, it you buy a good one at
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 10:44   #88
BHPian

Thank you Ajit sir for your post.

I was advised that the electrical if any, failed for the Fluence will be way too expensive to replace and/or repair. Rather this will not be the case for any Dusters, Scala etc. Hence dropped the idea. Albeit the ride quality of the Fluence was unquestionable.

Whilst you own a Jetta can you guide, if this would be the correct buy at this point. Any key point which I may be missing.

Thank you
Rishi
Old 20th October 2019, 11:24   #89

Quote:

Rish
We own a 2012 E4 diesel Fluence and the experience has been a good one. While we did face some issues with the AC Condenser in the first couple of years, that was solved.
Renault service does not get a lot of Fluence's, and at times they can seem very confused on how to fix a certain part. We've been to the centre about a headlight issue more than 5 times now, which still has not been fixed.
We test drove the Jetta before purchasing the Fluence and chose the Fluence because of its ride quality, interior space and quality. While the engine does run out of oomph when pushed, the in-gear acceleration makes it feel quite peppy.
While the service is definitely a hit-or-miss, it's a great car, especially at the throwaway prices I see them going for today. Just for the engine and DSG however, it's hard to say no to the Jetta.
Old 20th October 2019, 11:58   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Neononwheels

I was in a look out for a pre-owned Vento/Rapid diesel. Apparently I have almost closed on a an MT VW Jetta thru a dealer, toffee brown in color, MT, MH04 registered and am based in Pune at this point. I will be extremely grateful if you can help me with a few things before I go ahead and buy this amazing vehicle.

- I am getting a 75k run, October 2011 model, 1st owner run Jetta for ~sub 5L (is it a good buy)
- What all do I need to look in terms technical stuff etc. Insurance lapsing next month, which I will be renewing
- It runs just fantastic, I was simply amazed with the way car pulled up. Any technical point which should be sort after, or looked at before I go ahead and buy
- What has been your servicing expense in general. Is it generally high, expected et al. What I understand that the yearly maintenance cost will range around 20k. Which I am absolutely fine with.
Quote:
Thank you Ajit sir for your post.

I was advised that the electrical if any, failed for the Fluence will be way too expensive to replace and/or repair.
Whilst you own a Jetta can you guide, if this would be the correct buy at this point. Any key point which I may be missing.

Thank you
Rishi
I have run my Jetta (exact spec as the one you are buying) for 65000km.

You need to check service records

1: Annual oil change
2: Clutch - original or replaced (mine is still original!). If original, means a good driver (ignore the self-praise!), normally, at 50k, clutches go if driver driven
3: EGR -30k these might start sticking or fail. Car will stutter
4: A/C - the valves or clutch fails more than the compressor. Check throughly
5: Front suspension power arms - if creaky- around 20k
6: Waterpump if leaky - replace timing belt along with this.
7: Tyres last 30-35000km per set.

My advise is buy and replace timing belt immediately. Budget around 60K for the clutch replacement.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks