Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2019, 22:09   #181
BHPian

Re: Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Last week when I took it out after a 3 day break, I felt the engine to be quite jerky when it came to acceleration. It seemed like it was fueling too much which led to unwanted acceleration during slow speeds and during gear shifts. That lasted for a day during the onward and return from work. Thankfully, I did not experience it on the next day.
Hi Tharian. I have a Figo S TDCi and I too had gotten the EGR delete plate fitted after getting inspired by your DIY mod. I was toying with the idea of a remap after the EGR delete but couldn't decide on a reliable tuner to take the plunge. Your remap story with Wolf Moto coupled with good reviews by BHPian Dr. Naren on his S-cross thread helped me immensely in narrowing down on Wolf Moto for my remap.

Met with Srikanth from the Wolf Moto team and it was a simple OBD flash to get my car remapped. I just love forced induction engines, especially diesels, for the super easy process of bumping up the power. I insisted on the absolute map that you had got flashed on your aspire and as with most good tuners they did have your map stored with them by your name.

I have driven my 'Tharian - Wolf'd' Figo for almost 15,000 kms and the map is fantastic to say the least. It retains the stock character of the car with a power bump everywhere in the rev range except the absolute top end (>4200rpm). I am in awe of what this little hatch can do to other much more expensive cars on the road and the added power makes for stress-free highway drives while delivering stellar efficiency figures. Kudos to you for documenting your experience so well. Gave me a lot of confidence to get my car remapped.

I too have noticed the issue of erratic/too much fueling in the sub 2000rpm range when i take my car out after a couple of days. However, it gets resolved after a short commute in the city. I believe the ECU has become a lot more perceptive of the driving style post remap and is always on the lookout to give you the best performance depending on your current driving style. This might lead to the ECU getting confused with the fueling when the car is sitting idle for a few days. This is just my hypothesis and I don't have a solid technical logic to back this up.

But this behavior is not too worrisome and gets rectified on its own after some time. I treat it as the warm-up time for the engine before it wakes up fully
Vibhanshu0923 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 20:15   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu0923 View Post
Hi Tharian. I have a Figo S TDCi and I too had gotten the EGR delete plate fitted after getting inspired by your DIY mod.
Glad my updates helped you.

Since you have blocked the EGR as well, I wanted your feedback on any difference in engine characteristic when compared to before fitting the plate.

I felt my engine braking or rpm drop when deacclerating especially in lower gears is quite pronounced after the EGR plate was fitted.
It was not the case with the partial delete plate or after the software delete.
Old 17th September 2019, 12:58   #183
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend was one of those exploration trips, this time in North Chennai, namely Pulicat and Ennore. Ran around 850 kms in all.

I had to visit Chennai and had a day free and decided to head out to Pulicat lake which was on my mind for a while now. The drive to Chennai was via Krishnagiri and being a weekend, traffic was not bad, even after entering Chennai. Since the previous trip, I have been driving at 100 kmph which in turn results in around 19 kmpl. An occasional burst on an empty stretch doesn't affect it much. This way, I can get the best of a diesel car as well as enjoy the power bursts every now and then.
On the return I took the Vellore highway and then cut off from Vellore to Chitoor and headed back via Kolar and Hoskote. Traffic was not much although I noticed it has increased from the last trip two months ago. But the good part is, there is no heavy vehicle traffic like it was when this road was single lane.

I got some straight open roads were I could open up and hit some silly speeds in no time. I noticed the car hits a certain speed rapidly, but after that, even with an empty stretch, it takes a long time to do another 15 kmph. This is in the top quarter of the speedometer.

The trip to Pulicat late was an interesting one. I headed out on Marina beach road all the way to Ennore port following the road along the coast. Once I got into the industrial belt, it was just trucks and trains on the road and alongside. I headed all the way to L&T's shipbuilding yard following GMaps and realized I couldn't go further since I hadn't taken the cut off to Pulicat which I didn't notice, nor were there any boards since this road is not a main road or a used road apart from the trucks carrying materials to the yard. I had to take a U turn and join a state highway which headed to Pulicat. On the way, while still in the industrial belt, I was running low on fuel and spotted a company owned BP fuel pump and decided to top up. This was near the main fuel depot and I realized what a difference a good quality fuel makes. On the return to Bangalore, even with some hard driving, the NVH was perfect and the fuel efficiency after all that was close to 19kmpl.

Once I found Pulicat, I thought of following the coastal road back to Ennore since I had a feeling it connects. This is a narrow road along the beach for around 20 kms. Hardly any vehicles on the road except for few locals on bikes. I decided to take this road and thankfully the roads were good most of the way and finally connected to the road where earlier I had taken a U turn thinking it is a private road to the ship building yard. It is a good stretch of road with some nice empty beaches on the side.

Car has run 23.5k kms with this trip.

The picture showing the straight pipe when the wheel was removed for rotation at Madhu's.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-img_3314.jpg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-img_3421.jpg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-img_3424.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 17th September 2019 at 13:04.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 13:30   #184
BHPian

Very informative thread for Figo / Aspire TDCI lovers. I own a Figo S TDCI which is at stock now. Tried the Dieseltronic dual channel box but was not impressed with it's output. Have uninstalled it and driving on stock which too is good enough to please me.

Post driving for long do you find the stiffness of the car making your tired?

I have driven my Vento and Ameo from Mumbai to Goa and same with Figo S. Although Figo S was miles ahead in driving pleasure and fun, it made me more tired than the Germans. There were quite a few road work going on and the stones, small potholes and uneven surfaces could be felt inside the cabin. However, the upside was driving it on ghats which was incomparable to any of the cars I have driven till date.

Finding a good driving position is also sometimes a task especially with the chunky steering (which I like) and thick A Pillar. The AC is a chiller but only post having Garware Sun Films installed all over.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 17th September 2019 at 13:33. Reason: spell check
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 13:54   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

Post driving for long do you find the stiffness of the car making your tired?

I have driven my Vento and Ameo from Mumbai to Goa and same with Figo S. Although Figo S was miles ahead in driving pleasure and fun, it made me more tired than the Germans. There were quite a few road work going on and the stones, small potholes and uneven surfaces could be felt inside the cabin. However, the upside was driving it on ghats which was incomparable to any of the cars I have driven till date.

Finding a good driving position is also sometimes a task especially with the chunky steering (which I like) and thick A Pillar. The AC is a chiller but only post having Garware Sun Films installed all over.
Compared to Vento or VW, you will feel tired on a long trip with a Figo, mainly since the comfort in high speed is not present in the Ford. The faster you go, the more you feel the speed since the car is light. And being a stiffer set up, you hear and feel most of the undulations on the road. But it is better than the old gen Figo.

I do feel tired if the roads are bad and is heavy on traffic. For instance the last trip to Chennai was on the expressway 100% ,with less traffic and by the time I reached my destination, it didn't feel like I did a long trip.
I was driving sedately too.

The seating position is something which affects me too. I try not to give the car to anyone to move when parking since the instant the seat position is changed, I have try multiple times to get it back to what it was.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 16:58   #186
Senior - BHPian

Got the left power window switch replaced under warranty today.

It was my last visit to this service centre since it shuts down on the 30th. Metro Ford have shut all the showrooms and almost all of their service centres in Bangalore. They continue to have branches operating in other cities in Karnataka.

This branch in Lingarajapuram was very convenient for me since it was less than 2 kms away from home. The next closest one is PPS Ford in Domlur and from what they told me, a new one is coming up on Hennur Road by Cauvery Ford.

The power window switch was not available with them since they had stopped ordering parts on account of closing. They were accepting just 2-3 cars in a day for servicing during this month. I had visited them last Saturday and was told they will call me when they get the part. Today again, the person who spoke to me last time wasn't available, instead another person checked for the part which was still not available. I was asked to go home and when they receive the part,they will send a technician home to fit it. I was surprised when after few hours, a person came with the part which he got from another branch and fitted it. I didn't expect them to follow up when they were shutting down in the next few days.

I asked about the temperature control sensor which makes a buzzing noise at times in my car. It is a little fan that makes the noise as per the technician. If it gets bad, I will get it replaced under warranty too.

A last picture of the service centre I have been visiting since 2010.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-f761384b92ae433c80802cf8de75aa1f.jpeg  

tharian is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 19:47   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

a new one is coming up on Hennur Road by Cauvery Ford.
All the news online about Ford making a soft exit and then I read this! I am confused
Old 28th September 2019, 19:54   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
All the news online about Ford making a soft exit and then I read this! I am confused
Kavish Ford in Mumbai has also handed over their dealership. They have taken over Kia.
Similarly, quite a few Ford Dealerships are being handed over but they WONT exit All speculations so till we hear from the horse's mouth, they remain as speculations.

News of Freestyle Automatic is also doing the rounds.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 20:53   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
There are existing customers and Ford is still on the sales chart. Moreover, Metro Ford had I think 3-4 service centre's around Bangalore. Those customers need to be catered to and the existing centres now would get overloaded.

So good decision I would say since this one that is coming up is around 4-5kms away from the one that is shutting down. It will cater to existing customers in this area that way.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 23:20   #190
BHPian

Got my Figo Sports TDCI remapped - stage 1 by Wolf Moto today.

Haven't felt much difference today but Shrikanth (Wolf Moto) said the ECU takes time to adjust and post few days and ~300 KMs you will see a considerable difference.

It was just a 5 mins job. They saved my stock map and over wrote with theirs.

I did not know of the 'Tharian Wolf Map' as mentioned in this thread but will definitely ask if it is different than what I have got.

Tharian and others who have had this Map please do give details on how it is better than stock and what are the other imperative points that I need to take care of.

PS: As per them EGR was deleted.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 08:38   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got my Figo Sports TDCI remapped - stage 1 by Wolf Moto today.

Haven't felt much difference today but Shrikanth (Wolf Moto) said the ECU takes time to adjust and post few days and ~300 KMs you will see a considerable difference.

It was just a 5 mins job. They saved my stock map and over wrote with theirs.

I did not know of the 'Tharian Wolf Map' as mentioned in this thread but will definitely ask if it is different than what I have got.

Tharian and others who have had this Map please do give details on how it is better than stock and what are the other imperative points that I need to take care of.

PS: As per them EGR was deleted.
Good stuff

Yes, it will take a while for you to feel the full effect of the remap and the good thing is, it keeps getting better.
It has been a year and 10k kms since I got my map from WM and every time I go for a trip, it feels better than the last time.

Mine is a Stage 1 map too which was tweaked here and there for my needs. I needed a bit more power all around the rev range, so after few months they had developed a bit more aggressive map, especially for the top end which I got flashed. I'm not sure if it is the first one or second one they have saved under my name. The first one had a good low and mid range,but I needed some more juice at the top, hence the second map.
The second one took a while to settle and now it is good all round in terms of fuel efficiency, engine noise and power.

For full effect of the map, keep an eye on the air filter and engine oil quality. I change the air filter every 5k kms and oil anyway comes upto less than 10k when it is time for the annual service. Also fuel additives help.
Fuel efficiency will depend on your right foot now.
Old 25th October 2019, 11:36   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Good stuff

Yes, it will take a while for you to feel the full effect of the remap and the good thing is, it keeps getting better.
It has been a year and 10k kms since I got my map from WM and every time I go for a trip, it feels better than the last time.
This is a lot more reassuring especially after having spent some good amount of money on RD box as well.

Quote:
Mine is a Stage 1 map too which was tweaked here and there for my needs. I needed a bit more power all around the rev range, so after few months they had developed a bit more aggressive map, especially for the top end which I got flashed. I'm not sure if it is the first one or second one they have saved under my name. The first one had a good low and mid range,but I needed some more juice at the top, hence the second map.
The second one took a while to settle and now it is good all round in terms of fuel efficiency, engine noise and power.
I feel I shall too have it modified a bit. Need more on the low and middle revs. In Mumbai, hardly any opportunities to max out.

Quote:
For full effect of the map, keep an eye on the air filter and engine oil quality. I change the air filter every 5k kms and oil anyway comes upto less than 10k when it is time for the annual service. Also fuel additives help.
Fuel efficiency will depend on your right foot now.
I am keeping the engine oil change every 7500 Kms and will definitely check on the air filter as well. Recently had the car serviced at 9k Kms.

Thinking of trying to take the car out for a good 2000 Kms trip from Mumbai - Goa but then have been spoilt by the VW DSG for the comfort. Anyhow travelling to Pune tomorrow to meet WM again. Will speak to them about your MAP and try to get it modified according to my need if required.
Old 25th October 2019, 11:54   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I feel I shall too have it modified a bit. Need more on the low and middle revs. In Mumbai, hardly any opportunities to max out.

Anyhow travelling to Pune tomorrow to meet WM again. Will speak to them about your MAP and try to get it modified according to my need if required.
I would suggest letting the ECU get used to the new map and you will get used to it as well in the same time. I liked their Stage1 map actually, and mine was tweaked for maximum linear delivery and was really nice when it came to drive-ability.

Anyway WM visits major cities often, so you can always get it done as per your wish after getting to know the present map.
Old 25th October 2019, 18:30   #194
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest letting the ECU get used to the new map and you will get used to it as well in the same time. I liked their Stage1 map actually, and mine was tweaked for maximum linear delivery and was really nice when it came to drive-ability.

Anyway WM visits major cities often, so you can always get it done as per your wish after getting to know the present map.
Yeah. Slowly I have started feeling the difference now especially in the mid range. I spoke to them and they said yours is a custom made map. Similar to yours, I have asked if they can do one for me as I need more torque at the lower and mid range up to say 4k rpm. In Mumbai, you won't go more than that most times.

Any thoughts on the above then do let me know as I am meeting them tomorrow.
Old 25th October 2019, 19:28   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah. Slowly I have started feeling the difference now especially in the mid range. I spoke to them and they said yours is a custom made map. Similar to yours, I have asked if they can do one for me as I need more torque at the lower and mid range up to say 4k rpm. In Mumbai, you won't go more than that most times.

Any thoughts on the above then do let me know as I am meeting them tomorrow.
The easiest way to convey to them what you need and for them to get it done is to give them rpm reference points. At what rpm do you need how much power. Also keep in mind your driving habits when it was stock and what revs you normally drive in and what changes you want at those revs. The lag can be reduced too this way.

4k rpm is top end. You can make play around till 3k rpms or less for city use. Once you get used to it, you will have enough torque within 2k rpm to pull off easy overtakes and less gear changes.

Last edited by tharian : 25th October 2019 at 19:30.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed