Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2018, 11:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd

Finally got rid of the 'S' stickers on the sides. Car looks a bit plain now.

Drove D3mon's Aspire with the RD box since I'm trying to make up my mind between this and a remap. I could feel a very good linear push when I floored it in 4th. It's the mid range poke that has increased and quite prominent.

Having driven a non sports version after long, I could feel the ride is quite plush compared to my car and the suspension thuds are almost non existent. At high speeds is where the actual difference will be obvious.

Car has run around 8.5k kms and has seen less running in last two weeks since I've been using a Polo 1.2
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-6bd917d1f01a489e8c578e6670bb97ff.jpeg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-017e5ff485b4426a9687f8157485036d.jpeg  

tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 17:29   #62
Senior - BHPian

Did a smoke test today since Ford 1.5 TDCi engines are known to smoke a bit.
Revv'd upto 4.5k rpms in neutral in short bursts and I was happy with the results.

I also have one while driving which again was not as expected. I had to look for the smoke in the video since it was light.

tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 17:17   #63
Senior - BHPian

Finally, went for the re-map itch and got it done today.

It is a Stage 1 remap with around 30-35% increase in power and torque. Although these figures are just for my information, the actual figures won't be known until a dyno run which I won't be doing as I am quite satisfied with the butt dyno.

I chose CODE6 mainly due to the discount they were offering, although I have no idea what the actual cost for Stage 1 is., but compared to the other tuners, it was still worth it. The remap didn't take too long, however it had to come back to stock map since the EGR valve not showing any difference in figures ,which I wanted deleted. The figures shown before and after re-map was the same probably due to the partial plate I had fixed.
Anyway , that work is being postponed and the Stage 1 map was flashed. On the first trial drive, I couldn't feel much of a difference except when the turbo spooled, I felt a slightly more push on the seat compared to before, but I wasn't happy and so wasn't the tuner. Returned and got all the turbo plumbing clips tightened (they were actually not full tight) and got the MAF sensor cleaned and took it for another spin and what a difference. I couldn't actually feel the full effect due to the traffic , but I knew the torque has increased.

On the return I got some opportunities to experience the changes and

It wheel spins in second when I bury the pedal and torque steers all the way to third gear. The torque aside, the way the engine pulls when the turbo kicks when the gas pedal is stomped on is just crazy.
I haven't tried driving like how I normally do to feel the difference in daily drive, but the torque change saw me shuffle between 3rd and 4th on the return from the turner. And the best part of it all, the smoke hasn't increased , atleast till now. I am also waiting for the next trip to know how it has improved at highway speeds and with load.
The engine oil and filter needs to be changed as well which will add a bit more oomph.

The car being light has helped a lot and so as the bigger tyres. It is not an un-controllable type of power increase. What I feel are the brakes are going to see pads being replaced more often than usual and I am waiting for the stock Alnacs to wear out so I can go for something stickier.

I didn't want to wait till the engine has run more to do this since I wanted to enjoy the car to the fullest from the beginning till I have it. It was the same case with my old Figo when I go the Red Rooster exhaust and intake done when the car had just reached 10k kms. This time it was just 8.5k kms.

A big thanks to DrNaren, Deetjohn, D3mon and Keroo for helping me out with the details and letting me drive their cars to feel the difference (D3mon & Keroo)

Will post more experiences and specifics as I pile on kms. The car has run 8600 kms .

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th January 2018 at 19:05. Reason: edited as requested
tharian is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 13:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

And the fun continues.

It has been just few days since the re-map and the increase is quite evident especially when I drive on my daily route to work.

I have no idea what the actual figures are, but I am not that keen on it either since it only helps in putting a number on it. Otherwise, I am quite happy with the feel.

I need to change the engine oil and air filter as soon as possible since I am sure it will improve the existing feel, especially before the turbo kicks which is at present just a bit more than before the map was flashed.
Now the way it picks up when the turbo kicks in is quite aggressive which is not how the actual feel is supposed to be unless the map is like that.

Got another useful feature enabled without having to do much.
Ford cars have this software called Forscan which is similar to VW's VCDS. Thanks to member D3mon who helped me setting it on my car , I got the fog lamps to work as the DRL. When the park lamp is turned on, the fog lamps turns off and can be used as how it is was before. Since the fog lamps are yellow in my car, during the day it is not much of a nuisance either.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 14:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Ford cars have this software called Forscan which is similar to VW's VCDS. Thanks to member D3mon who helped me setting it on my car , I got the fog lamps to work as the DRL. When the park lamp is turned on, the fog lamps turns off and can be used as how it is was before. Since the fog lamps are yellow in my car, during the day it is not much of a nuisance either.
Interesting. This means that a lot of other options might be customisable.

How do we get to access the software and settings? Is it available online, or does someone have it? I have seen the Ford cable available on AliExpress, but have no idea about the software.

PS: Can you (or D3MON) check if the Pull-drift-compensation feature be switched off?
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 14:26   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post

How do we get to access the software and settings? Is it available online, or does someone have it? I have seen the Ford cable available on AliExpress, but have no idea about the software.

PS: Can you (or D3MON) check if the Pull-drift-compensation feature be switched off?
Since my Ecosport is also running a Code6 remap from last 2 weeks let me also pitch in.

Sajan from Code6 also told me about Forscan. It's a paid app on Google play store. For it to work you need to buy the OBDLink MX BT adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-4261...7388942&sr=8-1
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 14:38   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, quite a few settings can be customized, many to do with the lights.
I don't remember seeing the pull-drift settings in the list. Many of the settings cannot be achieved on our cars mainly because the module is missing on our models. D3mon can pitch in since he will know exactly which is available.

I wanted to get rid of the secondary clutch switch, but I don't think there is a setting for that.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 14:51   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wanted to get rid of the secondary clutch switch, but I don't think there is a setting for that.
Secondary clutch switch is only on the petrol. You have the 1.5L TDCI which doesn't have a secondary clutch switch as far as I was told from Ford technical guy during the Figo sports review.
Old 31st January 2018, 15:05   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Secondary clutch switch is only on the petrol. You have the 1.5L TDCI which doesn't have a secondary clutch switch as far as I was told from Ford technical guy during the Figo sports review.
I am quite sure it has one too, not just with Sports.

The rpm increases as soon as the clutch pedal is released a bit and drops as soon as the pedal is fully released which causes the car to slow down abruptly which is an irritant since it is like braking .
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 15:35   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Can you share the specifications or the link of your parking and brake LEDs.
Quote:
Not sure of the rear LED's for brakes which I am yet to receive.
I have replaced brake, position lamp, boot lamp, dome/cabin lamp with Osram LEDs (bit on expensive side). I am awaiting delivery for reverse lamp replacement. I am struggling to find P21/4W in LED setup. I may not replace direction indicators as they are likely blink in an unusual interval.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 31st January 2018 at 15:43.
Old 31st January 2018, 17:08   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Sajan from Code6 also told me about Forscan. It's a paid app on Google play store. For it to work you need to buy the OBDLink MX BT adapter:
Thanks for letting us know that something exists for Ford cars too.

I was under the impression that only VAG cars had this extra advantage of tweaking certain settings as a DIY.

Do we have something similar for Suzuki cars too?

I know MSM used some tool to tweak the Lane Change function in my Ertiga.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 19:11   #72
BHPian

Quote:

No, This is not something that can be switched off using Forscan.

Quote:
Since my Ecosport is also running a Code6 remap from last 2 weeks let me also pitch in.

Please pitch in with your review of the remap as well!

The play store app is one option - the other one being the Forscan software for Windows laptops, which is provided for free from the official website.
http://www.forscan.org/download.html

This needs to be used either with the OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter, or a wired USB connector that I got from Aliexpress.

A list of features that can be tuned using this software can be found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...730/edit#gid=0

Note that not all features are available in an Aspire, as we don't get all the modules. Something much more advanced like an Endeavor or the new Ecosport might have better luck with some of the modifications listed in this spreadsheet.
d3mon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 21:16   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post

Please pitch in with your review of the remap as well!
Yeah have been wanting to do that however just like Tharian, Sajan has suggested a new air filter and change of engine oil.

I just ordered Liqui Moly https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-5W3...ds=5w-30&psc=1

Have to get the car serviced as well as there's lots of squeaks and the clutch is already shuddering thanks to traffic and bangalore roads.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 09:22   #74
Senior - BHPian

Had a nice drive to work today with the temperature hovering around 15c outside.
Because of which the car was nice and responsive and picked up speed quickly, not to mention the less engine noise.

Over the last few days in order to check the power difference, the engine was pushed to 4k and above in lower gears and I could gauge how loud this engine is. It actually has a sporty note at the higher revs, of course with a splash of diesel clatter, but not annoying.

Parked next to me at my office lot was the new Ecosport that almost gave me buyers remorse when it was launched .
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-img_9041.jpg  

tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 18:06   #75
Senior - BHPian

Smoke levels from my car after the re-map. Hardly any change, in fact looks like it has reduced.

tharian is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed