Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2021, 09:54   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd

Car has done 32,000 kms and the 4th year service completed. i wanted to use synthetic oil this time from Shell, but then went for the usual Ford provided oil which I am still not sure if it is mineral or semi-synthetic. It doesn't matter since my last year running was just 5k kms and normally doesn't cross 10k kms, so non-synthetic oil works well.

Battery health was in red and was replaced. I managed to run close to 4 years on the original battery. Since there were some offers going on, I got the battery for 3k and the total bill came upto 7k.

The day before the service, I took the car for a short drive on the highway just to rip it since the oil was going to be replaced.
After some high speed runs and hard braking, I realized how ineffective the brakes get as they start heating up. The brake pedal travel increased and the effectiveness decreased. All this with just 5000 kms run brake pads. Since I do these kind of drives rarely, it is not much of a concern since otherwise on normal driving, the brakes a good enough.

The Alnac 4G tyres looks like they have life left, but get noisy on rough roads. I am planning to use them till they run atleast 40k kms and then change to a sticker rubber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Hello Tharian, looking to get my 3.5 year old, 23.5k run Figo remapped. I have a few queries.
Just saw this post, I guess you got the answers from the tuning thread.

Last edited by tharian : 19th March 2021 at 09:59.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 14:32   #227
Senior - BHPian

Used this oil additive after the last oil change. Usually it was the LM Oil Additive. '
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thought I'd try something else this time. This seems to be for both petrol and diesel engines and is a thick oil unlike the LM one which was as good as the engine oil viscosity.
Haven't driven much, but initial few kms were smooth probably because of the fresh oil as well. Hopefully will get a chance to do a highway drive soon and will be able to tell the difference.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 08:35   #228
BHPian

Hey Tharian & Other TDCI owners,

I own a Figo S TDCI which is primarily driven by my Father. Last month he was tested positive and had undergone quarantine. We all have since made a point to not venture out unless it's very important and unavoidable. This means, the Figo S has been standing for over a month without any movement. In all probability, that would be the case for the month of May as well.
- Any issue if it is not driven for more than 2 months?
- The car was serviced in Feb'21
- So far has done nearly 20K KMs in two years with one long trip and multiple 300 KM trips.
- Batterry is still the same and so far haven't shown any signs of draining
- Tyres were changed two years ago on the delivery day to Michelin

Last edited by VWAllstar : 25th April 2021 at 08:39.
Old 25th April 2021, 15:56   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
- So far has done nearly 20K KMs in two years with one long trip and multiple 300 KM trips.
I personally ensured, during the last year's lockdown, that both my cars went for a quick spin every other day even if for short grocery runs. I cannot imagine leaving the car un-driven for more than a few days at a stretch, and unless it's unavoidable, I will at least start the car and drive it around the parking lot or in the neighborhood without violating any lockdown regulations of course. To ensure that battery doesn't drain out, I will at least give it a crank every other day if it cannot be driven around at all.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 17:47   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Tharian & Other TDCI owners,

I own a Figo S TDCI which is primarily driven by my Father. Last month he was tested positive and had undergone quarantine. We all have since made a point to not venture out unless it's very important and unavoidable. This means, the Figo S has been standing for over a month without any movement. In all probability, that would be the case for the month of May as well.
- Tyres were changed two years ago on the delivery day to Michelin

There wouldn't be any issues. Just keep a tab on the battery since a diesel engine battery will last less than a petrol engine one. Mine was changed once it reached 4 years and I think that was because of the less running since last one year.

Since it is a diesel, it is better to drive for at least 10-15 mins since the engine takes time to reach operational temperature and doing that once in two weeks is fine.
Also check for rodents since a parked car for long durations are a favorite for rats.
Old 25th April 2021, 17:50   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I personally ensured, during the last year's lockdown, that both my cars went for a quick spin every other day even if for short grocery runs. I cannot imagine leaving the car un-driven for more than a few days at a stretch, and unless it's unavoidable, I will at least start the car and drive it around the parking lot or in the neighborhood without violating any lockdown regulations of course. To ensure that battery doesn't drain out, I will at least give it a crank every other day if it cannot be driven around at all.
That's all what I too did last year. Now it's a bit different here in Mumbai (probably everywhere) We are not stepping out of the house at all. My neighbours are positive and with my parents been on the wrong side of 60, don't wish to jeopardize anything to their health. With all probability, it is not going to be driven for another 2 weeks till everyone living near us recover and complete their quarantine period. With such modern technology and testing, I feel even a diesel car today can outlive the owner even if it is sparsely used ( at least have big hopes it really does)
Old 30th April 2021, 12:33   #232

Hello Tharian,
I own a 2020 Figo T blu TDCi with little over 10k kms on odo. I am looking to get a remap for my car in the near future. From Tbhp threads and reviews, I have shortlisted wolf moto(122hp/260nm) and code 6(130hp/290nm). I contacted both and the prices were 28k and 20k respectively. Hearing positive reviews about wolf all everywhere, Iam willing to pay a premium over others but I find an 8k premium is just too much. Is it worthy of that premium for what it offers? Kindly share your view on this.
Old 2nd May 2021, 14:24   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecenth View Post
Hearing positive reviews about wolf all everywhere, Iam willing to pay a premium over others but I find an 8k premium is just too much. Is it worthy of that premium for what it offers? Kindly share your view on this.
Addressed to Tharian, he would say more. Two cents from me - Go with Wolf Moto. They keep your stock map, develop customised ones to your liking and then the same level upgrades are free for the entire lifecycle of your car. They make sure their maps are not very agressive thus not much harm. For me, they made two custom maps and did not charge anything to change to the one I am currently using. Haven't experienced Code6 however there have been mixed reviews here and elsewhere on the net.
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 01:18   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
i wanted to use synthetic oil this time from Shell, but then went for the usual Ford provided oil which I am still not sure if it is mineral or semi-synthetic.
Ford uses Mobil semi synthetic oil for the TDCi. It's good up to 8000km with the stock ECU map. I've heard good feedback about Shell synthetic oil too. Since my car gobbles up 10k km in 6 months I'm sticking to the oil which Ford provides itself. Is there any effect on the engine after the EGR blank? I'm thinking of getting my car's EGR plate blanked out too. My car has run 52k kms in 3 years though.

Not thinking of a remap as the places I travel are quite long and at any point of time. So I'm skeptical about a remap due to this reason and engine life.

Last edited by jithin23 : 25th May 2021 at 01:20.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 07:02   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecenth View Post
Hello Tharian,
I own a 2020 Figo T blu TDCi with little over 10k kms on odo. I am looking to get a remap for my car in the near future. From Tbhp threads and reviews, I have shortlisted wolf moto(122hp/260nm) and code 6(130hp/290nm). I contacted both and the prices were 28k and 20k respectively. Hearing positive reviews about wolf all everywhere, Iam willing to pay a premium over others but I find an 8k premium is just too much. Is it worthy of that premium for what it offers? Kindly share your view on this.
Sorry for the late reply.

Adding to what VWallstar mentioned, I felt when it comes to drive-ability, Wolf Moto tunes are better and not aggressive like Code6. When I had Code6, the smoke was high and the pick up when the turbo kicked in was uncomfortable. With Wolf Moto, both these were sorted and fuel efficiency didn't take a hit. Since you have run just 10k kms, now will be a good time for the remap to get the maximum result of it.

Mainly, don't go by the figures they advertise, instead go by drive-ability and how much you have fun driving it with a particular map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Is there any effect on the engine after the EGR blank? I'm thinking of getting my car's EGR plate blanked out too. My car has run 52k kms in 3 years though.

Not thinking of a remap as the places I travel are quite long and at any point of time. So I'm skeptical about a remap due to this reason and engine life.
I havent found any difference after the EGR blanking. For me, the reason I did it was so the intake system especially remains clean and doesn't get clogged which will bring down performance over time.
You will have to get a remap to do a soft delete of the egr as well once it's blocked physically or else it will throw an error with the CEL lit always.

You can still do it although the car has crossed 50k.

Last edited by tharian : 25th May 2021 at 07:04.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 12:09   #236
Senior - BHPian

Car continues to going about its duties without a fuss.

Crossed the 33k kms mark on a trip to Chennai last weekend. Now the odo stands at 33,200 kms with another Chennai trip coming this month.
On the return from Chennai, I took a completely different route which was via Avadi,Thiruvallur,Tirupathi,Madanapalle and I joined the usual route only at Hoskote. Although this route was only 40 kms longer than the Chittoor route, it was almost 2 hours longer in duration because it was single lane roads all the way which made it fun to drive on.
Onwards, which was via Krishnagiri, the fuel efficiency was around 19 kmpl and on the return it should be lower since my speeds were not consistent for long durations and especially with the number of speedbreakers all the way.

This was the first highway trip after the last service and since the oil was fresh and with Cetane X fuel additive added, the engine NVH was just perfect.

Managed to take just one picture of the car which was once I entered Chennai. On the return, since I was driving alone and on a longer route, I just kept driving with just a fuel stop.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-img_8359.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 11th July 2021 at 12:13.
tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 22:43   #237
Senior - BHPian

Odo stand at 33,950 kms after the latest Chennai trip last week.

It was business as usual and this time I drove with a light foot and realised it makes a big difference in fuel efficiency. I have a habit of flooring the gas pedal after every gear change or roll on which eats into the fuel efficiency. This time I tried giving gentle jabs on the pedal and realised I am getting more or less the same pick up and using less fuel as noted from less or no smoke.

I did this for half the journey and unlike the other trips, the average consumption on the MID did not drop when I entered city limits. it stayed the same till I got home. I haven't refilled to check the actual efficiency, but I am sure it was better than usual which makes a difference with the fuel prices.

The onward journey was fast for the first 100 kms from Bangalore and I got some open stretches where I could floor it for a good distance. Engine still performs as it did when I first got the remap and did a long distance, which was around 25k kms ago. It doesn't sound rough or louder in any way which I what I wanted since it is a diesel.

Return was a relaxed drive since it was with family and that is when I tried the light foot driving.

Some pictures taken this time and spotting couple of Citroen CSUV test mules.
The last picture shows why I chose the Aspire over the Figo although I am not a big fan of compact sedans. I needed the luggage space for trips which this car can manage.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-866ddc5c1e28460c9a2955c0da214be5.jpeg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-23cd2220232e45f982a430be4366d6e0.jpeg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-e2542c83f9d74f1abb847b38044a4479.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 2nd August 2021 at 22:47.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 11:56   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Lubricated the gear shift linkages at the bottom of the car today.

It was the easiest DIY I have done on this car. I couldn't get the 3M spray and instead got this grease mix spray;

Sheeba Liquid Grease Spray (500 ml) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07G6K15MD/..._gEASCbAC0R5ZS

Used it at all the joints and will keep a watch how much it helps. The creaky low noise still occurs from below the gear lever still and if I can remove the centre console, i can use this there too. That would be the next DIY.
Tharian, is this the post you referred to for my Figo's gear shifting issue? There is an evident issue with the GB slotting from 1st to 2nd and vice versa.

Can you provide few details to nake it work better and smoother?
Old 4th September 2021, 12:00   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tharian, is this the post you referred to for my Figo's gear shifting issue? There is an evident issue with the GB slotting from 1st to 2nd and vice versa.

Can you provide few details to nake it work better and smoother?
Yes, this was the post.

Is the issue still there after doing the above? If yes, I would suggest taking the car to a known FNG since the Ford A.S.S cannot fix it.
Old 4th September 2021, 12:06   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this was the post.

Is the issue still there after doing the above? If yes, I would suggest taking the car to a known FNG since the Ford A.S.S cannot fix it.
I havent done it so far. Where is the shifter located? Is it required to remove the bumper?

Most Viewed