Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2018, 19:18   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Smoke levels from my car after the re-map. Hardly any change, in fact looks like it has reduced.
I could see puff of smoke only at beginning. Was the car on full throttle later?

If there is more power and also lesser smoke, I could think of only one possibility. The turbo boost should be up . Did you log boost values before and after remap?
Old 4th February 2018, 19:53   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I could see puff of smoke only at beginning. Was the car on full throttle later?

If there is more power and also lesser smoke, I could think of only one possibility. The turbo boost should be up . Did you log boost values before and after remap?
I would say 90-95% throttle.

That puff in the beginning was flooring it on first gear which I hardly do. I noticed later on, the slight smoke seen is only when the turbo is spooling up.
Boost is up slightly when D3mon and me did a comparo with his RD box Aspire by doing some runs and logging it.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 20:15   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Boost is up slightly when D3mon and me did a comparo with his RD box Aspire by doing some runs and logging it.
I believe RD box will fool the boost values. Actual boost would be higher, but it will show lower when you log.

Better to log boost in stock and tuned car. Remapped Figo / Aspire diesel should be really quick. As I said before on remap thread, S-Cross 1.6 couldn't even keep up with Code 6 tuned Figo .
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 20:21   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I believe RD box will fool the boost values. Actual boost would be higher, but it will show lower when you log.

Better to log boost in stock and tuned car. Remapped Figo / Aspire diesel should be really quick. As I said before on remap thread, S-Cross 1.6 couldn't even keep up with Code 6 tuned Figo .
I am planning on that aggressive map down the line. Didn't want to push it since the engine is relatively new. The one now is good enough and I am waiting for an oil and air filter change to know the true effect. Now the turbo kick is quite aggressive when flooring it which I kinda don't like.
But by gradual acceleration, it is fine.

The 'DRLs' in action
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-8a20a7c645fe42c4a1b156da39420361.jpeg  

tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 21:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

Did the first non-city drive this evening, although a short one after the remap.
The car picks up speed rapidly for sure. The noise is slightly gruff during higher revs now and seems to smoke a bit more. I got the air filter replaced which resulted in the low end torque improving.
More smoke I feel is because I've been driving very sedately during the last few weeks which would have led to soot build up in the exhaust.

But at the end, the car is seriously quick now. There is a usual stretch behind the airport where I do speed runs due to the roads being straight and empty.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-1e3dbf4867b04b5197fcfbcabc002a79.jpeg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-92c603054fa049fd96299e6eedb2540e.jpeg  

tharian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 12:04   #81
Senior - BHPian

Done with the longest trip of 1400 kms in this car and along with it the 10,000 kms service.

The car has completed 10,400 kms and was dropped off for the second service which is just the oil and oil filter change. This is a free service in which labor is not charged.

Over the weekend, I had completed a trip covering Velankanni and Dhanuskodi and back. I was so glad that I did the re-map since I could make out the very obvious difference in power on the highway.

Roads in TN are more or less always on the better side and although just part of my journey was on toll roads, the single lane roads were good too.
The mid range is were the fun is. I could compare with many of previous trips before the remap in regards to the power since the turbo spooled up quicker and the thrust was much higher. This helps a lot out on the highway when you want to clear a number of vehicles in one shot and gain a distance from them catching again.
I kept the same speeds as always , but at the same time I was able to overtake vehicles with hardly downshifting and again go back to my cruising speeds. The best part of it all, the mid showed up to 23kmpl which at the end of the trip was 21 kmpl from the usual 18-19 kmpl on highways.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 20:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

Cost of 2nd free service was 1,700/- which included the oil and oil filter as well as two rubber bushes for the door.

The engine has got much silent now. The power comes much quicker and with just part throttle. The air filter was replaced before the trip which has added to the better power delivery. Oil and air filter were two things I had to replace for the full effect of the remap and it sure has worked.

I thought of going back to Code6 few months down the line to get the EGR full block done and get the aggressive map since I still couldn't get the actual effect of the remap.
Now after the service, I'll hold that thought.

Some pictures of the trip including some beautiful stretches of ECoast road and the arrow straight Dhanushkodi road.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-08812432624b46cdaaa715dcf66fcf46.jpeg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-cffbd39624584eaf9e6e5d21e740ac8b.jpeg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-5dbd6781b266410eb5bc6f66657cf29d.jpeg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-351ab38f9f3b40be9c24575be2e53d29.jpeg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-5d29754a1f0b44ce88f2ea7f00e9eca0.jpeg  

Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-35d434aedf034580bdfe4724f148590b.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 6th March 2018 at 20:20.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 17:56   #83
BHPian

Quote:
The engine has got much silent now. The power comes much quicker and with just part throttle. The air filter was replaced before the trip which has added to the better power delivery. Oil and air filter were two things I had to replace for the full effect of the remap and it sure has worked.
Got to drive Tharian's remapped rocket over the weekend and it certainly has a stronger bottom end than what I remember which makes it much easier to drive in the city. It has less lag than before and takes off post 3K with a nice raspy engine note (my remapped jet is more linear). Couldn't really push it, but the funny part is it idles smoother than my remapped petrol T-Jet from the inside..go figure.

Great little car.
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 08:35   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Couldn't really push it, but the funny part is it idles smoother than my remapped petrol T-Jet from the inside..go figure.

Great little car.
Thanks Keroo.

I guess the smoothness was because of the fresh engine oil and the diesel additive that I have been using for few thousand kms. There was also a fuel injector cleaner mix in that tankful, probably all added to the smoothness.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 18:09   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought of going back to Code6 few months down the line to get the EGR full block done and get the aggressive map since I still couldn't get the actual effect of the remap.
Good to see the updates about your remap experience. Car seems to be doing well post remap and the recent service. IIRC, you have already blanked the EGR right? So you would have to only soft delete it from your map?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
This needs to be used either with the OBDLink MX Bluetooth adapter, or a wired USB connector that I got from Aliexpress.
Thanks for sharing this very good information!! Could you please share the link for the wired USB connector that you bought? Thanks again.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 19th March 2018 at 18:11.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 18:54   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Thanks for sharing this very good information!! Could you please share the link for the wired USB connector that you bought? Thanks again.
Here you go:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAOZ...805001731.html
d3mon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 19:38   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Good to see the updates about your remap experience. Car seems to be doing well post remap and the recent service. IIRC, you have already blanked the EGR right? So you would have to only soft delete it from your map? .
The EGR work I did was using a blanking plate with a tiny hole in the center so the CEL doesn't come up. I wanted a full delete done via software which as per Code6 was possible if I physically blank the valve completely using another plate that I have which doesn't have a hole.
I don't think I will be doing that now. The EGR set up I have at present is good for the engine to a point, compared to stock.

In case I go for a more aggressive map, which I don't think I will be for a while, then will do the full EGR block.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 18:32   #88
Senior - BHPian

In the process of getting the diesel engine to feel close to a gasoline in NVH, I tried the Liqui Moly oil additive.
Its 200 ml can which is added fully to the engine oil. I drove around 30 kms in which the changes were quite obvious. The smoothness has increased and in cabin noise has decreased. There is a nice thrum when the engine is revving and in low rpms it is almost gasoline quiet.
I'm also using diesel fuel additives for a while now which has helped.
The engine oil was replaced 300 kms back and I need to see how long the effect will last.
As of now the car has run 10800 kms .
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 20:29   #89
BHPian

Quote:
The EGR work I did was using a blanking plate with a tiny hole in the center so the CEL doesn't come up.

So the CEL isn't coming up after you have installed a blanking plate? I read that even after piercing a hole the CEL comes up intermittently.
Old 7th April 2018, 20:37   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
So the CEL isn't coming up after you have installed a blanking plate? I read that even after piercing a hole the CEL comes up intermittently.
No CEL. It has been more than 5k kms since I fitted it. This was a good quality plate I got from UK specifically for the Duratorq engine.

Most Viewed