Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2017, 18:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta MT, now sold. EDIT: Got a Jetta DSG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Already its done while it was with its prev owner. More so reason for me to get the remap done.
So basically you haven't driven the car at its full potential, Post update the jetta was very lethargic, Get a remap and feel the world of difference soon, 20,000 INR will make your lakhs invested make it worth it.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 12:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations and wishing you safe miles ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
These exactly same things that I didn't like even in my 2016 Jetta CL. Especially the steering at low speeds. Me coming from a Mitsubishi Cedia, the steering definitely annoys me every time at low speeds, in particular at parking spots. I used to Palm-rotate the steering wheel in my Cedia and this needs two hands.

Second thing is the cup seats. I am still unhappy with the depth and have to use some turky towels to compensate. Also the art leather is average.

Other than that, enjoy the beast.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 30th July 2017 at 13:02.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 14:11   #33
BHPian

Hey Abhijeet,

Many Congratulations on your Jetta! Wish you many miles of blissful motoring in your new transport.

Well, when I saw your picture in this post, I thought I had seen you somewhere! If my display name doesn't ring a bell, then well let me tell you I work for the same company Any doubts I had were well and truly erased when I saw the picture of your car in our parking (that was -2, right ?)

If you're still not able to place me, this keyword will surely help: 'Debugging ...'

And BTW I am really shocked to know what transpired in our parking. I just couldn't believe it. From now on I'll be on guard too ...

Take care mate ...
nsubrama2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 15:19   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
So basically you haven't driven the car at its full potential, Post update the jetta was very lethargic, Get a remap and feel the world of difference soon, 20,000 INR will make your lakhs invested make it worth it.
+1 to that.

VW messed up the software update big time, especially for the Jetta. Even the subtle turbo kick one used to get is gone now.

Moreover, engine sound has increased. 20K seems like peanuts for a remap. Those 20K will make that 7.9 Lakhs of investment worth it.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 17:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Yeh, the remap is on top of my list now!! Even my Punto was remapped and it was one of the best investments I had ever done for that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Congratulations and wishing you safe miles ahead.

These exactly same things that I didn't like even in my 2016 Jetta CL. Especially the steering at low speeds. Me coming from a Mitsubishi Cedia, the steering definitely annoys me every time at low speeds, in particular at parking spots. I used to Palm-rotate the steering wheel in my Cedia and this needs two hands.

Second thing is the cup seats. I am still unhappy with the depth and have to use some turky towels to compensate. Also the art leather is average.

Other than that, enjoy the beast.
Congrats on your Jetta too man! Indeed the seat is deep too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsubrama2 View Post
Hey Abhijeet,

Many Congratulations on your Jetta! Wish you many miles of blissful motoring in your new transport.

Well, when I saw your picture in this post, I thought I had seen you somewhere! If my display name doesn't ring a bell, then well let me tell you I work for the same company Any doubts I had were well and truly erased when I saw the picture of your car in our parking (that was -2, right ?)

If you're still not able to place me, this keyword will surely help: 'Debugging ...'

And BTW I am really shocked to know what transpired in our parking. I just couldn't believe it. From now on I'll be on guard too ...

Take care mate ...
Talk about small world. Never knew you are a BHPian . I was shocked that the -2 parking has only handful of cameras. Even shocking was that just a week before a brand new Brezza was damaged but thankfully captured on camera and so the owner got all the expenses covered. In my case, more than the money it was the unavailability of the glass .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
+1 to that.

VW messed up the software update big time, especially for the Jetta. Even the subtle turbo kick one used to get is gone now.

Moreover, engine sound has increased. 20K seems like peanuts for a remap. Those 20K will make that 7.9 Lakhs of investment worth it.
I have no idea how was the throttle response pre-update but the remap is surely on cards for me.
Old 30th July 2017, 18:51   #36
BHPian

Many congratulations on your newly acquired beast sir.

The beast looks well-maintained and you've got it at a competitive price. I considered the Jetta as a lateral upgrade but couldn't find a good example and eventually I moved away from the Jetta.

Since your beast's previous owner has already got the infamous VW Dieselgate fix, please get it remapped ASAP from a reputed remapper and the remap will get you the lakhs invested in the purchase worth it.

Looking forward for regular updates on this thread.

Drive safe & buckle up,
Varun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
+1 to that.

Slightly OT, Vishy is your Jetta running on the Dieselgte fix or the previous map from VW before the Dieselgate fix?

Last edited by ampere : 31st July 2017 at 07:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 21:20   #37
BHPian

Great thread, neoonwheels. I have a Jetta HL AT (also a Sep 2011 edition). The only addition I have done is the bluetooth. I was thinking of switching to the Tiguan until a couple of months back, until I saw the pricing. I then moved on and nearly finalized an X1. Thats when I started to find out how much I could get for my Jetta. The numbers were so low for a well-maintained HL AT that I started thinking hard about why I would part with such a beautiful car for so little. Cut short to today - I plan to keep it for a year more at least. Time to play around with remaps and stuff! Will read through the threads to find out more...
Aurum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 19:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
Great thread, neoonwheels. I have a Jetta HL AT (also a Sep 2011 edition). The only addition I have done is the bluetooth. I was thinking of switching to the Tiguan until a couple of months back, until I saw the pricing. I then moved on and nearly finalized an X1. Thats when I started to find out how much I could get for my Jetta. The numbers were so low for a well-maintained HL AT that I started thinking hard about why I would part with such a beautiful car for so little. Cut short to today - I plan to keep it for a year more at least. Time to play around with remaps and stuff! Will read through the threads to find out more...
Yeh this beauty depreciates like anything. Its good in a way for people like me .
Old 1st August 2017, 13:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the pre-worshiped Jetta! You picked it up at a good price too! I was on the lookout for a good used Jetta as well but wasn't able to find one at a reasonable rate. Eventually picked up a Laura TDI DSG. Similar cars, with similar pros and cons
Enjoy your ride. Are you thinking of a remap? I was thinking of going the Pete's route in the near future.
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 14:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Jetta, Neo! Lots of little mods you can get done to the car, which makes the ownership experience that bit more fun and fulfiling when the upgrade itch kicks in.

I also see you've experienced VW's lethargy for parts! Having owned a Honda, I'd say this is the worst part of the VW ownership experience. Service standards and personnel are quite good, but the parts take an age and a half to get delivered. I think they send all their parts from Germany via state-of-the-art pigeon mail.

Anywho, enjoy the car, and yes. Do get a remap, and stickier tyres whenever you do. Improves the experience exponentially. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
I was thinking of going the Pete's route in the near future.
Pete's is a very good option at 17500-18000, but do keep in mind that they might well have to ship the ECU off to Kochi for flashing, leaving you without the car for some days. Do factor that into your plans too. Revo, Code 6, TuneoTronics are other great options you can go with.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 14:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Pete's is a very good option at 17500-18000, but do keep in mind that they might well have to ship the ECU off to Kochi for flashing, leaving you without the car for some days. Do factor that into your plans too. Revo, Code 6, TuneoTronics are other great options you can go with.
Thanks. Your thread is a great source of reference. I'm ok with a week or so of downtime in the larger scheme of things. Had you evaluated the others? My reason for favouring Pete's is their long and successful track record with VAG cars. Have read feedback about smoking exhausts with T-O-T which makes me less keen on them. Other two I don't know much about, so do share any info you may have. Bottom-line - the remap needs to add the extra punch we're all looking for, but reliability and daily driveability are paramount.

By the way, do the Pete's guys pick up the ECU from your home or does the car need to stand in their workshop for a week-10 days? Cost is 19k now, plus taxes and shipping.

Last edited by razor4077 : 1st August 2017 at 14:49.
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 14:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Your thread is a great source of reference.
Grazie.

Quote:
Had you evaluated the others? My reason for favouring Pete's is their long and successful track record with VAG cars and borders on being affordable, lol!
To say it's affordable is an understatement, it's like saying Sachin could bat a bit

I did consider a few others, primarily TuneoTronics, but they were roughly twice as costly (primarily since they have to travel), but the upside is that they'll come wherever you are and get it done. Always helps. They're quicker too, all things considered.

Quote:
Have read feedback about smoking exhausts with T-O-T which makes me less keen on them.
For what it's worth, I was out on a drive a few weekends ago and a buddy trailing me noted some black smoke coming out of the exhaust, but that was under seriously hard acceleration with the car in Sports mode. So I think it's not just a ToT thing.

I think the black smoke is an unfortunate side effect of the car being a dirty diesel, so to speak. It only really appeared under extreme conditions, so that's OK enough in my books.

Quote:
Other two I don't know much about, so do share any info you may have. Bottom-line - the remap needs to add the extra punch we're all looking for, but reliability and daily driveability are paramount.
I know very little about Code 6, but I do know of a bunch of GT TSI's that got their work done with Revo and are happy as can be. That said, I'd stick with Pete's and TuneoTronics because it's the known devil and all that.

I was hoping the remap would add a bit more torque to the bottom end of the power band, but it's added enough to keep me happy. Plus, if I did get that, it would be a pain in traffic. So in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't get it my way. This 180 BHP map is great for daily driving and reliability isn't a concern, so you're sorted there!

Quote:
By the way, do the Pete's guys pick up the ECU from your home or does the car need to stand in their workshop for a week-10 days? Cost is 19k now, plus taxes and shipping.
Nope, the franchisee is at Peddar Road, so you'll have to drop the car off there and that's where it'll be stranded if the ECU needs to be shipped off.

Even at 19000++, it's a good deal, although the gap to TuneoTronics then becomes significantly smaller. Both good guys to work with, so do get a remap at some point. And stickier tires! Let us know which way you go.
Old 1st August 2017, 15:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For what it's worth, I was out on a drive a few weekends ago and a buddy trailing me noted some black smoke coming out of the exhaust, but that was under seriously hard acceleration with the car in Sports mode. So I think it's not just a ToT thing.

I think the black smoke is an unfortunate side effect of the car being a dirty diesel, so to speak. It only really appeared under extreme conditions, so that's OK enough in my books.
From what I gathered from other threads, ToT remapped cars have smoking habits even when not pushed to the limit. Some black smoke when pushed is standard for all/most diesel cars I think - the "dirty diesel" side effect as you said. Will talk to the ToT guys anyway and get their first hand take on it. But I'm still leaning towards Pete's given their track record and a pretty tried and tested remap. Let's see what happens eventually

By the way, why is it that ToT can unlock the ECU and reprogram it onsite whereas Pete's has to have it shipped to Kochi? Case of not having onsite expertise in the latter, assuming the experts travel for the former?

Quote:
Even at 19000++, it's a good deal, although the gap to TuneoTronics then becomes significantly smaller. Both good guys to work with, so do get a remap at some point. And stickier tires! Let us know which way you go.
Tyre upgrade cannot happen now as I recently switched to new P3STs in the stock 205 size. Will make do for now!
Old 1st August 2017, 15:17   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, why is it that ToT can unlock the ECU and reprogram it onsite whereas Pete's has to have it shipped to Kochi? Case of not having onsite expertise in the latter, assuming the experts travel for the former?
I think that's exactly it, the franchisee's don't have the know-how and/or tools that Pete's Kochi has available at their disposal. ToT's entire modus operandi is to make the mountain come to you rather than you have to go in search of it, their turnkey solutions at your doorstep are an easy sell and very attractive.

Quote:
Tyre upgrade cannot happen now as I recently switched to new P3STs in the stock 205 size. Will make do for now!
All that means is you'll get a decent amount of wheelspin, which is fun too
Old 1st August 2017, 19:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Thanks iliketurtles for the inputs. I shall keep that in mind whenever I decide to get it remapped.

As of now there is an issue which I need to sort out first before I venture into the map of remaps

There is a humming noise when i take turn (Left and Right) at around 10-30 kmph. It does not happen if I turn the steering while at standstill. My guess it either the disc is grinding against the disc cover while in motion OR something to do with wheel bearings. Next month the yearly service is due and I shall get it rectified then.

Will keep this thread updated on the issue.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed